India v England | 3rd ODI | Kanpur | 20/11/08

natalia

T20I Debutant
Runs
England have won the toss and have elected to bat.
Swann comes in for Harmison.
Ishant comes in for RP Singh

Late start due to hazy conditions. 45 minutes delay, match will start at 9:45 AM local time.

soo England choose to bat on the only pitch which will offer movement in the morning?
and it;s 16/0 after 7 overs :)

India failing hard, Bell took us to the cleaners for a while.. ***? Hes like the worst opener out there 2nd only to Matt Prior for odis.

deathstreak said:
we are talking England not Australia :D

Well India are not going to brave enough to offer any pitch that is not an absolute road and England have seam bowler only. So they are not going to win a game unless India choke it up.

:D

I do not understand KP tactics here.

Why cant he send in Broad. He had been very effective in this series so far.

Viv_rav said:
Watching England playing even mediocre quality spin is painful.
Imagine what Mendis would do yo them! I dare say he can single handedly bowl them out in 4-5 overs :))

Random Aussie said:
Well India are not going to brave enough to offer any pitch that is not an absolute road and England have seam bowler only. So they are not going to win a game unless India choke it up.

:D

177/5
interesting road

LOL England folding like a cheap suit. Let's share the laughs around :D

OZGOD said:
LOL England folding like a cheap suit. Let's share the laughs around :D

It looks deceptive - my instinct tell me to keep shut for now and laugh at Aussies instead. Who knows Indian or Kiwi batsman might make me cry later in the night :D

Perfect example of multiculturalism - Shah and Patel batting against India. :D

It is really really crazy.

Recent overs 1 . . . 1 2nb 1 | 1 1 1wd 1 6 2 1 | 1 . 1nb 1nb 5wd 1 W W 1wd . | 1 1lb . 1 W

Random Aussie said:
Waste of time playing him anyway. What is the point?

Exactly. He should be played only in the Tests for at least 1-2 years . The kid looks a little lost in ODIs.

They could have got Praveen Kumar in the squad.

OZGOD said:
Perfect example of multiculturalism - Shah and Patel batting against India. :D

Shahs and Patels are universal Indians - they have found their way into teams from Zimbabwe to New Zealand to England.

I won't be surprised if i find a certain Shah or Patel start playing for Australia and SA soon :D

Ajeyastra said:
Shahs and Patels are universal Indians - they have found their way into teams from Zimbabwe to New Zealand to England.

I won't be surprised if i find a certain Shah or Patel start playing for Australia and SA soon :D

Shah is from Pakistan right?

Wherever you go in the world you will find a Patel.....

lol England scored more than Australia today :D :D

deathstreak said:
Wherever you go in the world you will find a Patel.....

Latest data from Chandrayaan suggest there may be Patels on the moon as well.

some one shud tell Sehwag to stay cool and milk some runs with out taking any undue risks. he is trying to commit hara-kiri. u never know about the indian batting. sehwag must stay, he can easily get a big one today if he has some sense.

India 101/2 in 20.3 overs

Too slow and too far away from the target, to my comfort.

I was hoping for some annihilation after that little flick of the Switch.

Yuvi cant get a 3 rd consecutive hundred. never mind.at least Sehwag can compensate.

If Sehwag stays there India will win irrespective of who is his partner or who is the bowler

alexjohn_tcr said:
If Sehwag stays there India will win irrespective of who is his partner or who is the bowler

Sehwag OUT

Bad light stops play. Victory for India on Duckworth Lewis method.

The ground has floodlights, but apparently it's been agreed not to use them for day games. What an excellent idea. After all, you wouldn't want Indian fans who've paid the equivalent of a week's wages, or England fans who've travelled thousands of miles to be there to see a full game of cricket, would you?

England have nothing to complain.
9 overs to go , 43 runs to get, 5 wickets in hand. dhoni and yusuf in crease. india is ahead by D/L. cant really complain against rules. may be the match shud have been 45 overs each rather than 49 overs. if u start almost 45 minutes late, u shud deduct 10 overs not 2 overs. at least for the next match in kanpur, BCCI can schedule when there is no likelihood of fog or bad light.

bcci said:
Well Done India, Yayyyyyyyyyy

The weather comes to India's rescue.

