England (321/8) defeat India (316/9) by 5 runs to win the 3rd ODI

I know you are a Rahane fan. Sorry mate.

Such things happen in life.

I think the best thing for Rahane is to go back and completely rebuild his ODI game and then pound the doors for selection.

In a way, this dismissal is good for Rahane.

Kohli in, I think we should try someone else for opening, idk if Pant opens but if he does would be worth trying him out, if it works out we could give Dhoni's replacement some experience before dhoni leaves.

Rahul should still play, along with someone new. Not a fan of Dhawan. If Rohit returns before champions trophy then i guess its Rahul + Rohit

Kohli in, I think we should try someone else for opening, idk if Pant opens but if he does would be worth trying him out, if it works out we could give Dhoni's replacement some experience before dhoni leaves.

Rahul should still play, along with someone new. Not a fan of Dhawan. If Rohit returns before champions trophy then i guess its Rahul + Rohit

Rahul + Roit will do I think

Rahane and Dhawan should be nowhere near Indian LOI teams. Rahane has done nothing in ODI's apart from that inning against South Africa in the 2015 world cup.

Virat you beauty, two poor balls but he has punished them. Thats what good batsman do.

I know you are a Rahane fan. Sorry mate.

Such things happen in life.

I think the best thing for Rahane is to go back and completely rebuild his ODI game and then pound the doors for selection.

In a way, this dismissal is good for Rahane.

Rahane struggles against the moving ball at the start of his innings. Struggled in SL when he was promoted to no 3 when Pujara opened the batting. That's why he struggles against spinners too, just doesn't get a long stride forward, which begs the question what the hell is Bangar doing?

I like Rahane and he is young, so it's normal to have some weakness at this age. It's the job of support staff to identify and rectify the mistakes these players are making.

Rahane's best innings came at Lords when Dravid was there with the team. As soon as Dravid left, Indian batting went downhill.

If India needs to nurture it's talent, they need to bring a well qualified batting and bowling coach.

My worst nightmare, my stream is 3 balls behind cric info.... Hate when this happens! #FirstWorldProblems

Even ignoring technical deficiencies, Rahane has issues with rotating the strike.

He has had enough chances in LOI cricket, time to give the likes of Pant a chance.

Why isn't Kohli opening the innings?

In this 3 match series he has practically opened the innings and has been comfortable as ever in doing so. If you look at the last year's IPL there too he opened the innings for the whole tournament and had his best possible season. So with Indian openers being mediocre wouldn't it be best for the team that he opens the innings and add a hitter in lower order? And if not in ODIs then for T20 it makes perfect sense.

Coming in earlier only means more runs for the taking with fielder inside the circle

Last edited:
Willeys good balls were pretty good and his over was decent baring the wides. But he walks off, not good for england!

1000 Runs as captain for kohli, suprised.

Quickest to get there!

All must learn from baffling tactics of BCCI who make one attempt after another to dish out pitches that suit the visiting teams, making a mockery of HOME CONDITIONS

This is why I dislike Rahul

Yea its annoying, he plays well and has the talent but consitency isa hugeee problem even in tests.

He averages 69 or someit in ODI but the thing is he scored a 100 and has barely scored anything around that 100

Rahane struggles against the moving ball at the start of his innings. Struggled in SL when he was promoted to no 3 when Pujara opened the batting. That's why he struggles against spinners too, just doesn't get a long stride forward, which begs the question what the hell is Bangar doing?

I like Rahane and he is young, so it's normal to have some weakness at this age. It's the job of support staff to identify and rectify the mistakes these players are making.

Rahane's best innings came at Lords when Dravid was there with the team. As soon as Dravid left, Indian batting went downhill.

If India needs to nurture it's talent, they need to bring a well qualified batting and bowling coach.

If Rahane has issues, he has to sort it. Not Bangar.

If Ashwin has issues, he has to sort it. Not Kumble.

Rahane didn't score Lord's 100 because Dravid was there. Nor did he flop because of Bangar whom the team rates big time as a quality coach.

Rahane is flopping cos he is not working on his weakness. He has a huge problem not getting his stride forward and till date, he hasn't sorted it out.

Exactly. If you have a batting problem will you go to Praveen Amre or Sachin Tendulkar?

