Fasting and Playing Sports...

shaykh1985

First Class Captain
Runs
With the Olympics coming up during Ramadan there has been a lot of talk about how Muslims athletes will handle the issue...Muslims comprise 27% of athletes competing at the Games...

Some it seems have decided to fast regardless...
Some believe they should fast but have chosen not to because they would prefer to perform in their chosen sport...
And the third one is the more interesting one which is some who believe performing a sport allows for some sort of exemption in fasting...

The views among scholars are very divided and some sound somewhat pragmatic...

For instance the 'extreme difficulties' comment is just nonsense...your performance may suffer but playing sport whilst fasting does not present extreme difficulties...

The no fasting thing while travelling seems to be manipulated quite easily...quite laughable one is that its travelling providing you dont remain in one place for 4 days...so encouragement to manipulate the system...

And the LSE guy states how one can find an opinion...and essentially thats how it appears...find an opinion that suits them...

The penultimate sentence of the article is revealing in that it states most of the Muslim athletes would not be performing their fasts because they wanted to ensure they got a breakthrough performance...

I atleast respect the Qatari girl who says she will prioritise making a record over fasting...its a lot more honest than the sportsmen who seem to apply some kind of Islamic legitimacy to avoiding their fast...

Everyone has stressful jobs...and everyone is any line of work finds that their performances are effected during this month...what makes sportsmen so special that their CHOSEN profession provides them exemptions...

Be like the Qatari girl if your not gonna fast...finding manufactured scholastic opinions just seems a bit silly...

DOHA, Qatar (AP) — When the Qatari sprinter Noor al-Malki makes her debut at the London Olympics, she will not be among those contending for a medal. Breaking her own national record in the 100 meters will be enough of a prize.

But even this modest goal presents a challenge.

Al-Malki, 17, whose oil-and-gas rich country is sending women to the Olympics for the first time, knows she will need all her energy and strength to run a fast race. To do that, however, might require her to break the fast during Ramadan.

Muslims are required to abstain from food and drink from dawn to dusk during the 30-day holy month, which begins on July 20 and overlaps with the Olympics. But al-Malki and the 3,500 other Muslim athletes expected to compete in London may look to ancient Islamic tenets that allow exemptions — for travelers, the sick and others — out of concern that not eating or drinking, even water, throughout the day could put them at a competitive disadvantage.

“It will be difficult, but it is Ramadan,” al-Malki said. “You have to respect Ramadan. But I want to make a new national record. If there is a problem with that, I will not make Ramadan.”

While the issue is receiving greater attention this Olympic year, balancing faith and sports is not new for athletes. Orthodox Jews observe the Sabbath from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday, and some will not compete during those hours, and some Christians will not compete on a Sunday.

The British triple jumper Jonathan Edwards long refused to compete on a Sunday and missed the 1991 world championships because of it. Two years later, he relaxed his rule and won the bronze medal. The Scotsman Eric Liddell, whose story is depicted in the Academy Award-winning film “Chariots of Fire,” famously pulled out of the 100 heat at the 1924 Olympics because it took place on a Sunday.

Ramadan fell during last year’s track and field world championships in South Korea, as well as during the 2010 Youth Olympics in Singapore.

With no central authority in Islam, Muslim athletes are very likely to turn to Islamic scholars in their respective countries for guidance on fast breaking or wait for a fatwa, or religious edict, to be issued. One interpretation of the Koran allows Muslims to break the fast if they are traveling, which athletes are if they are attending the Olympics.

“Athletes will find Islamic preachers and scholars who will provide them with legitimate ways and means to participate in the Olympics and make up for breaking the fast by doing charity work, such as feeding poor families, or fasting later,” said Fawaz A. Gerges, the director of the Middle East Centre at the London School of Economics.

“On balance, Islamic scholars are flexible and dynamic when it comes to questions of sports and work, and Islam is not set in stone,” he said. “My instinct tells me that Islamic scholars will err on the side of flexibility and sanctioning participation in the Olympics.”

But the issue remains open for debate, especially in places like Egypt and conservative Gulf nations like the United Arab Emirates. Sheik Fawzi Zefzaf, a scholar at Egypt’s Al-Azhar, the premier religious institution for Sunni Muslims, said Muslim athletes were obliged to fast.

“The words in Islam are clear. The Olympics are not a necessary reason to break one’s fast,” Zefzaf said, adding that athletes would not be considered traveling once they reach London for the Olympics.

Another Al-Azhar scholar, Abdel-Moeti Bayoumi, said Muslim athletes should fast, but they could opt out if fasting imposes “extreme difficulties” when they compete.

“The days that require strenuous physical activity, the athlete should fast if possible,” Bayoumi said. “But if fasting causes extreme exhaustion or weakness, then they can opt not to fast. The decision is between the athlete and God in the end.”

U.A.E.’s soccer team has been given approval to break its fast by the country’s Department of Islamic Affairs. Although competing is not an excuse for breaking the fast, the department said, traveling was as long as the athletes do not remain in one place for longer than four days.

The science of fasting and athletic performance is also open to debate. Going without food and water would seem to be detrimental to athletes. But several studies comparing fasting athletes with nonfasting athletes have so far produced conflicting results, with some finding clear evidence that fasting left athletes more tired and had an adverse effect on their results while others found a modest effect at worst.

Ron Maughan, a Loughborough University professor who has done several of the studies and is the chairman of the International Olympic Committee nutrition working group, said the effect depended on the event and when the competition was, as well as the weather conditions. Athletes affected most are those in endurance events, like the marathon or soccer, and those who compete late in the day or over several days.

“Let’s imagine the first round of 100 meters and imagine you are running 100 meters at 10 in the morning. You haven’t eaten since half past six,” Maughan said. “Is your performance going to affected? Probably not.”

London organizers cannot say how many athletes will be fasting partly because they have yet to hear from any Muslim countries on the issue. But they are prepared nonetheless, with more than 150 Muslim clerics on hand to assist athletes, as well as fast-breaking packs including dates and other traditional foods. Halal meals will be available, and the multifaith Centre in the Olympic Athletes village in Stratford will include special prayer facilities.

