India v England | 2nd Test - Day 2 | Mohali | 20/12/08

Another plumb LBW turned down by Harper in Swann's first over after tea.

Big Harvey said:
Another plumb LBW turned down by Harper in Swann's first over after tea.

I think that appeal was an after thought appeal. Not really a convincing one. When the bowler has initial doubts then umpire is not going to give that out.

IronMan2009 said:
I think that appeal was an after thought appeal. Not really a convincing one. When the bowler has initial doubts then umpire is not going to give that out.

How intense the appeal is should not matter - if there is an appeal the umpire has to rule out or not.

Hard for India to push the scoring rate now they are 5 down.

The YUVI :))) :)))

Gone to spin again, Monty gets him caught behind. Big wicket for England, they might keep India to 420 if they are lucky.

Random Aussie said:
How intense the appeal is should not matter - if there is an appeal the umpire has to rule out or not.

Hard for India to push the scoring rate now they are 5 down.

No sir.. If the bowler himself has initial doubts chances are umpire will have initial doubts. Even for me it didn't look out in real motion. Infact they didn't show hawk eye for that.

IronMan2009 said:
No sir.. If the bowler himself has initial doubts chances are umpire will have initial doubts.

Yes but I meant whether the bowler appeals quickly or slowly or loud or quietly should not affect the decision in a causative way.

But i like the way pitch is behaving. With two spinners and Yuvraj as stock spinner not bad.

IronMan2009 said:
Infact they didn't show hawk eye for that.

Hawkeye showed it hit the pad in line and was hitting the inside of leg stump.

Random Aussie said:
Or alternatively GG and Dravid just batted really well

But Dravid played an unDravid like shot. Not necessary. They gifted two wickets to Swann. They should have scored singles and put away occasional bad balls. That would have given them more than 53 runs without loss of many wickets.

You can't really blame the umpires.
They might not be used to judging spin :D

Pathetic decision by the umpire actually

Harbhajan gone. You've really gotta appreciate India's efforts for choking here

Sharma will be the next man in, bring a fast bowler in and make him bowl bouncers straight at Sharma. Then place a fielder right next to Sharma and there you go, a free wicket

Random Aussie said:
Poor batting effort in the end from India you have to say (GG/Dravid aside)

When you accelerate sometimes things can go haywire. Not the first time that is happening to a team. Credit should go to England's bowling. India had no option but to play risky shots against decent bowling. Didn't come off.

India could have batted on and on and on for 2.5 days. Match would have lost its significance.

IronMan2009 said:
When you accelerate sometimes things can go haywire. Not the first time that is happening to a team. Credit should go to England's bowling. India had no option but to play risky shots against decent bowling. Didn't come off.

Hmm there are 20 overs to go on day 2 and India have only made 420.

Yes England have stuck to the task well but India were 1/329 on a home pitch. If they had not scored at 2.4 runs an over for all of yesterday they would not have had to take so many risks to accelerate.

Elegant innings, MS Dhoni.

Shades of Richie Richardson in that 73 ball 29.

Random Aussie said:
Hmm there are 20 overs to go on day 2 and India have only made 420.

Yes England have stuck to the task well but India were 1/329 on a home pitch. If they had not scored at 2.4 runs an over for all of yesterday they would not have had to take so many risks to accelerate.

In hindsight it appears so. yesterday conditions were even more bowler friendly with intermittent rain. Imagine they went after bowling and losing wicket and today's collapse occurred yesterday things could have been real ugly for India.

Sparhawk said:
Dhoni is very versatile :ijaz
Oh yeah, his technique is awe-inspiring.

And the variety in strokeplay... quite mesmerizing. The nudge around the corner and the inside edges to midwicket are quite inspiring, no?

:inzi

Did Flintoff actually clock 150kph?

If he did, that's superb stuff... especially with a ball in at least it's 70th over, and the 150th of the innings. The commitment it takes to pull that off is unbelievable, and perhaps Brett Lee can learn a lesson. Brilliant Freddie.

Easa said:

If he did, that's superb stuff... especially with a ball in at least it's 70th over, and the 150th of the innings. The commitment it takes to pull that off is unbelievable, and perhaps Brett Lee can learn a lesson. Brilliant Freddie.

Flintoff>>>Lee

I don't know many people who would dispute that

How Tall is Brett Lee? Don't imply that is the problem because Marshall was only 5 10".
Flintoff cleaned him up.