Qualified coaches are different from good bats. Qualified coaches are those who take the coaching program and know the intricate details inside out. The good bats can help with some tips but they can't correct major flaws in batting.

All must learn from baffling tactics of BCCI who make one attempt after another to dish out pitches that suit the visiting teams, making a mockery of HOME CONDITIONS

Maybe its weather not bcci. Pitch making is not a perfect science.Sometimes even curator is clueless about it.

Lol there is a LOT of seam and bounce. Shows how bad outbowling was when it let England score 321 here.

Do you like anyone bro? Just asking.No offence.I see you always criticise newcomers a lot.

Among newcomers - Manish(if u can call him that),Bumrah,Brar,Jayant,Saha(again depends if u can call him that),I'm not a big fan of Hardik due to his one dimensional batting but he has done pretty well this series having said that I feel he would feel the pressure today.

Overall: Shami,Umesh,Ash,Bhuvi,Kohli.

It is a dead rubber and the CT in England is up next.

Very good pitch.

All these Test players trying to fit in this ODI side isn't working for me.

Yea its annoying, he plays well and has the talent but consitency isa hugeee problem even in tests.

He averages 69 or someit in ODI but the thing is he scored a 100 and has barely scored anything around that 100

Yes his graph would be a nightmare for a share trader.

Among newcomers - Manish(if u can call him that),Bumrah,Brar,Jayant,Saha(again depends if u can call him that),I'm not a big fan of Hardik due to his one dimensional batting but he has done pretty well this series having said that I feel he would feel the pressure today.

Overall: Shami,Umesh,Ash,Bhuvi,Kohli.
OK fair enough.

Perhaps that does not excuse the fact that our bowling is quite mediocre. We need a couple of quality quicks if we are to compete in England in two years' time.

Bowling would be immaterial in England.You might as well bowl using bowling machines.They are gone get thrashed.(odi only)

Not sure why Kohli is not rotating the strike enough for his usual self,wonder if its coz Yuvi has become slow.

Perhaps that does not excuse the fact that our bowling is quite mediocre. We need a couple of quality quicks if we are to compete in England in two years' time.

We have Shami and Bhuvi did bowl well early on and will do the same in England.

Can't rely on Kohli all the time. Need the quicks and the openers to deliver . We are almost a 1 man army these days .

Yup and that reminds me of the worst time,would be interesting to see how Yuvi,Dhoni develop now.

Bowling would be immaterial in England.You might as well bowl using bowling machines.They are gone get thrashed.(odi only)

No it's not immaterial. That's a terrible attitude towards bowling. Hopefully our management does not think similarly. It will be the difference between chasing 300 and 450.

Rahul is too desperate to prove his ODI credentials which is leading to his downfall. I don't find him a natural in this format.

He improved a lot after the last ipl season. Another season working with Kohli and AB will do wonders.

Rahul is too desperate to prove his ODI credentials which is leading to his downfall. I don't find him a natural in this format.

I think he is an all format player.

His brain has been short circuited of late.

Why would anyone back up and try to thrash the ball in the first couple of overs when they have all the shots in the book?

He is too eager to ape Sehwag without realizing he can bat at a very high pace if he just cuts down on his super risky shots.

I think he is an all format player.

His brain has been short circuited of late.

Why would anyone back up and try to thrash the ball in the first couple of overs when they have all the shots in the book?

He is too eager to ape Sehwag without realizing he can bat at a very high pace if he just cuts down on his super risky shots.

This. His approach is not calculative enough. We let Sehwag play the way he did because we could afford to do do back then. We need someone to play a bit more restrainedly at the top which Rahul doesn't seem capable of.

Last edited:
Ugh! Yuvraj is not looking fluent today.Can get out anytime.Hope he does not.

320 is a tough chase, if india make it, it will be their best effort this series.

That was nasty, that ball!

This. His approach is calculative enough. We let Sehwag play the way he did because we could afford to do do back then. We need someone to play a bit more restrainedly at the top which Rahul doesn't seem capable of.

I think we let him play that way cos only Sehwag can pull it off.

Sehwag was never this inconsistent. Even he may have been dropped if he scored like this.

Plunket to bowl. I think PLunket has been brought in to counter Kohli. wasn't needed last match lets see how he does today.

Rahul is just trying to be what he isn't. Classical cricket shots (with the odd power shot) is good enough for ODIs, especially if you have someone like Kohli around. You have to try hard to suck out momentum from an innings!