Of the dozen Muslim athletes interviewed for this article, none said they would be fasting the entire time. Most either said they were still deciding or would postpone it because of their desire for a breakout performance.

“How do you want a machine to work without a fuel?” the Iraqi javelin thrower Ammar Mekki said

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/s...l-create-conflicts.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

Last edited:
It really is a tough one.

A lot of our cricketers don't fast when they are playing either. I guess legitimate opinions are out there and you are free to pick from those opinions that say its ok not to fast when playing competitive sports.

If you past and play sport you are risking your health so maybe its okay not to fast? Then again maybe you shouldn't be playing the sport during Ramadan?

As I said its a tough one, if an individual athlete is satisfied with the opinions that state it is ok not to fast then I cant see a problem with it.

It really is a tough one.

A lot of our cricketers don't fast when they are playing either. I guess legitimate opinions are out there and you are free to pick from those opinions that say its ok not to fast when playing competitive sports.

If you past and play sport you are risking your health so maybe its okay not to fast? Then again maybe you shouldn't be playing the sport during Ramadan?

As I said its a tough one, if an individual athlete is satisfied with the opinions that state it is ok not to fast then I cant see a problem with it.

Here is the thing...one gets the impression that these opinions are chosen because they suit the situation...look at some of those explanations given...they look ridiculous...just contrived and manufactured...you can find an Islamic opinion to suit anything you want to do...that doesn't make your reason for choosing it correct...

And on the topic of risking health...your performance can suffer but your not risking your health directly...for a combat sport you may be risking your health by performing less well and thus leaving yourself in danger but fasting in itself won't risk your health...the cricketers are in no danger...neither are sprinters...the danger is to their performance not to their health...shouldn't doctors be exempt from fasting, policemen, firemen etc from this perspective...their performances suffer under Ramadan and their roles are somewhat more important than a sportsmans...an underperforming doctor is a lot more dangerous than an underperforming sportsman...you could apply this principle to a wide range of jobs...there is nothing remotely special about being a sportsman...

The sportsman who don't fast are copping out imo...don't fast if you don't want to...but to somehow apply some kind of Islamic legitimacy to it is insulting people's intelligence...

Like I said I respect the Qatari girl who was straight up...she said her performance was her priority...so she won't be fasting...no attempts at any sugarcoating...

It is their Job. They can't risk their job..

It's okay if they don't fast.

It is their Job. They can't risk their job..

It's okay if they don't fast.

So by that I presume your implying that anyone who is actually employed in a profession at the moment is not required to fast...

Fasting is only for those who can't find a job lol...

Salam brothers. That Day, none will punish as Allah will punish (sura al-fajr). If my memory good there is a ayah in Chapter at-Ra'd 13th chapter which says this life is a fun and useless.

They sell good thing(Ramadan) and buy bad(world fun).

Be ready to answer Almighty who is a so hard punisher. He says in Quran no body will tie like him. When he show the Fire can above pp ers answer the same nifaq answer. No scholars who support this will save u. They will lead the people of hell.

Here is the thing...one gets the impression that these opinions are chosen because they suit the situation...look at some of those explanations given...they look ridiculous...just contrived and manufactured...you can find an Islamic opinion to suit anything you want to do...that doesn't make your reason for choosing it correct...

And on the topic of risking health...your performance can suffer but your not risking your health directly...for a combat sport you may be risking your health by performing less well and thus leaving yourself in danger but fasting in itself won't risk your health...the cricketers are in no danger...neither are sprinters...the danger is to their performance not to their health...shouldn't doctors be exempt from fasting, policemen, firemen etc from this perspective...their performances suffer under Ramadan and their roles are somewhat more important than a sportsmans...an underperforming doctor is a lot more dangerous than an underperforming sportsman...you could apply this principle to a wide range of jobs...there is nothing remotely special about being a sportsman...

The sportsman who don't fast are copping out imo...don't fast if you don't want to...but to somehow apply some kind of Islamic legitimacy to it is insulting people's intelligence...

Like I said I respect the Qatari girl who was straight up...she said her performance was her priority...so she won't be fasting...no attempts at any sugarcoating...

See that is our opinions on the matter. It does seem like a cop out to me too but at the end of the day if 'legitimate' opinions exist and the athletes are satisfied with their intentions in their own hearts, thats all there is to it.

Those opinions should be debunked before we comment on the athletes.

So by that I presume your implying that anyone who is actually employed in a profession at the moment is not required to fast...

Fasting is only for those who can't find a job lol...

Many Scholars have said those whose livelihood could be affected by fasting can abstain and instead give alms to the poor. Fasting isn't supposed to be a punishment on the human being, that's why sick, pregnant people etc are allowed not to fast. They can always make up their fasts at a later time.

Why does OP care if someone fasts or not? I didn't know OP was God because I always thought individuals would answer to God.

Many Scholars have said those whose livelihood could be affected by fasting can abstain and instead give alms to the poor. Fasting isn't supposed to be a punishment on the human being, that's why sick, pregnant people etc are allowed not to fast. They can always make up their fasts at a later time.

Lets look at the etc part...

Those who are exempt from fasting are:

Sick people, pregnant women, mentally challenged people, children, menstruating women, breastfeeding women, travellers...

There are no exemptions for sportsmen...thats dealing with your second sentence...

As for your first sentence ANYONE can use it as an excuse not to fast...everyones livelihood and productivity is effected during Ramadan...thus according to your explanation anyone employed can just give alms to the poor instead lol...

See that is our opinions on the matter. It does seem like a cop out to me too but at the end of the day if 'legitimate' opinions exist and the athletes are satisfied with their intentions in their own hearts, thats all there is to it.

Those opinions should be debunked before we comment on the athletes.

Thats fair...my issue is less with the fact that people take such opinions but more so with the fact that such contrived and manufactured opinions exist...those opinions are what should be debunked...

There are no exemptions for sportsmen...thats dealing with your second sentence..

As for your first sentence ANYONE can use it as an excuse not to fast...everyones livelihood and productivity is effected during Ramadan...thus according to your explanation anyone employed can just give alms to the poor instead lol...

