Imam-ul-Haq (132*) stars for Pakistan as they reach 245/1 at Stumps on Day 1 of the 1st Test

Aussies have 4 seamers including cameron green. Pakistan bowling lineup is terrible
Got lucky with winning the toss and batting first. Extra spinners will suite Pakistan if they take it to 4th innings with half a decent total defend.

Can someone check if Shan Masood is injured.
On what basis Imam is selected. It is bit baffling.

Australia has gone with wrong bowling line up.
Playing with 4 pacers and just 1 spinner.

Pakistan going in with 2 spinners and 2 pacers is actually reminiscent of the UAE model where we had a fantastic run. Often at times with 3 pacers and 2 spinners one of the spinner is under utilized and Pak has been guilty of that very often. I like this balance and winning the toss just made this decision better.

Can someone check if Shan Masood is injured.
On what basis Imam is selected. It is bit baffling.

Australia has gone with wrong bowling line up.
Playing with 4 pacers and just 1 spinner.

This is one dodgy selection. Let’s hope Imam rises to the occasion..

Very good start by the openers

They seem unnerved

Pitch looks docile at the moment. Hopefully its dry enough to aid reverse and spin as the game progresses and doesn't lose much pace

Last edited:
When Australia last tored Pakistan in 1998 Pakistan played a weak bowling line up comprising an old pacer ( probable named Mohsin ) leaving out Aaqib. No Wasim no Waqar . But today's bowling line up is even worse. What a choice by selectors!

50 runs opening partnership would be really good considering both these openers aren't our main batsmen. Target 50 and then let the real batsmen do the job.

When Australia last tored Pakistan in 1998 Pakistan played a weak bowling line up comprising an old pacer ( probable named Mohsin ) leaving out Aaqib. No Wasim no Waqar . But today's bowling line up is even worse. What a choice by selectors!

Dear you do know that the squad is struck by injuries/covid so I am not sure what selectors could have done? The experienced guys like Abbas are way past their sell-by date with their military medium pace so there is not much selectors could have done (Only guy who deserved to be there was probably Dahani but he too would have been making his debut so that wouldn't have helped adding experience to the bowling line-up).

Shocked to see that Imam was picked over Shan. Not that Shan should have been playing either. Should have gone with Saud and Waseem.

So good to see a few Aussie fans in the crowd :)

sO2g7Fj.jpg

Take out his PSL performances, he wasn't in the picture to be selected for this series.
stats.jpg

Are you sure? He was amongst the best openers in Quaid-e-Azam trophy. He was always in the picture after his 3 centuries in 8 innings.

Thanks for the info. I just tried to log onto ICC TV but it didn't work. I'm in the U.S. I was hoping not to activate evil Facebook just to watch this series. Which is what I'm reluctantly doing now.

How'd you watch it on fb?

Sorta self imposed pressure building up.

Classic inability to take singles and rotate the strike.
It’s either block or look for four.

this guys Abdullah at least does not make me nervous unlike openers from past

Sorta self imposed pressure building up.

Classic inability to take singles and rotate the strike.
It’s either block or look for four.

I've stopped complaining about that. It seems like a chronic issue that's never going to go away. Better accept and move on

Terrible batting. Two half trackers dished up but he couldn't find the gap! That is self-destructive batting!

No need to discuss streaming etc on this thread

We have a Broadcast thread to discuss legal ways of watching this series

One thing that separates okay to good batsman from a world-class one is the ability to find gaps. Imam proving (once again) that he belongs to the former.

Nice to have Rob Key on the commentary panel. He's very quickly become one of the best commentators.

Dear you do know that the squad is struck by injuries/covid so I am not sure what selectors could have done? The experienced guys like Abbas are way past their sell-by date with their military medium pace so there is not much selectors could have done (Only guy who deserved to be there was probably Dahani but he too would have been making his debut so that wouldn't have helped adding experience to the bowling line-up).

Even considering the injury scenario, there were better choices . Abbas would have been a better choice than Naseem for sure. At least he had some memorable match winning spells under his belt. What does Naseem has? A memory of belting all around on Australian hard piches. Abbas's experience was needed here . And form? Abbas took 3/44 in his last test in his first innings. Not bad, isn't it? Pakistan won that match. Let's see how Naseem perform here. In spin Newaz, Yasir Shah, Usman would have been better choices mate.

Pakistan is the other name of old boring sleeping pills cricket. The worst brand in world cricket. Thanks Misbah for introducing it.

Watched Lyon's first over. Looked dangerous, was getting a lot of grip and turn.

Pakistan is the other name of old boring sleeping pills cricket. The worst brand in world cricket. Thanks Misbah for introducing it.

yah play like bangla tigers and get out in 2 sessions, right ?

Bit baffled by their line up?

Yes. They have played too many seamers. Cummins to scared to drop either Hazlewood or Starc. Even Agar over Cameron Green would be a good selection

Don’t think Shafique will last too long against Lyon

Even considering the injury scenario, there were better choices . Abbas would have been a better choice than Naseem for sure. At least he had some memorable match winning spells under his belt. What does Naseem has? A memory of belting all around on Australian hard piches. Abbas's experience was needed here . And form? Abbas took 3/44 in his last test in his first innings. Not bad, isn't it? Pakistan won that match. Let's see how Naseem perform here. In spin Newaz, Yasir Shah, Usman would have been better choices mate.

I think you probably have missed the last couple of seasons otherwise you would know that Abbas is finished at international level. We would much rather invest on a young guy than go through the misery of watching a 120-125 kph trying to hold up one end (because thats the only thing you could do at that pace)
And that 3-44 you mentioned, even Naseem would have taken same number of wickets against that hapless Windies batting. I am not Naseem's biggest fan but he has had a solid first class season plus a good A-tour of Sri Lanka.

Anyways, this selection is just for this test and hopefully Hasan and Faheem would be back by second test.

Personally I think Australia have done no research on Pakistan batsmen and have played their no.1 side and backing them to just do the business

It’s only been an hour and idiots have started complaining about the scoring rate. It is the first morning of a test match!

Back