Joe Root's (128*) batting master-class takes England to 262/3 on Day 1 in 1st Test v India

Sibley charges Nadeem and hits a beautiful on-driven four to bring up the England hundred.

England are so boring to watch.

Imagine a team of eleven Pujaras.

This top order is so sad to watch. Root is ok but kind of boring. He's gone through 100 test matches and I don't think I've watched a full innings of his.

I'm particularly intrigued by this Sibley character. He looks so determined about the way he's playing spin, I'd love to see him fall apart as the series progresses.

His hands and arms move so much like Alastair Cook - but I think he's gonna soon fall into Ashwin's lap as the series moves on :rabada2

This top order is so sad to watch. Root is ok but kind of boring. He's gone through 100 test matches and I don't think I've watched a full innings of his.

I'm particularly intrigued by this Sibley character. He looks so determined about the way he's playing spin, I'd love to see him fall apart as the series progresses.

His hands and arms move so much like Alastair Cook - but I think he's gonna soon fall into Ashwin's lap as the series moves on :rabada2

If Root is boring then what do you think of pujara who is shockingly borefest, Root for me one of the most elegant bats in world cricket.

Last edited:
If Root is boring then what do you think of pujara who is shockingly borefest, Toot for me one of the most elegant bats in world cricket.

As an Indian fan, it's kind of obvious I'd find more value in watching Pujara bat over Root, even if he isn't as good.

There are no beasts in wicket . All England needs to do is put bad balls away. They are batting beautifully

Boring? Lol.

Some viewers are apparently upset that England’s batsmen are adapting to the excellent Indian bowing and attritional conditions. India likewise can come quickly back into the contest by prising out a couple of quick wickets.

This is proper Test cricket.

Change the channel to Abu Dhabi T10s and get out of this thread if you don’t like it.

Back to back fifties against spin attacks for Sibley.

He looks good today, moving positively, very patient.

Sibbers rock solid again.

We love the Domster.

The virtual crowd showing their appreciation for Sibley's half century. Chennai has always been a sporting crowd.

Boring? Lol.

Some viewers are apparently upset that England’s batsmen are adapting to the excellent Indian bowing and attritional conditions. India likewise can come quickly back into the contest by prising out a couple of quick wickets.

Change the channel to Abu Dhabi T10s and get out of this thread if you don’t like it.

Quite so. This is test cricket. Some see boring batting. I see organised batting against very good tight bowling supported by well-set fields.

The virtual crowd showing their appreciation for Sibley's half century. Chennai has always been a sporting crowd.

:))

It’s a lovely ground. This is where Botham got his thirteen wicket haul. Wonder if Anderson can emulate?

Boring? Lol.

Not boring at all. Main bowlers has been relentless and accurate while batsmen showing tremendous patience and grit. Only thing is I wish this pitch had something for the pacers, would have been even a greater contest between bat and ball.

Indians look a little messy and flat on the field, misfields, lazy running. They are still on a high from the Aus tour, I feel they will lose this test match...

There is very little bounce on the wicket, don't know why Kohli is having men wayyy back in the slips

Attrition cricket is still the formula of success in away tours.

A month ago Pujara did it, in this game, Sibley is doing so. Tire the bowlers until they give up.

Ishant is being super economical here. Tough cricket.

Etc0paCVgAEs13F

Pitch is not completely dead, slight movement for both seamers and spinners

Moreover, eng made several 400 scores in 2016 series and were still thrashed 4-0

Indians look a little messy and flat on the field, misfields, lazy running. They are still on a high from the Aus tour, I feel they will lose this test match...

All will be revealed when India bat - I feel their batsmen will score much quicker than England

Good session for england but 450 will be a par score here on this surface. Still loads batting to do.

Reverse for Bumrah after 27 overs. Super dry conditions. It will get harder and harder to bat.

I am feeling Broad was a must on this pitch. I am also sure Indians would love to have a 3rd pacer instead of Washington.

Yikes, that was a fast leg break from Ishant. Dennis Lillee stuff.

Good going be England. Root solid as usual, while Sibley continues to impress.

India on the other hand, well they look like they're back to being meh under Colly. I won't be surprised if England go on & win the series, while the Bharth Arun's & Shastri's keep praising Colly for his midnight whatsapp messages.

England are so boring to watch.

Imagine a team of eleven Pujaras.

Sibley is a reincarnation of Boycott. Can't say Root, Stokes or Buttler are boring though.

Stop being so salty whenever England do well :p

Rooooooooooooooooot

Fiftieth test fifty in his hundredth test.

Only scoring at about 45/100, unlike his 65/100 in SL, but that is testament to the tight Indian bowling.

As always root looks super strong as anything against spin

But a little hiccups against ishant

We are playing an awful bowling attack.

No Shami
No Umesh( in Asia)
No Jadeja

Need to pick Siraj till Umesh or Shami get fit. Ishant should only play outside Asia, don't think he has much left in him.

