Lawyer Jibran Nasir returns home almost 24 hours after being ‘picked up’

SalimBhai

First Class Player
Runs
Has been kidnapped by people dressed in civilian clothes.

==

Lawyer and rights activist Jibran Nasir has been "picked up by unidentified men" in Karachi, his wife Mansha Pasha told Dawn.com late Thursday night.

Pasha said they were coming home after dinner around 11pm when they were intercepted. "Around 15 men in plain clothes with pistols surrounded our vehicle and took Jibran forcefully," she said in a video message, requesting for prayers for his recovery. They only kept yelling at us to get out of the car and offered no explanation, she added.

"A white colour Toyota Hilux/Vigo having registered No BF 4356 intercepted and hit our car from the front left side and forced us to stop near Ideal Bakery on 26th Street, Defence Phase 5, Karachi," she narrated in the complaint, a copy of which is available with Dawn.com. The complaint has yet to be filed.

"Another vehicle, a silver Corolla, blocked our vehicle from behind and as such, we were surrounded. Some 15 people along with weapons came out from the vehicles in civil clothes and forced my husband to get out of the car, manhandling him towards the subject vehicle. They then abducted him and took him away and his whereabouts are unknown till now."

She asked for "immediate action for his swift release" and action against those "who abducted my husband".

Nasir, who contested the 2018 general elections from Karachi as an independent candidate, has been vocal in his criticism of the recent state crackdown on the PTI as well as the legal process involving those who allegedly took part in the riots. He was listed in 2013 by the Foreign Policy Magazine amongst three Pakistanis doing inspirational work against sectarian violence.

Last week, senior journalist Sami Abraham was taken away by unidentified men in Islamabad and returned home six days later. His brother Ali Raza had filed a complaint of abduction at Aabpara Police Station. Meanwhile, anchorperson Imran Riaz Khan, who was arrested on May 11 from Sialkot airport by law-enforcement agencies on charges of hate speech after violent protests erupted countrywide in the wake of PTI chief Imran Khan’s arrest and then picked up by 'unknown persons' upon release, is still missing.

'Extremely disturbing, condemnable'
As news of Nasir being 'picked up' spread, members of the civil society as well as rights organisations raised concerns for his safety and called for his immediate recovery.

DAWN

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have decided to file a Rs 15 Billion Defamation Suit, against Chairman, NAB. I have served Legal Notice upon him.<br><br>My Arrest Warrant was issued on a public holiday and was kept in secrecy for eight days. I was not informed about conversion of Al-Qadir Trust Case Inquiry into…</p>— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1664484777133744129?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He criticised the current crackdown and harassment of PTI workers.

For those who don't know, Jibran is a fearless human rights campaigner who has always championed the causes of the poor and downtrodden. A man who has stood firmly against terrorism, extremism and intolerance. He also represented Shahzeb Khan who was murdered by a feudal's son Shahrukh Jatoi. This led him to being called 'a qadyani' following a virulent campaign by Bol News since the TV channel had very close links with the feudal family. This was at a time when many lawyers refused to take up Shehzeb's case.

Recently, he is fighting a case against Jam Karim, the PPP lawmaker, who murdered a man for filming the MNA and his Arab guests hunting houbara bustards. Despite many threats, this man has refused to back down. A man of steel.

He is my favourite Pakistani alongside Syed Muzammil and Hoodbhoy. I hope he is released.

He criticised the current crackdown and harassment of PTI workers.

For those who don't know, Jibran is a fearless human rights campaigner who has always championed the causes of the poor and downtrodden. A man who has stood firmly against terrorism, extremism and intolerance. He also represented Shahzeb Khan who was murdered by a feudal's son Shahrukh Jatoi. This led him to being called 'a qadyani' following a virulent campaign by Bol News since the TV channel had very close links with the feudal family. This was at a time when many lawyers refused to take up Shehzeb's case.

Recently, he is fighting a case against Jam Karim, the PPP lawmaker, who murdered a man for filming the MNA and his Arab guests hunting houbara bustards. Despite many threats, this man has refused to back down. A man of steel.

He is my favourite Pakistani alongside Syed Muzammil and Hoodbhoy. I hope he is released.

Case Closed.

PTI fans used to hate this gy and made fun of him that he stood against PTI candidate. Now all of a sudden for their own politics they will show concern.

ANyways, i care for the guy as he is from left wing

PTI fans used to hate this gy and made fun of him that he stood against PTI candidate. Now all of a sudden for their own politics they will show concern.

