Joe Root's (128*) batting master-class takes England to 262/3 on Day 1 in 1st Test v India

India still hungover from Australia. Fielding has been poor.

Outstanding. Captain leads from the front again.

Rooooooooooooooooooooooooot

Three tons in three tests on the Subcontinent.

Joe Root is the first cricketer to score a century in his 98th, 99th and 100th Test.

Hundred in 100th Test
Colin Cowdrey
Javed Miandad
Gordon Greenidge
Alec Stewart
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Ricky Ponting (2 X 100s)
Graeme Smith
Hashim Amla
JOE ROOT

Centuries by Root (Opponent wise)

vs IND - 8*
vs WI - 7
vs SL - 6
vs NZ - 5
vs SA - 4
vs AUS - 3

228 in Galle vs Sri Lanka.
186 in Galle vs Sri Lanka.
100* in Chennai vs India.

Remarkable 2021 continues for Captain Joe Root.

Ashwin straightaway causing a few problems, has been a relatively easy time for the batsmen against Nadeem/Sundar.

Englands day if they get to close of play just 2 wickets down.

Kohli has been average today. Lol at GOAT Asian captain claims.

This reflects how poor and overrated is current Australian test team.

For England, long way to go. They should not get excited or overconfident especially when playing in India.

Still too early to call this game, also gotta remember india has to bat still.

India screwed up by debuting nadeem, shouldve played kuldeep

The pitch quality seems very low. Surely India can afford better curators?

For some reason star sports channels are showing up on my cable.

Can you folks tell me about the condition of the pitch? Is it flat? Indian bowling pedestrian? England playing incredibly well?

For some reason star sports channels are showing up on my cable.

Can you folks tell me about the condition of the pitch? Is it flat? Indian bowling pedestrian? England playing incredibly well?

Unhelpful wicket for bowling, so far.
Slow outfield reduces scoring rate.
Indian bowling very good.
Sibley obdurate, Root excellent.

Very good batting by England. Joe Root is pure class.

On the other hand, we deserve this humiliation :ashwin

India is missing Jadeja the combo of Ashwin and Jadeja had brought India's dominance at home. Others will require a few game to get used to it.

Joe Root is the best batsman to watch among Fab 4 when in full flow.

The pitch quality seems very low. Surely India can afford better curators?

Well I got told off by Indians on here that Indian pitches were very sporting these days, so maybe it's the bowlers who aren't getting anything out of it.

India is missing Jadeja the combo of Ashwin and Jadeja had brought India's dominance at home. Others will require a few game to get used to it.

We are playing at HOME....so zero excuses. Its just poor cricket and captaincy from our side and top class batting by England.

Yeah but look at the captaincy....
I know the formula, bro
Its very easy
If opposition is scoring runs- bad captaincy
If opposition gets out- good captaincy

If batsman make runs- great captaincy
If batsman fail - bad captaincy.

This formula is true 99% of the times, people will see what they want to see.

This reflects how poor and overrated is current Australian test team.

For England, long way to go. They should not get excited or overconfident especially when playing in India.

Indeed, on the last tour they passed 400 three times in the first dig and still lost 0-4. Some bloke got 300 in once match and never played again....

Vlearly shpws you bavent followed indian cricket lol.

Google and cricinfo is your friend lol.

Mate I have been watching a lot of games but this is flat and dont think will break up until 3rd day. This is back to earlier test match prior to Dhoni and Kohli era.. I am sure this is the only one they will get of this kind.

Mate I have been watching a lot of games but this is flat and dont think will break up until 3rd day. This is back to earlier test match prior to Dhoni and Kohli era.. I am sure this is the only one they will get of this kind.

We served up some flatties in 2016 pitches.

Except mumbai.

SA 2019 tour was flatties to the core.

Only Aus 2017 first 2 tests were turners..
Rest are all mild turners or flat...

Far cry from what was in 2012 - 2015

I know the formula, bro
Its very easy

Whatever the formula most people agree Virat is not really that great a captain. I mean what has he done others have not? Even part time captain won the series in Australia when Virat left it 1 - 0 down. Rohit clearly looks a better captain and only not captain because he is not a better player.

Whatever the formula most people agree Virat is not really that great a captain. I mean what has he done others have not? Even part time captain won the series in Australia when Virat left it 1 - 0 down. Rohit clearly looks a better captain and only not captain because he is not a better player.

Nah, Virat is one of the best when it comes to test captaincy.
Rohit doesn't have a fixed spot.