My livelihood doesn't get affected by me fasting. Please go ahead and tell me how you would not be able to children because of hunger and thirst? :yk

Surely you can understand the difference between a professional sportsman and someone working in an office?

Why does OP care if someone fasts or not? I didn't know OP was God because I always thought individuals would answer to God.

The main part of the post was addressing the fact that such ridiculous opinions exist in the first place...I am addressing the scholastic opinions in the article...thats the primary focus of my original and subsequent posts...

The secondary focus is people who can find an opinion to suit whatever situation they like...I haven't mentioned names because its not my position...

My main issue is with such ludicrous scholarship existing in the first place...

The reason fasting is considered such a great act of worship is because it's an act of worship solely between you and God, noone else knows whether you have kept the fast or not

You have to respect Ramadan. But I want to make a new national record. If there is a problem with that, I will not make Ramadan.”

She has phrased this really badly

My livelihood doesn't get affected by me fasting. Please go ahead and tell me how you would not be able to children because of hunger and thirst? :yk

Surely you can understand the difference between a professional sportsman and someone working in an office?

No please do tell me...If I am a ski-instructor...am I required to fast?...
If I do telesales for a living...am I required to fast?...
If I am a doctor...am I required to fast?...
If I am a teacher (which I am)...am I required to fast?...
If I am a personal trainer...am I required to fast?...
If I am a policeman...am I required to fast?...

All jobs that would be negatively effected by fasting...I have worked in telesales before and I have seen the types of low scores people get during Ramadan...and performance related jobs like these you don't last too long in...somehow I think losing your job might effect your ability to feed your children...

I am not suggesting none of these people should fast but its ridiculous to suggest that only sportsmen suffer a dip in performance during Ramadan...

What damage is there to a cricketer or footballers livelihood if they fast?...footballers and cricketers HAVE played and fasted before...but I can see how according to you making a few bad scores effects the livelihood of someone a lot more than in any other job...there is just nothing special about being a sportsman that should make you exempt from anything...

And if you can't fast because your playing sport then maybe you shouldn't play during that month...instead of coming up with bs arguments that only sportsmen have a job that exempts them from fasting...

The reason fasting is considered such a great act of worship is because it's an act of worship solely between you and God, noone else knows whether you have kept the fast or not

She has phrased this really badly

Why so?...she was just honest...making a new national record > fasting...

Better than her coming up with some fake Islamic argument...

Many ullemas have stated that sportsmen should not fast whilst taking part in their respective sports

Not only will it negatively affect their performance, this could have a massive impact on their livelihood and health (fasting 20 hours or so in the uk as well as playing sport can be categorised as dangerous)

No please do tell me...If I am a ski-instructor...am I required to fast?...
If I do telesales for a living...am I required to fast?...
If I am a doctor...am I required to fast?...
If I am a teacher (which I am)...am I required to fast?...
If I am a personal trainer...am I required to fast?...
If I am a policeman...am I required to fast?...

All jobs that would be negatively effected by fasting...I have worked in telesales before and I have seen the types of low scores people get during Ramadan...and performance related jobs like these you don't last too long in...somehow I think losing your job might effect your ability to feed your children...

I am not suggesting none of these people should fast but its ridiculous to suggest that only sportsmen suffer a dip in performance during Ramadan...

What damage is there to a cricketer or footballers livelihood if they fast?...footballers and cricketers HAVE played and fasted before...but I can see how according to you making a few bad scores effects the livelihood of someone a lot more than in any other job...there is just nothing special about being a sportsman that should make you exempt from anything...

And if you can't fast because your playing sport then maybe you shouldn't play during that month...instead of coming up with bs arguments that only sportsmen have a job that exempts them from fasting...

Of course performance can be affected in all sorts of jobs. What I said is if your livelihood is at risk, not the same thing at all. Sure some sportsman including footballers and cricketers have fast and will continue to fast. However this doesn't mean they are bound to fast, they have other options available to them.

This is not a set rule for all but is depending on personal circumstances. If the professional feels he/she can fast, great. If they feel they cannot they can abstain, make it up later or pay alms to the poor. e.g someone on debut or playing in very hot conditions may chose not to fast. The same person next year in different circumstances could chose to fast.

Why so?...she was just honest...making a new national record > fasting...

Better than her coming up with some fake Islamic argument...

In the same way some people see work as more important than salah but make it up later but the way she phrases it makes it seem like islam is getting in the way of her achieving a new personal milestone

maybe they are better off abstaining from participating when they should be fasting...

The Christian athletes seem to have had no problem abstaining when their principles are being tested...Muslims alternatively search for excuses...

Last edited by a moderator:
Professional athletes fasting for some 16 hours , it is tough and they are risking their career and health , both . They can fast at a later time or give money or food to the poor , something like that .

In the same way some people see work as more important than salah but make it up later but the way she phrases it makes it seem like islam is getting in the way of her achieving a new personal milestone

Which is exactly what she meant...by fasting she wouldn't get the performance she wants so she won't fast...

ooooh telesales example.

Brings up memories man. The hardest Ramadan ever. Mouth would be dry after 30 mins. Would be dying for a drink lol

Of course performance can be affected in all sorts of jobs. What I said is if your livelihood is at risk, not the same thing at all. Sure some sportsman including footballers and cricketers have fast and will continue to fast. However this doesn't mean they are bound to fast, they have other options available to them.

This is not a set rule for all but is depending on personal circumstances. If the professional feels he/she can fast, great. If they feel they cannot they can abstain, make it up later or pay alms to the poor. e.g someone on debut or playing in very hot conditions may chose not to fast. The same person next year in different circumstances could chose to fast.

You didn't address the post...I gave a list of occupations where ones livelihood can be affected by fasting...I have seen people get sacked for not performing in telesales jobs during Ramadan...were they better off not fasting then...if so then you can apply that to any job...if it negatively effects your performance it can effect your livelihood...

Your taking away the test element with your argument because essentially people should only fast when its straightforward...

Salah too might as well leave that too while your working because it can effect your livelihood...you see where there is going...you might as well abandon everything because its inconvenient lol...

ooooh telesales example.