Yes. PTI needs to realise that when the chips are down, only human rights activists come to the rescue and stand up for justice. This man was brutally trolled for his stance on women, religion and politics.

Someone (another one) has been kidnapped in your country - you should

1. Be ashamed
2. Concerned.

Yes. PTI needs to realise that when the chips are down, only human rights activists come to the rescue and stand up for justice. This man was brutally trolled for his stance on women, religion and politics.

exactly.

This is why I cant support PTI

Any person who holds any degree of clout and has ounce of humanity left in them to call out wrongs that is happening in the country is now a target. Jibran Nasir might be the start of purge that will now head towards activists, lawyers, celebs and others.

plz tell me which internal affairs seat PPP has ?

Do you not feel any problem in empathizing with someone who has been kidnapped?

All I see from you in these threads is "yeh what about the other one" type comments.

Very disappointing, especially from someone who is so close to the ground in Pakistan.

These are your people being victimized - you should be able to contribute properly in these threads.

Do you not feel any problem in empathizing with someone who has been kidnapped?

All I see from you in these threads is "yeh what about the other one" type comments.

Very disappointing, especially from someone who is so close to the ground in Pakistan.

These are your people being victimized - you should be able to contribute properly in these threads.

i do have empathy for Jibran Nasir cause i support him and would happily vote for him if he was from my constituency.

What i find funny is how PTI started to care about him even though they hated him and enjoyed the violations of his rights only because he stood against them or also talked against them

i do have empathy for Jibran Nasir cause i support him and would happily vote for him if he was from my constituency.

What i find funny is how PTI started to care about him even though they hated him and enjoyed the violations of his rights only because he stood against them or also talked against them

Ok Bhai.

Apnee apnee soch.

Although, and you can correct me, was Jibran abducted during PTI times?

Ok Bhai.

Apnee apnee soch.

Although, and you can correct me, was Jibran abducted during PTI times?

probably not, but he was targetted by islamic radicals and PTI kept making fun of him and actually enjoyed the fact he was being targetted as he spoke in favor of ahmadis.

plz tell me which internal affairs seat PPP has ?

Sorry, PPP doesn’t represent PDM nor does it affiliate with them.

PPP also has no power in Sindh, the province where Jibran was arrested in.

PPP is the most Democratic Party in Pakistan, they don’t run away from elections.

Happy?

Sorry, PPP doesn’t represent PDM nor does it affiliate with them.

PPP also has no power in Sindh, the province where Jibran was arrested in.

PPP is the most Democratic Party in Pakistan, they don’t run away from elections.

Happy?

He was arrested by millitary force, the provincial govt doesnt have power to challenge them. Anyways, the CM of Sindh has taken notice, and most likely the guy will be released

He was arrested by millitary force, the provincial govt doesnt have power to challenge them. Anyways, the CM of Sindh has taken notice, and most likely the guy will be released

Why hasn’t Bilawal spoken up against the abduction? He’s tweeted about releasing Indian fishermen but nothing on Jibran Nasir?

Why hasn’t Bilawal spoken up against the abduction? He’s tweeted about releasing Indian fishermen but nothing on Jibran Nasir?

I dont get whats bigger, a tweet or the freaken CM taking notice?

Someone (another one) has been kidnapped in your country - you should

1. Be ashamed
2. Concerned.

100%

But why be ashamed and concerned about only those who are pti supporters what about other people who live in pakistan? Are they not human?

Everyone who supports this and are making a mockery of my country.

Mockery was made of your country on the 9th of May When Monuments of the shaheeds of pakistani army were disrespected by the goons of imran khan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today the oppression and repression of all martial laws has been surpassed. There’s a complete crackdown on PTI plus anyone who dares to criticise the blatant violations of all fundamental rights of our citizen. <br><br>Jibran Nasir's abduction only reinforces the fact that we are… <a href="https://t.co/fokRJDOVcR">pic.twitter.com/fokRJDOVcR</a></p>— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1664599522050179073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mockery was made of your country on the 9th of May When Monuments of the shaheeds of pakistani army were disrespected by the goons of imran khan

None of the Shaheeds could be disrespected by actions of a few. They are buildings at the end of the day. Allah SWT promises them eternal comfort - that is what a Shaheed is.

