India (137/9 & 4/0) win a super over against Sri Lanka (137/8 & 2/2) by 2 wickets to clean sweep the series 3-0

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Sri Lanka and India are set to face each other in the final match of their 3-match T20I series today on July 30. The game will be held at Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, which also hosted the first two matches of the series. India has already secured the series victory by winning the initial two games.

Although the upcoming match may not hold much significance for the Indian team, it is crucial for Sri Lanka as they aim to avoid a series whitewash. This presents the Sri Lankan team with an opportunity to restore some pride by securing a win in this concluding encounter.
vTrk6tC.png

Squads:

India
Squad: Yashasvi Jaiswal, Sanju Samson, Suryakumar Yadav(c), Rishabh Pant(w), Hardik Pandya, Riyan Parag, Rinku Singh, Axar Patel, Arshdeep Singh, Ravi Bishnoi, Mohammed Siraj, Washington Sundar, Khaleel Ahmed, Shivam Dube, Shubman Gill

Sri Lanka Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Mendis(w), Kusal Perera, Kamindu Mendis, Charith Asalanka(c), Dasun Shanaka, Wanindu Hasaranga, Ramesh Mendis, Maheesh Theekshana, Matheesha Pathirana, Asitha Fernando, Avishka Fernando, Dinesh Chandimal, Dunith Wellalage, Chamindu Wickramasinghe, Dilshan Madushanka

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.​

Wonder if Dube and Sundar will get chances. But to be fair, Dube and Washy have already played a few games in Zimbabwe.

Will Gautam bhai go for the kill ?
Not sure what is the point. This is the kind of series where you exhaustively test bench strength. DIfferent roles. India missed so many opportunities like this to test players. Can't be doing the same again.

In this day and age of IPL, testing bench strength is outdated.

IPL gives you an accurate, reliable metric of a player's T20 skill and mental chops. If you do well in IPL then international T20 is not a mystery anymore.

Not sure what is the point. This is the kind of series where you exhaustively test bench strength. DIfferent roles. India missed so many opportunities like this to test players. Can't be doing the same again.

That’s true but Sri Lanka have proven that they’re not a joke team like Bangladesh or Pakistan. They actually have good pieces themselves and are on the verge of unlocking the secrets to Asian greatness once again.

Sri Lanka has been awful this series. They have always thrown in the towel within touching distance of victory.

Sri Lanka has been awful this series. They have always thrown in the towel within touching distance of victory.
Sri Lanka is playing good cricket but they are playing against world champion who are unbeatable at this moments .

India has lost only one T20 match this year .

They aren't awful at all. They have played well. Just against a much better side.
Yea .this Srilanka team is very good .

They have good batting bowling is huge improvement as they have Pathirana , Madushanka, Chameera , Thushara and Hasranga.

Yea .this Srilanka team is very good .

They have good batting bowling is huge improvement as they have Pathirana , Madushanka, Chameera , Thushara and Hasranga.

This SL team (these same guys) lost 1-2 in an ODI series in Bangladesh. Also, failed to make it to CT 2025 and World T20 Super 8.

I would say they are inconsistent.

This SL team (these same guys) lost 1-2 in an ODI series in Bangladesh. Also, failed to make it to CT 2025 and World T20 Super 8.

I would say they are inconsistent.
Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024.

Lanka won T20 series 2-1

Lanka lost odi series 1-2

Lanka won test series 2-0.

Pathirana, chameera, tushara were not played that odi series.

They are now formidable team post 2023 world cup ..

Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024.

Lanka won T20 series 2-1

Lanka lost odi series 1-2

Lanka won test series 2-0.

Pathirana, chameera, tushara were not played that odi series.

They are now formidable team post 2023 world cup ..

SL failed to make it to CT 2025 and World T20 Super 8.

A good team wouldn't fail at both.

They are an inconsistent team.

SL failed to make it to CT 2025 and World T20 Super 8.

A good team wouldn't fail at both.

They are an inconsistent team.
They were not great before 2023 world cup which was the qualification period for CT .

They are now good team.

Btw before world T20 Bangladesh were lost a T20 series against USA.

They were not great before 2023 world cup which was the qualification period for CT .

They are now good team.

LOL. How did they suddenly become a good team? What did they do? Did they consume Whey protein powder?

Please learn about the CT 2025 qualification process. I don't think you know. Those who finished 1-8 in 2023 WC qualified for CT 2025. SL finished 9th.

LOL. How did they suddenly become a good team? What did they do? Did they consume Whey protein powder?
Like Bangladesh as before Wt20 they lost to t20 series against 20th rank team in the world .

Btw when is bangladesh play next series against Sri Lanka then you will get your answer .

