ICC World Cup 2023: Pakistan v Australia | Match 18 | Bengaluru | 20 October | Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abrar is in reserves. How are you expecting him to play until someone gets injured?

Amir Sohail:

“The captain and management have to take chances and make brave decisions, to get the reward, the players traveling with the Pakistan team should have been given a chance in important matches if the selection is really on merit,”

“Pakistan team have to play attacking cricket, the defensive approach is not working anymore,”

“When you have the resources, there is no harm in utilizing them,”​

Fakhar should come in along with Usama. Would have preferred Abrar over Usama as surprise package, but unfortunately he is in reserves.

we should go with this team:

Abdullah
Haris
Babar
Rizwan
Iftikhar (6th bowler)
Fakhar (use him according to the situation)
Wasim Junior / Salman Ali Agha
Usama Mir
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Hassan Ali
Haris Rauf

Does Pakistan have the time to experiment here?

Australia are looking bad but can easily bounce back but Pakistan need to find a six hitting combo at the top of the order. People keep talking about "outside the box" thinking, so here it is:

Ifty
Fakhar
Babar
Rizwan
Shafique
Agha is supposed to be a good hitter
Nawaz
Mir
Hasan
Shaheen
Rauf
Abrar Ahmed

Go for broke against Australia, a loss here would still give Pakistan enough time to recover but lets try and get some top order power in.
You think ICC will allow Pakistan to field 12 players in a game where 11 players are supposed to play?🤨

I can guarantee you he won't, just can't. It doesn't matter if BLR is the greatest barring paradise in the whole universe (which it is). He neither has the skills nor the sheer guts to take on those gigantic Aussie fast bowlers. Specially, HW will probably make him dance. He could have potentially taken on Zampa as that guy is bowling as bad as Shadab, but when you look at his own horrendous struggle against spin since last Asia cup t20 there's isn't much room for hope. Now he may do something similar like last match or a 70(83) or 105(120). The issue is, you obviously realize those kind of scores will ironically assist the opposition more.
*batting

Adam Zampa against Sl first 3 overs 0/22, the next 7 overs 4/25 Pakistan watch out

I would play this going forward

Abdullah Shafique
Fakhar Zaman
Babar Azam
Muhamnad Rizwan
Saud Shakeel
Iftikhar Ahmed
Salman Agha
Usama Mir
Harris Rauf
Hassan ali
Muhammed Waseem

Starting to look grim unless Abrar and Mir are brought in

I wouldn't be expecting too much of Usama Mir personally. He was hyped to high heaven when the PSL began, but quite often bowled loose stuff.

But I guess since Pakistan is playing with two of the tournaments biggest spin frauds in the competition, he might be worth a try.

I would play this going forward

Abdullah Shafique
Fakhar Zaman
Babar Azam
Muhamnad Rizwan
Saud Shakeel
Iftikhar Ahmed
Salman Agha
Usama Mir
Harris Rauf
Hassan ali
Muhammed Waseem
Of all 31 ODI Rauf has played, 14 of them are against WI NeD Zim AFG.
From remaining 17, 7 are against NZ in Pakistan the from the remaining 10, 3 against India where he has shown his worth so not sure why he is the first name on team sheet

Of all 31 ODI Rauf has played, 14 of them are against WI NeD Zim AFG.
From remaining 17, 7 are against NZ in Pakistan the from the remaining 10, 3 against India where he has shown his worth so not sure why he is the first name on team sheet
Based on current form and averages this world cup.

I wouldn't care if its afridi that sits out or Rauf But we need to try something different current setup is not working and we have not even played the stronger teams yet.