But maybe, just maybe cast your mind back to 2007 when living people and their businesses were destroyed after Benazir's death.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today the oppression and repression of all martial laws has been surpassed. There’s a complete crackdown on PTI plus anyone who dares to criticise the blatant violations of all fundamental rights of our citizen. <br><br>Jibran Nasir's abduction only reinforces the fact that we are… <a href="https://t.co/fokRJDOVcR">pic.twitter.com/fokRJDOVcR</a></p>— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1664599522050179073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2023</a></blockquote>

I dont get whats bigger, a tweet or the freaken CM taking notice?

You said the provincial government has no power to challenge the military force, so what difference does it make if the CM of Sindh takes a notice?

Why can’t Bilalwal speak up for injustice? Surely if he did then you’d praise him for standing up for JN.

The leader of PPP can’t speak up for JN but you’re having a go at PTI for trolling JN.

It is a propaganda created by your beloved army to distract people and find an excuse to demolish a political party that challenged the authority of the establishment.
Those shaheeds you are so upset about are dead people who can’t feel anything but the people being punished, majority of whom are innocent have nothing to do with it and are living human beings who are being tormented for long periods and their families made to suffer. How would you feel if your mother and sister were picked up and taken to unknown locations and you have no way of knowing what is happening to them? How would you feel if someone told you that they deserved this?

Last edited:
You said the provincial government has no power to challenge the military force, so what difference does it make if the CM of Sindh takes a notice?

Why can’t Bilalwal speak up for injustice? Surely if he did then you’d praise him for standing up for JN.

The leader of PPP can’t speak up for JN but you’re having a go at PTI for trolling JN.

The reason he is not speaking is because he is part of the whole regime. He has no backbone to stand-up.

Shamelessness of the whole thing.

==

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/UN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@UN</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hrw?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@hrw</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/POTUS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@potus</a><a href="https://twitter.com/EUCouncil?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@EUCouncil</a><a href="https://twitter.com/Declaracion?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Declaracion</a><a href="https://twitter.com/IHRF_English?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IHRF_English</a><a href="https://twitter.com/RSF_inter?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RSF_inter</a><a href="https://twitter.com/amnesty?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@amnesty</a> <br>There are orders from the high command" Karachi police refused to file an FIR for the kidnapping of Jibran Nasir. Wife Mansha Pasha and lawyer Barrister Ahsan Pirzadu present in the police station. <a href="https://t.co/Tyvt16IqYM">pic.twitter.com/Tyvt16IqYM</a></p>— Occupied Pakistan (@OccupiedPakWatn) <a href="https://twitter.com/OccupiedPakWatn/status/1664626353365217282?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2023</a></blockquote>

A protest was held outside the Karachi Press Club on Friday against the “unjust abduction” of activist and lawyer Jibran Nasir, who was “picked up by unidentified men” last night.

A number of human rights activists, journalists and lawyers participated in the demonstration — organised by Joint Action Committee — and chanted slogans for ‘freedom’. They also held placards and banners inscribed with ‘Release Jibran Nasir’.

Speaking to Dawn.com, Nasir’s cousin Talha Rehman said the lawyer was “picked up” in front of his wife at 11pm last night after which the family reached out to the police.

However, he said, the application for a first information report was delayed for 12-13 hours and was finally registered at 1:30pm today.

“As far as the authorities are concerned, we don’t know about his whereabouts at all, who has taken him, where he has been taken and what are the next steps as long as his release is concerned,” Rehman stated.

He further said that Nasir’s family had decided to file an application in the Sindh High Court for the lawyer’s release and would also be filing a habeas corpus petition.

Karachi Union of Journalists President Faheem Siddiqui also attended the demonstration. Addressing the protesters, he said: “Everyone who talks about human rights will speak up for Jibran Nasir and demand his immediate release.”

Human rights activist Ghazala Shafique, while speaking to Dawn.com, recalled Nasir’s work, saying that he was the “voice of the minorities in the country” and all the churches were praying for his safe return.

“The abduction of Jibran Nasir is a slap on the Pakistani society’s face,” she said.

Zahid Farooq of the Urban Resource Centre told Dawn.com that the Nasir was the person who stood for them when the evictions took place at the Gujjar Nullah.

Pakistan Maholiati Tahaffuz Movement founder Ahmed Shabbar asked, “Who is the defender of the defenders?”

He said that Nasir had stood up for various environmental cases, be it the Bundal Island or Malir Expressway.