Brings up memories man. The hardest Ramadan ever. Mouth would be dry after 30 mins. Would be dying for a drink lol

I'm feeling you on that...its a horrible job in itself...add fasting while doing it and its pretty much unbearable...

my issue is with scholars who mould rules to suit specific situations...and thus allow girls like this Qatari to get criticised for saying the truth from her perspective which is she wants to win a medal first and foremost while some other athlete can get away with saying I don't have to fast while I play sport with some flimsy Islamic reasoning...scholars finding evidences to suit pre decided answers rather than letting evidences determine answers is the main focus of this thread...

In terms of abstaining its a matter of principle...there were examples given of the likes of Jonathan Edwards...its not wholly inconceivable...

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't address the post...I gave a list of occupations where ones livelihood can be affected by fasting...I have seen people get sacked for not performing in telesales jobs during Ramadan...were they better off not fasting then...if so then you can apply that to any job...if it negatively effects your performance it can effect your livelihood...

Your taking away the test element with your argument because essentially people should only fast when its straightforward...

Salah too might as well leave that too while your working because it can effect your livelihood...you see where there is going...you might as well abandon everything because its inconvenient lol...

You miss the point. It's essentially up to the individual to make the choice. This is why some sportsmen fast while playing and others don't. This is why some people who are ill feel it's o.k for them to fast and others who may have the same illness may think otherwise. Islam wasn't sent to be burden on the individual and the rules on fasting are not set in stone.

For those who think its not a health risk to be batting for 9 hours without any hydration are idiots. The health risks are plentyful.

For those who think its not a health risk to be batting for 9 hours without any hydration are idiots. The health risks are plentyful.

I burn around 1200 calories at the gym (cardio) whilst fasting....its not that bad. :moyo

Dont know whether thats comparable to a batsman batting with a fast :S

I burn around 1200 calories at the gym (cardio) whilst fasting....its not that bad. :moyo

yeah a gym is not comparable to a cricket field. 9 hours out in the heat is not pretty, i struggle even when im not fasting

This reminds me of an event at School we had, some years ago. It was Cross-Country, during Ramadhan and everyone in the year was participating. A friend of mine had won it the year before and this year was going for it again, with a fast, of course. His only real competition was another guy (Ahmedi), who decided not to fast for the event.

Unfortunately, my friend didn't win but came second which was pretty amazing in itself.

'Course, this is no comparison with Olympic athletes, I just thought I'd share the story.

BTW, for those wondering, I walked it the whole way and came in dead last.

How the hell you burn 1200 calories bro ???? This is freakin impossible fasting or no fasting until u workout for like 3-4 hours straight how you do it while fasting ??

Last edited:
How the hell you burn 1200 calories bro ???? This is freakin impossible fasting or no fasting until u workout for like 3-4 hours straight how you do it while fasting ??

No bro...takes me: 1 hour 20 mins.

Incline walking on treadmill and cross trainer...been doing it since 15 so the body is use to it :inzi

No bro...takes me: 1 hour 20 mins.

Incline walking on treadmill and cross trainer...been doing it since 15 so the body is use to it :inzi

yes pls full workout also your weight and height cause I do jogging at around 11-12 KM for 1 hour to 1:15 min (of course without fasting) and treadmill gives figure of around 450-550 Kcals I am 5.7 and 59Kgs.

You miss the point. It's essentially up to the individual to make the choice. This is why some sportsmen fast while playing and others don't. This is why some people who are ill feel it's o.k for them to fast and others who may have the same illness may think otherwise. Islam wasn't sent to be burden on the individual and the rules on fasting are not set in stone.

A friend of mine has a dissertation due soon...they are not fasting because it is difficult for them to focus on their studies...its a masters so not an easy course and has cost a shedload...now she wants to perform to the best of her ability hence she has decided not to fast...she doesn't do well on her course then it effects her livelihood directly...

Essentially anyone can decide not fast if its an inconvenience...thats their prerogative...the point is however that sportsmen seem to be given some extra kind of exemption from scholars...scholars might as well make fasting optional for everyone...because it seems only their needs get taken into account...

Essentially anyone can decide not fast if its an inconvenience...thats their prerogative...the point is however that sportsmen seem to be given some extra kind of exemption from scholars...scholars might as well make fasting optional for everyone...because it seems only their needs get taken into account...

Good point. Anybody can argue that fasting causes their work to be affected. I think Islam(hadith) is clear when and where fasting is not allowed.

Out of interest is fasting obligatory on the battle field?

See, shaykh, Islam is not meant to be difficult in any manner. You can bend some rules.

The job of the Athletes is to perform by playing, and it does pose health risks if they do not drink water etc etc. Therefore, according to many ulema it is fine if they do not fast in ramadan but make up by giving up a kaffarah or just making up later on.

And yes, many jobs are affected by fasting (if not all), and its up to you to figure out whether it affects you so much that your means of living is affected.

I know someone who works at a telemarketting company, but does not go to work in ramadan because his money is less important to him then the fasting in ramadan. He is a student so it makes sense.

I fast even when I have school/university, because i dont think that my school work is affected to such an extent that it is impossible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its like most things in Islam. If you are extremely sick, and you miss prayers its fine. Catch up later. if your leg/back hurts really badly pray on a sofa/chair. If you do not know the direction of the Ka'bah, and you cannot find it out, just pray it taking a guess, and its up to Allah to accept it InshaAllah.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets look at the occupations you listed:
If I do telesales for a living...am I required to fast?... (if you need the money badly, you probably shouldn't need to)
If I am a doctor...am I requed to fast?... (being a doctor does not really tamper your ability to such an extent to not fast)
If I am a teacher (which I am)...am I required to fast?... (read doctor)
If I am a personal trainer...am I required to fast?... (Depends. If you are just teaching, I doubt it affects you that much. Also, if you need to keep up with your work outs, just do them after taraweeh before sehri)
If I am a policeman...am I required to fast?... (I would say yes)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What ever I have said above reflects only my opinion. and Allah knows best

OP....

you are NOT a judge of people's actions...Allah IS...he will decide what was right and what was wrong...he will decide if someone took a short cut and used some sort of a loop hole or was actually genuine...

there is NO COMPULSION in religion...if you want to FAST do it...if you want to FAST while running a marathon please DO IT....if you DON'T want to fast because driving 30 minutes to work is hardship for you then DON'T DO IT...you then have the option of making up that missed fast...if you feel like it DO IT LATER...if you don't feel it then DON'T DO IT...in the end Allah will judge you based on what he decreed up on you...how your interpreted it and if your interpretation was in fact genuine or was it the 'easy way out' of submitting to Allah...ALLAH WILL BE THE JUDGE

Allah o'Alam

Remember OP, one fasts in Ramadan for Allah...all good deeds in this month are FOR Allah...you can find excuses out of anything but one has to ask themselves...am I really being genuine?

