England vs Sri Lanka | 3rd Test | Rose Bowl | 16-20 June 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoiled

Local Club Regular
Runs
First ever test match at the venue

Rose bowl all set to become the tenth test ground

England look most likely to win the series but as Strauss said "Sri Lankans are no push overs"

Lots of rain about in the South East. Big thunderstorm on the way.

Raining hard in Hampshire. No chance of play starting on time, or so I'm told.

Looks like the rain is setting in for the day over the SE.

from cricinfo:

Wow, just caught a glimpse of the pitch, it's bright green. Sadly it won't stay that way because it hasn't been mowed yet.

if there is even a tinge of green, lankan batsmen will be in trouble.

Good to see the Rose Bowl getting a Test.

I wouldn't count a Lankan comeback out, they have a tendency to hit back hard when under the cosh, but England should be favourites definitely.

Have we won the toss? Great news. my connection is playing up atm, sky player lagging badly!

lankan team changes:
some dude named thirimanne to debut.
perera in for anti-sobers.

england team changes:
anderson in for finn (broad still there :facepalm:)

rain halts play.....looking forward to a cracker of a game....i love that sangakara is captaining the sri-lankan side and i hope they kick england's ***

This is a big match for Broad. If he doesn't perform in this game then he shouldn't be picked for the India tests.

I hope Graeme Onions gets recalled, he's looked quality for Durham this year.

Aleem DAR IS A GENIUS!!!

Everyone at home, and in stadium thought it was out.

LEGEND

sjamesjourno Steve James
Aleem Dar is brilliant, quite brilliant...
1 minute ago
»

miller_cricket Andrew Miller
No, it didn't. Cracking decision from Aleem Dar #engvsl
1 minute ago

Pitch is flat & Broad continues his rubbish bowling . a draw in all probability . 14/0

Sinicko says there was a nick.

How stupid is this! Why on earth is the Snicko not a part of the UDRS? BCCI's stand does make a little sense now, this thing is really not perfect. Here is an example of a batsman who should have been given out but UDRS couldn't help the umpires to arrive at the correct decision.

Last edited:
A test which was likely to be curtailed due to rain, dont you think eng should have thought of broad as 5th bowler ? they were never gonna lose to this team even with prior at 6 .

good 1st over barring last ball & its a shame broad got new ball ahead of him .

This is a big match for Broad. If he doesn't perform in this game then he shouldn't be picked for the India tests.

Aye, can't keep picking him on the offchance that he might score 169.

its gr8 when you pick your bowlers for their batting :)
23/1 & what else : R A I N

In which match a wicket will fall next?

Current Scores

ENGvSL 28/2

WIvIND21/2

:O SL making a mess of their innings!

maybe a little early to predict but Innings defeat on cards here

Ashok isn't happy with what he's seen from the Big Two: "Sanga and Jayawardene would have done well to have packed the IPL and come to England 2/3 weeks earlier...esp given their 'junior' Dilshan had sacrificed it. They got their priorities awfully wrong, the results are there for everyone to see and sadly it's been a poor veteran show on what is mostly the duo's last tour of England." Fair gripes Ashok, though it does seem like there are all kinds of off-field pressures going on behind the scenes.

Cricinfo

Good question, what did Sanga do in England before the the rest of the team came? wasn't he suppose to get acquainted with the conditions?

Sanga played IPL buddy.

And yeah pun500, was hoping he would prove any doubters wrong by scoring big runs here.

Britain has no climate only weather

egypt has no weather only climate

Sanga played IPL buddy.

And yeah pun500, was hoping he would prove any doubters wrong by scoring big runs here.
me too Poison but his record in england is really poor. It seems he doesnt handle the moving ball very well. He seems to be more at ease with the bounce in Aus where he has scored well

Sanga has been a big disappointment for Sri Lanka on this tour

Sri Lanka... sigh...

But England seems like a dominant force at home. India vs England should be interesting.

As at Cardiff and Lord's, could be too much rain and bad light to win. I think we've done pretty well to get 1-0 up and have a decent first day here. Might be able to win here if we play really well.

Controversial match, reluctant captain and veteran recalled.

England are looking good though.

England's day, SL batting needs to grind it out tomorrow for as long as possible.

The return of Jimmy Anderson is big boost, by far Englands best bowler in home conditions. If he gets injured and misses out on the India series it will destroy Englands chances of winning imo.

I thought England bowled quite badly again - they should have had SL seven down in those conditions. Jimmy didn't get it in the right place often enough and Draco has no rhythm and should be dropped. Tremlett is a monster though.

Won't get away with that dross against India.

English bowling continues to be very impressive especially Tremlett. What a find for England. He would be the biggest threat for us later in the summer.

Sanga has been so disappointing on the tour. Mahela one can understand given his consistent failures away from the sub continent, but Sanga's struggles have been surprising. After his 100 in the tour match, should have batted better, not to be.

If we have like even 280 overs of play in remaining 4 days then SL would lose .

Bresie in for Broad pleeeease. I love the Broadster but he's scarily out of form. He can always come back next year.

Sangakkara will still get to an average of 60 after the series with Australia at home :D

Sangakkara will still get to an average of 60 after the series with Australia at home :D
There is now a 15-run difference between his home (63) and away (48) averages which too is boosted mostly due to his average in Pak.

Expect this gap to get wider when Aussies travel SL.

^ If you dig deep you will see he makes it count on flat decks only. In challenging conditions Sangakkara rarely delivers. That 190 run knock in Australia is an exception

WORST test series ever :facepalm:

England always provide good series, but Sri Lanka, as much as i respect the players, are soooo boring

^ If you dig deep you will see he makes it count on flat decks only. In challenging conditions Sangakkara rarely delivers. That 190 run knock in Australia is an exception

Yeah but mahila is an absolute farce too . It should be intersting to have list of peeps with more than 5k test runs, overall average not less than 50 & abroad not less than 45 . Can you dig that & make a thread ,should be a good one :)

:facepalm:

Sri Lanka have Thisara Perera and Herath coming in at #7 and #8.

This is probably the worst Sri Lankan test side that i've seen since the early 90's :facepalm:

I thought that there bowling was weak, but there batting is worse.

Jaywardene looks like a dead duck everytime he is facing tremlett . I think even if weather permits 225 overs from here on,sl is gone .

looks a different surface, batters & game when stu is bowling . 105/6

:out

Herath top edge to deep fine, 5fer for Tremmo.

:out

Herath top edge to deep fine, 5fer for Tremmo.

ok i had started the test thread on 14th & i just noticed the op aint mine . how come ?

& i was faster than you on 7th wicket :))

Last edited:
:)))

Herath batted with the sighrscreen still not showing all white.

looks like these guys aint getting past 150, that could mean even 200 overs of play in next 11 sessions can give a result . [ presumption being sl cant last for more than 75 overs batting next ]

England will be soon invincible at home. Next series will be a true test of two giants.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back