India v Australia | 1st Test - Day 2| Bangalore | 9/10/08

Cricindia calls Ishant Sharma fast

Then calls Mitchell Johnson fast medium :))) :)))

Some more bias with your bias?

Caved12 said:
Hi Savak, What do you think? Is Akhtar gonna be able to bowl 150+ tomorrow?

Lets see. My observation of Akhtar is simple. I dont see him cutting down his pace. Its an ego, self satisfaction thing. He keeps a bench mark. He must hit 155 km/hr. He said it once in an interview "I need to do that to remind myself i am there, i am great e.t.c".

People could criticize him for it and others can praise him for it. But Akhtar is not just about pace anymore, on song he knows how to get batters out through various variations.

Right now, hes been out of cricket for a long time, and i wasnt to thrilled look at his Elephant physique. But lets see, he should have no excuses to slow down, he hasnt played enough cricket to be burnt out. I think he should touch 147-148 km/hr maximum and with more match practice we will see him get upto 155 km/hr.

lollol said:
btw @ C. White, just heard one of the commentators say that he bowled only 80 overs in the last season takin only 8 wkts?????

Yeah that would be about right. He is the captain and a good judge :D

The Victorian spinner was Bryce McGain though who is a much better bowler than White (and would be playing this game if not injured)

Line and length bowlers will probably be more effective on this type of wicket. Lee has got substantially "slower" it is the natural evolution of a human being. Pollock was "quite quick" when he started. later he developed into the "attrition" bowler whereby he bacme very potent, similarly to mcgrath.

Random Aussie said:
The improvement in Brett Lee over the past year has been because he has cut down his pace. Not very Pakistani I know :D

But the old Brett Lee who bowled 150kph rubbish is hopefully gone forever.

I am all for that, A bowler should always understand his limits, but Lee is still fit enough to bowl that fast and btw he picked a lot of wickets with that 150km/h rubbish speed :D

Random Aussie said:
Cricindia calls Ishant Sharma fast

Then calls Mitchell Johnson fast medium :))) :)))

Some more bias with your bias?
Indeed, was just going to say :))

But i think he used to be called left-fast, didnt he??

He, just like Sharma is the type of bowler like those Englishmen: broad, anderson etc. Or even Gul :gul

Random Aussie said:
Yeah that would be about right. He is the captain and a good judge :D

The Victorian spinner was Bryce McGain though who is a much better bowler than White (and would be playing this game if not injured)
Its gonna be difficult to get 20 wkts then i think....

Random Aussie said:
The improvement in Brett Lee over the past year has been because he has cut down his pace. Not very Pakistani I know :D

But the old Brett Lee who bowled 150kph rubbish is hopefully gone forever.

Random Aussie, my personal belief is that an express bowler like Lee, Akhtar, even Tait can afford to slow down a touch for line and length in supportive conditions for bouncy pitches in Australia,South Africa, New Zealand, seaming pitches in England but this tactic will not work on totally flat tracks like the one's in the subcontinent.

As we see Lee was getting no where today, using the new ball is crucial on subcontinent pitches but Lee didnt make the most of it. He should have raced in and bowled at 152-153 km/hr. He is going to have to do this. Reverseswing will be crucial as well. This was my biggest fear about Lee, fast bowling in the subcontinent is the real deal. Lee has to prove himself on these wickets for me to really rate him.

lollol said:
Indeed, was just going to say :))

But i think he used to be called left-fast, didnt he??

He, just like Sharma is the type of bowler like those Englishmen: broad, anderson etc. Or even Gul :gul

MJ I would imagine is the quickest left arm bowler in the world at the moment. Hit 151 kph in his last match.

Stuart Clark now is bowling at the same speed Ishant Sharma bowled most of last innings.

Keith said:
Line and length bowlers will probably be more effective on this type of wicket. Lee has got substantially "slower" it is the natural evolution of a human being. Pollock was "quite quick" when he started. later he developed into the "attrition" bowler whereby he bacme very potent, similarly to mcgrath.

Lee hasnt slowed down. Its a psychological thing. He sees a flat pitch, becomes disheartened and is now disinclined to the line and length rubbish. It Australia were playing at home i am pretty certain we would see Lee hitting 153-154 km/hr atleast.

Lee hasnt slowed down. He has become a victim of this mentality that i strongly disagree with that you slow down on flat subcontinent wickets and bowl line and length. Pace, air speed is crucial on such wickets.

Savak said:
Random Aussie, my personal belief is that an express bowler like Lee, Akhtar, even Tait can afford to slow down a touch for line and length in supportive conditions for bouncy pitches in Australia,South Africa, New Zealand, seaming pitches in England but this tactic will not work on totally flat tracks like the one's in the subcontinent.

As we see Lee was getting no where today, using the new ball is crucial on subcontinent pitches but Lee didnt make the most of it. He should have raced in and bowled at 152-153 km/hr. He is going to have to do this. Reverseswing will be crucial as well. This was my biggest fear about Lee, fast bowling in the subcontinent is the real deal. Lee has to prove himself on these wickets for me to really rate him.

