England v India | 1st Test | Nottingham | Aug 04-Aug 08, 2021 | Pre-match discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
England captain Joe Root admits the Test side is simply not the same without Ben Stokes but is more interested in his welfare as a friend rather than a matchwinner.

Stokes has taken an indefinite break from the game to prioritise his mental health and fully recover from a finger injury.

The absence of his star all-rounder and vice-captain severely weakens Root's hand as he looks to get things back on track following defeats in each of England's last two Test series. But for now, that is not the priority.

"From my point of view, I just want my friend to be OK," said Root.

"I had a conversation with Ben and that's when I found out. The call will stay between the two of us but for me it was hard to see a friend like that.

"Cricket has to be a secondary thought, a long way down the line and he should take as much time as he needs. He's got my full support on that, he's been assured he's got the full support of the ECB on that and, certainly, he's got the whole team's support.

"Anyone who knows Ben, he always puts other people in front of himself and now is an opportunity for him to put himself first, to take time to look after himself and get to a good place again. Hopefully that can be sooner rather than later."

In the short term, others will need to step into his shoes, first at Trent Bridge on Wednesday and then for the remainder of a five-match series against elite opponents.

"In my opinion, there's no one that compares to Ben Stokes in world cricket," conceded Root.

"Obviously for a long time now, he's been incredible, he's the heartbeat of this team. But that does present opportunities for others to step up to the plate and put in big performances. We have found ways to win without Ben there. This is another opportunity for us to try and do that."

Stokes' situation is one of several unexpected issues that will require sensitive management by ECB as the long shadow of coronavirus continues to cause other problems.

It is understood that September's planned white-ball tour of Bangladesh is now likely to be postponed, due in part to Covid-19's prevalence in that part of the world but also due to a clash with the rescheduled Indian Premier League.

Given the packed fixture list, the ECB would not see that as the worst outcome but this winter's Ashes tour is also causing consternation.

The possibility of players' families being shut out of Australia is a source of serious concern and a potential last straw for those who have laboured under a variety or restrictive bubbles and secured environments for the past 18 months.

Even Root, as skipper, accepted there was an element of uncertainty over the viability of the trip.

"From a players' point of view, and my point of view, until we know what the lay of the land is, until we know the scenario, it's very hard to make any sort of decision," he said. "Of course there are challenges, but everyone is desperate to be part of an Ashes series in Australia.

"It's just at what cost. Until we know what the lay of the land is it's very difficult to make any decision.

"We are still very passionate about Ashes cricket, we know our responsibilities as players, wanting to look after the integrity of Test cricket and the implications of this tour, so of course any decision that is made will not be made lightly."

With so many moving parts behind the scenes it is easy to overlook a couple of significant personal milestones Root could tick off in Nottingham.

He needs just 22 runs to overtake Sir Alastair Cook's career mark of 15,737 - the most international runs for England across formats - and is one more win away from eclipsing Michael Vaughan's record of 26 Test wins as captain.

Pushing aside the individual accolades, he said: "I'd be more excited with us winning: win the first Test, start well, try to win the series.

"I know if I score big runs it gives us the opportunity to win the game. That side will look after itself. But Test cricket is not about you, it's not about you as an individual, it's about winning for England and contributing towards that."

Agarwal out of first Test with suspected concussion

India batsman Mayank Agarwal has been ruled out of the first Test against England after a blow to the helmet in training left him with a suspected concussion.

A statement from the Board of Control for Cricket in India said the 30-year-old opener was in a stable condition after the incident in the nets on Monday but had "shown signs of concussion" and "will remain under close medical observation".

With Shubman Gill already out of the LV= Insurance Series and the recently called up Prithvi Shaw unavailable until his quarantine period has been served, India could opt to push KL Rahul up the order for the opening Test at Trent Bridge on Wednesday.

SKY

First look at the pitch

E7tLL8GWEAI-DeV

Don't think the pitch will look so green when the match starts. The grass will be cut off eventually before day 1.

Don't think the pitch will look so green when the match starts. The grass will be cut off eventually before day 1.

It's forecast to be a rain affected match with no more than 3.5 days of game time possible. So a green seamer wouldn't be a bad idea from a results perspective.

India’s lower order recognises the need to contribute with the bat in the five-Test series against England and is preparing for it earnestly in the nets, vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane said during a press conference ahead of the first Test in Nottingham.

India’s tail, and especially its fast-bowling unit, isn’t known to provide resistance with the bat, and in close, see-saw contests like the ones in the U.K. during India’s 2018 tour, decisive contributions with the bat from the lower order can make a difference. The likes of Chris Woakes and Sam Curran batted well in 2018, for example, handing England a decisive edge in the closely fought series which the home team eventually pocketed 4-1.