But harris is on my list due to 1 extra wicket, and better econ rate

Overall figures
PlayerMatInnsOversMdnsRunsWktsDescendingBBIAveEconSR45
Hasan Ali3323.0113874/7119.716.0019.710investigate this query
Haris Rauf3325.0015053/4330.006.0030.000investigate this query
Shaheen Shah Afridi3322.0013942/3634.756.3133.000investigate this query
Mohammad Nawaz (3)3324.3014021/3170.005.7173.500investigate this query
Shadab Khan3320.0013121/4565.506.5560.000investigate this query
Iftikhar Ahmed327.003811/1638.005.4242.000investigate this query
Abdullah Shafique2-----------investigate this query
Babar Azam3----

I wouldn't care if its afridi that sits out or Rauf But we need to try something different current setup is not working and we have not even played the stronger teams yet.

Overall figures
Babar Azam3----
Fair enough but opposition rate SSA highly than Rauf

Afridi and Rauf are both average in the longer format.

Both very expensive and in the case of Afridi, if it's not swinging, he is medicore
The thing is, when the ball isn't swinging, Afridi needs to bowl more cutters, slower deliveries and come around the wicket to the right-hander more

He should also try to develop a knuckle bowl. Those deliveries are so hard to pick as a batsman

Aussies getting back in form is not a great news for Pakistan. They are hungry and desperate like never ever.

Honestly for guys like Warner, Smith, Labu and some of their pacers even this World Cup is becoming a matter of what legacy they are going to be leaving behind. Pakistan might be at the receiving end of this desperation at a wrong time during their journey in this World Cup.

At Bengaluru it is going to be carnage if Maxie goes like this. Early this year Faf & Maxwell added 126 runs in 61 balls at Bengaluru against Jadeja, Theekshana, Moeen led by MSD. But dramatic collapse cost them the game.

This is Pakistan's real litmus test for this tournament in my opinion. If we beat Australia, there is genuine hope to be had for a semi final berth. But I think we're very much the underdogs in this one despite what the media will make out like this is some even contest.

I think we could take a serious thumping like Sri Lanka currently are and it would put to bed any talks of semi final qualification.

Overall it would probably take 6 wins from 9 to see a team over the line. If a team can avoid a NRR disaster of any sort then possibly 5 could do it. Question is with 6 games to go where do we get our 4 wins? Only 2 of those we're expected to beat but the remainder are a very tall order. England look the only vulnerable team out of the SENA sides.

It depends a lot on which venue we play against specific teams. Australia at Bangalore would be favourites. Against South Africa at Chennai, we have more of a chance.

This will be a tough match for Pakistan and if they win this one, they are very likely to make it to the semi-finals but if they lose this one then it would be a tough road ahead of them in making the semifinals.

IRFL.gif
Aussies have given a pre match warning here to Pakistan that they are dead serious about this and what the game of cricket means to them.

Adam Zampa, during this Man of the Match interview had something to say about the Pakistan vs Australia match.

"(On the plans forward) I wish winning was that easy, we’ve got a big one against Pakistan in Bangalore next up. That’s going to be a tough one."

zampa.jpeg

According to sources, opener Fakhar Zaman and leg-spinner Usama Mir have fully recovered from their respective ailments and are available for selection for the crucial match.

Zaman had been struggling with a knee injury, while Mir has been battling fever.

Adam Zampa during the press conference today after their win against Sri Lanka.

[Reporter:]

"And just the mood generally in the group having won this game tonight, what is the mood like and what do you think it can do moving forward from here to sort of give you a platform in the comp?"

[Adam Zampa:]

"Yeah, I mean - after the first two games there's definitely a flat feeling in the change rooms. We all know that I think you could probably go from 1 to 11 and say we all could do our roles a little bit better, particularly those first two games. But we know, as Boss said the other day, we get backed into a corner and guys step up and we get on a roll, then anything can happen. It's a World Cup, so get on a roll. Obviously, really big game against Pakistan in Bangalore, and if we can put it all together and play a good game there, you go 2 and 2 and the feeling's much better."

According to sources, opener Fakhar Zaman and leg-spinner Usama Mir have fully recovered from their respective ailments and are available for selection for the crucial match.

