How will the delay in visit visas to India effect Pakistan's ICC World Cup 2023 preparations?

Utter humiliation for the BCCI.

10 years notice and still the BCCI makes a complete mockery of scheduling and preparation. Not to mention not allowing any spectators the the Pak vs NZ warm up game just speaks volumes of how inept the BCCI and the GoI government are!

Correct, India earned the privilege of hosting the WC on the basis of its cricketing ecosystem and the trust of wider international community who chose to give India the hosting right....and again in 2031.

Similarly, participating countries know it's a privilege to play in India.

Unfortunately, visa granting system is not the same for all countries. Some passports are ranked higher and unfortunately for the Pakkistan team they rank very low owing to low trust of the international community. Still, India being the good neighbor granted the visa within 5 days.
no, plz stop making stuff up again.

Kenya and Zimbabwe have also hosted ICC events in the past, it has nothing to do with cricketing ecosystem. The privilege was given to India by the ICC executive committee which includes all members.

Playing in India is not a privilege. The teams will be playing because they qualified for it on their own merit. Whether this tournament was being played in Afghanistan, playing is not a privilege as they qualified for it. The host does not have the the authority to deny enter to any participating player or team. Thus, playing in India is not a privilege, Hosting is a privilege.

Visa granting system does not work like that. When granting visa the question that comes why the person is coming, who is he visting and why is he visitng that person. Thus scrutiny is done.

If you are going to give me all that above ******** about hosting and still gonna wonder that why Pakistan is coming to India, than its better to not even have further discussion.

NEW DELHI, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Visas have been issued for the Pakistan team for their participation in the 50-overs World Cup in India, the governing International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Monday, following complaints of a delay in the process.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had written to the governing body complaining about a visa delay which, it said, had disrupted the team's preparation for the showpiece event across the border.

"Visas have been issued to the Pakistan team," an ICC spokesperson told Reuters without elaborating further.

PCB spokesperson Umar Farooq confirmed to Reuters they have been asked to collect their passports from the Indian high commission in Islamabad.

India and Pakistan have suspended bilateral cricket, thanks to a soured political relations between the neighbours, and play each other only in multi-team events like the World Cup and Asia Cup.

Earlier in a strongly-worded statement, Farooq decried the "inequitable treatment" metered out to a Pakistan team, who are scheduled to arrive in India on Wednesday.

"There has been an extraordinary delay in getting clearance and securing Indian visas for the Pakistan team for ICC World Cup," Farooq said in the statement.

"We have written to ICC raising our concerns about inequitable treatment towards Pakistan and reminding them of these obligations towards the World Cup.

"It's a matter of disappointment that Pakistan team has to go through the uncertainty ahead of the major tournament."

Pakistan will play two warm-up matches before beginning their World Cup campaign against the Netherlands on Oct. 6.

Arch-rivals India and Pakistan are set to clash in a mouth-watering Oct. 14 contest in Ahmedabad.

India declined to tour Pakistan for the Asia Cup, which was played between Aug. 30 and Sept. 17, and played their matches in Sri Lanka instead.

NEW DELHI, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Visas have been issued for the Pakistan team for their participation in the 50-overs World Cup in India, the governing International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Monday, following complaints of a delay in the process.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had written to the governing body complaining about a visa delay which, it said, had disrupted the team's preparation for the showpiece event across the border.

"Visas have been issued to the Pakistan team," an ICC spokesperson told Reuters without elaborating further.

PCB spokesperson Umar Farooq confirmed to Reuters they have been asked to collect their passports from the Indian high commission in Islamabad.

India and Pakistan have suspended bilateral cricket, thanks to a soured political relations between the neighbours, and play each other only in multi-team events like the World Cup and Asia Cup.

Earlier in a strongly-worded statement, Farooq decried the "inequitable treatment" metered out to a Pakistan team, who are scheduled to arrive in India on Wednesday.

"There has been an extraordinary delay in getting clearance and securing Indian visas for the Pakistan team for ICC World Cup," Farooq said in the statement.

