India [144/3] beat Sri Lanka [142/9] by 7 wickets in 2nd T20I to take 1-0 lead in 3-match series

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
After the washout in Guwahati, India and Sri Lanka will attempt to go again, in the second T20I in Indore on Tuesday, 7 January.

Overview

India v Sri Lanka, 2nd T20I
Holkar Stadium, Indore
Tuesday, 7 January; 07:00pm local, 01.30pm GMT

Nothing about the abandonment would have drastically changed anything either side expects from this series, though. With the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 looming larger, the focus is, as ever, the focus will continue to be on ironing out the flaws and figuring out approaches.

To that end, India will again keep a close eye on the performances of Shikhar Dhawan and Jasprit Bumrah, among others. Dhawan is battling for a spot in the XI, with Rohit Sharma rested and KL Rahul impressing, while Bumrah is set to make his comeback after a long spell spent on the sidelines with injury.

Sri Lanka, who have been inconsistent lately, securing an impressive series win in Pakistan and then being swept in Australia, also have experimentation on the agenda. It was telling that in the XI they named in Guwahati – the skies opened up after toss – there was no place for Angelo Mathews, the veteran who was recalled to the squad.

For all the planning for the World Cup, both teams will also be acutely aware that, this being the second T20I of a three-match series, a victory can ensure an unassailable 1-0 lead.

Remember the last time

The teams last faced each other (not counting the washout in Guwahati) in the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019, when India secured a comfortable seven-wicket win in their chase of 265. Mathews scored a fine 113, but was outshone by KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma, both of whom registered centuries.

As for T20Is, the teams last played each other in a tri-series match in March 2018, with an inexperienced Indian side securing a six-wicket chase of 153. At the time, Shardul Thakur took 4/27 to help restrain Sri Lanka.

Conditions

Indore will have pleasant conditions, ranging around 20°C, although expect a nip in the air as the match progresses into the night. There were plenty of runs on offer in the last – and only – T20I played at this venue, between India and Sri Lanka incidentally, in 2017, when India posted 260/5 and kept Sri Lanka to 172.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1562599

India have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Danushka Gunathilaka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Perera(w), Oshada Fernando, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dasun Shanaka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Isuru Udana, Wanindu Hasaranga, Lahiru Kumara, Lasith Malinga(c)

India (Playing XI): Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Virat Kohli(c), Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant(w), Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Navdeep Saini, Jasprit Bumrah

Kohli keeps winning Toss against teams like Westindies, srilanka at home in meaningless t20 games but never win in England , South Africa in test series when it matters!!!

Bumrah has sized up the pitch immediately. Bowling quickly here is waste of energy. 146, 119, 119

This looks like a belter of a o wicket.

I hope SL scores 200 to stretch our batting lineup.

Saini 146k. I think he has to develop fitness to sustain this pace in one dayers as well. In T20 he always bowls quicker than in the one dayers.

Saini needs to learn from Bumrah how to vary the pace. He apparently has no variations. Will be thrashed on Aussie Wickets.

Perhaps we need someone who could bowl fast relentlessly like like Ferguson, We have Bumrah, bhuvi, Shami for variations. Saini already has pretty damn decent control from what I have seen.

Perhaps we need someone who could bowl fast relentlessly like like Ferguson, We have Bumrah, bhuvi, Shami for variations. Saini already has pretty damn decent control from what I have seen.

Pace is pace. SUre one or two balls will go for fours from time to time. But they can always produce rippers. But he needs to develop his core.

This is incredible speed from Saini, 152.2k!! I can now die in peace!!

This is such a flat deck. SL must be disappointed at the score now. No power like West Indian power hitters.

The magician wrist spinner kuldeep yadav is welcomed with a six on his first ball!

This is such a flat deck. SL must be disappointed at the score now. No power like West Indian power hitters.

They are struggling to connect the ball against Saini, too fast, too accurate. This is why you develop bowlers in the domestics before easing them into internationals, raw, undercooked bowlers are good for generating ahaas and oohhoos, and that's about it.

SL 91/3 (13.0) CRR: 7
India opt to bowl

Pretty slow by T20 standards

Since Jayasuriya, Dilshan they haven't found a consistently strong hitter in shorter version. Apart from occasional cameos from Tisera perera they are a bit more conventional. That includes Sanga and Mahela.

Bumrah apart from a few half vollies is still having his "smarts" intact. Terrific slower one.

lol There is not a match goes by where Indians don't drop a catch. Kohli puts down one in the slip.

Bumrah had a bad day by his standard, totally expect him to come back all gun blazing next game.

Serious pace from Indian fast-bowlers!

Capture.JPG

Mickey Arthur looks like he wants to go back to hotel lol

ENsCBrjU4AYD0yi

And in his Pakistan days..

ENTGWq5XYAAn61j

Last edited:
^ Mickey will have so many forgetful days with the current SL team. Despite their Test series win in SA, they have not really gone anywhere. They still rely on their old timer Malinga.

I am tuning in just for bumrah and saini.

I already know saini is a good bowler in t20 and test cricket too. He is no slouch in odi either.

People will be surprised.

jasprit bowled poor by his standards however he is a bit rusty. It's understandable.

^ Mickey will have so many forgetful days with the current SL team. Despite their Test series win in SA, they have not really gone anywhere. They still rely on their old timer Malinga.

how did bumrah go today? I really hope he worked on strength and conditioning. His physique concerns me. He may have a strong core but he needs a little bit of mass to make sure he doesn't get injured again.

It is astonishing how a player like KL Rahul with such wide range of classy strokes at his disposal is not getting a consistent run even in this format. Even here he is one poor match away from being pushed down the pecking order.

how did bumrah go today? I really hope he worked on strength and conditioning. His physique concerns me. He may have a strong core but he needs a little bit of mass to make sure he doesn't get injured again.

Mixed bag. Let me put this way. He bowled more bad balls today then he would normally do in an entire series. 4 half vollies . All went for 4s. In the slot. His slower balls didn't let him down. His short of a length ball didn't let him down either. He didn't attempt many fast yorkers. May be it will take some time.

Mixed bag. Let me put this way. He bowled more bad balls today then he would normally do in an entire series. 4 half vollies . All went for 4s. In the slot. His slower balls didn't let him down. His short of a length ball didn't let him down either. He didn't attempt many fast yorkers. May be it will take some time.

I am sure the indian board will take good care of him. I hope they do because he is precious. Without him we can't beat australia in australia. We need him at his best.

IF kL continue this form in t20s he can really give babar a run for his money in t20s and we can see new rivalry coming up :)

Such beautiful shots by KL Rahul against Raw pace. Dhawan is absolutely no match for KL Rahul in T20. It is not even a debate who should open in the world T20.

Dhawan proving once more how misfit he is in T20s....

According to Manjrekar "Rahul is breathing down Dhawan's neck" lol It is almost as if Dhawan is the preferred choice and KL Rahul is his competition. Actually it is the other way around.

Lol, even SL doesn't want to get Dhawan out.

Hope Sundar is given a chance to bat up the order.

Kaptaan should rest. Who is our 3rd captain (or vice captain in this match)? Bumrah or Dhawan probably.

Hasaranga to Rahul, out Bowled!! Rahul b Hasaranga 45(32) [4s-6]

Back