I have to drive 2 hours to work each way this week but I am still fasting. Its my choice Ah. If i wanted i could have used the 'traveling' excuse but Ramadan is now and I choose to fast NOW and earn the blessings.

A friend of mine has a dissertation due soon...they are not fasting because it is difficult for them to focus on their studies...its a masters so not an easy course and has cost a shedload...now she wants to perform to the best of her ability hence she has decided not to fast...she doesn't do well on her course then it effects her livelihood directly...

I understand your point. I don't think sportsman should have any extra special exemptions from scholars but for me it's down to the individual.

I know it's the daily trash but an article on Britain Muslim Olympic rower not fasting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Games-paying-meals-1-800-people-instead.html

Good point. Anybody can argue that fasting causes their work to be affected. I think Islam(hadith) is clear when and where fasting is not allowed.

Out of interest is fasting obligatory on the battle field?

This is all I could find on the matter...appears not so based on this...

Although this applies specifically to being in direct combat and fighting Jihad...

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, it is permissible for the mujaahideen to break their fast in Ramadaan, so that they will have strength for jihad, even if they are in their own country, for fasting weakens their ability to fight and deal with the enemy.

This is one of the two opinions of Imam Ahmad and was the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and his two students Ibn Muflih and Ibn al-Qayyim, and other scholars. See al-Furoo’ by Ibn Muflih, 3/28

There is evidence narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that indicates that it is prescribed to break one’s fast because of jihad.

Muslim (1120) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: We traveled with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Makkah – meaning at the Conquest of Makkah – and we were fasting. We stopped to camp and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “You are approaching your enemy and breaking the fast will make you stronger.” This was a concession, and some of us continued to fast and some of us broke our fast. Then we stopped to camp again, and he said, “You are going to meet your enemy in the morning, and breaking the fast will make you stronger, so break your fast.” So we had no choice but to break our fast.

Abu Dawood (2365) narrated that one of the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: I saw the Messenger of Allaah (S) telling the people on a journey in the year of the Conquest (of Makkah) to break their fast. He said, “Gain strength to face your enemy.”

Al-Haafiz said in al-Talkhees al-Habeer: this was classed as saheeh by al-Haakim and Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr

These two hadeeths indicate that the command to break the fast was not because of travelling, rather it was in order to gain strength for jihad.

It says in al-Muntaqa Sharh Muwatta’ al-Imam Maalik:

The words “Gain strength to face your enemy” indicate that this was the reason breaking the fast. If the reason was travelling then he would not have explained it as being in order to gain strength to face the enemy, rather he would have said it was because of travelling.

Al-Manaawi said in Fayd al-Qadeer:

He said, “You are going to meet your enemy in the morning.” According to another version, “You have come close to your enemy…” From the fact that he gave the reason as their approaching the enemy and their needing physical strength to meet their enemy, it may be understood that in this case the fast was broken because of jihad, not because of travelling. If the enemy attacked them in their own land [i.e., when they were not travelling] and they needed physical strength, then it would be permissible for them to break their fast, based on what is said, because that is more necessary than breaking one's fast just because of travelling.

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad (2/53-54):

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded them to break their fast when they got close to their enemy so that they would have the strength to fight them. If such a situation happened when they were not travelling, and breaking their fast would make them stronger to face their enemy, would they be allowed to break their fast? There are two opinions on this matter, the one which is based on the soundest evidence is that they are allowed to do that. This is the view favoured by Ibn Taymiyah, and this is the view stated in the fatwa he issued to the Muslim troops when they met the enemy on the outskirts of Damascus. Undoubtedly breaking the fast for that reason is more necessary than breaking it for travelling alone, rather the fact that the traveller is allowed not to fast alerts us to the fact that it is allowed in this situation (i.e., jihad), for it is more apt that it be allowed in this case because physical strength in that case only benefits the traveller himself, whereas in this case it benefits the mujahid and the Muslims, and because the hardship of jihad is greater than the hardship of travel, and because the interest served by the mujahid not fasting is greater than the interest served by the traveller not fasting. And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And make ready against them all you can of power”

[al-Anfaal 8:60]

Breaking one’s fast when meeting the enemy is one of the greatest means of strength and power… and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, when they drew close to their enemy: “You are approaching your enemy and breaking the fast will make you stronger.” This was a concession, and some of us fasted and some of us broke our fast. Then we stopped to camp again, and he said, “You are going to meet your enemy in the morning, and breaking the fast will make you stronger, so break your fast.” So we had no choice but to break our fast.

So he gave the reason that they were approaching the enemy and they needed their physical strength to meet the enemy. This is a reason other than travel. Travel is a separate reason in and of itself, and he did not mention it or refer to it here. So in conclusion the principles and wisdom of the Lawgiver dictate that breaking one's fast for the purpose of jihad is more necessary than doing so simply because of travelling. So how about if the reason is explained and stated clearly in the text? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) insisted that they should break their fast for that reason, and this is indicated by the report narrated by ‘Eesa ibn Yoonus from Shu’bah from ‘Amr ibn Dinar who said: I heard Ibn ‘Umar say: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to his companions on the day of the Conquest of Makkah: “This is a day of fighting, so break your fast.” He named fighting as the reason, and used the word “fa” (= so) when issuing the command to fight. From this wording each of them understood that breaking the fast was for the purpose of fighting.

And Allaah knows best.

