Eng v Pak: 2nd Test: Day 1 [Update Thread]

ShowStopper

Local Club Captain
Runs
Only about 3 hours to go before the kick off. Both teams are struggling with injuries. England has more injuries to their a batting line up and Pak is almost dead in bowling, but their batting made up for it in the 1st test.

Good news for Pak is that Younish the Pak Run machine for the last two years is back and Yousaf having scored 250 runs in the 1st match should be in good touch, and then there is the immovable Inzi. Pak has good chances of winning, if they feild better than last time and England Harmison and Hoggard would be dangerous.

Note:- Please don't start bluffing post only related to the match. Thanks for your co-operation.

SECOND TEST, OLD TRAFFORD, DAY ONE:
England v Pakistan

England picked fast bowler Sajid Mahmood to play at his home ground of Old Trafford in Manchester in the second Test against Pakistan.

Gloucestershire's Jon Lewis was the man left out and Mahmood replaces the injured Liam Plunkett in the only change from the drawn first Test.

It is sunny and warm at Old Trafford and a full day's play is expected.

Pakistan have yet to announce their line-up for the Test, which has sold out for the first four days.

BBC Sport Update
- Sajid Mahmood will play against Pakistan, but, why haven't Pakistan announced their team yet.........could our formidable duo of Razzaq and Afridi be injured????????

win the toss bat first for pak or will england ball first on a bouncy track?

Pakistan win the toss and bat ...great...Happy to see Salma out...Wooohoooo

So Iqbal in at 6, then Razzaq, then Afridi, then Sami, Gul, Kaneria

Not a bad game

If Akmal opens first innings, then he'll be ok, cuz he can rest after making his 100!

Pakistan win the toss and bat Inzamam-ul-Haq calls correctly and prepares to pad up. He's braced for a bit of swing for the first eight overs, but the pitch is flat and true, and with nine fifties in a row against England, he'll be eager to cash in.

absolutely...Kami can rest after he scores 50.....it would be enough time for him for preparing himself for keeping

1- Akmal
2- Farhat
3- Y Khan
4- Yousuf
5- Inzi
6- F Iqbal
7- Razzaq
8- Afridi
9- Sami
10- Gul
11- Kaneria

how could a batsman who was more out of form than Butt be retained

Team Pak:
Danish Kaneria, Abdul Razzaq, Mohammad Yousuf, Imran Farhat, Mohammad Sami, Faisal Iqbal, Umar Gul, Kamran Akmal, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan

Team England:

AJ Strauss, MJ Hoggard, KP Pietersen, MS Panesar, ME Trescothick, IR Bell, SI Mahmood, PD Collingwood, AN Cook, GO Jones, SJ Harmison

Faisal Iqbal got more edges than all batsman combined in 1st test, he was nearly out nearly 10-15 times in his 44

im not talking about Farhat, im talking about Faisal Iqbal

How come they wont show Pakistan in the nets and stuff!

BIASED SKY SPORTS!

i think salman should hav been given one more chance we drew the first match we didnt lose it it wil not do his confidence any good. maybe this wil be the last we see of him for a while?

Harmison, Hoggard and Saj Mahmood will be dangerous earlier on..........if we can see of these three in the first 8-10 overs......we can really build a good total..........and remember England will have to bat last on this wicket.........so we really need a good first innings total...

sharuk said:
Faisal Iqbal got more edges than all batsman combined in 1st test, he was nearly out nearly 10-15 times in his 44

im not talking about Farhat, im talking about Faisal Iqbal
Iqbal got out for 0 (bounce) and 48 at Lord's - I'd rather have him in team, and I have a ball-by-ball of Iqbal's innings at Lord's (his 48) , and I didn't see ANY chances that England had to get him out

Interesting change there for Pakistan, with Akmal thrust up the order and Faisal Iqbal retained at No. 6.

lutonbadboy said:
Harmison, Hoggard and Saj Mahmood will be dangerous earlier on..........if we can see of these three in the first 8-10 overs......we can really build a good total..........and remember England will have to bat last on this wicket.........so we really need a good first innings total...
England crumble to Pakistan in the 4th innings :D

zMario said:
Iqbal got out for 0 (bounce) and 48 at Lord's - I'd rather have him in team, and I have a ball-by-ball of Iqbal's innings at Lord's (his 48) , and I didn't see ANY chances that England had to get him out

i hope iqbal sxcored a double ton...but u must have the record of a different innings...he played an awful slog,swipe of a quickie which was absolutely village...he edged atleast two balls behind for which no one appealed...and yes many balls edged to thirdman too

good move...especially now that we are opening...afridi can be brought in to bat in second innings whenever we feel the need to impose..out batting has alot of depth and faisal is a good fielder too.

I am happy...come on farhat and kami!

10.40am "The first hour is crucial." Possibly a candidate for the most over-used cliche in cricket, but today it is very, very true indeed. England have just four bowlers to rotate, including Panesar the spinner who wouldn't be expected to have much impact on the first morning. So it's over to Steve Harmison and Matthew Hoggard with the new ball, and Sajid Mahmood with the home-ground advantage. They've got the cloud cover to assist them, and a new opening partnership to get stuck into. Early strikes, and a chance to attack Mohammad Yousuf and Inzamam-ul-Haq while the ball is still hard and talking, is what the England strategy requires.

Something for cry baby.
Ian Botham's pitch report He loves it. Absolutely loves it. Grassy covering on a good length, hard, bouncy, juicy. He may have turned 50, but I haven't seen him this eager to take the new ball since Viv Richards retired. Expect some forthright commentary from Beefy if England's bowlers get it wrong this morning. :)):)):))

Lots of straight drives by Younis! I hope he can do that vs Harmison today - ELEGANT DRIVES!

LOOL!

Sky have nothing better to do, but send people to Australia for The Ashes

Oooo, now its for the test at Adelaide!

I want to call it nonsense. Akmal should not open. might as well let Afridi open

Sami is still in the side,because PIA will not fly him back home for free and pakistan doesn't want to spend anymore money on him.

So Farhat and Akmal confirmed as openers - I guess if you play this formation, then it helps to be be batting 1st....and if it pays off, you can change it for the 2nd inngs.

Whats the crowd like? They are sayings a full house already on BBC Commentary.

Oxy™ said:
So Farhat and Akmal confirmed as openers - I guess if you play this formation, then it helps to be be batting 1st....and if it pays off, you can change it for the 2nd inngs.

Whats the crowd like? They are sayings a full house already on BBC Commentary.
Lots of people in line to get in were holding Pakistan flags!

We have a good batting lineup today YK, Inzi, Yousuf Iqbal Afridi Razzaq after these two!

Can't understand why Sami though...

I have a feeling sending Kamran up the order was a good move - Salman would be out by now

Back