"We have written to ICC raising our concerns about inequitable treatment towards Pakistan and reminding them of these obligations towards the World Cup.

"It's a matter of disappointment that Pakistan team has to go through the uncertainty ahead of the major tournament."

Pakistan will play two warm-up matches before beginning their World Cup campaign against the Netherlands on Oct. 6.

Arch-rivals India and Pakistan are set to clash in a mouth-watering Oct. 14 contest in Ahmedabad.

India declined to tour Pakistan for the Asia Cup, which was played between Aug. 30 and Sept. 17, and played their matches in Sri Lanka instead.
India realise deep down that Pakistan is an out and out threat to India's WC hopes, hence GoI and BCCI doing everything in their power to disrupt Pakistan's preparation - such is the deep rooted and ingrained fear of Pakistan.

Needless controversy. Everyone knew the visa process for Pakistan would take longer than normal time. PCB should have taken this into account and applied 2-3 days before but no we will whine and cry and complain. Even now nothing has happened and everyone knows it will have ZERO impact on end result.

Now if Pakistan performs good some poster will be like 'Look the Indians tried to unsettle us, but we still won'. If the team performs below expectation same posters will be like 'We arrived 2 hours late, everyone was traumatised'. Win-Win situation.

Not surprising to expect petty behaviour from a 3rd world country with 800 million in poverty and full of slums. I hope the Pakistan players don't catch a disease there and their food is properly vetted.
Totally understand your frustration. Everything will be fine.

Of course, internationally it's well known that Pakistan passport is one of the worst to hold so their are bound to be additional background checks.

Just how things are.

This isn't some random called Mubashar Sohail from Sialkot. This is the Pakistan team. The whole time they are in India they will be surrounded by security. They will not be able to even leave the hotel without security following them everywhere. The usual processes and rules that apply to Mubashar Sohail from Sialkot do not apply to the cricket team participating in the world cup.

Visas can be granted in a day, I got my visa for Australia (being a UK citizen) last year for the T20 World Cup within 30 minutes of submitting so it is possible and bare in mind my name is Mohammed and never been to Australia.

You are a UK citizen and UK citizens get ETA for Australia.

Different scenarios don't even compare

India has the privilege of HOSTING the WC. The member countries playing is not a privilege as they qualified through performance.

India brings maximum revenue for ICC.

So holding the tournament in India is an obligation not privilege.

Without India money ICC revenues will dry up.

Why are all of you at each others throats? Pakistani or Indians what does it matter? We're normies, we ain't the goverment, so stop talking about privileges lol.

The Indian government being lousy doesn't mean that the Indians on this forumn themselves are lousy people. Same goes for us, pakistani visa's being ranked 109th or whatever doesn't mean that pakistani people themselves are 3rd class citizens lol.

Just respect and enjoy the game of cricket.
its the indians defending the usual bakwas.

its that we are fed up with.

an indian can do anything, and these guys will defend it

its the indians defending the usual bakwas.

its that we are fed up with.

an indian can do anything, and these guys will defend it
Broskie, I'm just saying, I am pakistani and granted I don't live in Pakistan, I live in Australia, so culture wise its obviously different as its been a very very very long time since I've visited Pakistan, ik alot of Indians here who are friends of mine.

We are all chill people here.

It's just nonsense visa issues. We got the visa and even if these guys were "bakwas indians" they ain't the goverment, their just forumn users so it's not like they can have a say in what happens politically. Just ignore them if their attention seekers they got no power.

My major concern is that we should be focusing on discussing how Pakistan can win the World Cup. Nothing more humiliating then us dominating on their own turf. This visa nonsense is bonkers 😂.

here comes another one :facepalm:

bhai tu rehnay dey, tayray sath koi pagal he bhess karay ga.

it would be better if you knew how hosting rights are obtained and the role of the ICC executive body.

I know because i have actually met people who know how the ICC functions.

Boards support India and BCCI for the hosting rights because India gets maximum revenues.