India’s tail had capitulated quickly, comparatively, three years ago but it may not be the same story this time, felt Rahane.

“[All the fast bowlers are] putting their effort in the nets; they all want to contribute 20-30 runs in the end which matter a lot. It is a very good sign; they all are going into the nets and wanting to bat,” Rahane said.

“Result comes later; what is important is following your process, keep working hard, what you want to contribute as a member of the team. The fast bowlers are doing it really well for us. We all are confident about them. If they get to bat, I’m sure they will contribute. We have faith in all of them,” he said.

Rahane said the consideration of batting depth wouldn’t bother the team management unduly when team combinations have to be decided for the Tests ahead. “Out of India, when we want to win the series, for a particular Test match, we have to play a certain combination. We are not too concerned about playing five bowlers or four bowlers. We have to assess the wicket tomorrow, and then see what combination we can go with,” he said.

One game at a time

India hasn’t defeated England in a Test series in the U.K. since 2007, and Rahane acknowledged the difficulty of facing one of the best Test teams in the world in its own den. He felt the team would need to focus on one game at a time rather than look at the task from the point of view of the entire series, and that getting used to the conditions quickly would be key to success.

“When you play away from home, there’s always a challenge. England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa…wherever…it’s all about putting our best foot forward and getting used to the conditions very quickly. I thought in 2018, we played very good cricket but the result didn’t go our way. We played some good cricket,” he said.

‘Challenging conditions’

Underlining the importance of excelling with the bat in seaming conditions, he said, “In England, these are challenging conditions for batsmen. Everyone has their different plans in their batting, and we back each and every individual to bat in their own method, rather than focusing too much about technique or about anything else.”

“It’s all about playing as a group; communication will be the key as a batting unit. But individually, everyone should back their own methods in England because the conditions change quickly. When the sun is out, in 15-20 minutes, it is overcast. So it is all about getting used to the conditions quickly, handling those conditions well, and backing your own methods. As a batting unit, we’re ready to do it,” he said.

Rahane said he is fully fit for the Tests ahead. Commenting on his own preparations, he said, “Preparations have been really good so far for me. Even when I was not playing the three-day game (in Durham), I was practising on the side and we had a couple of good practice sessions. I’m completely ready to play.”

‘Bio-bubbles challenging’

The five-Test series has required the team to be part of yet another bio-bubble to avoid getting infected with COVID-19. And more are to follow soon for many players, as the second leg of IPL 2021 beckons, before the T20 World Cup in October. Rahane admitted these were challenging times for players, and he said his team respected Ben Stokes’ decision to pull out of the Test series to protect his mental health.

“Bubbles are really challenging from a players’ point of view,” Rahane said.

“What Ben Stokes said, it was his call. You got to understand the players’ mindset as well; it is all about how he is feeling, because when you play at the highest level, you want to give your best, more than 100 percent, and your mental health matters a lot. We respect that, we respect his decision. I’m sure his England team-mates also respect his decision. You have to understand what a player is going through in that difficult moment. Yes, it is tough, it is challenging as a player, as a team, to be in the bubble continuously and to give your best all the time takes a lot.”

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...rder-batting-cricket-news/article35684686.ece

India captain Virat Kohli on Monday said it takes "relentless madness" and single-minded pursuit of excellence to win a Test series in England. Led by Kohli, India will take on Joe Root's England in a gruelling five-match Test series, beginning from Wednesday. "I will answer your second question first, it takes relentless madness and pursuit of excellence every day over a five-Test series, to tell yourself I want to do the hard work and I want to get into situations which are tough in every Test match on every day. And you are going to be ready for that kind of workload, and that kind of mental load," Kohli told 'Sky Sports' when asked by former India wicket-keeper Dinesh Karthik on what it takes to win a Test series in England.

For Kohli personally, winning in England is nothing more than winning anywhere else and it is all about the team culture of going for a win.

"To answer your first question, for me personally, it means nothing more than winning a Test match or a Test series anywhere else in the world.

"As I said, for me, these things are not anecdotes in my career or milestones in my career.

"We step on the field and we compete and we are looking to win every Test match, that is what matters more to me, because again that is a culture, these are results," added Kohli, one of the finest batsmen of the modern era.

"For Indian cricket it will be a huge thing and we have done it before and we can do it again, but this culture is what is more dear to me and I will do everything in my ability, even if you lose a Test match.

"I want us to go for the win and not surrender and try to save a test match on day three or day four, that for me is just not acceptable."