Zaman had been struggling with a knee injury, while Mir has been battling fever.
As its a must win for Aussies, there is only going to be one winner here.

Don't trust average bowlers like afridi, Hasan and Rauf to contain the Aussies.

Also, shastri is spot on about Afridi

As its a must win for Aussies, there is only going to be one winner here.

Don't trust average bowlers like afridi, Hasan and Rauf to contain the Aussies.

Also, shastri is spot on about Afridi
Shastri is not spot on Afridi. A desperate commentator who is reacting to a string of few average days in the office for Shaheen

Shastri is not spot on Afridi. A desperate commentator who is reacting to a string of few average days in the office for Shaheen

I don't think he said Shaheen is not good. He said he is good. He said he is no Wasim Akram which is true whether he does well or not in the remaining matches.

I don't think he said Shaheen is not good. He said he is good. He said he is no Wasim Akram which is true whether he does well or not in the remaining matches.
And that’s the desperation. It’s like saying Gill is not Sachin. Of course he isn’t. These guys are literally kids.
Ignoring recent lack of form for Shaheen, at the same age, Shaheen has more control and swing with the new ball than Wasim. In his early years Wasim was a worse new ball bowler and mostly relied on reverse swing. Shaheen is OK at reverse swing.
Shaheen has already won the prestigious ICC player of the year award in 2021.

Fakhar Zaman has to come in. He's your only impact player despite all his limitations.

Similarly, Usama Mir has to come in for Nawaz. Nawaz is the poster definition of railu-kata. Can't bat, can't bowl. Shadab while absolutely terrible with bat and ball, still offers something in the field. His catch of Shubman Gill was never going to be held by anyone else in the team and dropped catches costs the team dearly.

I hope Pakistan gets to chase in Bangalore. That ground is nigh on impossible to defend. And with Pakistan's bowling attack, even 400 probably is indefensible at that venue.

Well they need to be on their A game now
Do we have A game in dugout? I doubt it.
You need to be brave and take bold decisions, it's not some fake league or bi-laterals in which you can continue with unfit & out of forms players it's WC you need to come up with your best 11.

We don't need to panic at all just need some fine tuning.
If SSA is unfit ( rumors also says he have fever also) give him rest for next 2 matches mohd wasim can't do worse than SSA right now.

Sit with shadab and convince him just put your ego aside and let mir come in.

For nawaz, i think we should continue with him.

Imam
Abdullah
Babar
Rizwan
Saud
Ifti
Nawaz
Hasan ali
Mir
Rauf
Waseem jr.

At Bengaluru it is going to be carnage if Maxie goes like this. Early this year Faf & Maxwell added 126 runs in 61 balls at Bengaluru against Jadeja, Theekshana, Moeen led by MSD. But dramatic collapse cost them the game.
ODI cricket doesn't work like that anywhere in the world and certainly not in Indian venues.

340 wont be chased

Get Abrar and usama in. Maybe Agha comes in for imam.

Babar to open with Abdullah and everyone else moves up one spot in batting order. Babar needs to grow a pair of balls and lead from front

I'm sure Australia will beat Pakistan in Bangalore 😍.
Most interesting match will be Pakistan vs Afghanistan on turning wicket of chennai😍😍
Rashid and Mujeeb vs Azam 👌👌
Won't be surprise if Afghanistan give a phainta to Pakistan 😂😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Chasing team will be heavy favourites in this match. If Pakistan win the toss and chase, I think we will be odds on favourites to win.

Pakistan have to back themselfs play smart but attack when the chances are their. They will have to bring their A game

At the same time Babar has to pick the squad based on conditons and should pick the best eleven from the 15 he has.

Even if that means dropping some of his friends.

He will have to be at his best with his bowling changes and field placement.

In the event if things are not working during the match he will need to have a plan b or c. Which he never does. He has to be more imaginative and think outside the box if things are not working

I doubt the above will happen, but will still hope and back this team.

