Eng v Pak: 2nd Test: Day 1 [Update Thread]

There's always a 'chance' sleepless and uzzy.

If only the freaking pitch wasn't crap.

Man I love my team.

cinderella said:
There's always a 'chance' sleepless and uzzy.

If only the freaking pitch wasn't crap.

Man I love my team.
if we even manage to draw this one by any chance...then this will be the greatest ever DRAWN test match in the history of pakistan cricket.....!

but never say never...still have 4 more day's to go....

but this is pathetic , yet again under bowling freedi ...........when will we learn ?

Havent we been under worse situations?

Only difference is that this time we need our bowling to prevail...

Pepsi™ said:
Havent we been under worse situations?

Only difference is that this time we need our bowling to prevail...

Thats really asking for alot.

Sleepless_on_PakPassion said:
if we even manage to draw this one by any chance...then this will be the greatest ever DRAWN test match in the history of pakistan cricket.....!

but never say never...still have 4 more day's to go....

but this is pathetic , yet again under bowling freedi ...........when will we learn ?

Yeah I know....hoping for a draw now, but most likely we gonna lose :p Didn't mean to break anyone's hopes here........
still, if we get England all out, say, 300 runs the way it looks now, and then pak keeps playing...and playing, for say 600 runs or so and then do a magnificent job of bowling while England plays crap........
:29:

Nah my heart keeps saying we'll win, but that's cuz Im biased.

cinderella said:
Yeah I know....hoping for a draw now, but most likely we gonna lose :p Didn't mean to break anyone's hopes here........
still, if we get England all out, say, 300 runs the way it looks now, and then pak keeps playing...and playing, for say 600 runs or so and then do a magnificent job of bowling while England plays crap........
:29:

Nah my heart keeps saying we'll win, but that's cuz Im biased.

If only...

maybe we should have played Waqar Younis after all.
And Zaheer Abbas, ofcourse.

mooz said:
maybe we should have played Waqar Younis after all.
And Zaheer Abbas, ofcourse.

While we're at it we should have called up Wasim, Imran, Mushtaq Ahmed.

Not a good finish for pakistan, once again they start off a test match badly. It will require a much rearguard effort to save this test match and to be in a position from which we can win this match.

England finish the day with 49 runs lead, the match is not over yet and pakistan is known to comeback from the dead. INSHALLAH tommorow will be a successful day for pakistan and the rest following days.

Bilsher007 said:
Not a good finish for pakistan, once again they start off a test match badly. It will require a much rearguard effort to save this test match and to be in a position from which we can win this match.

England finish the day with 49 runs lead, the match is not over yet and pakistan is known to comeback from the dead. INSHALLAH tommorow will be a successful day for pakistan and the rest following days.

Forget about winning. That is probably out of the question now. We can only try to draw it now and even that looks almost out of reach.

match situation is very reminiscent of Banglore '86, Pakistan finished with a score in the 120s in the first innings, with maninder singh taking 7. India finished the first day with 2 wickets down(just as England today), and went on to lose the game by 16 runs.

Uzzy said:
Forget about winning. That is probably out of the question now. We can only try to draw it now and even that looks almost out of reach.

Just cuz it looks improbable doesn' t mean it can't happen.
A draw would be a pretty good comeback thou.
A win would be.........well. Excellente.

Uzzy said:

draw is actually less likely than a win, given the amount of time left in the game.

Ture. Younis quite optmistic as of right now. Everything depends on the pitch.

Ian botham should never have been allowed to be a commentator. David llyod, michael atherton are just piece of rubbish biased commentators. They just talk about england blah blah blah. Pathetic. English commentators should stink all the way through.

Younis khan has made some positive statement whilst being interviewed briefly by atherton.

Guys please be positive, i know how it looks right now for pakistan as the likely result looks like a england victory but pakistan is the only team in the world who have the ability to change things from hopeless situation.

If Pakistan don't get early wickets tomorrow then England will probably bat the day and from there on the match would be very hard not to win, unless our bowlers go into ODI mode as opposed to Sabina Park mode in the 2nd innings...

Bilsher007 said:
Ian botham should never have been allowed to be a commentator. David llyod, michael atherton are just piece of rubbish biased commentators. They just talk about england blah blah blah. Pathetic. English commentators should stink all the way through.

Younis khan has made some positive statement whilst being interviewed briefly by atherton.

Guys please be positive, i know how it looks right now for pakistan as the likely result looks like a england victory but pakistan is the only team in the world who have the ability to change things from hopeless situation.

Have Australia been kicked out of test cricket? Nice bitter comments about England btw.

cinderella said:
Just cuz it looks improbable doesn' t mean it can't happen.
A draw would be a pretty good comeback thou.
A win would be.........well. Excellente.

a win would be as good as choc for u cin :p

Draw should not be in the minds of the boys. Once you lose winning mentality, you lose it completely.

Uzzy said:

Uzzy bhai just remember constant hardwork, innovative strategies and duas to ALLAH can change situtation and complexion of the whole match. Don't lose hope please continue to believe, i wish i was one of the pakistani commentators so that i could have given more positive and punching statements. Rameez raja is just a dissappointment.

AmitMishra bowls wrongun said:
a win would be as good as choc for u cin :p

Draw should not be in the minds of the boys. Once you lose winning mentality, you lose it completely.

Yeah true that. Looks pretty bad right now, but all hope is NOT lost, I like how everyone here thinks Pak can pull it back, and they CAN. But, will they?

It looked bad when Pakistan were 76 all out at Adelaide :D

Well time will tell but we should continue to carry the torch of Imran Khan and his cornered tigers :D

Whippy squash said:
If Pakistan don't get early wickets tomorrow then England will probably bat the day and from there on the match would be very hard not to win, unless our bowlers go into ODI mode as opposed to Sabina Park mode in the 2nd innings...

i don't think there is any chance left for Pakistan right now. England at worst gona lead by 150 wich will be to much for Pak.

