Khuda Ke Liye (In the Name of God) - A Pakistani movie by Shoaib Mansoor

mamoo gogo said:
What about the US? Do you know if we are getting a theatrical release?

there is no real news about the US but there are strong indications that it will be coming to the US. when? don't know yet. imo, it makes a lot of sense for them to bring it the US considering the numbers.

it's going to the UK for sure. apparently, they're going to do a proper premiere and all including flying in the cast etc.

the only people that might be out of luck are Canadians. but hopefully not.

the movie is supposed to be released in the UK in September/October. so it will be playing in UK cinemas.

ramadhan so will avoid the cinema...ill get the mrs to get it for me when she visits Pakistan in the new year..

Yeh go dance to a Bollywood tune you Mullah. Nassirudin Shah is in the movie did you know?

really?balay balay...fair tay bhangray di zururat hay jee!!...

the Great Khan said:
lol..acha bhai joseph bhai maaf kurdo...hum Mullah haat joartay hain..hamara humour thura sa karva lug raha hay logoan ko...chul asay sahi...b(but i do believe i made my point on gross generalisations of individuals..seems only wazeeri picked up on it..lol)

anyway back to the movie...when is this available on DVD as i doubt it will be opening in any cinema nearby?

yea wazeeri the great satirist that he is..

i just hope it comes to US soon. i havent seen a pakisani movie that was done so professionally, adn where the camera wasnt shaking all the time, there werent any lines in the movie print, and where the colors werent maroon and yellow all the time.

shoman does it again

waqar_ahmad said:
i just hope it comes to US soon. i havent seen a pakisani movie that was done so professionally, adn where the camera wasnt shaking all the time, there werent any lines in the movie print, and where the colors werent maroon and yellow all the time.

shoman does it again

yup. the lighting and the camerawork seems just brilliant.

did you know that Shoman did all the shooting in Alpha Bravo Charlie (where Kashif is in the mountains) with a handheld camera all by himself? they couldn't take a proper crew with them because of logistical and technical issues. so, Shoaib Mansoor did everything himself.

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar said:
yup. the lighting and the camerawork seems just brilliant.

did you know that Shoman did all the shooting in Alpha Bravo Charlie (where Kashif is in the mountains) with a handheld camera all by himself? they couldn't take a proper crew with them because of logistical and technical issues. so, Shoaib Mansoor did everything himself.

r u serious?
man, this guy is truly amazing

waqar_ahmad said:
r u serious?
man, this guy is truly amazing

they couldn't even use the light meters they use to adjust the lighting because of the reflection off the snow. so, Shoman operated the camera himself (because they needed to minimize the number of people) and then, he set the lighting himself based on his estimate. everyone expected the video to be awful, either too dark or too bright. but as those folks who've watched ABC will know, the results were astounding as is expected of Shoman.

the thing about Shoman is that he is a perfectionist. I remember in the "making of" episode of Alpha Bravo Charlie, they showed some outtakes. and then there was this part in which a few jawans are carrying stuff in to setup for the shoot. they keep messing it up and Shoman keeps on telling them to reshoot it. this one time, he told them to do it over because one of the jawans looked into the camera and broke character. now, the thing that was fascinating for me about that reshoot was the guy must have been a 100 meters away from the camera. there is no way you or me could tell that the guy screwed up but Shoman shot the scene over again because he wasn't satisfied and that it wasn't perfect.

his quest for perfection is renowned. I remember the PTV program where people used to write in and ask if the actor playing Captain Kashif (Captain Abdullah) had really lost his limbs because the scenes were so damn realistic. I watched them over and over again trying to figure out the trick. but it seemed really real. then, Capt Abdullah explained how Shoaib Mansoor shot those scenes and how first the soldier who really lost his limbs would lie on the bed and then Abdullah would lay on the same bed. and then Shoaib Mansoor would tinker with Abdullah's body and head position anywhere upto an hour to just get a minute long scene right so that the limbs of the soldier would superimpose perfectly over the actor's body!

Shoman is a master storyteller and a perfectionist. his sense of humour is impeccable. but in terms of technical abilities, he truly has no comparable in Pakistan.

they couldn't even use the light meters they use to adjust the lighting because of the reflection off the snow. so, Shoman operated the camera himself (because they needed to minimize the number of people) and then, he set the lighting himself based on his estimate. everyone expected the video to be awful, either too dark or too bright. but as those folks who've watched ABC will know, the results were astounding as is expected of Shoman.

the thing about Shoman is that he is a perfectionist. I remember in the "making of" episode of Alpha Bravo Charlie, they showed some outtakes. and then there was this part in which a few jawans are carrying stuff in to setup for the shoot. they keep messing it up and Shoman keeps on telling them to reshoot it. this one time, he told them to do it over because one of the jawans looked into the camera and broke character. now, the thing that was fascinating for me about that reshoot was the guy must have been a 100 meters away from the camera. there is no way you or me could tell that the guy screwed up but Shoman shot the scene over again because he wasn't satisfied and that it wasn't perfect.

his quest for perfection is renowned. I remember the PTV program where people used to write in and ask if the actor playing Captain Kashif (Captain Abdullah) had really lost his limbs because the scenes were so damn realistic. I watched them over and over again trying to figure out the trick. but it seemed really real. then, Capt Abdullah explained how Shoaib Mansoor shot those scenes and how first the soldier who really lost his limbs would lie on the bed and then Abdullah would lay on the same bed. and then Shoaib Mansoor would tinker with Abdullah's body and head position anywhere upto an hour to just get a minute long scene right so that the limbs of the soldier would superimpose perfectly over the actor's body!