“If a person like Jibran can be abducted, who else would want to come up [to take up such cases]? This is a state failure,” he emphasised

Dr Habiba Hassan, former member of the International Executive Committee of Amnesty International, asked: “Is the government afraid of people who uphold basic human rights?”

Also present on the occasion were girls for whom Nasir fought cases. One said, “Jibran is like a father to me, he explained to me how I was being fooled by my abductors who will only use me for their own gains.”

FIR registered

In a statement issued earlier today, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah raised concerns over Nasir’s “disappearance” and sought a report from the police chief. He also directed the police to expedite efforts to recover the lawyer.

Sindh IG Ghulam Nabi Memon told Dawn.com, “We have received a complaint from Jibran Nasir’s family and the police are trying to trace him.”

A first information report (FIR) was also later lodged at the Clifton police station.

The complaint registered by Nasir’s wife Mansha Pasha, a copy of which is available with Dawn.com, invokes sections 365 (kidnapping or abducting with intent secretly and wrongfully to confine a person) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the Pakistan Penal Code.

In it, Pasha said, “On June 1, 2023, I was heading home with my husband when a white Toyota Vigo — with the registration number BF-4356 — hit our car from the front and blocked the way near Ideal Bakery at Khayaban-e-Tanzeem.”

“Along with it, a silver Corolla hit our car from the back and stopped it. Around 10-15 armed men dressed in civil clothes started behaving forcefully with my husband and fled after putting my husband, Jibran Nasir, in their car,” she said.

Pasha further demanded that legal action should be taken against the “10-15 people who abducted my husband, Jibran Nasir, for unknown reasons and took him away”.

A day earlier, Pasha also detailed the events in a video message, seeking prayers for her husband’s safety and calling for his “swift recovery”.

Nasir, who contested the 2018 general elections from Karachi as an independent candidate, has been vocal in his criticism of the recent state crackdown on the PTI as well as the legal process involving those who allegedly took part in the riots. He was listed in 2013 by the Foreign Policy Magazine amongst three Pakistanis doing inspirational work against sectarian violence.

Last week, senior journalist Sami Abraham was taken away by unidentified men in Islamabad and returned home six days later. His brother Ali Raza had filed a complaint of abduction at Aabpara Police Station.

Meanwhile, anchorperson Imran Riaz Khan, who was arrested on May 11 from Sialkot airport by law-enforcement agencies on charges of hate speech after violent protests erupted countrywide in the wake of PTI chief Imran Khan’s arrest and then picked up by ‘unknown persons’ upon release, is still missing.

Condemnations

Several activists, lawyers and journalists have condemned Jibran’s “abduction” and called for his immediate release.

In a tweet today, Amnesty International said: “Jibran Nasir’s abduction is yet another case that the country has seen in recent weeks in the wake of authorities cracking down on critical voices following violent clashes during Imran Khan’s arrest.”

It called on authorities to “expeditiously and impartially” investigate and determine Jibran’s whereabouts.

“If in state custody, Jibran must either be released immediately or if there is sufficient evidence, produce him in a civilian court, and charge him with an internationally recognisable offence,” the human rights watchdog added.

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) demanded the immediate and safe recovery of the lawyer.

Special Assistant to the Prime Minister Salman Sufi termed the news “disturbing” and hoped that the Sindh police would assist the lawyer’s family.

“Jibran has always spoken against violent extremism and rioting. Hoping for his safe and immediate return,” he tweeted.

Pakistan Bar Council C Vice Chairman Haroonur Rashid and Executive Committee Chairman Hassan Raza Pasha also issued a statement, available with Dawn.com, condemning Nasir’s “kidnapping”.

“They have expressed their deep concerns upon this incident and said that advocates have no affiliation with any political party and they only perform their professional duties and any political party and/or politician can engage them.

“Therefore, kidnapping/arrest of advocates while performing their professional duties is highly unjustified and demanded that all arrested advocates should be released immediately,” the statement reads.

Meanwhile, Minister for Climate Change and PPP leader Sherry Rehman called for “due legal process” to be followed.

Former Karachi administrator and PPP leader Murtaza Wahab said efforts were under way to trace Nasir’s whereabouts and “ensure his safe return”. “Will keep everyone posted,” he tweeted.

Journalist Zebunnisa Burki said there was no justification for what happened with Nasir.

The PTI also condemned the incident.

Lawyer Reema Omer said: “Such abductions are a tool for repression and technique for terror used by the state — particularly security/intelligence agencies — in response to the exercise of freedom of expression and legitimate civil strife demanding democracy.”

