ICC World Cup 2023: Pakistan v Australia | Match 18 | Bengaluru | 20 October | Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per some analysts there are talks of Pakistan going with 7-4 combo

Imam
Shafique
Babar
Riz
Saud
Agha
Ifti
Usama
Shaheen
Hasan
Haris

Does anyone think Pakistan will go with this combination?

Imam
Shafique
Babar
Riz
Saud
Agha
Ifti
Usama
Shaheen
Hasan
Haris

This is actually a very potent lineup and the best possible combination given the seriously deficient selection. But I agree, I highly doubt Babar will go for this as it removes his buddies Nawaz & Shadab. The inclusion of this two is more important than Pakistan’s chances of going far in this World Cup. ‘Friends over success,’ is the motto of this team under Babar.

Though Australia won todays game, they still did not look fluent. They are still a struggling team. Their batsmen are still out of form and bowlers are not effective in Indian conditions.

This is actually a very potent lineup and the best possible combination given the seriously deficient selection. But I agree, I highly doubt Babar will go for this as it removes his buddies Nawaz & Shadab. The inclusion of this two is more important than Pakistan’s chances of going far in this World Cup. ‘Friends over success,’ is the motto of this team under Babar.
I always wondered why Pakistan doesn't take advantage of brilliant part time bowling their batsmen offer.
I could understand that it is risky to go with Ifti and Agha as they are both offies and can be easy for right handers but with Saud you have left arm orthodox also in mix. All 3 can complete 10 overs quota easily and won't be worse than Shadab has to offer right now.

Australia is still struggling to find their rhythm. Pakistan vs Australia is gonna be a banger as both teams will be looking to make up for their recent defeats. Pakistan still has a better position than Australia but a defeat against them will make it more difficult for them to qualify for the KO stage

Imam
Shafique
Babar
Riz
Saud
Agha
Ifti
Usama
Shaheen
Hasan
Haris

It's the better alternative. Just get overs from Agha, Ifti and Saud to finish 10 overs. Bowling all-rounders are frauds 90 % of the time.

Dropping Shadab and replacing with Usama is very logical. Replacing Nawaz with Salman can work if Salman adds aggressive batting to the XI. Nawaz or Salman or Ifti bowling will result in 60-70 runs off the 10 overs anyway so might as well go with the better batter.

Also get Fakhar in place of Imam.

Said this combination is best before WC began. Best for asian conditions if you haven't got quality all rounders
No team has got quality bowling all-rounders. All are getting exposed and will get exposed. Woakes, Curran, Shadab, Thakur, Stoinis to some extent.

Maybe Jansen if you want to consider him an all-rounder is a pretty good bowling all-roinder Batting all-rounders are always the better option.

No team has got quality bowling all-rounders. All are getting exposed and will get exposed. Woakes, Curran, Shadab, Thakur, Stoinis to some extent.

Maybe Jansen if you want to consider him an all-rounder is a pretty good bowling all-roinder Batting all-rounders are always the better option.
Need Abrar, Mir & Zaman to be in the playing 11. This will not happen and Pak will loose barring a miracle.

Babar and his old boys network

Babar will have a good runs against Aus fast pacers and turn less spinners

Don't think we have a chance however I'd go with this XI
1. Fakhar
2. Abdullah
3. Saud
4. Babar
5. Agha
6. Iftikhar
7. Rizwan
8. Usama
9. Wasim
10. Shaheen
11. Hasan

Though Australia won todays game, they still did not look fluent. They are still a struggling team. Their batsmen are still out of form and bowlers are not effective in Indian conditions.
I've got a feeling that Warner and Smith will get back into form, it's just a matter of time.

BCCi have already made money from India-Pakistan. Other Pakistan matches don't make money :inti
If anything good came out of paks great batting collapse 29 overs were lost in total billions in advert revenue etc must have been lost.

Both

Imam
Shafique
Babar
Riz
Saud
Agha
Ifti
Usama
Shaheen
Hasan
Haris

This is what I had been proposing as the bowling Nawaz does Ifti and Agha could do to same or even better effect. And Shadab bowling form is not returning so Usama has to be tried, though he may prove just as expensive but has potentials for more wickets.