And all hosts are confirmed by ICC executive committee vote.

I don't need to learn anything from a guy who thinks Pakistanis submitted their passports for the visa on 5th September and travelled around during the Asia cup without passports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obligation? By that logic every tournament would be held in India lol. Last tournament was held in England.

Also that's false, icc distributes the most revenue to India, they don't per say need bcci contributions to support themselves.

If BCCI stopped supporting icc, then icc would simply stop allocating that insane monetary amount to bcci and just focus on other nations in terms of wealth distribution. More damage would be done to bcci then icc lol, if anything teams would become significantly stronger and India would be left in the dust if bcci stopped contributing.

Boards support India and BCCI for the hosting rights because India gets maximum revenues.

I don't need to learn anything from a guy who thinks Pakistanis submitted their passports for the visa on 5th September and travelled around during the Asia cup without passports.

Chal bhai aage chal.
Who exactly are these people? Because I've visited Sydney cricket ground management and actually befriended a guy who literally works at icc headquarters.

And that's false, boards make sure that tournament hosts are varied and distributed based of venues. Majority of the time the boards aren't in agreement hence the flawed structure of the icc such as hosting a world cup in England despite it raining their most of the time.

The icc board is in disarry due to so many different members disagreeing. Also the board is dominated by Australian and British representatives the most, the try to favour their own country not BCCI. BCCI is their 3rd priority not 1st. All licensing agreements and all that stuff is always Australia and England 1st priority.

The host nation whatever chosen will always get auto selection in a world cup and be excluded from playing qualifiers irrespective of rank, that's equally for everyone.

Chal bhai aage chal.
so you said it yourself.

executive committee votes, thus giving BCCI the privilege to host an event.

you do know you can get a visa without a passport? I understand if it doesnt work that way in India because its a 3rd world country, but Pakistan provides online visas where one is just required to simply print it. Its called The Visa Grant Notice.

Maybe before landing on the moon india should had updated its system

So why aren’t all ICC events held in India if it’s such an obligation?

I don’t think there has been a scenario in the last hundred years where ICC revenues have dried up.

The Indian market brings maximum revenue yes but the rest of your claims are delusional

Funny thing is they even said they've got no security to provide Pakistan so its better that Pak plays behind closed doors. Lol

Pak should've been firm about having the Asia Cup fully in Pak and then let Ind moan and groan about it.

India realise deep down that Pakistan is an out and out threat to India's WC hopes, hence GoI and BCCI doing everything in their power to disrupt Pakistan's preparation - such is the deep rooted and ingrained fear of Pakistan.
Absolutely. Delaying the visa process is pure mind games trying to wreck the best Pakistan World Cup campaign since 1992. Absolutely nothing to do with bilateral relations, PCB filing lawsuits against BCCI etc.

help me understand this.

Pak team members were travelling internationally till the 15th and some till the 18th

How do they apply fora visa w/o submitting the passport?

or How did they travel between countries w/o the passport.

Visa applied on the 19th and granted on the 25th. 4 working days.

Funny thing is they even said they've got no security to provide Pakistan so its better that Pak plays behind closed doors. Lol

Pak should've been firm about having the Asia Cup fully in Pak and then let Ind moan and groan about it.

Why would India "moan and groan" if Asia Cup had moved to Pak? We would have just skipped it and played a series with New Zealand or someone else at home which would have probably earned BCCI more than what they got from the Asia Cup...

It's the other boards that would have "moaned and groaned" after looking at the revenue sheets.

So why aren’t all ICC events held in India if it’s such an obligation?

I don’t think there has been a scenario in the last hundred years where ICC revenues have dried up.

The Indian market brings maximum revenue yes but the rest of your claims are delusional

You need to read up history.

The first time ICC managed to cross a million dollars for a tournament was in 1987 when WC was held in India and Reliance paid 5mn as sponsorship.

90 per cent of ICC revenues come from India. That's a fact. Without India that 90 per cent will vanish.