Lets go Pak

In the event Pakistan win the toss, should they bat first or bowl first
Bat. You can build your way to 320. While chasing, 320 + scores have only been scored twice or thrice here in Bangalore. Also, Australia are not comfortable chasing. They prefer batting first

Pakistan should chase if they get the opportunity.

Bowling needs to be pinpoint accurate, need to build pressure in the powerplay to get wickets and lessen the burden on our spin bowling attack.

Spinners should be Nawaz, Iftikhar, and Usama.

Nawaz and Usama should not be operated together, that is one of the biggest issues we have. Shadab and Nawaz operated together and it let batsmen get comfortable with the deliveries going away from them.

Iftikhar is more than handy with the ball, give him a good field setting and let him bowl stump to stump to give a few overs.

ODI cricket doesn't work like that anywhere in the world and certainly not in Indian venues.

340 wont be chased

340 won't be set in the first place. I am talking about chasing under lights. A total like 300 can easily be mowed on this six hitting ground which Australia has in plenty. Maxwell, Warner, Marsh, Stoinis, Inglis. They just have to kick out Smith who is terribly out of form. If they back Smith they have to kick out Labu. They can add Green and ask him to open the innings play aggressively. Hope they roll out a similar IPl type track.

Pakistan most likely will lose this game

So might as well play with the attitude that they have nothing to lose.

Aim for 400 if you bat first. Just go for it. What’s the worst that can happen? You get bowled out for 150-200 in 25 overs? So what?

As good a chance as any to get one over on Australia in a WC, they are looking vulnerable.

A win here would be massive for final 4 chances.

340 won't be set in the first place. I am talking about chasing under lights. A total like 300 can easily be mowed on this six hitting ground which Australia has in plenty. Maxwell, Warner, Marsh, Stoinis, Inglis. They just have to kick out Smith who is terribly out of form. If they back Smith they have to kick out Labu. They can add Green and ask him to open the innings play aggressively. Hope they roll out a similar IPl type track.
There's no evidence of that. When has any team scored more than 338 while chasing in Bangalore? And that was 12 years ago.

300 + chases are not that easy in Bangalore. Hyderabad, Mohali, recent Kotla surfaces are much easier to chase like that.

Score 320 and good, accurate bowling + holding onto catches will defend it.

ODI's have always been different at all venues.

Anyway, Pakistan are not making record chases against Aussie bowling anyway.

Cricviz rated Sri Lanka as the worst attack of the tournament. Pakistan chased 344 against literally the worst attack at a venue where there is a recent history of high scores while chasing and aided by dropped catches from SL.

The Aussies have been rated the 2nd toughest attack. No chance of chasing 330 odd against their bowling lineup on a typical Bangalore wicket.

Oly hope for Pakistan is to bat first and hope their lineup is good enough to score 325 . Anything less than 300 and OZ will chase it down as well.

There's no evidence of that. When has any team scored more than 338 while chasing in Bangalore? And that was 12 years ago.

300 + chases are not that easy in Bangalore. Hyderabad, Mohali, recent Kotla surfaces are much easier to chase like that.

Score 320 and good, accurate bowling + holding onto catches will defend it.

ODI's have always been different at all venues.

Anyway, Pakistan are not making record chases against Aussie bowling anyway.

Cricviz rated Sri Lanka as the worst attack of the tournament. Pakistan chased 344 against literally the worst attack at a venue where there is a recent history of high scores while chasing and aided by dropped catches from SL.

The Aussies have been rated the 2nd toughest attack. No chance of chasing 330 odd against their bowling lineup on a typical Bangalore wicket.