People keep talking about the 2016 series where England got smashed in spite of piling up big runs in the first innings, but this time around they have more bit in their bowling.

Anderson will keep it tight and if Archer is in his element, he can do damage on any surface. He is lethal.

The likes of Leach and Bess are average but they are not bottle-jobs like Moeen. Stokes can provide regular breakthroughs.

Moreover, Root is a better captain than Cook.

India is very likely to score big in the first innings as well, but they will have to bat really well unless there is an English collapse in the first two sessions tomorrow.

We served up some flatties in 2016 pitches.

Except mumbai.

SA 2019 tour was flatties to the core.

Only Aus 2017 first 2 tests were turners..
Rest are all mild turners or flat...

Far cry from what was in 2012 - 2015

This is the first flat on I have seen for a while where it does not look like it will break up atleast until the 3rd day. Where the flat pitches you are referring too started breaking up by the end of first day.

I know the formula, bro
Its very easy

Haha i guess.....you are right.

But fans like us and other cricket experts can look deeper...

Root scored a hundred in the first innings of the first Test in 2016 as well.

Sign of an extremely talented, effortless batsman. Doesn’t need time to adjust to the conditions and the bowling attack when he is in his element.

Such a complete player.

We are playing at HOME....so zero excuses. Its just poor cricket and captaincy from our side and top class batting by England.

Play at home or away good proven player is proven player. Yes playing at home means you can get away with few things and India will.

This is the first flat on I have seen for a while where it does not look like it will break up atleast until the 3rd day. Where the flat pitches you are referring too started breaking up by the end of first day.

No they didnt...

Chennai 2016 was particularly awful.

People keep talking about the 2016 series where England got smashed in spite of piling up big runs in the first innings, but this time around they have more bit in their bowling.

Anderson will keep it tight and if Archer is in his element, he can do damage on any surface. He is lethal.

The likes of Leach and Bess are average but they are not bottle-jobs like Moeen. Stokes can provide regular breakthroughs.

India is very likely to score big in the first innings as well, but they will have to bat really well unless there is an English collapse in the first two sessions tomorrow.

Yeah this is a danger series for India.

They could catch us woth our pants down.

To be fair, many fully expected this sleepy performance.

3 test maces, series victory in aus.
And above all a Fast bowling culture.

Rahane also won a series in Australia with an India A(B-Z) side. He has done nothing special in LOI's and at home too we can beat any team without needing any captain lol. You can give credit to him for fast bowling culture though. :inti

What's your prediction for this series

Pity. Deserved a hundred. A top knock nonetheless.

England would be more than happy with the day. Root needs to push for a double-century tomorrow and aim for a total of 450+ at the minimum.

You can never rule a batting collapse out when England is batting though. This could easily go from 263/3 to 323/8.

The first session tomorrow is crucial for both sides.

Wonderful day of cricket between two top sides.

Yeah, we gave $$$ to Hawkeye for this. We are powerful board so we decide what is out and not out.

:yk

No need to be so defensive.

I said it was missing before the referral/TV referral.

To me the ball was swinging in late and hit him flush but on middle and leg stump line... in my view the ball wouldn't have just stopped swinging but would probably have continued in its trajectory and hence missed leg stump.

What's your prediction for this series

It is very hard to say. England cannot win the series but I think they have the potential to draw.

If I were a betting man I wouldn’t be putting money on this series. It is too unpredictable in my view.

England is a very resilient team and they are well-prepared while India might still be caught in the celebrations of the Australian series.

EtdayJSVkAETuCQ

Great start for England! They need to aim for >500 and then bowl at the Indian batsmen with some good scoreboard pressure.

India meanwhile will want to get England out for <400 and match or better this score themselves.

Great start for England! They need to aim for >500 and then bowl at the Indian batsmen with some good scoreboard pressure.

India meanwhile will want to get England out for <400 and match or better this score themselves.
Stokes, Root, Pope, Buttler.......
England will make atleast 450.

England scored at a good rate too so it looks like we'll get to see a 4th innings chase

Yes fantastic so far by the boys, gutted Dom Got out at the end, it's imperative tomorrow Joe goes on for a Daddy hundred and England look to get in the region of 550.

Still too early to call this game, also gotta remember india has to bat still.

India screwed up by debuting nadeem, shouldve played kuldeep
Its his second test. He debuted against South Africa and bowled decent then. But was off-color today.

Back