As always root looks super strong as anything against spin

But a little hiccups against ishant

Ishant is very good these days. His movement off the surface surprises me.

I was worried for Sibley but he looks like the real deal now. His emergence as anchorman takes pressure off Root and Stokes.

We are playing an awful bowling attack.

No Shami
No Umesh( in Asia)
No Jadeja

Need to pick Siraj till Umesh or Shami get fit. Ishant should only play outside Asia, don't think he has much left in him.

Awful? Strewth, if only England had Bumrah and Ashwin! Ishant is bowling really well today too.

All will be revealed when India bat - I feel their batsmen will score much quicker than England

I said before the start of the series bro that it wouldn't surprise me if ENG won the series. Indians are on cloud 9, they just don't have that ruthlessness like Steve Waugh's all time great Aus side. Watching them right now on the field, it is all: lalala dada da, wishy washy...

If both Nadeem and Sundar fail to make an impact with the ball, leaving out Kuldeep can turn out be a very defensive decision by Kohli.

Lovely cover drive by Root off Bumrah brings up the hundred partnership.

Awful? Strewth, if only England had Bumrah and Ashwin! Ishant is bowling really well today too.

Bumrah and Ashwin are both brilliant bowlers but the support cast is average. They are missing Jadeja and Shami or Umesh would have been more lethal in these conditions than Ishant.

England looking solid and laying the foundations for a big score.

Root is different class.

Umesh and Shami are more experienced with using reverse swing on Indian pitches.

Umesh Yadav has taken 38 wickets in India at an average of 13.86 (yes 13.86) over the last 3 years.

England and Aus are both much harder opponents for us, can't afford them to get beaten in this series.

If India mess this up...

I said before the start of the series bro that it wouldn't surprise me if ENG won the series. Indians are on cloud 9, they just don't have that ruthlessness like Steve Waugh's all time great Aus side. Watching them right now on the field, it is all: lalala dada da, wishy washy...
Series loss and Aus are through right? Unless England win 3-0 or 4-0 which is unlikely.

BBC commentators note that the last two times England won in India were based on an opener batting forever... Robinson and Cook.

Series loss and Aus are through right? Unless England win 3-0 or 4-0 which is unlikely.

Even draw is enough for Aus to go through. 1-1 or even 2-2 will mean Aus goes through. 2-1 is minimum margin for India to go through.

Bumrah and Ashwin are both brilliant bowlers but the support cast is average. They are missing Jadeja and Shami or Umesh would have been more lethal in these conditions than Ishant.

Perhaps so but calling the current attack awful is disrespectful and inaccurate. It is keeping one of the world’s best batsmen quiet.

India are missing Sir RJ. Sir would have find a way to get a few wickets, might have outperformed Ash on this wicket.

It seems we will have to wait for second new bowl now. Bumrah will strike with the new bowl for sure.

Time to remove Root's profile photo.

Since putting Joe Root's pic, his performance has been

Tests - 3
Runs - 505 runs
Average - 126.25

228, 1, 186, 11, 79*

:inti

At least there is some proper cricket going on between two top teams somewhere.

Masterclass by Root. He is capitalizing on Jadeja’s absence but he has showed that he is still one of the greatest batsmen in modern cricket. Class is indeed permanent.

Root deserves a hundred for this masterclass. India's body language says it all.

Just need to carry on grinding for as long as possible.

Ashwin has not bowled in this session till now and Root has ended up scoring 50 odd runs in his absence. Time to bring him on maybe.

How was shabaz picked over kuldeep?

An extra seamer could have been more useful.

Quality batting from root and Sibley though

Root will get out now, no century for him today.:afridi

If the opposite happens blame my chinese crystal ball.

At least there is some proper cricket going on between two top teams somewhere.

Masterclass by Root. He is capitalizing on Jadeja’s absence but he has showed that he is still one of the greatest batsmen in modern cricket. Class is indeed permanent.

200-2 seems quite one sided at the moment I can’t find top class anywhere

Remembering 2016 will change your perspective.

200-2 in dead pitches in India isn't domination.

Yeah of course but they are taking time out on top of that India is still going to win if not a draw there is no third result it’s an Indian win or draw because England won’t be able to get kohli and co out on this pitch

lol...

Neither good for pacers or spinners.

I was actually worried about this happening.

We served up a crappy one in 2016.

Its just boring to watch test cricket in dead pitches.

Yea if there's no pace/bounce off the pitch, then it becomes relatively easy to play spinners even if its start turning by Day 3/4.

Hopefully, there will be some help for spinners later in the match.

Ishant is very good these days. His movement off the surface surprises me.

I was worried for Sibley but he looks like the real deal now. His emergence as anchorman takes pressure off Root and Stokes.
Hold your horses as its only first day on a typical Indian road and there is nothing on this pitch for bowlers YET. Let’s see how he bats on third day onwards and then we can say he is good or bad.

Back