Shoman is a master storyteller and a perfectionist. his sense of humour is impeccable. but in terms of technical abilities, he truly has no comparable in Pakistan.

that's amazing! The guy seems to have a lot of passion for his work

does anyone know where I can view/get hold off the making of AlphaBravoCharlie?

I have the dvd but the making off ABC is not on there.

any idea what he is working on after khuda ke liye?

The Monk said:
does anyone know where I can view/get hold off the making of AlphaBravoCharlie?

I have the dvd but the making off ABC is not on there.

any idea what he is working on after khuda ke liye?

I saw the "making of" on pakistanvision.com ages ago. I don't even know if the site is up any more or if the videos work. you can check. it started in the second last episode on the site and finished in the last episode. check it out.

there were murmurs that the government wanted him to make a movie on Allama Iqbal. don't know what came of it though.

musharaf announced it last year that he will make the doc on allama iqbal.
there were also some news that he is starting a series on PAF.

i saw Alpha Bravo Charlie, it is my all time favorite pakistani drama serial. a really good storyline, and very well directed. there was no actor in the drama, and yet everyone acted well. credit goes to shoman for gettting the best out of those people

HillRock said:
Since we are discussing 'qabliyat', I think it is necessary to quote exact proverb, not by changing it to your needs. The exact proverb is "Azr-e-Gunah BadTar Az Gunnah" - to make excuse for a sin is worse than committing it.
Well my teachers told me the phrase that I quoted. Though your version makes sense too.

zaf1986 said:
Well my teachers told me the phrase that I quoted. Though your version makes sense too.
Either your teacher taught you wrong or you have forgotten. Your version does not make any sense.

HillRock said:
Either your teacher taught you wrong or you have forgotten. Your version does not make any sense.
Why not? It makes complete sense. The reason for it is that by advertising your sins, you are inadvertedly and indirectly inviting other people to those sins as well. Islam cares about the moral fabric of society and doesn't want people advertising their sins or the sins of other people. Those sins done privately are to remain between you and Allah.

zaf1986 said:
Why not? It makes complete sense. The reason for it is that by advertising your sins, you are inadvertedly and indirectly inviting other people to those sins as well. Islam cares about the moral fabric of society and doesn't want people advertising their sins or the sins of other people. Those sins done privately are to remain between you and Allah.

What a gem. :))) :))) :)))

Please accept your mistake (i.e. don't make a fool of yourself) and don't hijack this thread. Many people on this forum can prove you and your teacher wrong.

Last edited:
HillRock said:
Please accept your mistake and don't hijack this thread.
I'll take that as a "I can't answer this but I won't admit it." And I'll leave it there.

suhaib said:

that was great i watched it all.....i like the scholars point of view

HillRock said:
What a gem. :))) :))) :)))

Please accept your mistake (i.e. don't make a fool of yourself) and don't hijack this thread. Many people on this forum can prove you and your teacher wrong.
Its not my fault your brain is too insecure to accept that the fact that there might be a different opinion to you. Its called democracy. :)

Ok leaving aside all controversies I have to admit that the movie is quite good.

Shan can act.

Shoaib Mansoor is having an affiar with Iman Ali. She is right there in every project he starts.

The ticket for the movie costs 250 ruppees.

Excessive!!!!!!!!

how many families can afford that? An average Pakistani family (6-7 persons) will end up spending something like 2000 Rupees .

This is one of the reasons that movie is not attracting big crowds though it is being shown in only 4-5 cinemas throughout the country.

Ticket price should be around 20-25 Rupees.

Sheraz1977 said:

Excessive!!!!!!!!

how many families can afford that? An average Pakistani family (6-7 persons) will end up spending something like 2000 Rupees .

tell u what an average paksitani family don't watch films "together".
others can affoard it.

Sheraz1977 said:
This is one of the reasons that movie is not attracting big crowds though it is being shown in only 4-5 cinemas throughout the country.

I think atleast 12-13 cinemas are listed only on their website. they may have not mentioned smaller sinemas.
I am not sure if it's been released in Balochistan and NWFP yet.

Sheraz1977 said:

r u serious ? :))) :)))

Asim2Good said:
tell u what an average paksitani family don't watch films "together".
others can affoard it.

The average pakistani family doesn't go to cinemas to watch vulgar movies on Jat/ gujjar badmash. However as topic of this movie is different it has attracted substantial number of families which is an achievement in its own right.

No one from lower middle class and lower class (and these people comprise 90% of Pakistan's population) can afford to watch this movie. The average income in this group isn't more than 4000 rupees per month and keeping in mind the huge amount of inflation going on , anyone from this group can barely afford to waste 250 ruppees on watching 3 hours of a movie in cinema.

Sheraz1977 said:
The average pakistani family doesn't go to cinemas to watch vulgar movies on Jat/ gujjar badmash. However as topic of this movie is different it has attracted substantial number of families which is an achievement in its own right.

No one from lower middle class and lower class (and these people comprise 90% of Pakistan's population) can afford to watch this movie. The average income in this group isn't more than 4000 rupees per month and keeping in mind the huge amount of inflation going on , anyone from this group can barely afford to waste 250 ruppees on watching 3 hours of a movie in cinema.

as I said earlier, most families can affoard this much of money, it's not big deal anymore.
and for 4,000/month income family, for these families I said, they don't watch movie together. one youngster (from that type family) ll go to cinema, othe family memebers ll watch at home if they want to.

