England v West Indies | 2nd ODI | The Oval | Jun 19 2012

Shayan

ODI Debutant
Runs
Gayle is back and has hit 3 consecutive fours off Finn.

20/0

Finn to Gayle, FOUR, 138.6 kph, more punishment for Finn, picking up a straight, length ball and belabouring it back down the ground for a boundary at long-on

Finn to Gayle, FOUR, 141.1 kph, four more! Though this wasn't an authentic stroke, the ball slicing high off the toe of the bat and over third slip as the ball left Gayle off a good length

Finn to Gayle, FOUR, 142.2 kph, slides on to the pads and this time Gayle connects, showing his power with a chunky glance in front of square leg

That should never have been given, what happened to benefit of doubt goes to batsman.

That review system is a farce, w tha F do u have a review system if its no better than a human umpire?!! Useless

I'm only reading on cricinfo, but wasn't the DRS used correctly there? There was no conclusive evidence to overturn the umpire's decision?

Given out by the onfield umpire. No conclusive evidence to say not out on tge replay, therefore out. I don't see how this suggests DRS is a failure.

I'm only reading on cricinfo, but wasn't the DRS used correctly there? There was no conclusive evidence to overturn the umpire's decision?

There was every evidence the ball hit his bat, every replay and technology they used showed the same.
I cannot understand how that could be given out. The players would have seen the same on the large screen. Descision review sucks!!

There was every evidence the ball hit his bat, every replay and technology they used showed the same.
I cannot understand how that could be given out. The players would have seen the same on the large screen. Descision review sucks!!

From cricinfo:

There's definitely bat involved but was it pad first? There's no doubt the ball was going on to hit. It's practically impossible to tell if the ball squeezed on to the pad via the bat or the other way around.

Hotspot showed thick inside edge and commentators were convinced it was an inside edge but still he was given out.

Yes there is lot of evidence that it hit his bat, there is no conclusive evidence however that it hit his bat before the ball hit the pad. Therefore it stays with the onfield decision.

From cricinfo:

There's definitely bat involved but was it pad first? There's no doubt the ball was going on to hit. It's practically impossible to tell if the ball squeezed on to the pad via the bat or the other way around.

Exactly so benefit should have gone to batsman, it seems like in this case umpires decision gets the benefit of the doubt as it was originally given out so they stuck with that. Either that or Dharmasena trying for some brownie points.

From cricinfo:

I understand its impossible to say, in that case should'nt the batsman get the benefit of the doubt?!

On the other hand if the priority is to uphold the umpire's descision and make him look good then why have this system in the first place?! Let the umpire have his way rather than all this drama. All it does is delay play and frustrate the fans!!

Dont want to take focus away from the game, Gayle wont come back to the crease.

This is the stupid thing with DRS Laws and needs to be amended. sadly thats to much hard work for ICC.

In the DRS the benefit of the doubt goes to the Umpire not the batsman.

There is to my knowledge nothing on the laws of the game that state the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman.

Whilst a contentious decision it was certainly not a huge umpiring mistake. Easy to make a case for our or not out.

If the batsman had been Simmonds, bopara, smith or trott than I'm sure this wicket would have passed largely unnoticed.

What happened to the Simmons who was smashing our bowlers around with ease at a 100+ SR last year?

In the DRS the benefit of the doubt goes to the Umpire not the batsman.

There is to my knowledge nothing on the laws of the game that state the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman.

Whilst a contentious decision it was certainly not a huge umpiring mistake. Easy to make a case for our or not out.

If the batsman had been Simmonds, bopara, smith or trott than I'm sure this wicket would have passed largely unnoticed

This is the key point.

What a waste of time, just get on with the game!!

Limited over cricket should not have this review nonsense!!

There was a game today? Did not know that. Oh well, JAMODI.

Easy win that has put paid to the ridiculous overhyping of West Indies ahead of this series.

England are turning into a good ODI side.

I'm thinking of heading to the Old Trafford match for England vs. Australia on the 10th. I'd prefer to hit up the SA Oval match on the 21st or the 22nd, which I might still do... But since I'll be in Aigburth, OT would be the much easier one to go to, even though its only an ODI. Think it'll be worth it James?

We've had a couple of weeks of rain in the North, and are now set for a couple of sun and cloud - so it will probably be back to rain by the 10th.

Yeah, was worried about something like that. Also it's a Tuesday, and day-nighter as it may be, weekdays are busy. I'll have to play it by ear then.

Oh the pros and cons of making a trip to the Oval for day 3 or day 4 of the first test. Would make for excellent viewing (and it's a weekend) no doubt, but too much of an effort and cost?

Easy win that has put paid to the ridiculous overhyping of West Indies ahead of this series.

England are turning into a good ODI side.

I thought u didnt care about JAMODIs

Back