Zaheer was over-ambitious against FLintoff. lol Attempting to play his incoming delivery towards point

jusarrived said:
I still think we will win this one easily ..!

I think India has batted England out of the game. Ball is jumping and turning.
India has to screw up extremely badly to lose from here.

IronMan2009 said:
How Tall is Brett Lee? Don't imply that is the problem because Marshall was only 5 10".
Flintoff cleaned him up.

6ft 1 or so.

Not a problem as such but he also does not have a very high action. Skids on to the batsman and does not generate that annoying bounce than taller bowlers can get (Flintoff, McGrath, Gillespie, Ambrose, Harmison etc)

Good bowling performance from England. Unfortunately this is now looking like a bad toss to have lost.

Umpires offer the light to England and they accept. Don't want to risk losing a wicket with a few overs remaining in the day. Start fresh tomorrow.

Easa said:

Really good aggressive spell from him in the afternoon, Yuvraj really didn't fancy it, Cook's miss was really poor.

Flintoff has been lionhearted today. 30-10-54-3, reversing it at better than 90 mph / 150 kph.

Shame he has so little support. Monty has no brains or guile, Jimmy has got nothing if there is no orthodox swing, Son of Chris is still learning his trade in tests. Keep Swanny, he's making Monty look even worse than before.

I'd give Saj Mahmood a go. At least he's quick and reverses it. Give the new ball to Fred and let Saj come on first change.

Easa said:

He didn't just "actually" clock it. He consisently was hitting it in his spell and would have had the yuvi sooner if it wasn't for cook.

Anyways series lost for England, no way they can win now.

Easa said:

Yeah against Yuvraj especially all his spells were between 145-151 K's consistently, was a great contest.. Flintoff vs Yuvvi is a great battle both love taking on each other.. Yuvvi was looking like a rock against Flintoff wasnt for that one loose shot which provided that dropped chance.. However the spinner that stupid Swannnnnn :pissed: does him again ...

Last edited:
Romali_rotti said:
Yuvvi was looking like a rock against Flintoff wasnt for that one loose shot which provided that dropped chance

Yes I agree he looked like a rock after it's been crushed to a sand like state.

Muhammad said:
Yes I agree he looked like a rock after it's been crushed to a sand like state.

Buddy I was watching the whole match live, Yuvvi never looked uncomfortable barring that one ball that Cook dropped down. Now I wanna ask you the question; Did you even see the match ? If you have then you are obviously 'lying'...

Romali_rotti said:
Buddy I was watching the whole match live, Yuvvi never looked uncomfortable barring that one ball that Cook dropped down. Now I wanna ask you the question; Did you even see the match ? If you have then you are obviously 'lying'...

Yes I did watch the match, just feel you're stretching the point to say he looked rock solid. He looked very edgy and was playing away from his body uncertainly against Flintoff. Admittedly there wasn't a great deal of playing and missing but it always seemed it was just a matter of time before he would be dismissed. Now in such a case I wouldn't say a player was solid, though you can praise him for battling it out and surviving a tough passage of play against the odds.

Muhammad said:
Yes I did watch the match, just feel you're stretching the point to say he looked rock solid. He looked very edgy and was playing away from his body uncertainly against Flintoff. Admittedly there wasn't a great deal of playing and missing but it always seemed it was just a matter of time before he would be dismissed. Now in such a case I wouldn't say a player was solid, though you can praise him for battling it out and surviving a tough passage of play against the odds.

Yuvi looked Solid in defence fending of those 150 K thunderbolts and Freddie hardly beat Yuvvi's bat, Yuvvi did drop his wrists and let a few short ones go.. However yes he did look like he would get out any minute to Swann...

let's see how England approach their innings. They need to make 500 in 120 overs to have any chance.

Thankfully, Cricket-Gods have a script of their own. India makes 550+ would've been way too predictable.

I anticipate some more twists and turns.

Most likely It will be a draw. Not a lot of time left in the Test. Assuming Alistair cook doesn't pull a Sehwag or England team collapses. Pietersen is clearly in trouble. You will see that in his batting.

Guys, I told you on day 1 that when Dravid and/or Gambhir will fall down there wont be anyone staying at crease for a long innings like above 50

Pietersen's got a broken rib and wouldn't be playing if it wasn't for the fact that everyone else in the team is so rubbish. Not that I see the point, he'll probably only be slightly better than Ian Bell.

Back