ICC was not holding tournaments for 100 years and boards were not making a lot of money either.

3 out of last 6 ICC events including this world cup are in India.

3 out of the next 4 will also be held in India.

If i am delusional, tell me who will replace Indian money at the ICC?

Players of Pakistani origin from other countries have also been affected. Two from Netherlands, Shariz Ahmed and Saqib Zulfiqar, both of Pakistan origin, couldn't travel to Bengaluru in late August for a short preparatory camp organised by the Dutch board as they did not get visas in time.

No Pakistani-origin player seems to have got his visa on time. None of the Afghans did either. It was not particularly discriminatory to Pakistan players.

Whether the policy is relevant or not is a different matter.

Obligation? By that logic every tournament would be held in India lol. Last tournament was held in England.

Also that's false, icc distributes the most revenue to India, they don't per say need bcci contributions to support themselves.

If BCCI stopped supporting icc, then icc would simply stop allocating that insane monetary amount to bcci and just focus on other nations in terms of wealth distribution. More damage would be done to bcci then icc lol, if anything teams would become significantly stronger and India would be left in the dust if bcci stopped contributing.

India is the host to 2016 t20 wc 2021 t20 wc 2023 WC.

That's 3 of the last 6 tournaments. How many more should India host?

Without ICC BCCI will make more than 7bn USD in revenues in next 5 years.

BCCI gets 37 per cent revenues and brings 90 per cent of the revenues. So rest 53 per cent is distributed among other nations.

How will ICC make up 63 per cent of the revenues with only 10 per cent?

BCCI will keep playing bilaterals and the IPL and other boards will be desperate for India tours as that will make up for their revenue shortfall from the ICC.

BCCI wont suffer and neither they will be in the dust. Other boards will be lining up in front of the BCCI office to get India to tour them as ICC recenues will dry up.

You need to read up history.

The first time ICC managed to cross a million dollars for a tournament was in 1987 when WC was held in India and Reliance paid 5mn as sponsorship.

90 per cent of ICC revenues come from India. That's a fact. Without India that 90 per cent will vanish.

ICC was not holding tournaments for 100 years and boards were not making a lot of money either.

3 out of last 6 ICC events including this world cup are in India.

3 out of the next 4 will also be held in India.

If i am delusional, tell me who will replace Indian money at the ICC?
Again, you’re not addressing the original question. Cricket will still survive and has done for over 100 years.

Also, the point of this thread was visas. I do not understand administrative delay for issuing the Pakistan Cricket team with visas, it’s not like any of them were previously elected, sanctioned and accused of butchering thousands of people of a religious group!

help me understand this.

Pak team members were travelling internationally till the 15th and some till the 18th

It is getting boring. You’re defending the indefensible.

You have no clue how it works. The hosts are responsible for their guests arriving and ensuring that everything goes through smoothly. This wasn’t done.

help me understand this.

it looks like you dont travel much.... or you have a passport of a third world country and cant get good services.

Pakistan provides a service to some countries where you can get online visa. You dont need to submit your passport, and you get your visa which you print. Its called Visa Grant Notice, which you just print out.

There is no issue in admitting that India doesnt have these services due to being third world country.

Senior Pak Journalist Waheed Khan was just reporting that ICC gave a Sept 5 deadline to all boards to submit applications for visa processing (note - that this was an application deadline and not passport submission deadline), ICC would then internally process and collectively submit all applications to Indian external ministry for visa stamping. But PCB being PCB waited till Sept 14 to submit the applications. Reason given - players were traveling to Asia cup with their passports. Hence there were delays with Pak visa processing.

Who exactly are these people? Because I've visited Sydney cricket ground management and actually befriended a guy who literally works at icc headquarters.

And that's false, boards make sure that tournament hosts are varied and distributed based of venues. Majority of the time the boards aren't in agreement hence the flawed structure of the icc such as hosting a world cup in England despite it raining their most of the time.