Should definitely try to bring in Wasim for some more wicket to wicket bowling, and for spin, I'm definitely thinking we should try to give Usama a try. The main reason Usama isn't playing is Shadab has a strong position/status on the team. Not long ago, he was considered a backup (and future) captain. There are a lot of games to go, so developing your bowling lineup till it gets right is the way to go.

For batting, I think we just had an off day and crumbled under pressure. We don't need too many changes. Our batting is what it is, it will be on some days, off the others. Our staple is our bowling, and unfortunately so far our bowling has been below par. We need to figure out some impact with spin, and get a wicket to wicket faster bowler who can deliver some yorkers. As good as Hasan has been in taking wickets, I think if you look at quality batting lineups (Ind, Aus, SA, NZ etc) they will pick him apart. If by some miracle we make the Semi's you want better than Hasan bowling at elite batting lineups.

The team should try to think beyond one game, not only try to win the current game, but longterm there's 9 games to be played and then possibly a SF/Final. You need to develop the right lineup. Our bowling is our strength, but right now it is a weakness. We need to bring in Usama/Wasim, and we need Rauf/Shaheen to get their line/pace back.

I see us losing the AUS game, unless we bowl incredibly well. They figured out some adjustments against the Lankans. Adjustments we haven't het shown with our bowlers. Their batting is breakable against quality spin, which we don't have. Hence, we need to develop Usama and Wasim into this world cup. If we remain stubborn and go with what we already have, it's yet another 5th-6th seed no SFs finish in the WC.

Pakistan most likely will lose this game

So might as well play with the attitude that they have nothing to lose.

Aim for 400 if you bat first. Just go for it. What’s the worst that can happen? You get bowled out for 150-200 in 25 overs? So what?
Hell will break loose before Pakistan ever think about 400 lol

Pakistan most likely will lose this game

So might as well play with the attitude that they have nothing to lose.

Aim for 400 if you bat first. Just go for it. What’s the worst that can happen? You get bowled out for 150-200 in 25 overs? So what?

Losing badly can result in a bad NRR.

NRR can play a big factor to determine the 4th team for semi-final.

Some players got fever in the past few days and most of them have fully recovered from it. Those who are in the stage of recovery remain under the team medical panel’s observation.

Source: PCB

Last edited:

Imam
Shafique
Babar
Riz
Saud
Agha
Ifti
Usama
Shaheen
Hasan
Haris

If nothing else I think if we stick to the same formula we have been using so far then we have no chance.

The 5th bowler is a gamble but Ifti is actually pretty solid with the ball. He’s no Hafeez but he’s capable.

This whole strategy depends on us being more aggressive with the bat so it would mean taking out Imam and bringing Fakhar in otherwise there’s no point.

PCB source have told PakPassion that a few players have a fever as we speak. A few more had gotten it some days back, and have fully recovered.

No further details are available.
Noone ever gets dropped in this team, they just get sick

I've got a feeling that Warner and Smith will get back into form, it's just a matter of time.

Well they are good players, when you have enough of them in your side, that will always make you favourites against teams who have less. Pakistan has two world class bats in Babar and Rizwan, I don't really follow the Aussie team, but apart from Warner and Smith, I would guess their secondary batsmen and spinners are probably better than Pakistan's, so that would make them favourites.

Australian bowling seems too much for Pakistan infact Maxwell is in a purple patch that's continous 50 tough overs going by Pakistan cautious approach we will have difficulty scoring at more than 4.5 per over.

Imam struggles against quality fast bowlers, AbShafiq is not that modern opener Rizwan has footwork issues against pace, Iftikhar is a dot ball king, Babar has his hiccups against spin Nawaz and Shadab the less said the better

Australian bowling seems too much for Pakistan infact Maxwell is in a purple patch that's continous 50 tough overs going by Pakistan cautious approach we will have difficulty scoring at more than 4.5 per over.

Imam struggles against quality fast bowlers, AbShafiq is not that modern opener Rizwan has footwork issues against pace, Iftikhar is a dot ball king, Babar has his hiccups against spin Nawaz and Shadab the less said the better
Pakistan can forfeit the game then.