Oly hope for Pakistan is to bat first and hope their lineup is good enough to score 325 . Anything less than 300 and OZ will chase it down as well.
Indias performance cannot be used to judge how two neutral nations will play here. In the last 10 years only 3 matches happened here ALl between India and Australia

India 383/6 Rohit 209 (158) (16 x 6s), MSD 62 (38) (2 x6s)
Australia 326 Faulkner 116 (73) 6 sixes Maxwell 60(22) 7 sixes Watson 49 (22) 7 sixes

Australia 334/5 Finch 94(96) 3 sixes David Warner 124(119) 4 sixes
India 313/8 Rohit 65(55) 5 sixes

Australia 286/9
India 289/3 Rohit 119 6 sixes

So basiaclly all are high scoring games. Only reason it was low scoring in 2023 was because Labu and Smith tuktuked.

Last 3 One dayers in Bengaluru 69 sixes were hit. Rohit alone hit 27 sixes out of it. Pakistan's best hope is not to dismiss Smith and Labu. They will tuk tuk and get to score like 280. Almost all big hitters thrived on this ground

Paks World Cup ended when they failed to get 300+ v Dutch there’s no patthyrana to give them 5 wides every over. We seen on Saturday how they play under pressure.

Keep what dignity you got left come home hurt bcci where it hurts in there pockets.

Indias performance cannot be used to judge how two neutral nations will play here. In the last 10 years only 3 matches happened here ALl between India and Australia

India 383/6 Rohit 209 (158) (16 x 6s), MSD 62 (38) (2 x6s)
Australia 326 Faulkner 116 (73) 6 sixes Maxwell 60(22) 7 sixes Watson 49 (22) 7 sixes

Australia 334/5 Finch 94(96) 3 sixes David Warner 124(119) 4 sixes
India 313/8 Rohit 65(55) 5 sixes

Australia 286/9
India 289/3 Rohit 119 6 sixes

So basiaclly all are high scoring games. Only reason it was low scoring in 2023 was because Labu and Smith tuktuked.

Last 3 One dayers in Bengaluru 69 sixes were hit. Rohit alone hit 27 sixes out of it. Pakistan's best hope is not to dismiss Smith and Labu. They will tuk tuk and get to score like 280. Almost all big hitters thrived on this ground
My point is where is the evidence that 330 + has been scored in 2nd innings here? It hasn't been.

So, it makes sense to bat first and get as much above 300 as possible. Especially for a team like Pakistan

Paks World Cup ended when they failed to get 300+ v Dutch there’s no patthyrana to give them 5 wides every over. We seen on Saturday how they play under pressure.

Keep what dignity you got left come home hurt bcci where it hurts in there pockets.
BCCi have already made money from India-Pakistan. Other Pakistan matches don't make money :inti

Overall figures
Babar Azam3----

You know things are bad when your supposed frontline bowler is going for an average of 70. Shaheen has been underwhelming since that beating he took in Colombo and is most certainly nursing an injury.

Shadab & Nawaz’s numbers are simply inexcusable on a World Cup spinners have found great success. The notion they should be picked because they can “bat” is extremely fraudulent as their batting batting averages are equally atrocious. At this point, it’s obvious the only reason they play is due to their friendship with the captain. Pakistan has to make bold changes if it wants to salvage its World Cup campaign but the extreme weakness on the bench strength makes that equally challenging. Even with the injuries, the selectors have not picked a squad that can go far in the World Cup and it’s obvious friendship with Babar was the guiding principle of who got picked and who didn’t. Given the limited resources, I would go with the following XI

1. Imam
2. Shafiq
3. Babar
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Rizwan
6. Iftikhar
7. Nawaz
8. Hassan
9. Shaheen
10. Rauf
11. Usama Mir

BCCi have already made money from India-Pakistan. Other Pakistan matches don't make money :inti
Have you seen those Indian wasteman youtubers theyr obsessed with Babar rizwan & Pak they don’t talk about India team can’t blame them tendulkar sharma bumra (there’s more personality in a sack of potato’s). India team is just coached robots

Kapil dev admitted Pak players had much more flare etc our players were just boring.