Sheraz1977 said:

Excessive!!!!!!!!

get your facts right goof, 250 is being charged at dha cinema only, and anyone in dha can afford that easily, the price goes down as low as 100 on mall road,

the movie is not attracting big crowds. :))) is that a joke or something,

and i will not even comment on your last sentance.

Excessive!!!!!!!!
I think these are the cinema walas charging whatever they feel like. There seems to be no set rates. Probably because the quality of theaters may be too different

suhaib said:
get your facts right goof, 250 is being charged at dha cinema only, and anyone in dha can afford that easily, the price goes down as low as 100 on mall road,

the movie is not attracting big crowds. :))) is that a joke or something,

and i will not even comment on your last sentance.

Learn to argue in a dignified manner.

It is very easy to abuse others hiding behind a computer.

Considering your immature age i let this pass unnoticed.

Sheraz1977 said:

Excessive!!!!!!!!

you are kidding right?

The movie is not attracting big crowds? Are you sure you are talking about the same film? Because KKL has been advance bookings at at least 15 cinemas around the country and is selling out over and over and over again.

By the way, Iman Ali is not having an affair with Shoaib Mansoor, however much you may fantastise about it.

What's the release date on this movie? My entire family, except for me, but even me know, is looking forward to this.

Sheraz1977 said:
Learn to argue in a dignified manner.

It is very easy to abuse others hiding behind a computer.

Considering your immature age i let this pass unnoticed.

i'm arguing with you :31: ,dude im telling you to get your facts right and stop spreading false information, just cos you dnt like the film (and that to without seeing it) you dnt need to spread false information on it, we get your point, your against it, its making you look immature, not me.

so dude, get your facts right.
the film is a major hit and drawing big crowds all over pakistan, and yes all families can afford it, and lastly shoaib monsoor is not having an affair with iman ali.

I'm sorry but...

gay.jpg

has gone well past it's sell by date..

Hash said:
you are kidding right?

The movie is not attracting big crowds? Are you sure you are talking about the same film? Because KKL has been advance bookings at at least 15 cinemas around the country and is selling out over and over and over again.

By the way, Iman Ali is not having an affair with Shoaib Mansoor, however much you may fantastise about it.

The movie has so far failed to attract big crowds.

Only on weekends there are large crowds in cinemas to watch it.

As for Iman Ali & Shoaib Mansoor, surely u must be very intimate with them to claim all this with such great surity.

Awesome Anjum said:
How random, Salman!

Just sick of coming onto TP every morning and seeing this same thread hovering on top for the last 2/3 weeks or so...

Sheraz1977 said:

As for Iman Ali & Shoaib Mansoor, surely u must be very intimate with them to claim all this with such great surity.

1. The movie has attracted huge crowds. It is selling out all over the country.

2. Take it as you want, but I can assure you those two are not having an affair.

Sheraz1977 said:

Excessive!!!!!!!!

Load of crap this post.

Prices vary from cinema to cinema. The better cinemas are obviously more expensive than other ones. You have any link/source for your figures on what 90% of Pakistanis earn or did you just make that up? Oh you made it up, what a surprise.

Sheraz1977 said:

the last i heard was last week that the film has all shows booked till mid august.

the film collected 1.4 crores from just 10 cinemas in its first week, thats 100% collections.

saying kkl is failing to attract big crowds is a joke, you surly have been talking about a different film throughout this thread.

does anyone know when DVD is coming out?
or they ll release DVD after overseas relase in cinemas ?

The hatred for people who follow islam is not something that is acceptable for me.

....and yet you have a soft spot fot the Taliban and their mullahs! Do you know that the Mullahs and their brainwashed Taliban have spread more hated towards Islam then any other group or institution. Do you know that these mullahs and the Taliban have cut the throats of innocent muslims just because they did not subscribe to the same distored version of Islam as them.

You my friend come across as being very confused.

Salman said:
I'm sorry but...

gay.jpg

has gone well past it's sell by date..

thanks for your very mature response.

if some posters insist on posting about everything except for the movie, I don't see how that is the thread's fault. these folks need to be told to stay on topic and if they're not then mods (like you) need to edit/delete/penalize posts/posters to get them back in line. but of course, that would be the logical thing to do.

Salman said:
Just sick of coming onto TP every morning and seeing this same thread hovering on top for the last 2/3 weeks or so...

I can say with all honesty that I feel much the same about your threads. mistakenly ventured into one much to my horror and told myself never again.

Last edited:
The breakdown of business of Khuda Kay Liye all over Pakistan during the 1st week of release:

Total first week business :1 crore,7 lakh, 96 thousand, 256 rupees. Some papers have quoted a figure of 1 crore 20 lakhs.

The previous record was 68 lakhs by Yeh Dil Aap Ka Huwa.

The film has been released in 9 Cinemas in the Punjab and 4 Cinemas in Sind. No figures are available for the other two provinces.

78 lakh business was done in the Punjab and about 28 lakh business was done in Sind.

The most business was done at the Prince Cinema, Karachi, 23 lakh, 71 thousand and 350 rupees. At the Cinepax the business was 2 lakh, 25 thousand and 500 rupees.

At the Bombino Cinema in Hyderabad the business was 3 lakh, 37 thousand and 164 rupees. At Tasveer Mehal, MirpurKhas the figures are 42,640 rupees.