Like Bangladesh as before Wt20 they lost to t20 series against 20th rank team in the world .

Btw when is bangladesh play next series against Sri Lanka then you will get your answer .

I got my answer last World T20. BD beat them with an over to spare and eventually knocked them out.

So your logic USA is better team than Pakistan becouse they knocked them out. :kp

BD beat SL not just in World T20 but also in ODI WC. BD also beat them in ODI series.

In white ball cricket, BD are currently better than SL.

Currently india is way better than rest of Asian teams .

India
Daylight

Afghanistan
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

Currently india is way better than rest of Asian teams .

India
Daylight

Afghanistan
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

India.
Pakistan.
Afghanistan.
Bangladesh.
SL.

That is the order based on how things have transpired in the past 2 years.

India.
Pakistan.
Afghanistan.
Bangladesh.
SL.

That is the order based on how things have transpired in the past 2 years.
As you already said Bangladesh beat Lanka in both odi and T20 world cup .so they are better ok fine .

So Afghanistan did beat Pakistan in ICC world cup and Win against Bangladesh in T20 world cup.

So Afghanistan is rightly second behind india in limited over cricket.

India are reliant on Bumrah, Kohli, and Rohit. Once these 3 retire, I expect India to come back to ground.

I don't know what this petty argument is about regarding Bangladesh but Sri Lanka have been a nice test for India without our two best bowlers and post the retirement of two of our best batters. Perfect series to establish our future pecking orders.

Of course we're going to rest Hardik and at least one of Arshdeep/Siraj but beyond that every reason to play hard and try and win the series. Each and everyone of those players except Surya (who's a chilled out dude anyway) is motivated to perform and prove themselves for a place in the team.

India without those 3 players will easily beat every team except Australia.
India will be stronger than the unit as India won't be playing one-dimensional players up the order. I expect guys like Paragh to slip into one day set up. He can easily replace Jadeja. Indian batting will be longer, stronger with variety of bowling options. Can't wait for all the oldies to disappear from LOI scene. Also keep Rahul away as far as possible.

Bumrah will be surely missed but i think India does have replacement of Virat and Rohit Sharma .
Complete B string India beat South africa's full strenght team when Indian main team was away for world T20, 2022 tour. Iyer, Samson, Kishan all blitzed them apart.

I don't think so.

Let's see.

SA would've probably won last World T20 had it not been for Bumrah.
Unlikely but whatever. We have 5 years of Bumrah left. Let's discuss the future of Indian cricket after we've thrashed all teams for the next 5 years at least.

Unlikely but whatever. We have 5 years of Bumrah left. Let's discuss the future of Indian cricket after we've thrashed all teams for the next 5 years at least.

India couldn't thrash all teams when they were at their peak. They failed to win Test series in England, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Don't expect them to be better in the next 5 years. Kohli and Rohit are done almost.

What kind of lollu logic is that as if India is the only team that will be losing players due to age. INdia's bench strength is significantly superior to any other team. Kane williamson will be playing at peak till 100 years?

India couldn't thrash all teams when they were at their peak. They failed to win Test series in England, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Don't expect them to be better in the next 5 years. Kohli and Rohit are done almost.
I know it's very painful for you and hurts deeply but like I tell my 8 year old daughter, sometimes you've just got to learn to accept reality. This below is ourrecord across all formats across al teams in the last 5 years. Not denying we've lost the odd game but which team don't we have a winning record against?

By opposition team
TeamSpanMatWonDescendingLostTiedDrawNRW/LAveRPOInnsHSLS
v West Indies2019-2023382970114.14238.205.4640438138investigate this query
v Australia2020-20243520130201.53833.074.544257136investigate this query
v England2021-20243120100102.00032.643.994347778investigate this query
v Sri Lanka2020-2024262050014.00037.416.4926574213investigate this query
v South Africa2019-20243217140011.21432.834.9738601131investigate this query
v New Zealand2020-2023301593121.66632.174.9035397124investigate this query
v Bangladesh2019-2024151140002.75039.404.9317493186investigate this query
v Afghanistan2021-2024860101-54.619.587273-investigate this query
v Pakistan2021-20248520012.50031.466.898356119investigate this query

I know it's very painful for you and hurts deeply but like I tell my 8 year old daughter, sometimes you've just got to learn to accept reality. This below is ourrecord across all formats across al teams in the last 5 years. Not denying we've lost the odd game but which team don't we have a winning record against?