You gotta feel for KP and the boys, he'd brought himself on to mop up the Indian tail and then the weather thwarts him.

Almost 2-1 but unfortunately 3-0 because of Duckworth and Lewis.

Last edited:
Muhammad said:
The weather comes to India's requested.

You gotta feel for KP and the boys, he'd brought himself on to mop up the Indian tail and then the weather thwarts him.

which tailenders were batting when he came to mop up?
Flintoff and Broad have only 1 over each.

Last edited:
Rajan said:
England have nothing to complain.
9 overs to go , 43 runs to get, 5 wickets in hand. dhoni and yusuf in crease. india is ahead by D/L. cant really complain against rules. may be the match shud have been 45 overs each rather than 49 overs. if u start almost 45 minutes late, u shud deduct 10 overs not 2 overs. at least for the next match in kanpur, BCCI can schedule when there is no likelihood of fog or bad light.

I'm not complaining about the result. I'm complaining about the fact that we could have got a full game in, but didn't. What's the point of having coloured clothing and a white ball if you're not allowed to use floodlights when they're available to be used? It's ridiculous.

Big Harvey said:
I'm not complaining about the result. I'm complaining about the fact that we could have got a full game in, but didn't. What's the point of having coloured clothing and a white ball if you're not allowed to use floodlights when they're available to be used? It's ridiculous.
True. This is the same thing the commentators said during the match.

Big Harvey said:

point taken.
i can understand if they dont like to switch on the lights during test cricket, red ball...
but in one day cricket they must agree to use the lights. at least for this match specifically they could have agreed, before the toss.

Although the result would have been the same if the lights were used it would have been good to see it till the end!!!!

It is laughable to not use the lights! Cummon, this is pyjama cricket after all!!!!

They had lights but they didn't use them ... PAINDOOS !

I guess the BCCI doesn't have enough money to pay the electric bill :p

Last edited:
kashif77 said:

there is an agreement between the 2 boards about using /not using lights. it was followed. how ever foolish it is, pieterson must have been aware of it. Dhoni was.
---
"It is frustrating, it would have been nice to get a full game in today," Pietersen said. "We're getting better though, the games are getting closer. It'd be nice if one of our batters got in and scored a 100. "

"At the end of the day the umpire made decisions and unfortunately we came out bottom," Pietersen said when asked about the light.

"In the morning at the toss I said that D-L would come into play," Dhoni said. "It was bound to happen. I had the sheet in my pocket when I went to bat. We knew if we didn't lose wickets we would get ahead of the equation. the pitch was slower when we batted and the odd ball was turning ... but we had D-L in mind and we got of to a decent start and were always ahead of the equation.
-----------------------

kashif77 said:

Both the captains should agree about using before the play.I think that is what rule says

Another easy win for India over Hapless England there 4-0 win over S.A is now a distant memory!

Honeymoon period over for KP!

:125:

Somehow we have managed to keep the Jinx away, applied by :wasim rather unknowingly(I must say)

:wasim Bhai enjoy the hospitality, but keep :X

Last edited:
Amjid Javed said:
Another easy win for India over Hapless England there 4-0 win over S.A is now a distant memory!

Honeymoon period over for KP!

On the other hand, i appreciate KP's courage to bowl at crunch situations. he would have been crucified by the press if he had gone for 20 runs in an over bowling to Yuvraj/Dhoni/Gambhir. but he had done well and has the guts to gamble.

Rajan said:
On the other hand, i appreciate KP's courage to bowl at crunch situations. he would have been crucified by the press if he had gone for 20 runs in an over bowling to Yuvraj/Dhoni/Gambhir. but he had done well and has the guts to gamble.

Yeah I agree with you on guts part, though I have a rather sad feeling about his brains.

When I am saying this, I am also not happy with Dhoni also in context of today's game. Reasons being:-

1. Risking Ishant
2. getting UV to bowl more the YP and Sehwag

But again "all is well that ends well"

Last edited:
priory_o_sion said:
Yeah I agree with you on guts part, though I have a rather sad feeling about his brains.