At the Gulistan Cinema in Lahore the business was 17 lakh, 18 thousand and 270 rupees. At Sozoworld the figures are 16 lakh,82 thousand and 250 rupees. At the DHA cinema the business was 15 lakh, 20 thousand and 250 rupees. (Every impressive figures from Lahore)

Business of over 50 Lakh from just Lahore. Brilliant!

Business from other cities of Punjab:

Kashmir Mehal Gujranwala 5,11650 rupees

Carpri Multan 6,50570 rupees

Faisal Cinema Gujrat 1,93080 rupees

Parwana Cinema Sialkot 2,16300 rupees

Taj Mehal Faislabad 11,88400 rupees

Shaheen Cinema Sargodha 1,38665 rupees

information taken from numerous newspapers

http://www.inthenameofgod.com/images/press_releases/29_07_20 07/29awam_kar.jpg

according to a number of newspapers the film could have released in alot more cinemas and cities if it wasnt for the bad political situation in the country and could have grossed more then 2 crores in its first week, In a city like Karachi with a population of well over 13 million the film gets released at just one main Cinema. its quite suprising to see a film like this just release on 9 prints and even more suprising is that it didnt release in isl,pindi, quetta or pesharwar, alot of people in punjab and sindh havnt still seen the film as they fear a bomb blast, this film could have easily grossed more then 2 crores in its first week, i think they released it at a bad time.

Last edited:
thanks for your very mature response.

if some posters insist on posting about everything except for the movie, I don't see how that is the thread's fault. these folks need to be told to stay on topic and if they're not then mods (like you) need to edit/delete/penalize posts/posters to get them back in line. but of course, that would be the logical thing to do.

I can say with all honesty that I feel much the same about your threads. mistakenly ventured into one much to my horror and told myself never again.

each to their own my friend, although you seem quite offended, anyhow appoligies...

BTW, please note, i've never to date claimed to be a Mod... pls don't give me scary titles like that in the future...

suhaib said:
even more suprising is that it didnt release in isl,pindi, quetta or pesharwar, alot of people in punjab and sindh havnt still seen the film as they fear a bomb blast, this film could have easily grossed more then 2 crores in its first week, i think they released it at a bad time.

It DID release in Pindi.

suhaib said:
the film gets a dozen of good reviews and then a bad one comes and things are not looking good anymore :))) :)) :)))

btw. link doesnt even work

:))) :))) :))) :)))

If you guys wanna argue something meaningful then don't just post your pictures laying around on the ground. Just tell where he is wrong and why.

Last edited by a moderator:
HillRock said:
Just tell where he is wrong and why.

few points I can remember from his review

1 : he complains abt budget and film have not reaches masses of country. 1st of all budget is not his problem and he should know cinemas are that much of trend in Paksitan in last few years and it's not Shoaib Mansoor's fault.
2 : he complains of models/new comers doing acting and he said they did bad job. while on other all reviews, writers have appreciated these newcomers/modle work most.
3 : he complains abt Shaan (a 42 yrs old in real life) playing a role of 28yr old youngster, oh well as it never had happened before.
4 : he complains abt short appearence of Nassir-ud-Din Shah without knowing that he had Guest Apperence in movie in every movie, guest appearence does a short role. and in first line, he ranks Shah very high as an actor , but in same sentence, he calls his acting in movie his worst ever. but most other writers, Shah's court scene is heart of movie.
5 : he simply jsut said music is bad,, without giving reasons. But instead went on to attack lyrics of other pop singers.

Asim2Good said:
few points I can remember from his review

1 : he complains abt budget and film have not reaches masses of country. 1st of all budget is not his problem and he should know cinemas are that much of trend in Paksitan in last few years and it's not Shoaib Mansoor's fault.
2 : he complains of models/new comers doing acting and he said they did bad job. while on other all reviews, writers have appreciated these newcomers/modle work most.
3 : he complains abt Shaan (a 42 yrs old in real life) playing a role of 28yr old youngster, oh well as it never had happened before.
4 : he complains abt short appearence of Nassir-ud-Din Shah without knowing that he had Guest Apperence in movie in every movie, guest appearence does a short role. and in first line, he ranks Shah very high as an actor , but in same sentence, he calls his acting in movie his worst ever. but most other writers, Shah's court scene is heart of movie.
5 : he simply jsut said music is bad,, without giving reasons. But instead went on to attack lyrics of other pop singers.
Since I have not seen the movie, I cann say much about it except your points 3. I think, Shan should be the last actor in this role.
In your point 5, you are mixing 2 things, songs of movie and concept of music in Islam. Though I think music is Ok, it is neither bad nor fantastic.

HillRock said:
Since I have not seen the movie, I cann say much about it except your points 3. I think, Shan should be the last actor in this role.
In your point 5, you are mixing 2 things, songs of movie and concept of music in Islam. Though I think music is Ok, it is neither bad nor fantastic.

why Shaan should b last person ?
but check out what writer is saying abt music as well :happySwit

Asim2Good said:
why Shaan should b last person ?
but check out what writer is saying abt music as well :happySwit
Do you really think he is fit for 27 years old character?
And about music I am not agreeing with the author. Posting his column does not mean I agree with him 100%.

