England (56/4) defeat West Indies (55) by 6 wickets in the ICC T20 World Cup

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
England begin their Men's T20 World Cup campaign against West Indies in Dubai on Saturday in a rematch of the 2016 final.

West Indies beat England in a last-over thriller five years ago, when Carlos Brathwaite hit Ben Stokes for four sixes in a row to seal victory.

England are now the top-ranked Twenty20 team and 50-over world champions.

==

Squads:

England Squad: Jason Roy, Jos Buttler(w), Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Eoin Morgan(c), Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Tymal Mills, David Willey, Dawid Malan, Sam Billings, Tom Curran

West Indies Squad: Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran(w), Kieron Pollard(c), Andre Russell, Dwayne Bravo, Hayden Walsh, Obed McCoy, Ravi Rampaul, Oshane Thomas, Akeal Hosein, Roston Chase, Andre Fletcher

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

In these conditions I won't be surprised if West Indies pull off a win.

I will be studying conditions carefully. How is pitch behaving, Dew in the night etc

Five years on from their epic clash at Eden Gardens, reigning champions West Indies and 2016 runners up England face again at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2016.

Much has been written of that famous final over in the 2016 decider and it has continued to dictate the narrative into Saturday night’s Super 12 match in Dubai.

While it would be foolish to suggest the West Indies’ incredible win in 2016 against England won’t register in the collective mind of each team, the ghosts of that epic will not determine what happens tonight.

Indeed, many of the central characters from that game will not feature in this match between the world No.1s and the world champions. Ben Stokes and Carlos Brathwaite sadly aren’t involved in this tournament, nor are either team’s top scorers on the night, nor is Daren Sammy.

Suffice to say, plenty of water has gone under the bridge since that night.

What hasn’t changed however is the explosive brand of cricket these two teams play. In Jason Roy and Jos Buttler, England have one of the most frighteningly aggressive opening pair’s T20I cricket has seen, and in Dawid Malan at first drop the No.1 men’s T20I batter in the world. Malan plays the lone anchor in a side that is either wise just rocket-fuelled propellers, with captain Eoin Morgan giving himself and the likes of Moeen Ali and Liam Livingstone the right to swing for the hills in a batting order without a tail. That's if Malan plays at all, with Jonny Bairstow looking a serious contender to bat at No.3.

On the other side of the ledger, the West Indies have the fastest man in the world to hit 100 T20I sixes in Evin Lewis, the first man to reach that mark in Chris Gayle and a handful of players within the XI all on course to join the club. In captain Kieron Pollard and all-rounder Andre Russell possibly the two cleanest strikers of a ball the format has seen and among its best ever finishers. They have a group that brings an unrivalled wealth of T20 experience to the table as well as an exciting crop of youngsters primed to pick up where the elder statesmen have left off.

In short, it’s a match you simply cannot miss.

Fixture details
Match: England v West Indies
Time: 18:00 local time on Saturday 23 October
Venue: Dubai International Stadium, Dubai

The Teams
England possible XI: Jason Roy, Jos Buttler, Jonny Bairstow/Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan (c), Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Tymal Mills

West Indies possible XI: Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Chris Gayle, Nicholas Pooran, Shimron Hetmyer, Kieron Pollard (c), Andre Russell, Dwayne Bravo, Hayden Walsh Jr, Obed McCoy, Ravi Rampaul

What they said

Eoin Morgan, England captain, dismisses the notion of scars from the 2016 T20 World Cup: "Some of the biggest disappointments in any career are more learnings than scars. I think if there were scars we would have lost a lot of players that wouldn't have progressed like they have done over the last four or five years throughout their careers... any time we've come up against a side that has beaten us in whatever fashion they have, we've always looked to learn and progress and become a better side."

Kieron Pollard, West Indies captain, on the impact of 2016: "What Carlos did in those four deliveries in that last over, it's unbelievable. It's something that as a team we actually saw last night, and it brought goosebumps back to us. For us to be in that situation and get over the line, it shows that sort of never-say-die attitude. We as a team, we look forward to trying to replicate winning the entire tournament, but those sort of moments sort of stick with us."

England have won the toss and have opted to field

West Indies (Playing XI): Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran(w), Kieron Pollard(c), Andre Russell, Dwayne Bravo, Akeal Hosein, Obed McCoy, Ravi Rampaul

England (Playing XI): Jos Buttler(w), Jason Roy, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan(c), Jonny Bairstow, Liam Livingstone, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Tymal Mills

Win the Toss, Win the match will be the trend in this tournament. I don't see many teams out batting their opponents.

Interesting to watch the comeback of Ravi Rampaul (who had semi-retired from Cricket).

Was excepting 6s rain but windies already lost both openers inside 3 overs..

In T20Is WI batters need superflat pitches and short boundaries to own the competition. Unlikely to enjoy these conditions, overrated this time. Their best venue will always be India.