By opposition team
TeamSpanMatWonDescendingLostTiedDrawNRW/LAveRPOInnsHSLS
v West Indies2019-2023382970114.14238.205.4640438138investigate this query
v Australia2020-20243520130201.53833.074.544257136investigate this query
v England2021-20243120100102.00032.643.994347778investigate this query
v Sri Lanka2020-2024262050014.00037.416.4926574213investigate this query
v South Africa2019-20243217140011.21432.834.9738601131investigate this query
v New Zealand2020-2023301593121.66632.174.9035397124investigate this query
v Bangladesh2019-2024151140002.75039.404.9317493186investigate this query
v Afghanistan2021-2024860101-54.619.587273-investigate this query
v Pakistan2021-20248520012.50031.466.898356119investigate this query

You can post meaningless stats. But, it doesn't change the fact India failed to win Test series in England, South Africa, and New Zealand.

So, they technically didn't thrash all teams. Thrashing would mean winning everywhere (like the Aussie ATG team used to do).

You can post meaningless stats. But, it doesn't change the fact India failed to win Test series in England, South Africa, and New Zealand.

So, they technically didn't thrash all teams. Thrashing would mean winning everywhere (like the Aussie ATG team used to do).
Ah so you're saying India is the best team in world cricket but they're not yet one of the top 2-3 All-time great teams. I think I agree. We need to beat England in England and maybe win the ODI world cup again to try for that status.

Is Angelo Matthews done with T20s? They need a middle order power hitter. Someone they can rely on. All the guys are massive hit or miss. This Shanaka plays one good innings every 10 or 15 matches.

Is Angelo Matthews done with T20s? They need a middle order power hitter. Someone they can rely on. All the guys are massive hit or miss. This Shanaka plays one good innings every 10 or 15 matches.
From what I can see, they don't have a middle order at all. They seem to go from the top 3 straight to a couple of valiant hits by the tail.

From what I can see, they don't have a middle order at all. They seem to go from the top 3 straight to a couple of valiant hits by the tail.
They are somewhat like pakistan. Load the MO with all rounders who can hack hoping one of them will click. But against good attack odds of all of them failing is high. Bit harsh to call Asalanka a hack. But he has to redefine his role. Dhananjaya De silva is probably good fit for ODIs. But in order to solidifiy their middle order they can have him.

India are reliant on Bumrah, Kohli, and Rohit. Once these 3 retire, I expect India to come back to ground.
Have you seen Jaiswal? Abhishek? Gill?

Bumrah would be hard to replace. But it wouldn't be Pak or Bangla level bad.

Have you seen Jaiswal? Abhishek? Gill?

Bumrah would be hard to replace. But it wouldn't be Pak or Bangla level bad.

Only Jaiswal is good.

Abhishek is untested. IPL is not real cricket. Scoring a century against Zimbabwe is not difficult.

Gill is average. Not like Kohli or Rohit.

It could be a wash out. Meanwhile Kushal mendis has lost his ODI captaincy to Asalanka
Sri Lankan groundsmen are legendary at getting the ground ready after a drizzle. We'll probably get something even if it's a truncated game.

Wish they had kept Ruturaj for the series. Last december he made 123 in 57 balls against Australia. Then 77(47) and 49(28) against zimbabwe left out of the squad for no reason.

Sai Sudarshan is not a T20 player yet. But played brilliantly in tough SA conditions. He averaged 63 in that ODI series.

Many fans( sic) assuming or perhaps hoping that once Kohli and Rohit retire , India will transition into a phase where they will struggle to win. However looking at Jaiswal, Abhishek, Gill, Rinku, Parag , Reddy, Sai sudarshan, Dhurel and few others, I am not sure those wishes of some fans(lol) will come true.
Yes Bumrah is one player that will be difficult to replace but by the time he ends his career, he will have inspired many kids to take up bowling like him and eventually a replacement will come up, so the bowling will only improve.

Sri Lankan groundsmen are legendary at getting the ground ready after a drizzle. We'll probably get something even if it's a truncated game.
yea.. There is commercial element even in a dead rubber. So they will want to get the match going.

Wish they had kept Ruturaj for the series. Last december he made 123 in 57 balls against Australia. Then 77(47) and 49(28) against zimbabwe left out of the squad for no reason.
Have you watched the live matches when Ritu was scored a hundred.

I watched and i can say 30 runs came in last over against Maxwell and 40 od runs came against Hardie .

That's why sometimes stats are misleading .

He is very slow starter so difficult to Play him in T20 cricket .

Have you watched the live matches when Ritu was scored a hundred.

I watched and i can say 30 runs came in last over against Maxwell and 40 od runs came against Hardie .

That's why sometimes stats are misleading .

He is very slow starter so difficult to Play him in T20 cricket .
Gill is in similar mould as well. He was forced here by Ganguly. They have to force these guys. Kishan did that as well. Rohit sharma did that for a very long time eventually broke the shell in twilight of his career.

