James Anderson's bowling average to drop below 30 soon (Countdown)

I don't think England fans are particularly insecure (unlike the Anderson haters!) so they're not asking for him to be compared to Dale Steyn. What they're happy with is that he is a superb bowler for England. It's purely about the TEAM winning in England, although apparently not everywhere else.

So it's finally under 30 and this time around, it will stay that way for at least three days unlike the last two times that lasted about 5 minutes combined.

I am just happy to have a dependable leader of the attack. And he is not good as Steyn. But hell, Steyn looks to end his career as top 3 to ever bowl fast. Nothing wrong with second to that. I just am happy that Anderson is good enough that every other team in the world would snatch him up in an instant to either lead the attack or support Steyn at the other end.

Whats his career average after this match?

The reason why i dont rate him highly its his lack of destructive ability. Even when putting up subjective cut off-dates its still 55+.

An improved bowler though but not anywhere near great IMO

I am just happy to have a dependable leader of the attack. And he is not good as Steyn. But hell, Steyn looks to end his career as top 3 to ever bowl fast. Nothing wrong with second to that. I just am happy that Anderson is good enough that every other team in the world would snatch him up in an instant to either lead the attack or support Steyn at the other end.
Mainly due to circumstance than anything...

what do we do with his partner then?

Whats his career average after this match?

The reason why i dont rate him highly its his lack of destructive ability. Even when putting up subjective cut off-dates its still 55+.

An improved bowler though but not anywhere near great IMO

He can be destructive every now and then. Pakistan at TB. NZ at TB. Aus at Adelaide come to mind. A couple Lords matches...

As for partnering him with Steyn... Steyn destroying a side at one end while Jimmy works people out with control at the other. Steyn tires faster than you put on Philander to do what he does. No reprieve for the batsman as Jimmy can bowl extended spells of high class bowling. He is bot highly skilled and a workhorse. What more can you ask.

and no he is not great. But he will be fondly remembered in England.

Mainly due to circumstance than anything...

Flat pitches and T20 training along with videos that help you prepare for bowlers. Not many good bowlers exist in the game for a reason. It is hard being a bowler. People say Finn and Pattinson and Boult and Starc are just laden with talent. None of them look like Steyn or McGrath etc right now because it has gotten harder to bowl.

¨^ The man will end up with 500 wickets below 30 by the time he hangs up. That will surely make him a world great.

Flat pitches and T20 training along with videos that help you prepare for bowlers. Not many good bowlers exist in the game for a reason. It is hard being a bowler. People say Finn and Pattinson and Boult and Starc are just laden with talent. None of them look like Steyn or McGrath etc right now because it has gotten harder to bowl.
As stupid as you might think it may sound but Philander reminds me a lot of Mcgrath and Pattinson is quite similar to Steyn (Aggression and Pace).

He can be destructive every now and then. Pakistan at TB. NZ at TB. Aus at Adelaide come to mind. A couple Lords matches...

As for partnering him with Steyn... Steyn destroying a side at one end while Jimmy works people out with control at the other. Steyn tires faster than you put on Philander to do what he does. No reprieve for the batsman as Jimmy can bowl extended spells of high class bowling. He is bot highly skilled and a workhorse. What more can you ask.

and no he is not great. But he will be fondly remembered in England.

how did you come to that conclusion? Steyn has bowled some marathon spells and is the fittest guy out there (as most South Africans are athletes), Smith wants to prolong his career and likes to bowl him for 5 over spells. He bowled 10 overs on the trott against Pakistan to prove his fitness.

Philander looks like a new ball bowler to me (will have to wait and see before making bold assertions), even if he turns out to be a "trundler", "new ball bully" or "green track bully" he is just too devastating. Bowled Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan under 50, this clearly indicates his destructive prowess upfront it would be a waste to introduce him @1st change.

I dont want someone to contain upfront i want to see batsmen in the hut. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Last edited:
how did you come to that conclusion? Steyn has bowled some marathon spells and is the fittest guy out there (as most South Africans are athletes), Smith wants to prolong his career and likes to bowl him for 5 over spells. He bowled 10 overs on the trott against Pakistan to prove his fitness.

Philander looks like a new ball bowler to me (will have to wait and see before making bold assertions), even if he turns out to be a "trundler", "new ball bully" or "green track bully" he is just to devastating. Bowled Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan under 50, this clearly indicates his destructive prowess upfront it would be a waste to introduce @1st change.