HillRock said:
Do you really think he is fit for 27 years old character?
And about music I am not agreeing with the author. Posting his column does not mean I agree with him 100%.

as I said earlier, it's common thing to happen in any film industry.
main thing is subject of movie which writer simple finishes it by calling it "joke and failed medium"

Well, its a review nonetheless, they are usually very random depending from person to person and he is enititled to his opinion.

Asim2Good said:
as I said earlier, it's common thing to happen in any film industry.
main thing is subject of movie which writer simple finishes it by calling it "joke and failed medium"
Yes, it is common in Pakistan film industry but that is not what we expect from shoman.

The thing is some shoman fans expected from him a lot more than he delivered. Thats why they are somehow seem to be disappointed.

Last edited:
HillRock said:
Yes, it is common in Pakistan film industry but that is not what we expect from shoman.

The thing is some shoman fans expected from him a lot more than he delivered. Thats why they are somehow seems to be disappointed.

not only in Pakistani movie, but most of film industries.
seems to me that most ppl are happy with movie and they got more than what they were expecting (on basis of other review of movie)
this review is not a proper way of writing a movie review. I am sure many PPers would write better review of movie (even they don't like movie)

Asim2Good said:
not only in Pakistani movie, but most of film industries.
seems to me that most ppl are happy with movie and they got more than what they were expecting (on basis of other review of movie)
this review is not a proper way of writing a movie review. I am sure many PPers would write better review of movie (even they don't like movie)
:20: I leave it there.

Another good review and discussion on Ali Eteraz's blog:

Little Movie Defending Art and Music Making Big Splash in Pakistan

Film is called In the name of God. It is also called Khuda kay Liye. It is directed by Shoaib Mansoor.

Hitting the mullahs back hard. I hope some of the punch hits our vainglorious Western fundos as well. In an email I get:

It was reported today by BBC that a teacher from Jamia Binoria (of course) has moved the provincial high court to ban the exhibition of the movie based on a line that one of the characters of the movie delivers. The objectionable sentence is, “how can I believe that God hates painting and music?” The plaintiff in the case has submitted multiple fatwas to the court maintaining that painting and music are forbidden in Islam.

Interestingly the mullahs won’t be winning this round. The email adds:

Interestingly, the judge has asked the plaintiff to prove his case without the help of fatwas. The trouble is, Ahadith abound banning almost every type of art.

This means that the mullahs will make a completely hadith-centric argument since there is nothing about banning art or music in the Quran.

Read the review below. It appears that the film gives a shout out to Javed Ahmed Ghamidi.

Teaser 2 on the website is hot. The line says: “If God is as you say he is, then he won’t give a damn about your prayers if you are hurtful to people.” That reminds me of a line from Bulleh Shah from Eq Nuqte Vich Gul Muqdi Eh:

Break down the mosques/Break down the temples/Just don’t, please, break down the hearts of people.

If you want to watch the film internationally, express your support to Geo Films by emailing this guy:

Rehmat.Fazli@geo.tv

One irony in this whole thing is that a lot of fundos got behind Geo TV after Musharraf purportedly bombed their station in Islamabad. Now, our glorious conservative brethren, full of true Islamic principle, will assuredly be giving up all their support of Geo and lambasting it for being un-Islamic. With guardians of the religion like this, no wonder Islam is doing so well.

Painting and music are not forbidden in Islam. I seem to recall the Prophet leaving a PAINTING OF MARY AND JESUS INSIDE THE KABA UP after conquering Mecca. Can someone do some research and paste the relevant religious authority in the comments, not just for this episode but anything relevant. Thanks.

Update 1:

The lead singer of the band Vital Signs is behind this film. [Spoiler Warning]

One recent evening, long past midnight, Hyatt sat in his home studio in Karachi, facing an array of flat-screen monitors, Roland keyboards, and various mixers. He wanted to share a few rough scenes from Khuda Kay Liye. “The big taboo subject is that, according to the fundamentalists, music is absolutely prohibited in Islam. This movie makes a major argument against that. There is no law that says Islam is against music,” he said. “There is such massive hypocrisy behind this mullahism. They somehow know all the lyrics to all the popular songs, but they still say music is corrupting.”

He played the film’s final scene, in which the main character, after a sort of epiphany, returns to the radical mullah’s mosque. This time, he is wearing jeans, a T-shirt, and a baseball cap. He spins his hat backward and belts out the azan, the call to prayer. “He’s saying to this mullah: ‘You can’t take over our faith!’” Hyatt explained. While the refrain “Allahu” echoes, a clubby beat starts up underneath. “I think it’s artistic work, but it is impossible to tell how these guys are going to react, whether they will find certain things offensive or not.”

By the way, the now dead leader of Lal Masjid opposed this film.

By the way, true fobs will know that Shoaib Mansoor is the guy who wrote what is essentially Pakistan’s second national anthem: Dil Dil Pakistan (it’s coming back now isn’t it fobs? Jaan Jaan Pakistan!)

Update 2: Pakistaniat has a review of the film. [Minor Spoiler Warning]

Given the standing ovation the film is getting in theatres all over Pakistan from rich and poor alike, one can safely say that I am not the only one. For one thing it is a uniquely Pakistani story, which could have only come out of Pakistan. To sum it up, it is about us - the people of Pakistan warts and all- take it or leave it.

The genius of Shoaib Mansoor was never in doubt for those who have seen his videos or for that matter the famous Alpha Bravo Charlie - the TV Drama on Pakistan Army. What I was unprepared for was the depth in his thought and the way he has managed to capture the Pakistani dilemma on screen. Ours is a complex and rich predicament which needs to be captured in all its nuances and appreciated in all its paradoxical colors. KKL did just that.