On good batting wickets, Windies have massive firepowers- Gayle, Lewis, Pooran, Hetmyer, Pollard, Russell.

Windies don't seem to care about conditions.
Just trying to smack everything...

More I look at these teams and prevailing conditions, more I am convinced we are going to see 3 Asian sides in SF and an all-Asia final like 2007, 2009, 2014 editions.

Indo-Pak final is a strong possibility. Afghans and Lankans will be dark horses and Bangladeshis can cause some major upsets at least in their group.

Windies don't seem to care about conditions.
Just trying to smack everything...

Credit for Moeen Bhai's improvement in pressure situation goes to CSK, MS Dhoni and Fleming.

:inti

Previous 2 WC finals were contested by SENA countries: Aus, Eng and NZ(2x).

Previous WT20 final was Eng vs WI.

About time Asian bloc reasserts itself in WCs.

More I look at these teams and prevailing conditions, more I am convinced we are going to see 3 Asian sides in SF and an all-Asia final like 2007, 2009, 2014 editions.

Indo-Pak final is a strong possibility. Afghans and Lankans will be dark horses and Bangladeshis can cause some major upsets at least in their group.

That's what we thought in 2016 but the final was played between England and Windies

On these wickets, Windies need an anchor who can hold the inning. Maybe someone like Shai Hope but more aggressive than him. Shai Hope is too slow.

WI were careless against Pakistan and Afghanistan in the warm up. They looked like they did not even want to play.

You can't just turn on. I see WI only winning 2 games and going home early.

Is going to be hard for Windies to recreate their 2016 performance.

Power hitting is not the way to go in the UAE.

Windies continuing their horrendous batting from the warm-ups.

Great game for Moeen so far on the other hand, 2 wickets and a brilliant catch.

Windies continuing their horrendous batting from the warm-ups.

Great game for Moeen so far on the other hand, 2 wickets and a brilliant catch.

Yes and it's all down to the IPL, Dhoni and Fleming :)

Comical stuff

Showing no respect for the game whatsoever

This is where one has to admire the sensible start Babar and Rizwan give Pakistan. You cannot alway go all guns blazing even in Powerplay.

Very very pathetic game awareness shown so far in the tournament.

Teams need to realise that six hitting is far to difficult upfront in the UAE. Should look to take time upfront

Pollard has a better game awareness so I think Windies can still keep some hopes here.

There is nothing worst than watching cricket matches on UAE pitches. Hardly any boundaries, no assistance for fast bowlers, slow pitches where everybody mistimes & mediocre bowlers come alive.

It's a game of accumulation in UAE and waiting for really bad balls to be put away. Trying to play big shots is just going to play into the opposition's hand.

Pollard has a better game awareness so I think Windies can still keep some hopes here.

Might be a little too late!
Awareness was needed by the top 4...

As it is they may get to 100 or just above which isn't going to win them thus game unless something extraordinary happens when England are batting.

if only some of these West Indians played for CSK ��

Bravo plays for CSk and he has been an excellent T20 bowler for so many years now. His batting isn't used much by CSK and anyways he is a bowler who can smash a bit in final overs. So, can't blame him for today's batting.

In T20Is WI batters need superflat pitches and short boundaries to own the competition. Unlikely to enjoy these conditions, overrated this time. Their best venue will always be India.

Especially under lights in Indian stadiums when the dew makes it an absolute belter.

Bravo plays for CSk and he has been an excellent T20 bowler for so many years now. His batting isn't used much by CSK and anyways he is a bowler who can smash a bit in final overs. So, can't blame him for today's batting.

Mate I don't blame them or credit them for playing IPL or any league.

Windies are just imploding...
None of their batters have learnt from the dismissals...

Even Russel try's to launch his first ball.
This is just crazy cricket

There is nothing worst than watching cricket matches on UAE pitches. Hardly any boundaries, no assistance for fast bowlers, slow pitches where everybody mistimes & mediocre bowlers come alive.

It's a game of accumulation in UAE and waiting for really bad balls to be put away. Trying to play big shots is just going to play into the opposition's hand.

This pitch is good just really poor batting

England is having the perfect start to the tournament. They will get a nice momentum from this game.

Mate I don't blame them or credit them for playing IPL or any league.

Windies are just imploding...
None of their batters have learnt from the dismissals...

Even Russel try's to launch his first ball.
This is just crazy cricket

No doubt this has been awful batting stuff. They are probably lacking an anchor here.

However, the Moeen part is an honest assessment from my side. Somehow he has looked a far more impactful cricketer post his stint with Dhoni and CSk. It is not about the IPL part but I would say more to do while working with a captain like MSD. Moeen played in IPL before that also.

Shockingly poor from Windies. Will be lucky if they even score much more than 60.

Back