Yes I know your belief about bowling on flat tracks, one shared by a lot of Pakistan followers I imagine. I don't think Aussie bowling coach shares your belief though.

Now MJ getting beat up lol

Savak, I also feel that he will be easily going at the speed of 147 or 148, I just hope that he does not get injured and we get to watch him till the end of the tournament. :)

Savak said:

Remember this is his first game in India :)

Savak said:
Lee hasnt slowed down. Its a psychological thing. He sees a flat pitch, becomes disheartened and is now disinclined to the line and length rubbish. It Australia were playing at home i am pretty certain we would see Lee hitting 153-154 km/hr atleast.

Lee hasnt slowed down. He has become a victim of this mentality that i strongly disagree with that you slow down on flat subcontinent wickets and bowl line and length. Pace, air speed is crucial on such wickets.

Nope he don't bowl that fast anymore Savak, not consistently and not with control.

Good sportsmanship from Haddin telling the umpire the ball didn't carry.

Random Aussie said:
Yes I know your belief about bowling on flat tracks, one shared by a lot of Pakistan followers I imagine. I don't think Aussie bowling coach shares your belief though.

Now MJ getting beat up lol

I feel asking a bowler to deliberately slow down to keep the run rate in check is the worst thing you can do him. We did that to Mohammad Sami and we all saw what happened to him.

I think the Aussie's are making a serious mistake by asking Lee to bowl this line and length stuff. That is for Stuart Clarke to do. Lee and Mitchel Johnson should be used as attacking options. Spinners arent going to help Australia. Australia also need to make use of Reverse Swing. Tait would have been a god sent.

This is how it is to bowl on subcontinental patta wickets :p

lollol said:
What a nice action Johnson has :) Axcellant :younis

I think He has the most stylish and sexiest bowling action in the world. :younis

Last edited:
lollol said:
Remember this is his first game in India :)

Not really he played in the ICC CT in 2006. He played in the ODI's in 2007. Yes its his first test match in India but overall not his first game. Hes been in international cricket for 8 years and should have known what to expect.

Even in the CT in 2006, he bowled within himself, did a decent job, got break throughs but restricted himself to early 140 km/hr mark with the occasional late 140 km/hr ball. But in 2007 ODI's Lee was at his most dangerous when he was hitting 149-152 km/hr and he got wickets as well.

Random Aussie said:
Nope he don't bowl that fast anymore Savak, not consistently and not with control.

I saw him hit 153 km/hr in the IPL. He has not lost his ability to hit that pace. He can still do it. But why he doesnt do it in conditions that dont suit him i dont know.

Savak said:
I feel asking a bowler to deliberately slow down to keep the run rate in check is the worst thing you can do him. We did that to Mohammad Sami and we all saw what happened to him.

I think the Aussie's are making a serious mistake by asking Lee to bowl this line and length stuff. That is for Stuart Clarke to do. Lee and Mitchel Johnson should be used as attacking options. Spinners arent going to help Australia. Australia also need to make use of Reverse Swing. Tait would have been a god sent.

Savak you are approaching the idea coming from a background of watching :wasim and :younis and :akhtar and :imran , all bowlers who average 26 runs per wicket or less in Test cricket playing half their games on dead wickets and who all bowled very quickly but with accuracy and control.

Brett Lee barely averages under 30, has never bowled in a Test on the sub continent and when he bowls super quickly he bowls utter garbage (which was the case for his entire career before McGrath retired). He is rubbish if he does not concentrate on line and length.

Punter said:
What happened here?
Chacha though he found a gap, and wasnt really running for the first few meters, after that he realized that Clarke was running after the ball > underarm throw by Clarke missed, he wouldve been out if he'd hit...

Savak said:
I saw him hit 153 km/hr in the IPL. He has not lost his ability to hit that pace. He can still do it. But why he doesnt do it in conditions that dont suit him i dont know.
The test matches ive seen him recently, he was around ~90mph... :)

No doubt Cricindia will have Watson listed as medium but he again is bowling only slightly slower than Ishant "superfast" Sharma.

He is rubbish if he does not concentrate on line and length.

Like i said, line and length will work for Lee in Australia where the pitches will have some bounce atleast if not any swing or seam movement. But in India he is not even going to get that bounce let alone swing, seam movement. So what does he fall back on? Speed.

Yes he might go for runs if he bowls flat out but he also improves his chances of picking up wickets with the batters attacking him. But i hope he can reverse swing the ball. Reverse swing is going to be crucial. The Aussie plan of attack should be simple. Lee and Johnson will attack with speed and aggression. Clarke and Watson will keep things tight, hold up an end, dry up runs and if there is some movement in the pitch then they can be used as attacking options. Cameron White hmm, he is going to be murdered he needs the most encouragement and support from the Aussie team management and players.

alright guys, It has been fun. I will see you all in 20/20 threads later.
Chao

Johnson has been the quickest of the Aussie bowlers today, saw him reach 147 km/hr. He has gone for runs but he has also created a few wicket taking opportunities and has bowled with some purpose. A bowler racing in no matter what is a treat to watch always.