I went to the theatre expecting to see the same old liberal v. fundo arguments. There were those, but unlike how these arguments play out in “The Friday Times” and the “Nawai Waqt“, this remarkable film is fully conscious of its Pakistani identity and the strong Islamic component that forms part thereof.

At the risk of spoiling it for those who haven’t seen it, this is the story of two brothers, Mansoor (played by Shaan) and Sarmad (played by theatre actor/musician Fawad of EP fame) both musicians, brought in a well to do Pakistani family. Mansoor and Sarmad are torn apart by the latter’s increased involvement with a certain Maulana Taheri (based most probably on Maulana Sami ul Haq of JUI-S component of the MMA), who turns the soft spoken Sarmad into full fledge Jehadi.

Things are complicated when the brothers’ cousin Mary arrives from London to spend a few days with them, only to discover that she has been tricked by her father into coming to Pakistan to avoid her marrying her Non-Muslim boyfriend Dave. Meanwhile Mansoor leaves for Chicago to enrol at the “School of Music” there. In an epic that switches from London to Lahore to Waziristan to Nangahar Afghanistan to Chicago, these ordinary Pakistanis are increasingly faced with both internal and external conflict. And then there is September 11.

Shoaib Mansoor does not miss a beat, he does not leave any stones unturned. While all characters have more or less the same significance in this plot, it is Mansoor who is at the centre of it: Mansoor who is a proud Pakistani and secure in his Muslim identity, Mansoor who warns Sarmad against extremism, Mansoor who puts the best Muslim and Pakistani foot forward, Mansoor who is abducted by FBI in the middle of the night and beaten and tortured to a pulp, humiliated and abused for being a Pakistani and a Muslim. He is the contrast to Sher Shah and Maulana Taheri. But there are contrasts on the other side as well… Jenny who loves Mansoor for being Mansoor, his classmates who spontaneously join in when Mansoor performs his “music from Pakistan”, his African American professor… all stand in contrast to the American torturers of Mansoor.

The dialogue reaches a fever pitch in a court room in Lahore, where Mary is engaged in a prolonged legal battle. Enter the Bollywood star Naseeruddin Shah. He plays the character of a long bearded progressive Islamic scholar (probably based on Maulana Ahmed Javed and Allama Javed Ahmed Ghamidi of Lahore). In what would be the localised version of “Inherit the wind” Courtroom drama, he engages Maulana Taheri and his coterie in an argument on Islamic law and Islamic dress code.

“There is beard in religion, but no religion in beard,”

declares Shah, adding that

“Two men who did the greatest service to Islam in Pakistan, Mahomed Ali Jinnah and Allama Iqbal, did so without a beard and out of the so called Islamic dresscode, in western dress.”

It was on this line that the entire hall filled with applause. Islam - the universal faith - has no uniform. This lays the stage for the final scene- the most poignant scene of the movie, filmed in Lahore’s beautiful Wazir Khan Mosque- the scene which once again made a Muslim out of me. I’ll let you watch it yourself to understand what I am talking about.

16 Comments

Too many times I face Muslim retards who question me of how I can be a music producer and how I dare to play stringed musical instruments. I remember a few years back when I was a kid my dad’s friend, saw me and my friends playing guitar in the park. Next day he immediately went to report the HUGE sin to my dad. Thankfully my dad told him to buzz off. Ever since then I did lots of research on the issue. This is an excellent link I found.

http://www.mynaraps.com/music.htm

Comment by Drima — August 1, 2007 @ 8:45 pm

Wow, I love your enthusiasm :) It really sounds like a great movie. Does it have English sub-titles?

Ya Haqq!

Comment by Irving — August 1, 2007 @ 9:54 pm

When the Prophet (pbuh) finally entered Mecca, the Ka’bah was purified of all idols and every vestige of paganism. The heaviest and largest of the idols, Hubal, was demolished by Ali. Images inscribed on the walls of the Ka’bah were erased, but icons of the Virgin Mary and Jesus were spared. The Prophet (pbuh) put his hands on them to insure their protection. Allowances were made for images that were symbols of spiritual realities and not idols.

From Islamic Spirituality by Sayyed Hossein Nasr.

Comment by Irving — August 1, 2007 @ 10:10 pm

I don’t want to judge this movie before seeing it. But I do see a trend to glorify the secular muslims - i.e., the girl from London who is marrying “Dave” and Mansoor who “Jenny” loves. So apparently anyone whose got a non-muslim romantic association are the ones who are acceptable muslims.

Comment by sophister — August 2, 2007 @ 10:04 am

If by - “Two men who did the greatest service to Islam in Pakistan, Mahomed Ali Jinnah and Allama Iqbal, did so without a beard and out of the so called Islamic dresscode, in western dress.” - they are alluding to the creation of Pakistan, a separate nation [sic] carved out of India only on the basis of Islam [talk about “it” coming back to bite your behind], wouldn’t that make those gents fundamentalists as well. albeit, of sartorially elegant and linguistically sophisticated sort. end of the day - same diff!

Comment by Nusrat — August 2, 2007 @ 10:38 am

Irving - Indian occupied Kashmir, where I was born and raised, is filled with breath taking ancient Hindu temples, some of which even predate the birth of Islam.
I have always wondered, what If Prophet Muhammad came back tomorrow - would he advoctae the destruction of these idol filled temples?