We shouldn't have been at the WC if Babar was gonna captain. Waste of time.
What the hell. Looks like I have more faith in Pakistan's chances than Pak fans themselves.

It will not be easy for both teams as both teams have their own set of issues. But Aus spin will not work against Pakistan. All Pakistan has to do if they bat first is score 250+. Same goes for Australia too. If they score in excess of 250, they win too.

What is the purpose of chacha big muscles if he has to push the ball towards his own stumps rather than playing a simple shot with bat.

Imam
Shafique
Babar
Riz
Saud
Agha
Ifti
Usama
Shaheen
Hasan
Haris

This is the best possible combination from the given set of players. Ideally Ibrar should have been ahead of usama once he proved satisfactory in tests

Pakistan apparently cancelled training this evening

Not sure what’s going on

Have you seen those Indian wasteman youtubers theyr obsessed with Babar rizwan & Pak they don’t talk about India team can’t blame them tendulkar sharma bumra (there’s more personality in a sack of potato’s). India team is just coached robots

Kapil dev admitted Pak players had much more flare etc our players were just boring.
honey we ran out of skills, competency and results. Lets bring some flair to defeat these boring Indias.. this excuse is pathetic

Australia will win this match comfortably. Pak might potential lose to Afghans in Chennai. Pak needs to be careful they will be playing their last two matches against NZ and Eng. NZ is at BLR and again short boundaries. Boult, Williamson, Conway, Southee, all have experience and crowd favorites. Even Rachin will get lots of support in BLR as his family lives there. Boult and Southee have experience bowling to shorter boundaries there. Conway and Williamson have experience playing there. It is not going to be easy for Pak. If they lose on Friday, as I expect they will, it would make it very difficult for them to progress to Semis. All easy games are over

It seems that Abdillah Shafique is in quarantine and that Shaheen, Saud, Zaman Khan have fevers. It is unclear if they have COVID or if they have a mild flu.
This is the last thing we need in this World Cup. They still have a few days to recover so let's see how they go

They must but Babar is clueless nd stubborn. Two of the worst possible traits
why would you want to do this? BLR is great for batting. do you need 7 batsman there? you need better bowling support.. you need five full time bowler to defend any score there..

why would you want to do this? BLR is great for batting. do you need 7 batsman there? you need better bowling support.. you need five full time bowler to defend any score there..
It's simple atm.We don't have proper spinners in the squad.
Shadab and Nawaz are worse than part timers currently. They don't pick wickets and go for plenty.
Why can't we strength our batting at least and play a more attacking brand.

It's simple atm.We don't have proper spinners in the squad.
Shadab and Nawaz are worse than part timers currently. They don't pick wickets and go for plenty.
Why can't we strength our batting at least and play a more attacking brand.
you can strengthen all your want, but that is unlikely to come to play. It is not easy to get wickets unless team plays very poorly in BLR. It is a fast wicket with great outfield and small ground. Batsman will get value for their shorts. The top order will surely score freely, even Pak top order. It is unlikely that you need a full time batsman at no 7. an allrounder or a bowler who can whack is all that is needed. top and middle order of Pakistan will enjoy batting there.

I go into this game like I do most games involving Pakistan.
Hope for the best but expect the worst

Usama mir is not a big gun. He is just an ordinary spinner. I think it's time to expose Abrar at international arena

Yesterday been to family dinner and surprisingly tgat hotel turned out to be the one ,where pak team is staying.caught glimpse of ifthikar and one other player whom I coudnt identify

Will be watching live from stadium on 20th and expecting a good match

This aus team is lingering in bottom.

Pak team will eat this aus team alive.

Even at worst, the pak team will be much better than this minnow level aus team.

A lot of negativity. Yes, we lost to India but they are the strongest team in the tournament and have a good chance of going undefeated in the group stage. After our game, England and South Africa have actually had more shocking performances. We do not need to be the best team, we just need to be a top 4 team for the semis, which we will easily do.

changes I would want: Usama in for Shadab

changes I think that will happen: none unless Shafique is still sick.