I dont want someone to contain upfront i want to see batsmen in the hut

Jimmy is fit. How else do you bowl 13 overs in that heat. He did 7 or 8 in India too at one point. And he doesn't contain first up. He works people over by mixing in and outswing and people can't score off him. And Philander is the best bowler to get seam movement of the lot so he would mind a 10 overs old ball the least, if it has a touch less swing.

Jimmy is fit. How else do you bowl 13 overs in that heat. He did 7 or 8 in India too at one point. And he doesn't contain first up. He works people over by mixing in and outswing and people can't score off him. And Philander is the best bowler to get seam movement of the lot so he would mind a 10 overs old ball the least, if it has a touch less swing.

i never said Jimmy was not fit, i was stating that your claims on Steyn tiring quickly were baseless and unfounded allegations.

Re Vern: i think its be a matter preference/opinion or maybe that i dont trust him yet with the older or slighty older ball. Hence he would open the bowling for me.

i never said Jimmy was not fit, i was stating that your claims on Steyn tiring quickly were baseless and unfounded allegations.

Re Vern: i think its be a matter preference/opinion or maybe that i dont trust him yet with the older or slighty older ball. Hence he would open the bowling for me.

Perhaps, but in relative fitness to Anderson, I'd say Steyn tires faster and more likely to break down after long spells. Anderson has missed one match to injury in the past few years I think, and he is the most bowled pacer in our team, and behind Herath for most overs bowled over some span, not sure how many. That's why I'd rather conserve Steyn, as in. 5 overs of Steyn, 7 for Anderson, Philander starts after Steyn. I don't see a point in taking Anderson off before Steyn, safer all around.

And the reason I'd want Anderson at opening is because he is good at every spot, but he excels at two areas. New ball swing, and reverse swing. I think he might be the best reverse bowler currently playing, and Philander/Steyn are his competition for new ball. I wouldn't want to put him in the middle sort of overs where he can be tight, but not incisive. That's where I'd want Philander's seam bowling and Steyn's pace.

The problem with moving the ball all over the place too early is that batsmen will be over cautious. Against quality teams you will get found out too, you have to show patients and bowl in the right areas consistently (look at Jimmy's record vs South Africa for example).
To some degree a bit like the debate between Waqar and Wasim, the latter could bowl every delivery in the book, yeah sure he was economical but take a look at his strike rate. Hence i choose Waqar all the time despite him travelling a lil bit.

Philander's strength is unrelenting accuracy and seam movement in either direction. Jimmy tends to get carried away and wants to bowl every delivery on the book and loses accuracy/penetration at times, again his strike rate tells the story.

I want batsmen to play as many deliviries against the new ball as possible and Vern gives me that option, he is more accurate than Jimmy. Then you have Steyn who moves it away very late his outswinger is better than Jimmy's to be fair. Thats the best combination for me.

The problem with moving the ball all over the place too early is that batsmen will be over cautious. Against quality teams you will get found out too, you have to show patients and bowl in the right areas consistently (look at Jimmy's record vs South Africa for example).
To some degree a bit like the debate between Waqar and Wasim, the latter could bowl every delivery in the book, yeah sure he was economical but take a look at his strike rate. Hence i choose Waqar all the time despite him travelling a lil bit.

Philander's strength is unrelenting accuracy and seam movement in either direction. Jimmy tends to get carried away and wants to bowl every delivery on the book and loses accuracy/penetration at times, again his strike rate tells the story.

I want batsmen to play as many deliviries against the new ball as possible and Vern gives me that option, he is more accurate than Jimmy. Then you have Steyn who moves it away very late his outswinger is better than Jimmy's to be fair. Thats the best combination for me.

In recent years he hasn't actually done that. Jimmy's bowling was more exciting to watch when he was younger. He had magic balls that just blew people away. Nowadays he bowls a tight line with the ball moving away, and the occasional one going in. Same exact delivery, sometimes moving the line just a bit, then a bit more, then getting the one going to the pads. His SR might be somewhat high, but it makes sense for his bowling. I would contend that he is very accurate. Maybe not penetrating all the time, but safe.

Philander bowls magic balls though.