The icc board is in disarry due to so many different members disagreeing. Also the board is dominated by Australian and British representatives the most, the try to favour their own country not BCCI. BCCI is their 3rd priority not 1st. All licensing agreements and all that stuff is always Australia and England 1st priority.

The host nation whatever chosen will always get auto selection in a world cup and be excluded from playing qualifiers irrespective of rank, that's equally for everyone.

Former high ranking BCCI members. I have met quiet a few actually. For a long long time Kolkata was where the BCCI was run from.

ICC board decides who gets the hosting rights and India gets the most number of tournaments because boards vote for that.

Why do they vote? Because BCCI and India brings the revenue.

You are mistaken. Those days of Australia and England are long gone.

The last ICC revenue cycle was from 2016 till 2023. BCCI hosted 3 tournaments, Australia 1 and England 2. Shows whose the priority.

What licensing agreements?

Does BCCI even sell its players image rights?

Senior Pak Journalist Waheed Khan was just reporting that ICC gave a Sept 5 deadline to all boards to submit applications for visa processing (note - that this was an application deadline and not passport submission deadline), ICC would then internally process and collectively submit all applications to Indian external ministry for visa stamping. But PCB being PCB waited till Sept 14 to submit the applications. Reason given - players were traveling to Asia cup with their passports. Hence there were delays with Pak visa processing.
so this is just a random report by some guy but nothing in actual?

Former high ranking BCCI members. I have met quiet a few actually. For a long long time Kolkata was where the BCCI was run from.

ICC board decides who gets the hosting rights and India gets the most number of tournaments because boards vote for that.

Why do they vote? Because BCCI and India brings the revenue.

You are mistaken. Those days of Australia and England are long gone.

The last ICC revenue cycle was from 2016 till 2023. BCCI hosted 3 tournaments, Australia 1 and England 2. Shows whose the priority.

What licensing agreements?

Does BCCI even sell its players image rights?
That's fair, but do you remember the names of the board members and who exactly is even on the current board?

so you said it yourself.

executive committee votes, thus giving BCCI the privilege to host an event.

you do know you can get a visa without a passport? I understand if it doesnt work that way in India because its a 3rd world country, but Pakistan provides online visas where one is just required to simply print it. Its called The Visa Grant Notice.

Maybe before landing on the moon india should had updated its system

India grants Electronic travel Authorization to a number of countries but Pakistani passport isn't eligible for that.

Just because Pakistan is in the queue of perpetual bailouts doesn't mean the world's 5th largest economy is backward.

so this is just a random report by some guy but nothing in actual?
Even if this was factual, do you think that PCB would actually admit that they delayed the visa applications? And would you be really surprised if PCB actually blundered on this - don’t you guys know how incompetent your board is?

That's fair, but do you remember the names of the board members and who exactly is even on the current board?

Current BCCI board members are all well known.

My very close family members have been voting members of Cricket Association of Bengal. Some family friends have been CAB board members.

So i have met quite a few of them.

My very close family members have been voting members of Cricket Association of Bengal. Some family friends have been CAB board members.

AlrightE that's fair, you probs know more then me in this matter then.

it looks like you dont travel much.... or you have a passport of a third world country and cant get good services.

Pakistan provides a service to some countries where you can get online visa. You dont need to submit your passport, and you get your visa which you print. Its called Visa Grant Notice, which you just print out.

There is no issue in admitting that India doesnt have these services due to being third world country.
Pakistani team got the visas in 4 working days. It doesn't matter if India has an online visa option or not. It is Indian rule that the applicants need to submit physical passports. PCB should have known the rule and submitted it earlier.

It is PCB that caused the delay. There is no point in whining when we all know people of Pakistani origin will go through more scrutiny than the others.

Pakistani team got the visas in 4 working days. It doesn't matter if India has an online visa option or not. It is Indian rule that the applicants need to submit physical passports. PCB should have known the rule and submitted it earlier.