Gill is in similar mould as well. He was forced here by Ganguly. They have to force these guys. Kishan did that as well. Rohit sharma did that for a very long time eventually broke the shell in twilight of his career.
Gill is better versatile Player than Ritu

BCCI is looking for future all formats captain post champion trophy .

Gill is already BCCI choice for all formats captain and he is rightly deserve so it's very hard for ritu to find a place right now .

Gill is next poster boy for BCCI after Virat Kohli .

I think the India team has always felt comfortable having an accumulator i.e. someone who scores at a good pace without all out aggression and does it with 'cricket shots' not innovative T20 innovations. Kohli played the role for ages. I think I would trust Gill with it given what I've seen from him over Ruturaj. I just think we should drop him to 3 and let a couple of allout hitters start us off.

Gill is better versatile Player than Ritu

BCCI is looking for future all formats captain post champion trophy .

Gill is already BCCI choice for all formats captain and he is rightly deserve so it's very hard for ritu to find a place right now .

Gill is next poster boy for BCCI after Virat Kohli .
Not in T20. In T20 Ruturaj is way more dominant against spniners than Gill.

Ruturaj should take up keeping. This Pant experiment is going nowhere. He is a great Test player. Don't want him to lose his form there as well because of this.

4 players (Pandya Pant Axar Arshdeep) rested today. This is almost Ind B team. Great chance for SL to secure a consolation win.

Toss and Team Update

Sri Lanka have won the toss and opted to bowl first

India (Playing XI) - Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Suryakumar Yadav (C), Sanju Samson (WK), Riyan Parag, Shivam Dube, Rinku Singh, Washington Sundar, Ravi Bishnoi, Khaleel Ahmed, Mohammed Siraj.

ri Lanka (Playing XI) - Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Mendis (WK), Kusal Perera, Kamindu Mendis, Charith Asalanka (C), Chamindu Wickramasinghe, Wanindu Hasaranga, Ramesh Mendis, Maheesh Theekshana, Matheesha Pathirana, Asitha Fernando.

Why is hardik rested. He is not going to Play odi series and next he will Play in October against Bangladesh

Why is hardik rested. He is not going to Play odi series and next he will Play in October against Bangladesh
He's barely been interested in this tournament and gone through the motions. Let him go home. He did his job in helping us win the World Cup. Deserves to take it easy just like Bumrah is.

He's barely been interested in this tournament and gone through the motions. Let him go home. He did his job in helping us win the World Cup. Deserves to take it easy just like Bumrah is.
Bumrah rest is understandable as he will play a lot test cricket in coming months but Pandya will only Play 3 odi and few T20 before champion trophy .so this rest is not acceptable .

Bumrah rest is understandable as he will play a lot test cricket in coming months but Pandya will only Play 3 odi and few T20 before champion trophy .so this rest is not acceptable .
It is absolutely acceptable. He is injury prone and needs to manage his workload carefully.

I don't particularly like the guy either but he's a different personality. Highly emotional, fragile body...can give you peak performances but also look utterly disinterested. You've got to manage these types differently - a lot of arm around the shoulder and the occasional (very occasional) boot up the ass.

This silly game is not the time to be showing him the importance of "parampara, prathistha and anushasan" (had to google that). He's already in a bad place in his personal life. Let him chill and rejuvenate. We'll pull him out of cryofreeze when we need him.

What the hell is sanju doing?

Get rid of selfish player like him .

Gone for four ball duck .

Timid mentally shot player

You also said Australia will knock India out of World T20 even when we had those 3 players.
The moment Ind won the WT20, he said T20 is a micky mouse format whose result should not be taken seriously by anyone. Thereafter, periodically he keeps admitting how much he is hurt as SA couldn't win the T20 title from winning position. And also went on to label A Russel as a T20 GOAT (same format which was NOT supposed to be taken seriously).

Samson low on confidence with inconsistent selection. But he has no choice but to deliver every time he gets a chance. Succumbed to a debutant.

The moment Ind won the WT20, he said T20 is a micky mouse format whose result should not be taken seriously by anyone. Thereafter, periodically he keeps admitting how much he is hurt as SA couldn't win the T20 title from winning position. And also went on to label A Russel as a T20 GOAT (same format which was NOT supposed to be taken seriously).
High time stop expecting validation from everyone. Stop engaging.

Yet he considers U-19 WC win by BD worth mentioning on sporting achievements

Enough chance given now .

Good bye Sanju .now never ever complain
Not given chances in Test arena, needs to be tried there :p. One of the most frusturating batters to come out of IPL- I guess he is Grame Hick and Mark Ramprakash of Indian cricket.

Back