"So, for me as I said, milestones don't matter at all. If I had played for milestones in my career, I probably would not have half of what I have right now. My mindset is pretty clear and for us it is just pursuit of excellence," he signed off.

https://sports.ndtv.com/england-vs-...st-series-in-england-says-virat-kohli-2500953

This is gonna be fun :)))

Injured Indian batsman are lucky that they have got injured before the start of this series. :))

Looking forward to an exciting series. A five match test is series is so old school and so mouth watering for those who really love the game. England might hold slight edge but India has a very good attack its the batting which hold few concerns.

It never does but due to the weather & being Trent Bridge, you will see a lot of swing. If Jimmy is on form, it will be tough for India batting first.

Stokes is a very big miss.

And with ENG missing the likes of Woakes and Archer too.

it's best chance for India to win in Eng

One thing pretty consistent with India is they always do well when they are least expected to or are not the favourites.
Case in exception in recent times perhaps are the 2011 WC or 2018 Aus series in OZ.
Hoping that trend continues on this tour as well :)
realistically, our guys are duds against quality swing, Che Pu , Jinks, Hitman better put in a monster shift else i guess they're playing for their places....
on the bowling front Ishant, jazz boom need to deliver big time
Washi sundar's departure was a big loss, i thought he could have filled any role in the top order...
On eng's side i guess the same fight for the places argument could be applied to jim grump, broad pratt but i do expect them to go big at some stage and should be around come the ashes.
Dont think bairstow will get too many chances, the top order of Sibley, lawrence, crawley, malan will be tested
all in all a good series
GO INDIAAAAAA!

The India vs England Test series is set to begin on Wednesday but there are a few selection issues that the team management has to sort out. Mayank Agarwal's injury is likely to see KL Rahul being drafted as an opener. While the middle-order is unlikely to witness a change from the World Test Championship final, the bowling unit is where most alterations are likely to be made.

India skipper Virat Kohli had hinted at putting the players with the right mentality into the team. Even vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane hinted at some new combinations being used in the press conference ahead of the series opener.

“Pujara has done really well at No. 3 and will continue to do so. The team management is looking into different combinations and you will know it very soon,” Rahane had said after a net session on Monday.

As per a report in the Times of India, Mohammed Siraj is likely to be drafted into the team. Ishant Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Shami were used in the Test Championship final against New Zealand. Siraj could be used in the team either as a replacement for one of these players or as a fourth seamer in place of one of the spinners.

As per the TOI report, Shardul Thakur could also be drafted into the team as a pace-bowling all-rounder since Hardik Pandya isn't in the scheme of things at present. If Shardul is included, Ravindra Jadeja is likely to be dropped to the bench, with R Ashwin being the sole spinner.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...n-ravindra-jadeja-to-be-benched-report/794020

It's sensible move by Kohli & Shastri to keep Pujara at 3, you don't mess about with one of your best players by asking him to open the batting against the dukes ball in England. It would have had a knock-on effect on the whole batting order as well given that there's no one else qualified to bat at number 3.

Or competitive teams produce competitive cricket? Who knows?

Sadly India have rarely been competitive in England.

However, this is the best chance we have of picking up a series win. Stokes is gone, England may employ their rotation policy yet again, and India have their best available players (if the ydecide to be smart and not play Jadeja again).

I'm feeling confident this time around.

However, this is the best chance we have of picking up a series win. Stokes is gone, England may employ their rotation policy yet again, and India have their best available players (if the ydecide to be smart and not play Jadeja again).

India will win one. 1 draw.
Without quality swing bowler , you can't expect much.

The weather forecast is terrible and overcast conditions for the next few days in Nottingham. :facepalm:

It is very likely that it would rain, showers on all five days of the match. The days that would be most affected would be days 2, 3, and 4.
The average temperature should be around 20 degrees celsius over five days.

Last edited:

More competitive than England have been in India since I started to watch at the start of 1990s. Besides India have been far more successful as a test team, been number 1 for longer...etc etc.

I'll gladly take it.

Doesn't matter what players ENG are missing just the way it didn't matter who India missed in AUS last series and who AUS missed in 2018 against India. A win away in a colossal achievement with no ifs and buts needed.

Wow, The Cricket, that too between two top sides, that too in England, mouth watering

Both teams missing key players, india have had plenty of time over here already to get use to english conditions. if this Indian team as great as some chest thumping indian fans make the team out to be then they should beat england in this series. should be excuses like ones the continually use when they get hammered in english, kiwi or South African conditions.

Both teams missing key players, india have had plenty of time over here already to get use to english conditions. if this Indian team as great as some chest thumping indian fans make the team out to be then they should beat england in this series. should be excuses like ones the continually use when they get hammered in english, kiwi or South African conditions.

Don't think India are missing anyone apart from Gill who was struggling anyway.

Ind start as favs against this Eng team

Which key player India is missing? :inti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back