England [400 & 248] beat South Africa [183 & 274] by 191 runs in the 4th Test, win series 3-1

rabada was not that brilliant against india at home 2 years ago to be frank.

eng's batting is not world class but just good enough to survive in difficult conditions. openers and middle order has shown immense potential, once foakes coming for jos butler(limited test batter), batting line up will be much better

if eng manage to win 2 tests in india this year, that would be remarkable

This side definitely looks like one that can challenge everyone in the future - unlike other teams they can't play the same set of players in both formats since conditions for ODIs and tests are poles apart in England. Skillset s required are vastly different unlike in Australia or India where the gap is not so big.

This a better test team and has a lot of potential for sure. I just don't think England can gauge how good they are by these performances against a very weak SA team. Nortje was playing his second series, philander was well past it and Rabada has not had the same pace and venom that he had before his stress fracture. Not to mention their batting which barely looks international standard these days. I think the tour of India will be this team's true litmus test . If England can hold their own over here , that would quite an achievement.

Yeah.... I would say our spinners will be hopeless there, but the Indians have pace bowlers now so the wickets may help Wood / Archer / Stokes too. Though the groundsmen may produce turners for Ashwin and Jadeja.

It will be a good test to see who can bat long. I would get Moeen back as he has two centuries there.

The Guardian is reporting that we are set to bring in Jonny Bowledstow and Foakesy for Old Joe and Buttlerfingers on the next tour.

Possible team for Sri Lanka:

Zak
Sibbers
Bowledstow
Young Joe*
The Great Stokes
Popey
Foakesy+
Dommy Bess
Jack “Specs” Leach
Woodsy or Jofra
Draco

Yeah.... I would say our spinners will be hopeless there, but the Indians have pace bowlers now so the wickets may help Wood / Archer / Stokes too. Though the groundsmen may produce turners for Ashwin and Jadeja.

It will be a good test to see who can bat long. I would get Moeen back as he has two centuries there.

I agree, the trio of woods archer stokes could rock india

Nice damning with faint praise there.

I expected england to win the series before it started. England won here on previous tour against a better SA side. England always have haf the bowling to expose SA feeble batting, pretty much any team who gets 250+ vs current SA team will get a lead in a match.

Apart from De kock no one really looked like being a threat to england. England bigger tests will be playing pakistan in the summer, india away and thr next ashes series.

The Guardian is reporting that we are set to bring in Jonny Bowledstow and Foakesy for Old Joe and Buttlerfingers on the next tour.

Zak
Sibbers
Bowledstow
Young Joe*
The Great Stokes
Popey
Foakesy+
Dommy Bess
Jack “Specs” Leach
Woodsy or Jofra
Draco

Strange to see denly ommited. I thought they would pick him for his legspin

He wasn't bad vs safrica. Absorbed pressure through playing many balls. Played short ballz really well. Just couldn't capitalize on his starts.

Much better than bairstow imo.

Have a feeling Matt Parkinson will debut in Sri Lanka, main seamers like broad and wood will be rested

wood and archer will struggle big time in india in my opinion. archer is similar to rabada. stokes has played a lot of t20 so he may have some idea about how to bowl on certain wickets. Will be interesting for sure.

I would really be surprised if England win 1 test match.

cause if anything kohli will surely treat the England series as a revenge series.

England have to win the toss at any cost to have a chance.

Zak
Sibbers
Bowledstow
Young Joe*
The Great Stokes
Popey
Foakesy+
Dommy Bess
Jack “Specs” Leach
Woodsy or Jofra
Draco

While Foakes will strengthen the side I can’t see Bowledstow succeeding in test at #3 on a permanent basis. Leave him for LO cricket, get Monty back to open, try Creepy at #3.

wood and archer will struggle big time in india in my opinion. archer is similar to rabada. stokes has played a lot of t20 so he may have some idea about how to bowl on certain wickets. Will be interesting for sure.

I would really be surprised if England win 1 test match.

cause if anything kohli will surely treat the England series as a revenge series.

England have to win the toss at any cost to have a chance.

They might sneak a dead rubber. 3-1 to the India.

Back