Everyone knows that were the positions reversed, Pakistan fans would be writing off England completely. Hypocrisy FTW.

Whippy squash said:
Everyone knows that were the positions reversed, Pakistan fans would be writing off England completely. Hypocrisy FTW.

who is giving Pak a chance?

Whippy squash said:

Not really, I'm always cautious no matter how good our chances are.

I must say, thank god an English groundsman has finally prepared a wicket thats actually suited to England instead of the opposition.

Whippy squash said:
I must say, thank god an English groundsman has finally prepared a wicket thats actually suited to England instead of the opposition.

Still 2 more tests to go ;-)

Uzzy said:
Not really, I'm always cautious no matter how good our chances are.

So am I, and secretly I am wondering what this match has in store. But when you get bitter posters complaining about England its hard not to fire back.

one of my friends was going to take his kids to the 4th day of the test match :(

for some reason i want to laugh instead of cry!

Whippy squash said:
He will give us a dry turner at the Oval...

heck i want bounce, i want pace, i want Harmi, iwant KP, i want Hoggard i want Fred, i want Sajjid, i want Amir!!! BRING THEM ALL!

Whippy squash said:
Have Australia been kicked out of test cricket? Nice bitter comments about England btw.

I don't think you know much about pakistan cricket history. I accept australia are the leading team in the world and have dominated world cricket for long. However pakistan plays somewhat different from australia and are known for comebacks from a hopeless situations.

Pakistan team have been in somewhat similar situations in past a
and at times they have succeeded amazingly and at times they have failed.

England can smile for now as they deserve it since they took good advantage out of the wicket earlier in the day. I would love to faces of english commentators and english fans when pakistan give a huge punch INSHALLAH.

As if Australia never came back from hopeless situations or died trying at least...

Clearly a dreadful batting display today. From 90-2 2 overs before lunch in conditions that appeared to be settling is simply terrible. Allied to that, this is probably one of the worst pace attacks we have fielded in the last 15 years. From here, anything but a heavy defeat is extremely unlikely.
Nevertheless, we should not give up hope on the series at all. Even if we lose this, there are still 2 games to go with the hope (!) that some of the better pace bowlers will be available.

Pakistan test has just one player who when does okay Pakistan does okay and when he fails Pakistan fails....with the exception of last test match it has been a one man show Inzamam ul Haq.....He went for a duck and here we are in a precarious position

We are NOT out of the game yet. We have come back from worse positions.

Easa said:
We are NOT out of the game yet. We have come back from worse positions.

Name the recent positions that were worse than this one and resulted in a Pak win?

if you guys have seen the pitch before the toss i swear you could be forgiven for thinking it was headingley.

the grass the overcast conditions and the bounce.It was like karachi 06.only that we did'nt have a rear guard action like last time.

Uzzy said:
We are actually in a worser position than all 3.

The Karachi match we were 39-6.

The Mohali match we had 4 wickets left and a whole day to survive.

Multan, we were behind on the first innings, then we made only 170 odd, but still managed to win by 22 runs.

We are NOT out of this game!

The Karachi match we were 39-6.

With contributions from Akhtar, Razzaq, and Akmal guiding us to a respectable total of 245 while here we have been bowled out for less!

The Mohali match we had 4 wickets left and a whole day to survive.

Hmm, ok I'll give you that one.

Multan, we were behind on the first innings, then we made only 170 odd, but still managed to win by 22 runs.

We made 274 in the 1st innings in Multan, now compare that to 119 all out.

Whippy squash said:
Name the recent positions that were worse than this one and resulted in a Pak win?

39-6 with everygood batsman gone. At Mohali, where we came out of nowhere to draw. And i think there was one more. Was it Karachi? or Banglaore?

Easa said:
Multan 2005, Karachi 2006, Mohali 2005 etc.

We dont have the bowling attack to emulate the first two performances. Simple as that.

I sgain say it was a very stupid move to send Kami to open. He has been a key man whenever Pakistan were in trouble, and he pulled us out with his splendid knocks lower down the order. This move has backfired horribly, and I hope Bob and Inzi learn from this big mistake! Salman should come back the next test

Exactly what I presented in another thread. Akmal has pulled us out along with Razzaq, and he could have done it this time, too. And I agree with the bowling. We certainly don't have the same firepower. But if not win, how abt draw.

I mean u realize that if Pakistan can bowl England out mircaulously under 200 we're back in the game, even 250, we're still in the game.

hasan316 said:
Lanat hai pakistani team pay.

Refrain from such comments yaar. Its just one day we have turned up with a performance like this. Hopefully we will improve as the tests go on

Its not over yet. After all we are playing against England.
I've Tivo'd the days play and will the view the slaughter in fast forward. However, just by reading what the cricinfo commentators have been writing, I am concerned with the lack of control the Pakistani bowlers have been exhibiting. I would expect Umar Gul to be deadly effective on a "land mine" pitch like this, at the same time one would expect with Sami bowling at 90 ish miles an hour in "the area of unceratinity" (just short of good length) there would definetly be some damage. Wishful thinking I guess.
The other thing that raises a question is the exclusion of Yasir Arafat, with a wicket like this you would think they would give Yasir a shot in place of perhaps a still not fully fit Sami. The only argument against that would be that Yasir is still pretty green and essentially the same kind of skiddy bowler like Sami. However, having seen him bowl in the ODI's in Pakistan I feel he has a good head on his shoulders and trys to "think" the batsman out, is very confident and aggresive.
Finally, I hope/feel if we can somehow initiate an England collapse tomorrow and then Danish is your man on the last day providing we give him some runs to defend.

Back