Have you seen those Indian wasteman youtubers theyr obsessed with Babar rizwan & Pak they don’t talk about India team can’t blame them tendulkar sharma bumra (there’s more personality in a sack of potato’s). India team is just coached robots

Kapil dev admitted Pak players had much more flare etc our players were just boring.
I seriously hope Babar's flair helps PAK out in this tournament because this doesn't look good for them after that drubbing by India :inti

You know things are bad when your supposed frontline bowler is going for an average of 70. Shaheen has been underwhelming since that beating he took in Colombo and is most certainly nursing an injury.

Shadab & Nawaz’s numbers are simply inexcusable on a World Cup spinners have found great success. The notion they should be picked because they can “bat” is extremely fraudulent as their batting batting averages are equally atrocious. At this point, it’s obvious the only reason they play is due to their friendship with the captain. Pakistan has to make bold changes if it wants to salvage its World Cup campaign but the extreme weakness on the bench strength makes that equally challenging. Even with the injuries, the selectors have not picked a squad that can go far in the World Cup and it’s obvious friendship with Babar was the guiding principle of who got picked and who didn’t. Given the limited resources, I would go with the following XI

1. Imam
2. Shafiq
3. Babar
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Rizwan
6. Iftikhar
7. Nawaz
8. Hassan
9. Shaheen
10. Rauf
11. Usama Mir
Imam is useless its rather better to go with Fakhar as he can give u a brisk start.

I seriously hope Babar's flair helps PAK out in this tournament because this doesn't look good for them after that drubbing by India :inti
Forgot to mention those Bollywood babes drooling over Naseem Shah on twitter. Must make ur boys feel insecure

Imam is useless its rather better to go with Fakhar as he can give u a brisk start.

That’s a fallacy as Fakhar has been struggling for a long time and looks totally out of sorts. Imam will give you 30-odd runs consistently, even with a punishing strike rate, and is a better choice.

The notion of this lot of Pakistani players having a flair must be a hilarious joke. Far from flair, they look totally confused, insecure and out of place.

And that’s the desperation. It’s like saying Gill is not Sachin. Of course he isn’t. These guys are literally kids.
Ignoring recent lack of form for Shaheen, at the same age, Shaheen has more control and swing with the new ball than Wasim. In his early years Wasim was a worse new ball bowler and mostly relied on reverse swing. Shaheen is OK at reverse swing.
Shaheen has already won the prestigious ICC player of the year award in 2021.
What about his complete loss of pace? In 2021, he used to average around 143 KPH with his effort ball being in the late 140s and early 150s.

It is his complete drop in pace that results in mediocrity. Otherwise he's a great bowler.

This will be difficult for Pakistan. The best chance for them is to bowl first and try to restrict Australia under 325 and chase it down under lights. Both teams have struggling bowlers so both will be looking to chase.

What about his complete loss of pace? In 2021, he used to average around 143 KPH with his effort ball being in the late 140s and early 150s.

It is his complete drop in pace that results in mediocrity. Otherwise he's a great bowler.
The main issue is line and length. He needs to get into rhythm, that’s all.
Even at high 130s, he lit up the 2022 WC at the back end.
Also, Shaheen averaged 40+ in ODIs in 2021. The high pace wasn’t helping. The average drops to 21 since 2022 ever since he’s focused on getting shape.

This will be difficult for Pakistan. The best chance for them is to bowl first and try to restrict Australia under 325 and chase it down under lights. Both teams have struggling bowlers so both will be looking to chase.
I don't think Australia is struggling. Yes, they don't meet their standards. But even in his worst form, Starc is not terrible. One of the very few fast bowlers that have an ER under 5 in this world cup.

Screenshot-2023-10-16-203503.jpg

Nawaz is the most useless player in ODIs. He can't bowl, can't bat and can't field either.

Ideally both Nawaz and Shadab should be dropped but I have a feeling Babar will not drop Shaddy.

We have too many bits and pieces players in this team who are neither bowler, nor batsman. Shadab is considered an all rounder but he rarely clicks in batting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back