2 more overs may do it. Where's MG? he's going to miss this historic moment.. :malik

Last edited:
A great or a legend is is when his average is 25, he coukd be an England legend but not a workd legend

Lol him an sgeyn, anyway you have to credit to tge ecb for pwrsisting with him

His average is inflated because of Aussies playing badly... By the time Aussies start dominating he will retire

Just checked and not long to go now unless he takes a wicket, pray to the cloud gods jimmy boy.

The legendary Sir Jimmy. Every time he pulls of a couple of beautiful performances he follows it up with some legendary trundlings. In all fairness this is flat flat flat, which will be confirmed by the customary Clarke double on a flat pitch.

The legendary Sir Jimmy. Every time he pulls of a couple of beautiful performances he follows it up with some legendary trundlings. In all fairness this is flat flat flat, which will be confirmed by the customary Clarke double on a flat pitch.

World class bowlers are able to take pitch out of equation.

LOL he has gone into hiding for a while, probably best as Starc and co will pummel him right now.

Anderson's avergae is comparable to Watto's, (30.03 vs 30.98), Watson isn't even the first change bowler.

Anderson's avergae is comparable to Watto's, (30.03 vs 30.98), Watson isn't even the first change bowler.

If you take whole career into consideration, Anderson does not really rate high, especially for some one used to bowling a lot of bowling friendly English wickets. Those who have begun rating him, are doing do based on his recent 2-3 year record.

Rough day at the office for Jimmy, Worst ever test figures. He'll be back, no worries.

If you take whole career into consideration, Anderson does not really rate high, especially for some one used to bowling a lot of bowling friendly English wickets. Those who have begun rating him, are doing do based on his recent 2-3 year record.

Exactly. But people struggle to grasp this simple idea for some reason.

The only other 2 countries where he averages less than 30 are India and UAE. After that, his best average is 36 in Australia, what an over rated player

take out all matches in England, he averages a mediocre 35

His career is similar to Zaheer Khan. A mediocre beginning with flashes of brilliance and then a few years of very good form, Zaheer averaging 22 odd in 2010 at a S/R of 40.

Before any of you jump in to compare their averages, note that Zak bowled a lot more on spin friendly Indian tracks compared to Jimmy and he was as good as Jimmy on help tracks and averaged 27 odd in England.

His career is similar to Zaheer Khan. A mediocre beginning with flashes of brilliance and then a few years of very good form, Zaheer averaging 22 odd in 2010 at a S/R of 40.

Before any of you jump in to compare their averages, note that Zak bowled a lot more on spin friendly Indian tracks compared to Jimmy and he was as good as Jimmy on help tracks and averaged 27 odd in England.

averages 32 in SA too which is decent. Sir Jimmy averages 38 on the easiest conditions you can bowl in

averages 32 in SA too which is decent. Sir Jimmy averages 38 on the easiest conditions you can bowl in

Could be because SA batsmen are stronger. Steyn averages 21 odd in India but averages 30+ in friendlier English conditions - because the English on the whole are better at tackling pace than Indian batsmen.

Not to mention India drew against Saffers because of Zaheer. Not SRT who ensured a solid run flow along with Gambhir and co., but Zaheer and Harby ensured that India took 20 wickets ensuring a win. Without Zaheer, India would have either lost that series or gotten whitewashed. They were flailing like fish out of water at Centurion before Zaheer came back at Durban.

Both of them average 29.7 outside Asia.

However if we check only away matches outside Asia, Jimmy averages 36.

Last edited:
Anderson is nowhere near Steyn because he doesn't have the pace Steyn possesses. Skill wise I think Anderson is better than Steyn. No doubt though Steyn can achieve plenty of wickets even on flat wickets since he has that pace.

He will stay above 30 by the end of this series, and if he doesn't, well you have a nice juicy pack of Down Under coming your way later this year!

Anderson is world's best bowler right now according to Wasim Akram.
Everyone has their own POW :afridi

He is a honest hard working bowler nothing more.
His pace is nothing special and if the pitch doesnt help him he is no threat.

Its more as a bowling unit they are really good but as said before ENG are missing a 90 mph plus bowler.

Anderson averaging 30.35, has already had a terrible first test with the ball.

I'd say he'll have one game where he takes a ten-fer, followed by two mediocre and one very good game.

His average will still be hovering around 30 though.

It's just one test, considering how well he bowled here 3 years ago it's a bit early to be writing him off.

Back