The battle mentioned by Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) took place between the Muslims and the Tatars in 702 AH, and the Muslims were the victors.

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

He – meaning Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) – issued a fatwa telling the people to break their fast for the duration of the fighting, and he himself also broke his fast. He used to go around among the soldiers and commanders, eating some food that he had in his hand, to show them that it was better for them to break their fast so that they would have more strength to fight. Then the people ate.

http://www.esinislam.com/Ramadan/Ramadan_BreakingFastToHaveStrengthForJihad.htm#AllahIsGreat

Worth noting that UAE religious authorities exempts all athletes from fasting because of the harm it causes yet only when it hits 50 degrees centigrade are labourers permitted to break their fasts...

Where do they get such an arbitrary rule from?...

Its halal for all athletes to not fast...but labourers its haram at 49 degrees to break their fast lol...that sounds a lot worse than a sportsman's situation...a 100m runner runs bloody 10 seconds in the morning and gets an exemption from these muftis lol...

And people want to tell me this isn't manufactured...

Last edited:
See, shaykh, Islam is not meant to be difficult in any manner. You can bend some rules.

The job of the Athletes is to perform by playing, and it does pose health risks if they do not drink water etc etc. Therefore, according to many ulema it is fine if they do not fast in ramadan but make up by giving up a kaffarah or just making up later on.

And yes, many jobs are affected by fasting (if not all), and its up to you to figure out whether it affects you so much that your means of living is affected.

I know someone who works at a telemarketting company, but does not go to work in ramadan because his money is less important to him then the fasting in ramadan. He is a student so it makes sense.

I fast even when I have school/university, because i dont think that my school work is affected to such an extent that it is impossible.

Its like most things in Islam. If you are extremely sick, and you miss prayers its fine. Catch up later. if your leg/back hurts really badly pray on a sofa/chair. If you do not know the direction of the Ka'bah, and you cannot find it out, just pray it taking a guess, and its up to Allah to accept it InshaAllah.

Now lets look at the occupations you listed:
If I do telesales for a living...am I required to fast?... (if you need the money badly, you probably shouldn't need to)
If I am a doctor...am I requed to fast?... (being a doctor does not really tamper your ability to such an extent to not fast)
If I am a teacher (which I am)...am I required to fast?... (read doctor)
If I am a personal trainer...am I required to fast?... (Depends. If you are just teaching, I doubt it affects you that much. Also, if you need to keep up with your work outs, just do them after taraweeh before sehri)
If I am a policeman...am I required to fast?... (I would say yes)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What ever I have said above reflects only my opinion. and Allah knows best

Thats the thing...you have provided your opinion and where essentially is the line drawn...I can find reasons for any of those professions to not fast...I would want a surgeon to be performing to the best of his ability for instance...

Policemen have a physical role...why are they not exempt iyo but sportsman are?...

I'll ask again where is the line drawn?...my friend with the dissertation has a lot more to lose than some cricketer or sprinter...

Remember OP, one fasts in Ramadan for Allah...all good deeds in this month are FOR Allah...you can find excuses out of anything but one has to ask themselves...am I really being genuine?

I have to drive 2 hours to work each way this week but I am still fasting. Its my choice Ah. If i wanted i could have used the 'traveling' excuse but Ramadan is now and I choose to fast NOW and earn the blessings.

And I respect that...tbh my thread is less about individuals and their reasons for fasting but on how scholars provide sportsman special exemptions...

I am simply trying to work out how such exemptions are justified...and the arguments that come out seem to be applicable to anyone and everyone not just sportsmen...hence why I am saying the scholars should simply say fasting is an optional exercise for everyone not just for sportsmen based on their own arguments...

I understand your point. I don't think sportsman should have any extra special exemptions from scholars but for me it's down to the individual.

I know it's the daily trash but an article on Britain Muslim Olympic rower not fasting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Games-paying-meals-1-800-people-instead.html

This bit sounds really dubious...he didn't like the first option so found another easier one...i'm sorry but this is absolute nonsense from the rower...

And lol at his quote...mainly my issue is with scholarship but this guy is a perfect example of someone looking to bend Islam to suit his situation...he makes the Olympics sound like hes going to war...

He also states that performance is his main criteria here...

‘Scripture says you must fast unless you have “due cause”. The way I see it, I have a cause, which is the Olympic Games,’ Moe said.

But an imam he consulted warned that for each of the 30 days of Ramadan that he transgressed the rules he would incur an entire month of fasting later on. ‘That could have meant years of not eating between sunrise and sunset,’ Moe, 24, told The Mail on Sunday.

Desperate to find another solution, he then heard about Moroccan goalkeeper Badou Zaki, who though a Muslim never fasted during his time at Real Mallorca in Spain’s La Liga. Instead, he would go to Morocco each year to pay for thousands of meals for the poor.

Last edited:
I say, at the end of the day, if you have proper knowledge, it's down to intention.

If you're looking for an excuse to get out of fasting, then it's wrong. If you think it will legitimately hurt your health/performance/job security, then by all means make them up later or feed the poor.

There was this incident that happened during the time of the Prophet (pbuh) in which some men were fasting while travelling in the heat of the desert with a caravan, the prophet was present too. The aforementioned men could not continue and fainted because of the extreme heat and dehydration. This was a major inconvenience for the caravan and they had to camp there and wait for the two men to get back to their senses. The Prophet told them to break their fast.

I don't remember the details of this hadith too well but the highlight of it was that a person should not fast if he risks his health and his life due to it which will also cause an inconvenience to others, which is exactly what will happen to athletes. Intention counts big time though and that is only known by the person themself and Allah.

With the Olympics coming up during Ramadan there has been a lot of talk about how Muslims athletes will handle the issue...Muslims comprise 27% of athletes competing at the Games...

Some it seems have decided to fast regardless...
Some believe they should fast but have chosen not to because they would prefer to perform in their chosen sport...
And the third one is the more interesting one which is some who believe performing a sport allows for some sort of exemption in fasting...

The views among scholars are very divided and some sound somewhat pragmatic...

For instance the 'extreme difficulties' comment is just nonsense...your performance may suffer but playing sport whilst fasting does not present extreme difficulties...