Comment by Nusrat — August 2, 2007 @ 10:46 am

Jinnah at least didn’t want to create Pakistan “only on the basis of Islam”, unless you consider Islam to be the same as British common law, constitutionalism, plus a few references here and there to Muslim heritage (I’m perhaps exagerating). In his own words:

If we want to make this great State of Pakistan happy and prosperous we should wholly and solely concentrate on the well-being of the people, and especially of the masses and the poor… you are free- you are free to go to your temples mosques or any other place of worship in this state of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion, caste or creed that has nothing to do with the business of the state… in due course of time Hindus will cease to be Hindus and Muslims will cease to Muslims- not in a religious sense for that is the personal faith of an individual- but in a political sense as citizens of one state

And though Iqbal was more vocal about wanting “Islam” to be the basis of the state, take a look at his Islam — not fundy by a long shot!

Comment by DanielH — August 2, 2007 @ 2:33 pm

Daniel - If not only Islam, than on what basis did Jinnah demand a separate country?
And, If Jinnah was such a great leader, how come he didn’t foresee the lot that was to follow his demise, which he knew would come calling close on the heels of independence?

Comment by Nusrat — August 2, 2007 @ 2:51 pm

Daniel, My son [Daniel:)] and his father are runnig amok in our puny New York apartment [God, do I ever miss Kashmir!] and I can barely hear myself think. Thus the repeat query in my previous comment. Do disregard.
What I meant to say was that such declaration didn’t even carry the value of the paper it was written on and deep down Jinnah, If he was halfway conniving as alleged, must have known it?

Comment by Nusrat — August 2, 2007 @ 3:07 pm

He wanted a separate state for Muslim majority regions of India. That in no way necessitates Islam as the essential, or even a major, organizing principle for the state. You have confused identity and ideology.

As to Jinnah’s ability and vision: no one, including him, has perfect prescience. Further, he died a little after a year after Pakistan’s founding — certainly not much time to help steer Pakistan’s future course.

Moreover, Pakistan is far from being a basket case. It has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and a per capita income not far behind that of India, and, not least, its population contains many bright and well-educated people. Finally, it may be nearing the point of redemocratization.

Comment by DanielH — August 2, 2007 @ 3:24 pm

“And, If Jinnah was such a great leader, how come he didn’t foresee the lot that was to follow his demise, which he knew would come calling close on the heels of independence?”

Nusrat — how do you know Muslims would have fared better in a unified India? Jinnah was motivated much more by a concern for the welfare of Muslims than by any strict religious ideal — specifically, he worried of discrimination against Muslims in a Hindu dominated state. Sometimes great statesmanship demands choosing the lesser of two possible evils instead of waiting for the impossible good.

Comment by DanielH — August 2, 2007 @ 3:49 pm

“I don’t want to judge this movie before seeing it. But I do see a trend to glorify the secular muslims - i.e., the girl from London who is marrying “Dave” and Mansoor who “Jenny” loves. So apparently anyone whose got a non-muslim romantic association are the ones who are acceptable muslims.”

dude, it has nothing to do with acceptable or not. watch the film, ok?

and if u live in pakistan you’ll quickly realize that the distinction western muzzies have in their head about secular/religious is completely bunk.

Comment by eteraz — August 2, 2007 @ 8:57 pm

Daniel - Muslims in a Hindu majority Democratic [for most part] India would have fared just as well or better than Hindus, who were ruled by Muslims for more than six centuries.

And, best of all, Kashmir would have had a fighting chance of staying independent and secular.
We would not have been invaded, first by Pakistani Terrorists, who in their zeal to further Islamicize Kashmir, targetted [ for murder and rape] and expelled - The Entire - indigenous Kashmiri Hindu population from our midst, and then occupied by the thuggish Indian Army.

Comment by Nusrat — August 3, 2007 @ 6:44 am

eteraz,
i will watch the film just to see what all the fuss is about. And it is true that the distinctions we draw here do not have have analogs in Pakistan. Magar line thee, cross hogai.

Comment by sophister — August 3, 2007 @ 8:46 am

Just for the fun of it…the shair by bulleh shah in punjabi:

masjid tah deh mandir tah deh
tah deh jo kuch tehnda
ek banday da dil na taavien
Rab udhay wich hi rehnda

Comment by anonymous — August 4, 2007 @ 5:40 pm

musicx is haraam in islam so this mkovie is misleading and is antiislam
prophet pbuh said in a hadeeth

Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet said, what translated means, group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine.” They said, “Do not they testify that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?” He said, “Yes. And also they fast pray and perform Hajj.” They said, “Then, what is their problem?” He said, “They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun, In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allaah) into monkeys and swine.” [Iughathat Al-Lahfan].

Comment by kashif — August 5, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

I finally got my hands on a copy of this movie and considering there is no Canadian release planned, I couldn't resist and ended up watching it.

My overall reaction to the movie: Good, not great. But considering it's a Pakistani movie (not to mention the sensitivity of the subject matter), that's saying something.

The first thing popped out to me was , unsurprisingly, Shoaib Mansoor's undeniable talent in film making. I have heard much talk about this guy and this was my first experience of his work and I have to say His talent in film making really shows through. No matter what I think of the plot, the acting, the subject matter, or whatever, I will first say that the movie was directed very well. Not just "I was into the story and nothing in the film making me distracted me for that" but the exceptional camera work and cinematography was actually noticeable. You just got a feeling of professionalism from the whole thing. And that was great to see.

