India vs Sri Lanka | Match 5 | CB Series | Canberra | 12/2/2008

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Match 5 is due to commence in just under 2 hours time.

India must start as favourites after their excellent victory over the hosts at the MCG.

Dilshan is doubtful for the Lankans with Maharoof expected to replace him.

my prediction
sri lanka batting first----274/8 in 50 overs
india----223 all out in 48.4 overs

Ok so this is a day game!

Sangakarra and Jayasuriya in full form vs these young Indian bowlers can be a very fine contest. S Lankan win here will really revive the tournament.

Go Indiaaaaaaaa
Good luck boyos. beat the lankans today and you've booked a place in the finals!

aside from India beating it has been a horrendous tournament. 2/3 matches rained out.

And now this:

(from cricinfo)

Hello everyone and welcome along to what will be coverage of India and Sri Lanka's CB Series game at Manuka Oval if and when the rain stops. Unfortunately it's been cats and dogs all morning and there are puddles everywhere.

At best it's going to be something like a 25-over game, that's if drainage is good. Hand-run super soppers are trying to drain water from the covers, while a couple of normal ones are doing the rounds in the outfield. There are puddles of water near the covers, it's not looking good already I'm afraid.

wanted_desi said:
^^ so if they win today, they will be in finals forsure?

oops just checked each side plays each other 4 times not 3, so india will have to win 2 more games to go through. That will mean SL having to win every game to beat India, which is almost impossible.

Last edited:
if australia doesn't want to play us in pakistan then we can all pray that Aussies get 2 years of non-stop raining above and around their cricket grounds....

and now

cricinfo

10.15am It may be raining at Manuka Oval, which should be hosting only its second international match right now, but the sun's always shining in Slogout. While we're plugging check this and that but don't get so emerged in the latter that you don't come back. For more facts about this game check out the bulletin, lovingly crafted by Brydon Coverdale. I'm Jenny Thompson by the way, and I'm going to start an umbrella manufacturing business

10.25am Rajesh, our very own statsguru, has something for us. "If this match is washed out, it'll be the 11th no-result in ODIs between Sri Lanka and India, which is a record for any two teams. The next best (worst?) is Australia v India. Sri Lanka have been involved in 22 washouts, and half of them have been versus India."

J-Essence said:
if australia doesn't want to play us in pakistan then we can all pray that Aussies get 2 years of non-stop raining above and around their cricket grounds....

Thank for your prayers - 2 years of non stop rain would be very good for Australia, we are almost out of water. We can always play cricket at Telstra Dome under cover :D

Random Aussie said:
Thank for your prayers - 2 years of non stop rain would be very good for Australia, we are almost out of water. We can always play cricket at Telstra Dome under cover :D
i have been watching this tournament for the last 16 years and this has to be the wettest start ever.

Random Aussie said:
u can borrow some from canada

PlanetPakistan said:
i have been watching this tournament for the last 16 years and this has to be the wettest start ever.

Tournament normally starts in the middle of January. Was pushed back due to Ind-Pak series.

But it has been wetter in Australia recently than it has been for a long time, thankfully.

covers are still on but rain has stopped. its just light drizzle. lets see.

Very bad scheduling by ACB. If its rainy season then choose venues that have a high chance of being dry. Or play the match the next day.

12.10am Hurrah, the covers are coming off and there could be cricket in an hour or so's time. The umpires are already out there testing the track with their feet. There could be something like a 30-over game around 1pm on what's still a pretty damp day. Stay tuned for more updates.

Dhonifan said:

Very bad scheduling by ACB. If its rainy season then choose venues that have a high chance of being dry. Or play the match the next day.
It's not really the rainy season.

Dhonifan said:

Ahem the series is scheduled so late because the Indian cricket team wouldn't come earlier as they had to play yet another Test series against Pakistan. Not ACB's fault.

Also it is raining everywhere unseasonally at the moment

Random Aussie said:
Ahem the series is scheduled so late because the Indian cricket team wouldn't come earlier as they had to play yet another Test series against Pakistan. Not ACB's fault.

Also it is raining everywhere unseasonally at the moment
everywhere eh...well that puts a lid on it. Looks like half of this series is going to be rained out.

12.35pm Players have been spotted out there, warming up. And the crowd's starting to fill up. The news from the inspection is that the umpires were not happy with the conditions inside the 30-yard circle and they're looking at another inspection at 12.50 and toss at about 1. This brings us to a 29-over game - Twentynine29 anyone?

Random Aussie said:

o yea that crappy dome..lol :p

Sachin looking dangerous. His on side play has been great today.

0/42 after 7...i reckon both teams will be happy.

Good steady partnership this - 32 runs in 42 balls - intelligent partnership

Rohit Sharma needs to hit a few: his strike rate is unacceptable at this point.

Gambhir run out for 35!

India 113-3 Overs 20.0/29

Dhoni is 15 runs short of his 3000 runs in his 100th ODI!!!

Damn! Sharma is a killer; he is wasting balls and now he got Gambhir run out. Very stupid cricket from him.

rohit has played 16 balls more than his score. he has to reduce that as close to zero as possible. To top it off, he has also accounted for Gambhir. He really needs to hit out RIGHT now.

Crap now in 180 looks tough

looks like Uthappa wont get to bat even today

these youngsters may be good but are they situationally aware what needs to be done? 6 more overs and 7 wkts,this is ridiculous

to give credit where it’s due, SL has really kept it tight both on the field and the bowling has been disciplined

Quit whining Indiagem!

Run rate is close to 5.5 with 6 overs to go. Kid has strike rate of 75%. Third intl innings and he not completely shutting down the scoring. He is playing a good innings.

3000 ODI runs completed for Dhoni in his 100th ODI!!!

Well Done on your fantastic achievment!!! :14:

maintain 10 runs an over for the last 4, get close to 200 and thats pretty much a total sri lanka would have to struggle to achieve.

cricketrulez said:
Run rate is close to 5.5 with 6 overs to go. Kid has strike rate of 75%. Third intl innings and he not completely shutting down the scoring. He is playing a good innings.
lol...am I am whiner? Maybe I am...You certified me.

I pity Uthappa’s misfortune..Hope he gets promoted in the next game atleast

Sharma has paced his innings really well here. UV would have choked if he was in!

Back