The no fasting thing while travelling seems to be manipulated quite easily...quite laughable one is that its travelling providing you dont remain in one place for 4 days...so encouragement to manipulate the system...

And the LSE guy states how one can find an opinion...and essentially thats how it appears...find an opinion that suits them...

The penultimate sentence of the article is revealing in that it states most of the Muslim athletes would not be performing their fasts because they wanted to ensure they got a breakthrough performance...

I atleast respect the Qatari girl who says she will prioritise making a record over fasting...its a lot more honest than the sportsmen who seem to apply some kind of Islamic legitimacy to avoiding their fast...

Everyone has stressful jobs...and everyone is any line of work finds that their performances are effected during this month...what makes sportsmen so special that their CHOSEN profession provides them exemptions...

Be like the Qatari girl if your not gonna fast...finding manufactured scholastic opinions just seems a bit silly...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/s...l-create-conflicts.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

its a handicap for professional sports person to fast and then play competitive sports. He or she is risking his life as well, due to dehydration etc. Hence when there is danger to ife then Islam gives preference to life and rules get softened to adjust such issues.
The fast in itself can be kept at a later time after the games are over,

Absolutely no way that equates to 1200 calories.

I do not need to justify myself to no one.

I walk at 5.9 kph at full incline for 40- 45 minutes which usually burns around 700 calories and the rest is burnt on the cross trainer.

its just hard work which I am willing to do..I put on weight due to exam and I have been dropping a kg every 3 days using this programme.

Its a tried and tested thing for me...been doing it for years as my weight goes up, down a lot.

It is very extreme work out but I am a guy who does things to the extreme as my friends would say.

I do not know how accurate is the machine reading but this is the figures that i get.

I am not sure if you should be burning 1200 calories through exercise everyday? Unless you are eating quite a bit to compensate for it (I would assume one would feel really hungry after such an intense workout).

@ Simba: Dude, isn't burning 1200 calories a bit excessive? I mean that's how much I probably eat in a day. Unless you are an athlete or something. But if you are just trying to lose weight, I would assume this margin would be unsafe. Especially when you are fasting, you would have like a negative caloric intake (unless you pig out at iftari lol).

I agree with people above, 1200 calories burned from that workout is just :O - I don't like treadmills and prefer to be outdoors but dang, guess that incline is really effective. I mean, I go running for 30 minutes in the mornings (at 11-12 kph) & that only means burning around 220 something calories according to my Nike Running App!

Overall, as long as one is getting their one hour of exercise in everyday, that's all that really matters. Anyways, rather than sports/workouts being a problem, I would say trying to get in 6-8 recommended servings of fruits+veggies with fasting is tough. There's only so much one can eat between the seven hour period from iftari to sehri!

the incline is not that effective.. your not losing 1200 calories in abit more then an hour.. especially if your power walking..

If you were running like a horse for 2 hours then i would believe that you were losing around 1200 calories.

I think your treadmill is screwed dude :p

Last edited:

I walk at 5.9 kph at full incline for 40- 45 minutes which usually burns around 700 calories and the rest is burnt on the cross trainer.

its just hard work which I am willing to do..I put on weight due to exam and I have been dropping a kg every 3 days using this programme.

Its a tried and tested thing for me...been doing it for years as my weight goes up, down a lot.

It is very extreme work out but I am a guy who does things to the extreme as my friends would say.

I do not know how accurate is the machine reading but this is the figures that i get.

The machine HAS to be wrong. Especially if you're power walking.

I run 2 miles in 20 minutes and burn around 200 calories. I would have to run at 10km/hr for 120 mins to burn 1200 calories. I'm sorry but thats just ridiculous.

dropping 1 kg every three days is just idiotic. You're not losing fat, rather muscle and water with it.

Today I had 3rd day of regular workout as before Ramadan. Fasts here are quite long starting from 4:13 in the morning till 9:21 today. I reduced the number of sets to just 2 for each different exercise and decided not to increase the weight of my lifts It went fine energy level was fine I went to gym just 1:30 mins before Maghrib. Decided not to do any cardio during ramadan because I dont think I can handle it without proper glucose in the body and it is not possible to to run after aftar will be really really late at around 11:30 or so when I would feel like doing so.

dropping 1 kg every three days is just idiotic. You're not losing fat, rather muscle and water with it.

hmm okay..water is lost initially and am well past that stage.

My skeletal muscle is the same as it was when I started cardio.

The machine HAS to be wrong. Especially if you're power walking.

I run 2 miles in 20 minutes and burn around 200 calories. I would have to run at 10km/hr for 120 mins to burn 1200 calories. I'm sorry but thats just ridiculous.

How does no one believe my that burning a 1000 plus calories at the gym is do able??? lazy bunch of asians!

Incline power walking is very good for your health and burns a lot of calories.

i can provide photographic evidence if that is required of my calories lost.

You should see the state of me after the work out...dripping wet shirt, jogging bottoms.

I'm not saying you're lying, but that the machine is malfunctioning.

If you don't mind, what do you weigh/how tall are you?

I'm not saying you're lying, but that the machine is malfunctioning.

If you don't mind, what do you weigh/how tall are you?

I have some weird kind of: OCD and dont use the same machine...I use the next machine down to its right. So its not one machine.

I am 5 ft 8.5 and weigh 77.5 kg....I started at 87kg a few weeks ago.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Karim Benzema fasted all day. <br>Broke his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ramadan?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ramadan</a> fast 13 minutes before the match.<br>Then scored 3 goals against Chelsea. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Legend?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Legend</a> <a href="https://t.co/grMb8H7x7n">pic.twitter.com/grMb8H7x7n</a></p>— Khaled Beydoun (@KhaledBeydoun) <a href="https://twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1512513976516632579?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 8, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Karim Benzema fasted all day. <br>Broke his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ramadan?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ramadan</a> fast 13 minutes before the match.<br>Then scored 3 goals against Chelsea. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Legend?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Legend</a> <a href="https://t.co/grMb8H7x7n">pic.twitter.com/grMb8H7x7n</a></p>— Khaled Beydoun (@KhaledBeydoun) <a href="https://twitter.com/KhaledBeydoun/status/1512513976516632579?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 8, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Respect.