It is PCB that caused the delay. There is no point in whining when we all know people of Pakistani origin will go through more scrutiny than the others.
is there an official person saying that they recieved it in 4 days, or applied 4 working days ago?

stop making stuff up or going by reports

first you said you met them, now you are claiming they are verry close family members. Maybe stick with one.

is there an official person saying that they recieved it in 4 days, or applied 4 working days ago?

https://indianexpress.com/article/s...th-hour-before-leaving-for-world-cup-8955851/

PCB spokesperson Umar Farooq also shared the details of the process they followed to avail the visas. “We have sent the 1st batch passport details for the Indian visa application on 18th August to ICC. The ICC sent the visa invitation letter on 28th August. After the return of the team from the Asia Cup on September 15, we submitted the visa applications, along with passports, at Indian High Commission, Islamabad on September 19”.

This is from PCB. I didn't and I don't make stuff to a narrative, FYI.

first you said you met them, now you are claiming they are verry close family members. Maybe stick with one.

I have met BCCI members.

Close family members are members of the CAB that's cricket association of Bengal.

All of this delayed response has happened anyways, even though Indian officials made it clear that there will be no issues in the visa process. Still, the team was provided a visa when they complained about it to ICC. That's very frustrating as the team has missed the training camp in Dubai as well due to this.

As an Indian , I feel sorry for the fiasco . It ought to have been handled better . I am not aware of the facts here - whether Pakistan applied late or India deliberately delayed the process . In any case it is unfortunate.

However Pak team would still get to play their warm up matches as scheduled

As an Indian , I feel sorry for the fiasco . It ought to have been handled better . I am not aware of the facts here - whether Pakistan applied late or India deliberately delayed the process . In any case it is unfortunate.

However Pak team would still get to play their warm up matches as scheduled
Yep, we applied on time I guess, but anyway, the team has got the visas now but they have missed the training camp in Dubai which is very unfortunate.

Omg what's going on here! Like CJ pointed out, the e-visa service is not available for Pakistan passport holders. And what some of you are asking for is to create new policy exceptions, which ironically happens only in 'third world' countries!

On a lighter note, it's good to see some of the members finally get behind their team. The World Cup fever was missing, now it's here!

All of this delayed response has happened anyways, even though Indian officials made it clear that there will be no issues in the visa process. Still, the team was provided a visa when they complained about it to ICC. That's very frustrating as the team has missed the training camp in Dubai as well due to this.

Pakistan was provided visa in 4 days.

Usually it takes more than a month for a Pakistani to get Indian visa.

So there was no delay.

If pakistanis expected that Indian officials will stand on the gates with a visa sticker then you guys had wrong expectations.

Why did PCB submit passports on 19th September?

We should not go by media reports but by your heresay.

Caretaker Foreign Minister Jalil Abbas Jilani speaking to the press:

"As per ICC rules, providing visas to the fans is mandatory,"

He added that Pakistani fans must get Indian visas and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will take up the matter with the ICC.

Yep, we applied on time I guess, but anyway, the team has got the visas now but they have missed the training camp in Dubai which is very unfortunate.
All well and good, but did anybody question why the Pak team needed a training or was it a bonding camp in Dubai when it could easily be held in Pak itself? Or was it just an excuse to spend unnecessary money on PCB tab? Maybe you guys should say thanks to India for saving some precious dollars.

All well and good, but did anybody question why the Pak team needed a training or was it a bonding camp in Dubai when it could easily be held in Pak itself? Or was it just an excuse to spend unnecessary money on PCB tab? Maybe you guys should say thanks to India for saving some precious dollars.
Must have been a recommendation by the team psychologist, Babri, basically you try and go to a completely different surrounding for these.

Pakistan cricket board and some fans unfortunately have created unnecessary pressure on the team for their political agendas. The team is distracted and is unable to give its 100% in this uneasy environment some have created.

Need of the hour is for the team to quietly gather some good momentum going into the World Cup. Not indulge in any more needless politics.

The visas were issued in a record 48 hours time. For all the drama created, the team has underdelivered.

Back