When I am saying this, I am also not happy with Dhoni also in context of today's game. Reasons being:-

1. Risking Ishant
2. getting UV to bowl more the YP and Sehwag

But again "all is well that ends well"

i was cursing him for that. Dhoni gets influenced by Yuvi or may be it would be difficult for him to cut off yuvi. when Ian Botham was in his peak, his captains always mentioned that it was so difficult to pluck the ball out of his hand. he always wanted to bowl. but at least he deserved it. here Yuvi was going for liberally 7 per over initially, instead of cutting him off and giving to Sehwag or Yusuf, Dhoni let him have a free run. i agree, he took a wicket but at least after the 8th over he should have been cut off.strange tactics.

The Indian team for the remaining ODI matches of this series is supposed to be picked today. Tendulkar is supposed to play the remaining matches.

This England team is not good enough. They are batting too defensively. Besides they need a good spinner Swan did a decent job, they need another spinner though. It is a mystery why a massive striker of the ball like Mascerenhas wasnt selected. Maybe Flintoff and Pieterson need to move up the order.

Muhammad said:

Yeah if I was KP thats how I would like to think - it will at least give him some motivation to play the next game ... :))

That's pretty sad. How hard is it to turn the lights on?

I am with English supporters on this one - a game should be decided the old fashioned way to the extent possible. It is hard to digest the result in such a farcical endings. It is such a shame really.

As for the lights not being turned on, i think those agreements happen before the toss to make sure such facilities are not exploited willingly and wittingly.

OZGOD said:
That's pretty sad. How hard is it to turn the lights on?

Even harder than it is for an England captain to not whinge after a defeat.

So I guess that means it's impossible.

Cricket is a funny game. I love every bit of it when Indian batsman attack English bowlers ruthlessly, except when the bowler on the receiving end is Flintoff. In that case, I feel hurt watching anyone scoring runs off Flintoff. He is such a dear favorite player of mine, I can't watch him go down. I want India to win, but Flintoff to perform well :)

uscricketer06 said:
he might be afridi's close relatives.
I really wish I was.

I'd be videoing him all the time, even outside cricket, around the house, outside etc and uploading the clips regularly in a thread that I'd call "Incidents of Violence"

:afridi

Sachin is back in the team after a gap of eight months.More humiliation awaits Poms !

Very strong team for the next couple of matches.Irfan too included in the squad

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Gambhir
Yuvraj
Rohit
Dhoni
Yusuf
Irfan
Harbhajan
Zaheer
Ishant

Muhammad said:

Almost 2-1? Sheesh! As Rajan mentioned, 9 overs, 43 runs 5 wickets in hand and 1 over each from Broad and Flintoff. Optimism is one thing, your positive spin (no pun intended) on the matter borders on Faith. No its not a compliment.

cricketrulez said:
Almost 2-1? Sheesh! As Rajan mentioned, 9 overs, 43 runs 5 wickets in hand and 1 over each from Broad and Flintoff. Optimism is one thing, your positive spin (no pun intended) on the matter borders on Faith. No its not a compliment.

Going by his previous posts, he is definitely being sarcastic.

At least with the game finishing when it did, the handful of England supporters will have had plenty of time to get back to their digs and have a shower and a bite to eat before heading off to the train station for the long journey south. There are no direct trains to Bangalore, so some will be on the way to Kolkata tonight, spending a few hours sightseeing, getting an onward train from there, and arriving in Bangalore on the morning of the game. A quicker and more popular option (if popular is the right word) is to change at Jhansi Junction at about 3am, which will get them into Bangalore the day before the game to hopefully sort out tickets, whether through official or unofficial channels.

Regardless of how England are doing, they will be having the time of their lives, although I'm sure those who are doing the whole tour will be starting to feel the pace by now. They'll have had the crowds, the dust, the choking air pollution of Kanpur, and all manner of other hassles to contend with, not to mention those long, gruelling train journeys, but if they're like me, they'll stand in the doorway of that train tomorrow morning, watch the sun rising, and be glad in their hearts that they've gone those extra miles to follow England in such an amazing country. It's impossible to get tired of seeing Indian sunrises.

They will take a certain amount of consolation from the fact that so far at least, England have looked as if they've actually been trying, rather than merely going through the motions, as sometimes looks to be the case with England in one day cricket. Although England have been well beaten in every game so far, India have been playing some excellent stuff.

Back