Cricket is the best sport to play when you’re fasting

“I”ll be in the slips lads for the next 40 overs and bowl some leg spin if needed”

:yk3

There are some boxers I know who fast during competition which is nuts

Sadio Mane has revealed that Liverpool have changed their normal training schedule to help Muslim players taking part in Ramadan.

This year Ramadan began in the evening of April 1 and it will end at night on May 1.

Muslims traditionally fast from sunrise to sunset during Ramadan. During this period of fasting, followers are required to abstain from eating and drinking.

Liverpool have multiple senior players who are Muslim, including Mane, Mo Salah Ibrahima Konate and Naby Keita.

According to Mane, club captain Jordan Henderson spoke to Jurgen Klopp on behalf of those players and the manager agreed to move training sessions from the afternoon to the morning.

Speaking to beIN SPORTS, Mane explained: "It's not easy because playing and training and doing Ramadan is not easy at all. But before Ramadan we tried to speak with the captain to tell the boss maybe can we change the schedule and train in the morning.

"It's easier for us. If you train in the morning then you have time to rest and go home. If you train around two or three, it's gonna be tough!

"The coach said yes and I think that makes it easier and we're trying to do our best."

Asked how players handle fasting on gamedays, Mane replied: "It's not easy, but like always the gameday is something else.

"With Ramadan it's tough but I think Liverpool, they try to make everything easier for us."

Mane was speaking ahead of Liverpool's Champions League semi-final first leg against Villarreal at Anfield.

He would go on to score Liverpool's second goal in a 2-0 win.

Sunrise in Liverpool on Wednesday was before 6am and sunset was around 8.30pm, meaning Mane and Co were unable to break their fast until half time.

Salah and Konate played the full match, while Mane was subbed off in the 73rd minute. Keita made a 20-minute cameo in the second half after replacing Henderson.

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/news/sadio-mane-on-ramadan-for-muslim-liverpool-players

Match officials across the leagues have been asked to allow players to break their fast during evening matches over the holy period of Ramadan, Sky Sports News can exclusively reveal.

Many of the country's best footballers including Liverpool's Mohamed Salah, Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez and Chelsea's Ngolo Kante, are expected to fast this month and will abstain from eating or drinking during daylight hours during an important period of self-reflection for Muslims.

They will need to break their fast once the sun has set - and this will affect a number of players taking part in evening matches across the divisions over the next month.

Match officials have now been issued with guidance from refereeing bodies to allow for a natural pause in play and enable players to break their fast by taking on liquids or energy gels or supplements.

They have also been encouraged ahead of the kick-off to try and identify any players who may need to break their fast during the game, and where possible to agree a rough time for this to happen.

The Football Association and PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Ltd) have been contacted for comment.

Ramadan, which is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and observed by Muslims worldwide as a month of fasting, prayer, reflection and community begins this year from Wednesday evening (March 22) until the evening of Friday April 21.

Two years ago, Sky Sports News revealed Leicester City's match with Crystal Palace had been paused mid-game to allow players to break their fast in what is believed to have been a Premier League first.

On that occasion, both clubs agreed pre-match with referee Graham Scott that there would be a pause in play to allow Wesley Fofana and Cheikhou Kouyate to break their Ramadan fast.

Vicente Guiata delayed taking a goal kick just after the half-hour mark to allow Fofana and Kouyate to take energy gels at the side of the pitch.

SKY

Abdoulaye Doucoure: Everton midfielder on Islam, Ramadan, Idrissa Gueye and Amadou Onana

On Wednesday evening, Muslims around the world will begin Ramadan, fasting during daylight hours and aiming to connect with their faith.

This includes the 253 Muslim players in the first teams and academies of the top four tiers of English football who, according to advisers Nujum Sports, make up about 5% of the total.

Those players will be juggling the exertions of the Islamic holy month with training schedules and matches.

"I always love Ramadan," Everton midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure tells BBC Sport. "Sometimes playing football has been hard because Ramadan has been in the summer and during pre-season.

"But I have always been lucky to practise Ramadan and there have never been problems with my physical condition - I am grateful for that.

"My religion is the most important thing in my life - I put my religion first, then comes my work. You can do both together and I am happy with that.

"You get so much free time so I am always able to go to the mosque to pray and to enjoy my religion when I'm at home."

BBC

Nantes manager Antoine Kombouare has controversially dropped one of his players for refusing to eat and drink on match day.

The French club's boss left defender Jaouen Hadjam out of his squad this weekend for Sunday's 3-0 loss against Reims.

The 20-year-old Hadjam, who has made nine appearances since joining from second-tier side Paris FC in January, refuses to break his Ramadan fast on match day for religious reasons.

And Kombouare insisted it was not a punishment - but that he wanted to protect his player from injury.

He said: 'Jaouen? There is no controversy. It's his choice and I respect it. This is not a punishment, but I have a framework.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foo...p&cvid=f4360774a0814c90bbf1de30f2b3c352&ei=10

The best striker on the planet!

Two back to back hat-tricks while fasting!

"Ramadan Karim" Benzema is a different beast. Still remember him scoring a hat-trick at Stamford Bridge last year after breaking his fast mid-match.

"Ramadan Karim" Benzema is a different beast. Still remember him scoring a hat-trick at Stamford Bridge last year after breaking his fast mid-match.

History could strike twice , as he returns to the Bridge on 18.4.23 while fasting again. Not sure if you're a Chelsea fan bro, but even when he played against LFC it was amazing to watch. Anfield gave him a standing ovation even while being battered.

Benzema is the terminator, his feats are nothing short of miraculous. It’s also mind boggling how he is still active and playing at the highest level, arguably the best in the world, I have some ancient Fifa games on my PSP and Benzema is in the XI, I guess we’re not so old after all :yk3

How can someone be removed from the team based on his religious beliefs, which he has to follow in any case.

they should have hammered this out when he was being given his contract, lack of due diligence on the teams part, and the player should have informed them that he would be fasting during the title decider, both parties to blame for what should have been an avoidable situation.

Back