Nawaz is an accurate bowler and can control the flow of runs. Also, the Australian Batting lineup is very heavily filled with right-handed batters.
We need to win 4 more games. Can afford to lose 2 vs AUS ENG SA and NZ, provided we beat both AFG and Bang

Last edited by a moderator:
Do Pakistan have a plan for Starc Cummins etc, can anybody boss them and make Australian go on backfoot, what if Warner scores 15 in first over, alot of questions

Mohammad Nawaz during a recent interview said:

“Yes, on flat wickets, we will be able to score runs but we have to take wickets in the middle overs. We are able to bat in the middle overs, but are failing to take wickets.”

“The loss against India is in the past, we are focused on our next game against Australia.”

“Australia made a great comeback and we are aware of that. We will do our best to win the game and get our confidence back. A win against Australia is important as we can ease our way to the semi-final.”​

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan team's practice session is underway at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.

All players, except M Haris, are taking part in the session.

Can the illness be used to bring in reserves? If yes the I would like to swap for following:

Haris (In) - Fakhar (Out)
Abrar (In) - Usama (Out)

Team vs Australia:
1. Haris
2. Abdullah
3. Babar
4. Rizwan
5. Saud (if ill then Salman Agha)
6. Iftikhar
7. Nawaz / Shadab (may the best friend win)
8. Hasan Ali
9. Shaheen
10. Abrar
11. Haris Rauf

"Friends over success" motto have long been cultivated since Inzi , Malik, Afridis captaincy in the team afaik... It is not a new thing that emerged under Babar.. And whoever object this and overrule prioritize team first and success culture will be uprooted with player power, inside gangs, groupism etc., it is such a toxic bunch from top to bottom...

Younis khan the only captain who prioritized success over friends mindset from Woolmers schooling was the only shrewd captain , but he was uprooted by groupings inside....

Can the illness be used to bring in reserves? If yes the I would like to swap for following:

Abrar (In) - Usama (Out)

Team vs Australia:
1. Haris
2. Abdullah
3. Babar
4. Rizwan
6. Iftikhar
8. Hasan Ali
9. Shaheen
10. Abrar
11. Haris Rauf
Haris is such a useless player to be a backup keeper in ODIs , Sarfraz presence in reserves and in dressing room would have done more good for this team...

Look at Haris domestic record , injured Fakhar is a better choice than him tbh...

Why do people keep asking for Fakhar's inclusion? He has been just awful and people want him back? What is this imaginary 25 off 20 or whatever they think he will do? He can't do that, get real. His scores have been at low strike rates. Low scores and low strike rates.
He has X-factor and ability to score big. Such players can turn match by their own within just 15 minutes.
Fakhar >>>> Imam + Azam

He has X-factor and ability to score big. Such players can turn match by their own within just 15 minutes.
Fakhar >>>> Imam + Azam
The guy was struggling against Hasan Ali in the nets when PCB put up a video of the training just before the start of the World Cup in Hyderabad...whatever X factor he had is long gone (similar training video of Imam in the nets showed that he was struggling with the short ball as well)...both need to be discarded post World Cup!

The guy was struggling against Hasan Ali in the nets when PCB put up a video of the training just before the start of the World Cup in Hyderabad...whatever X factor he had is long gone (similar training video of Imam in the nets showed that he was struggling with the short ball as well)...both need to be discarded post World Cup!
I would always prefer an out of form Fakhar over out of form Babar and Imam.
Babar, Imam and Shafique all are slow starters and one dimensional players. So, you need someone explosive like Zaman to bring variety in batting lineup.

Ideally this should be Pakistan's line up against Australia

Fakhar
Shafique
Babar
Rizwan
Shakeel
Iftikhar
Shadab/Mir
Nawaz
Hasan Ali
Afridi
Rauf

Yesterday been to family dinner and surprisingly tgat hotel turned out to be the one ,where pak team is staying.caught glimpse of ifthikar and one other player whom I coudnt identify

Will be watching live from stadium on 20th and expecting a good match
which hotel are they staying?

Abrar (In) - Usama (Out)

Team vs Australia:
1. Haris
2. Abdullah
3. Babar
4. Rizwan
6. Iftikhar
8. Hasan Ali
9. Shaheen
10. Abrar
11. Haris Rauf
Poor guy Usama, didn't even play a game and you want to take him out?

To be fair, Fakhar was described in a similar fashion before CT17 with Mickey stating he wasn’t even able to hit a throwdown in the nets.