So, should go back, think hard and come back and play sensibly. Him and Rohit are our best chance at the top in the short run.

Kohli is playing really well and leaving well on the off side too. Shows the work ethic of the man, fixing his weakness as he goes on!

If Rahane has issues, he has to sort it. Not Bangar.

If Ashwin has issues, he has to sort it. Not Kumble.

Rahane didn't score Lord's 100 because Dravid was there. Nor did he flop because of Bangar whom the team rates big time as a quality coach.

Rahane is flopping cos he is not working on his weakness. He has a huge problem not getting his stride forward and till date, he hasn't sorted it out.

Exactly. If you have a batting problem will you go to Praveen Amre or Sachin Tendulkar?

Qualified coaches are different from good bats. Qualified coaches are those who take the coaching program and know the intricate details inside out. The good bats can help with some tips but they can't correct major flaws in batting.

Not sure Bangar is qualified to be the batting coach of an international team. Kohli went to Sachin not Bangar to sort his technique.

I agree that ultimate responsibility lies with the players but coach is there for a reason. If a player is making the same mistakes for the last two years you will question the coach.

If Ashwin isn't using his body fully while or completing action while bowling, it's the duty of Anil kumble to help him rectify the mistakes.

And as far as saying positve about coaches is concerned, when was the last time you heard any Indian player criticise support staff in the press? Doesn't matter how highly a coach is rated, it's the results which prove his worth.

Rahul is just trying to be what he isn't. Classical cricket shots (with the odd power shot) is good enough for ODIs, especially if you have someone like Kohli around. You have to try hard to suck out momentum from an innings!

So, should go back, think hard and come back and play sensibly. Him and Rohit are our best chance at the top in the short run.

If he opens with rohit then he cannot take his sweet time.Rohit is a very slow starter.We almost always waste power plays because of him.

Not sure Bangar is qualified to be the batting coach of an international team. Kohli went to Sachin not Bangar to sort his technique.

I agree that ultimate responsibility lies with the players but coach is there for a reason. If a player is making the same mistakes for the last two years you will question the coach.

If Ashwin isn't using his body fully while or completing action while bowling, it's the duty of Anil kumble to help him rectify the mistakes.

And as far as saying positve about coaches is concerned, when was the last time you heard any Indian player criticise support staff in the press? Doesn't matter how highly a coach is rated, it's the results which prove his worth.

Ashwin went to Bharat Arun to work on his bowling. His technical adjustments were made after understanding a lot of theory.

Kohli went to SRT but how can we be sure he didn't consult anyone else to get the technical details right? If I remember correctly, Kohli had an outrageous series in Aus (tests) and then scratched around in ODIs for a year before regaining form. Its too speculative to say who exactly helped Kohli make the changes.

Yes, I agree that coaches should identify and work on players but ultimate responsibility lies on players. Maybe the player is just unable to get it right. Maybe he is not trying hard enough. Maybe he is trying but its not working so he is resorting to some hacks.

A coach is rated by his inputs to players. Agreed we may not know who is good and who isn't but just cos someone doesn't have international experience doesn't make him a bad coach.

Sanjay Bangar was with Kings XI and got positive feedback all round. He was appointed for Indian team and got positive feedback. Ashwin credits him for turning around his batting in public when there was no need for him to do so.

So what's the more likely conclusion?

That was the regulation catch. Was it because it was kohli? Im sure that extra pressure for the fielder when they know how important the wicket is.

Plunket bowled well against Kohli.

Kohli needs to refocus now.

Virat being lucky today? Well the harder you work, the more you have of it. :misbah

The drop catch was luck, but he has played really well in tough conditions before that drop. Just getting a bit restless i think. Not rotating strike as comfortable as he normally does.

This match is so very reminiscent of t2014 final which India lost because of yuvraj. The lack of fluency distorted the rhythm of kohli too.

The drop catch was luck, but he has played really well in tough conditions before that drop. Just getting a bit restless i think. Not rotating strike as comfortable as he normally does.

Yup! Taking single is staple for traditional Kohli's inning. Yuvi is making him to take risk. :sanga

Last edited:
It's seaming around a lot! Think we brought our spinners on too early today. Also, played an extra spinner today for this pitch.

Ball moving around quite a lot. Brilliant bowling from England.

Back