Savak said:
Johnson has been the quickest of the Aussie bowlers today, saw him reach 147 km/hr. He has gone for runs but he has also created a few wicket taking opportunities and has bowled with some purpose. A bowler racing in no matter what is a treat to watch always.
He is consistently bowling at express pace (i.e. ~90mph), but hey according to CI he is fast-medium when compared to the uberfast Sharm :D

Rain had stopped play!! :pissed:

Is this where i left home for?

It's just like the Lanka series, the Indian openers make a good start and the middle order will come out and dismantle their good work.

Muhammad said:
It's just like the Lanka series, the Indian openers make a good start and the middle order will come out and dismantle their good work.
The Lanka series had two great spinners on home tracks...

great knock from hussey and the aussies definitely ahead. Day 3 is the most important...if we can score 300 runs in the day we should be good. We need to get a lead of atleast 50 on this pitch, the pitch should be a minefield by Day 5

sehwag plays it so easily. what a player he is

i love watching these players like hayden, sehwag etc. they are just too good on their day.

Fell asleep as Hussey was nearing his ton. Good knock and we needed that. I think it's his first ton on the subcontinent too. Surely they should be able to defend 430.

OZGOD said:
Fell asleep as Hussey was nearing his ton. Good knock and we needed that. I think it's his first ton on the subcontinent too. Surely they should be able to defend 430.

I believe he scored one in Bangladesh in 2006, as far as I'm aware it was his only hundred outside OZ

Keith said:
Aussie to bat until about 1 hour before close? Put indians in and throw everything (except umpires!!) at them in an hour of hostile bowling? The perfect scenario for aussie? India 2/3 down by close of play trailing by more than 400 going into day 3?

No, that sounds more like SA team scorecard @ the end of a day's play when they play the Aussies.

maamrut said:
No, that sounds more like SA team scorecard @ the end of a day's play when they play the Aussies.

lol I think the good ol chocker supporter is just getting a bit frustrated, its ok we will let him be.. His team is just not good enough to beat Oz watch the series that will happen down under in a few months, chockers wont even draw a test match :)) ...

I hate losing to Australia: Harby

Link: http://sify.com/sports/cricket/fullstory.php?id=14774563

Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh says he hates to lose to Australia and so it cannot be a coincidence that the best of his performances are against those wearing the baggy green.

"I hate losing to Australia. I mean it can't be a coincidence that all my best performances have come against them," Harbhajan told a TV channel.

"It just perks me up whenever I play against them as they are the team to beat," he said.

Harbhajan, who has proven himself as the tormentor of the Aussies to earn the name 'Turbanator' disclosed he did not like such nicknames.

"I don't know but I never liked it. My name is Harbhajan Singh and I want to be addressed as Harbhajan Singh," he said.

Harbhajan is just a few wickets away from a haul of 300 Test victims but he said it did not really matter who his 300th batsman will be as long as it happens sooner than later.

"I am God's favourite son, he has given me all. I never thought I'd be able to reach this far in cricket but God will get me that 300th wicket I don't need to worry about it," he said.

bublubhuyan said:
Link: http://sify.com/sports/cricket/fullstory.php?id=14774563

Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh says he hates to lose to Australia and so it cannot be a coincidence that the best of his performances are against those wearing the baggy green.

"I hate losing to Australia. I mean it can't be a coincidence that all my best performances have come against them," Harbhajan told a TV channel.

"It just perks me up whenever I play against them as they are the team to beat," he said.

Harbhajan, who has proven himself as the tormentor of the Aussies to earn the name 'Turbanator' disclosed he did not like such nicknames.

"I don't know but I never liked it. My name is Harbhajan Singh and I want to be addressed as Harbhajan Singh," he said.

Harbhajan is just a few wickets away from a haul of 300 Test victims but he said it did not really matter who his 300th batsman will be as long as it happens sooner than later.

"I am God's favourite son, he has given me all. I never thought I'd be able to reach this far in cricket but God will get me that 300th wicket I don't need to worry about it," he said.

grrrr u better perform in the second innings boss we will need you.
On the other hand this and Mohali are most likely to be the most seamer friendly pitches u will see in this series.

Good solid start by india, they will be looking for a solid days batting and hope to be eating away at aussies 1st inns total.

all we need is one session of shewag entertainment ....we could get close to Aus totaly , by end of tomorrows play !

Yeah we are already scoring at close to 4 rpo..Aussies were very slow (RR of 2.8).Lets just hope they haven't a result impossible already!!

maamrut said:
Yeah we are already scoring at close to 4 rpo..Aussies were very slow (RR of 2.8).Lets just hope they haven't a result impossible already!!
I must admit that the only thing that worries me is the middle order even though there is no Mendis or Murali to torment the seniors ,however if you are willing to break your back like Zaheer or Ishant then the Aussie quicks might give us a run for our money..Enthralling contest in the next couple of days to come...

Back