I wasn't very impressed with the quality of acting. Iman Ali's fake British accent was annoying at first but thankfully it got better as the movie went along. All the actors were average at best. However,Naseer-ud-din was in a league of his own. He was the only actor which I didn't think of as acting. He was simply very good in playing his small role in the movie. All the other actors I got a sense of "wow, this isn't a good scene for this guy" from time to time but not Naseer-ud-din.

Now, the subject matter. After all the hype and news that this movie created, I can't say there was much I didn't expect. What I will say though is that the overwhelming approval of reviews of this film raised my expectations as far as Shoaib Mansoor's ability to walk the very thin line that he had to walk in order to deal with this topic. While he didn't quite do it as well as I had hoped, he still pulled it off fairly well. It was obvious that he was trying to send a message. But in doing so he vilified some people which didn't necessarily deserve it. That being said, I appreciated that despite Mansoor's obvious intent of sending a strong message, he made sure to throw in little snippets to add balance and not seem totally biased (smart move because this actually raised his credibility in my eyes).

My biggest complaint about this movie was the 9/11 racial profiling plot line. It all just seemed way too exaggerated and simplistic. I got the feeling that this subplot was being used to fill in the gaps between the main story line. It didn't really feel like part of the movie.

So overall, a good experience. There was a certain pride (not sure if that's the right word) in watching this movie knowing it was Pakistani and seeing how professionally it was crafted. I just wish this sort of hype could have been created by a Pakistani movie that didn't revolve around the whole terrorist plot line.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up Kablooee, interesting reading.

Personally I thought by Pakistani standards the film is magnificent. By international standards, it is a good film. I thought the actors did a better job than Kablooee is giving them credit for. Especially Iman Ali I thought was excellent. In the Naseeruddin Shah scene she was world class.....nobody in the world would have done a better job than her there, her facial expressions, her emotions......it looked real.

its even made its way to the newsweek

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20299883/site/newsweek/

Defying the Fatwa
Amid cleric-issued fatwas and tight security, a controversial new Pakistani film is breaking box-office records.

By Fasih Ahmed
Newsweek
Updated: 1:19 p.m. ET Aug. 16, 2007
Aug. 16, 2007 - Fatwas and Islamist fury have not deterred Pakistani audiences from queuing up in record numbers for "Khuda Kay Liye" ("In the Name of God"), a slickly packaged three-hour-long polemic that is riling the mullahs and has become the Pakistani film industry's biggest blockbuster, counting even Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, among its fans.

A musical, "In the Name of God" opened in Karachi and Lahore on July 20, amid tight security. Weeks earlier, the radical cleric and Red Mosque leader Abdul Rashid Ghazi had issued a fatwa against the film and its makers. And though Ghazi was one of more than 50 killed in the mosque assault in early July, copycat clerics continue to make the filmmakers and cinema-owners nervous. Fearing the worst, the film's writer and director, Shoaib Mansoor, has taken an extended vacation with his family outside Pakistan. And cinemas like Lahore's DHA—located in a tony military-run neighborhood—are secured by armed sentinels, with ticketholders having to pass through metal detectors.

The film itself is heavy on message and touches on a number of taboo topics: marital rape, forced marriage and jihad, tapping into Pakistan's anti-mullah mood as well as the customary popular disenchantment with the United States. Its plot centers on two brothers, one who goes from jeans-wearing musician to jihad-fighting fanatic; the other, arrested in Chicago after 9/11, is tortured into paralysis by U.S. interrogators.

Despite the controversy, "In the Name of God" has created such a buzz that the injunctions against it are largely being ignored; it's selling out movie houses across the country, and it’s being credited with the revival of Lollywood, as Pakistan's film industry is called. Playing on 11 screens in 10 cities (including cinemas either run by the military or situated in Army cantonments), it has prompted debate on Islam on talk shows and op-ed pages and is breaking box-office records: it took in $180,000 in its opening weekend and grossed $500,000 in its first three weeks—good cues, considering the film was Lollywood’s most expensive production ever, at $3.5 million. It's slated for release in the United States, Britain and India in the coming months. "It's heroic for the population to want to see this film," says Mir Ibrahim Rehman, who heads the GEO TV Network, the Pakistani media conglomerate that produced the film. "We didn't want to make a popcorn film. We wanted this film to prompt a dialogue and discussion." If its popularity is any indication, they've got an impressive start.

© 2007 Newsweek, Inc.

They've grossed $500,000 in three weeks and it cost $3.5 million to make? Sounds like it's got a long way to go to pull even.

kablooee87 said:
They've grossed $500,000 in three weeks and it cost $3.5 million to make? Sounds like it's got a long way to go to pull even.

Hopefully it would do good business outside Pakistan as well, once it is released (don't know when?)

It would be interesting to see if this movie will result in any other interesting movies being made in Pakistan, even if it is only every now and then. There are no educated people in Pakistan movie business, so this movie just might attract some people of substance to the scene. We can only hope

I wanna see this in theatres in the US but its not anywhere. I guess I'll just have to watch it online off SunZara.

Oops!

PakPassionate said:
i already watch on cinema :)
orginal DVD available in Rainbow center karachi for ruppes 150

:D

So the DVD is out already? That's a lot sooner than I thought. Any idea when it will come to Islamabad or Pindi? My parents want to see the film but they don't want to go to a cinema amongst the hooting, staring and farting.

Back