India [234/3] beat Australia [230] by 7 wickets in the third ODI to win the ODI series 2-1

You will not understand as you support a team with no cricketing legacy - no world cups to show, no big moments. Fans of elite teams want the absolute best. Nothing less. And Dhoni isn't the absolute best "for us" at this point.
If we had half the resources you had, I can assure you we wouldn't just have the 2 WCs. You've underperformed with all the advantages you have over every other country - you have the money and talent pool but are behind Aus and WI in terms of success.

This is the reason. It is too less frequent to remember. That was 2 years ago
Dhoni bats down the order and has a batting line up of Rohit, Dhawan and Kohli, it's difficult for him to be the stand out performer often.

It's not his job to be the stand out performer either, he's a support player. As long as he's scoring 50s and finishing games, he's doing his job.

Last edited:
Dhoni bats down the order and has a batting line up of Rohit, Dhawan and Kohli, it's difficult for him to be the stand out performer often.

It's not his job to be the stand out performer either, he's a support player.

No need to be stand out. Performance that has positive effect

No need to be stand out. Performance that has positive effect
As long as he's scoring runs and winning matches, is it not positive? Last match he saw India home and is keeping India in the game today.

If we had half the resources you had, I can assure you we wouldn't just have the 2 WCs. You've underperformed with all the advantages you have over every other country - you have the money and talent pool but are behind Aus and WI in terms of success.

Could've, would've, should've, once again. Sadly, that's all you've got.

Any way, that's not even my point. All I am saying is that it seems like its difficult for you to comprehend our plight at seeing Dhoni in the team. It stems from the fact that there are high expectations from India. For NZ, getting into a semi final is their biggest achievement in the game, something elite teams can any way do without breaking a sweat. Hence expectations are low from their players. Don't take it to heart.

As long as he's scoring runs and winning matches, is it not positive? Last match he saw India home and is keeping India in the game today.

He is not having a say in winning matches. He need somebody to accelerate at the other end. It is not the norm nowadays just to occupy the crease and score. I believe you advocate against Kane exactly for that. So why this hypocrisy?

Could've, would've, should've, once again. Sadly, that's all you've got.

Any way, that's not even my point. All I am saying is that it seems like its difficult for you to comprehend our plight at seeing Dhoni in the team. It stems from the fact that there are high expectations from India. For NZ, getting into a semi final is their biggest achievement in the game, something elite teams can any way do without breaking a sweat. Hence expectations are low from their players. Don't take it to heart.
Well either way, making a SF would be an accomplishment for India - with or without Dhoni.

You've gone life and death with a Aus team missing their two best batsmen and a lot of their first string bowlers.

He is not having a say in winning matches. He need somebody to accelerate at the other end. It is not the norm nowadays just to occupy the crease and score. I believe you advocate against Kane exactly for that. So why this hypocrisy?
That's for T20s.

ODI's I'm fine with him and Taylor providing a platform and allowing the others the freedom to hit/play their natural game.

Can't remember against who think it may have been SL/Aus when India had a comically low score and Dhoni got them to some respectability. I remember commenting in the match thread for it. Think India still lost but he was great in that match.

I got it but as said, in the context of the game, that inning had no mean and it was perfectly suited for him, no run-scoring pressure, bowlers not trying any hard as they know damage has been done and pitch eases out as well.

Today is arguably the best he is playing in perhaps last two-three years(that again because he doesn't have to deal with quick scoring pressure)and his first standout performance with bat in last few years but you should understand that India have decent enough batting resources benched who can definitely chase 230 on a flat wicket but can also hit some quick-fire runs when the need of hour is to maximize on the platform laid by top order.

I mean, Pant, is one guy the way he played in that final test in Australia, you think he doesn't deserves to be in LO squad? He is perfectly suited to 5 or 6.

Well either way, making a SF would be an accomplishment for India - with or without Dhoni.

You've gone life and death with a Aus team missing their two best batsmen and a lot of their first string bowlers.

India were closely tied with England with a W% around 70% in 2018, and won 5-1 in SA. India and England are guaranteed to qualify for the semis, regardless of what you think based on this series.

That's for T20s.

ODI's I'm fine with him and Taylor providing a platform and allowing the others the freedom to hit/play their natural game.

Todays matches are like extended T20s. Teams like Eng, NZ play like that. So Dhoni won't be suitable for that unless for specific situations like this low scoring. Nobody is denying his strength of mind, but his runs are having less impact these days. You won't see any Indian bashing Dhoni of 3 years ago. Then why troll here about WC 2011 win??

We are ranked 2 ODI side and been a top 2 side for years now, so no, getting into the SF won't be an achievement.

It's truly sad when sanju manju is the only guy talking some sense, shoni is a hack who has gotten too old, he isn't taking the game deep and he definitely isn't playing to get more match practice.

Run rate almost reaching 9, and Dhoni plays out 5 dots and a single to farm the strike.