To be fair, Fakhar was described in a similar fashion before CT17 with Mickey stating he wasn’t even able to hit a throwdown in the nets.
In the T20 World Cup last year, we kept playing Fakhar hoping he would find some sort of form and it never happened (and our fortunes only changed once he was dropped)...I can't see Fakhar smashing the likes of Starc and Hazelwood this Friday...on Sky yesterday, they were replaying Pakistan Vs Australia in the 2019 WC and Fakhar failed in that as well (and Imam scored a slow fifty)...

Some updates. Few of my past club mates got in to watch the practice sessions. They were not allowed to go anywhere near the players. They saw Hasan Ali and Shaeen Practicing. Hasan was bowling well so was Shaheen. Nawaz was carted for few big hits, not sure who the batsman was, mostly Ifti. Saud, Imam, had longer nets. They saw Babar mostly talking with support staff so was Rauf. There were also few local players who were helping around. No one seemed to be ill and they looked in decent condition, although none seemed to be exerting themselves much apart from Imam.

Some updates. Few of my past club mates got in to watch the practice sessions. They were not allowed to go anywhere near the players. They saw Hasan Ali and Shaeen Practicing. Hasan was bowling well so was Shaheen. Nawaz was carted for few big hits, not sure who the batsman was, mostly Ifti. Saud, Imam, had longer nets. They saw Babar mostly talking with support staff so was Rauf. There were also few local players who were helping around. No one seemed to be ill and they looked in decent condition, although none seemed to be exerting themselves much apart from Imam.
Did they see Usama bowling? Or was Shadab hogging up all the bowling?

That's good insight, keep us posted if your friends go tomorrow as well. I'm curious to see how the squad trains in lieu of their illnesses

Did they see Usama bowling? Or was Shadab hogging up all the bowling?
No, they did not see Usama bowling. But they did not stay too long, only for an hour or so. Generally senior club players are allowed around practicing players. I have been around many touring teams practicing there in Chinnaswamy and also in Chennai and Mumbai. But this time they are just being too careful about who is allowed close by. So my friends were kind of irritated and left early. But they saw Shadab bowling, not Usama. Even Rauf did not bowl a lot during their stay. He seems fully fit, but just casually bowling few balls. May be he already had his nets earlier.

Other interesting tidbits
  • Imam was practicing lot against short bowling.
  • Nawaz was really getting hit all around. there were two batsman who was hitting him, one was Ifti, not sure about the other one.
  • Shadab looked to be bowling alright. there were few big shots, but most of the time after bowling he would go down to the batsman and talk something. That net was slow because of this constant interaction. Not sure what he was telling the batsman.
  • they were also doing some fielding and catching drills. both were pretty low effort, maybe they did not want to over stress themselves. there was not a single dive to stop or catch anything.
  • Babar was spending time talking to someone who looked like Rizwan and also a support staff
  • they did not see Babar or Rizwan batting.
  • Shaheen bowled a lot of balls without a batsman in one of the nets.
  • My friends also spoke to local pitch support staff. Looks like one of the pak support staff grilled him about pitch state, temperature, ball movement, etc. they also wanted to know if the pitch that will be used on friday was recently used by any local teams (not sure why).
  • overall the practice was no way high intensity. My friends were saying it looked like how they warm up before Sunday matches. I think Pak was just warming up and might have had more intensity practice later or maybe they are keeping it for tomorrow.
  • Couple of my friends who have better connection and influence will be there tomorrow. May be more inside information.
  • My friends were strictly told not to take any photographs as they were not allowed there. That was a bummer :)

That's good insight, keep us posted if your friends go tomorrow as well. I'm curious to see how the squad trains in lieu of their illnesses
see my update above.. overall, not very intense session, they may have had an intense session afterwards. But most of players seems to be fine health wise. All were moving fine, and they were fully warmed up. But practice wise they were keeping it low intensity, mostly intentionally.

One surprising thing was that a lot of the players were standing around and talking. A lot of practice sessions I have attended, usually it is encouraged to keep moving once you are warmed up. This is especially true for bowlers as sudden bursts if you are nor properly warmed up can results in injuries.

Imam drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back