Dhoni embarrassing himself again, putting pressure on the non striker. He would have lost the last game if it weren't for Dinesh.

Anything less than a final would be a disappointment, we aren't NZ SF especially with this team would be a disappointment.

lol, so no letting on your whinges, carry on....

Even if we somehow win this series, it'd do us more harm than good.

To his credit, Kedar played ok today. I have been critical of him, but he played ok in the first outing. India cannot lose from here.

Grandpa always takes the (easy)match to the wire to make it interesting.

Anything less than a final would be a disappointment, we aren't NZ SF especially with this team would be a disappointment.
Prepare yourself for disappointment then.

Your middle order is weak and doesn't have the gears to score quick, that's not all on Dhoni either. Too late to change it now.

Only way you make it is if your top 3 do all the scoring or if you face England and they choke.

Last edited:
Make a "Dhoni is the best cricketer ever" thread and watch the trolls swarming that with a 180° U turn.

If India wins this, it'll be due to Jadhav. But like everytime, Dhoni will be hailed as messiah.

Your middle order is weak and one dimensional, that's not all on Dhoni either. Too late to change it now.
It won't matter who 4 and 5 are, the top 3 will win most games on their own given we will get batting pitches and in pandya and jadhav we have decent finishers, 2 leggies and bumrah means we have better bowlers than most teams, we will make semis without breaking sweat.

Last edited:

Your middle order is weak and doesn't have the gears to score quick, that's not all on Dhoni either. Too late to change it now.

Only way you make it is if your top 3 do all the scoring or if you face England and they choke.

Dhoni is not a problem.

Middle order including Dhoni is weak and is a problem.

The above 2 are your opinions.
Quite contradicting when you oppose people advocating changing the part of a problem, that is Dhoni

Siddlol. Bowling full tosses down leg side when there's a field set for short balls. OTOH why won't the comms get their head out of dhonis ***. We should be winning this comfortably but thanks to him this will.go down to the wire.

90% of commenentory is about Dhoni now. Poor Jadhav

It s either singing paens about dhoni or kohli depending on who is batting. Clarke quite rightly said that kohli won't be happy we need 44 from 30 balls considering only 3 wickets are down but apparently coz dhoni is batting he will be calm and know that we will get home.:vk2

It s either singing paens about dhoni or kohli depending on who is batting. Clarke quite rightly said that kohli won't be happy we need 44 from 30 balls considering only 3 wickets are down but apparently coz dhoni is batting he will be calm and know that we will get home.:vk2

They don't want to be direct but they are bringing up the topic again and again. Can't do more than this.

If Aussies had taken the caught behind review, we won't be talking about this nonsense now

Dhoni dropped. Now see the trolls coming back to thread to say India has been so lucky today.

Probably the worst Aussie fielding side ive seen. Far cry from the days of ponting, Symonds, Clarke etc.

India will win this

Medium pacer and siddle. Don't expect much

Even Tendulkar didn't have that kinda influence. At least he remained largely good for India, unlike Dhoni.
Are you surprised, this guy kept his captaincy on back of politicking gets selectors sacked before himself and then ran away tail between his legs mid tour once he saw the writing on the wall and no srini to save him this time.

Last edited:
Jadhav has been sensational today. Despite not playing any int'l cricket for months now, he has batted with great purpose.

Are you surprised this guy kept his captaincy on back of politicking gets selectors sacked before himself and then ran away tail between his legs mis tour once he saw the writing on the wall and no srini to save him this time.
Yeah.

Dhoni has all the makings of a politician. Should be good career choice for him.

I know Stonnis is mentally strong and wants to bowl in the death over. The guy is limited as hell. He should be used in the middle overs

I know Dhoni will get all the credit, but its Jadhav who has got us here, 14 off last 2 overs.

India cant even chase 231 easily against Aus D side.

If not for rain gods - series score lines would have been

2-1(T20I’s)
3-1(Tests)
2-1(ODI’s) for India.

Brilliant chase by India. Gave opposition a whiff of false hope and then cruelly pummeling them down

Siddle has to be one of the most brainless odi bowlers I have watched.

They need Starc, Hazzlwood and Cummins to be back in the team. Zampa deserves to be ahead of lyon

Jadhav has won me over. If only he could improve his fitness.

They need Starc, Hazzlwood and Cummins to be back in the team. Zampa deserves to be ahead of lyon

No idea why he and Lyon were selected in the first place. Both are far away from being white ball cricketers.

Now that it is more or less sealed, see Dhoni coming into his own.

That bowling attack will not do better than what their current attack is doing, people really overrate the Aussie quicks and Smith in LoI's they are average cricketers in odi.

That bowling attack will not do better than what their current attack is doing, people really overrate the Aussie quicks and Smith in LoI's they are average cricketers in odi.
That exact team was thrashed badly by Eng team last year. However, whatever is not available to you, suddenly looks good.

Back