Activist Ammar Rashid demanded Nasir’s immediate release. “Some of us, including Jibran, have been trying to warn for months that this wave of repression would not stop at PTI. Thank you to the complicit democrats for this new round of state terror,” he tweeted.

The Sindh High Court Bar Association (SHCBA) also strongly condemned the “abduction” of the lawyer.

In an official press release, the association said, “The said act is calculated to undermine the independence of the rule of law and to intimidate the legal fraternity.”

The SHCBA called upon the police and the relevant authorities to investigate the incident, “arrest the culprits and make safe recovery” of Nasir as soon as possible. “However, in case of failure, the association will decide his next course of action,” it added.

DAWN

When CM takes notice that means he will use legal ways through court to recover the person back.

again when the parties own CM has said it, why should a foreign minister say anything.
You seem to not understand the govt hierarchy.

None of the Shaheeds could be disrespected by actions of a few. They are buildings at the end of the day. Allah SWT promises them eternal comfort - that is what a Shaheed is.

But maybe, just maybe cast your mind back to 2007 when living people and their businesses were destroyed after Benazir's death.

yeh nice try to create a false narrative and comparing BBs death to this.

Both cases were different.

An ex pm was killed at that time. Stop trying hard to equate both, no one is falling for it.

yeh nice try to create a false narrative and comparing BBs death to this.

Both cases were different.

An ex pm was killed at that time. Stop trying hard to equate both, no one is falling for it.

Sorry?

Here is a reminder:

Source Wikipedia:

At least 47 people died in the riots.[61] Rioters destroyed 176 banks, 34 gasoline stations and hundreds of cars and shops.[61] 28 December was the first day of a general strike called by many groups, ranging from political parties to various professional groups.

In one case workers from a party went on the rampage and destroyed my city

In the other case, we have a few buildings damaged and thousands incarcerated.

Try again.

Last edited:
Sorry?

In one case workers from a party went on the rampage and destroyed my city

In the other case, we have a few buildings damaged and thousands incarcerated.

Try again.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I saw the city burn in front of my eyes. The ppp jiyalas were given the license to cause havoc in the city. Many of my friends got caught up in the chaos and had their cars/stores burned down.

When CM takes notice that means he will use legal ways through court to recover the person back.

again when the parties own CM has said it, why should a foreign minister say anything.
You seem to not understand the govt hierarchy.

The puppet foreign minister was able to speak on the May 9 incidents, but can’t speak up for JN.

All he has to say is, “I condemn the arrest of JN, and those involved in his abduction should be held accountable”. Why is he so hesitant? Is he worried about upsetting his masters?

The puppet foreign minister was able to speak on the May 9 incidents, but can’t speak up for JN.

All he has to say is, “I condemn the arrest of JN, and those involved in his abduction should be held accountable”. Why is he so hesitant? Is he worried about upsetting his masters?

again, when CM has taken notice why does a tweet matter?

maybe you believe that social media dramaybazi is more important than actualy work by actual people concern.

Activist and lawyer Jibran Nasir returned home on Friday almost 24 hours after being “picked up by unidentified men” last night, according to his family and police.

South Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Syed Asad Raza confirmed to Dawn.com that the activist had reached home safely. He said that the police team would meet Nasir to record his statement.

The rights lawyer’s “unjust abduction” last night had drawn widespread condemnation, with a protest held outside the Karachi Press Club (KPC) earlier today.

His wife Mansha Pasha had told Dawn.com late on Thursday night that the couple was coming home after dinner around 11pm when they were intercepted.

DAWN

===

And Lo and Behold....

Magically returned.

So cm of sindh intervened and he is back.

Yousufthebeast i told you so

Yes so what does that tell you about the CM of Sindh?

1. He knew who the kidnappers were
2. He was possibly involved in it
3. If none of the above, how did all this happen?

When he was abducted did you ever think he was never going to be released?

Why was the Police unwilling to file an FIR on the night of his abduction?

Who abducted him? And will those who did it be held accountable?

How do we prevent this from happening again?

These are questions you should be asking the from the leader of PPP.

Is this the democracy Pakistani liberals were crying for when IK was in power?

What happens if Jibran makes another tweet that upsets the wrong people, will he be abducted again?

When he was abducted did you ever think he was never going to be released?

Why was the Police unwilling to file an FIR on the night of his abduction?

Who abducted him? And will those who did it be held accountable?

How do we prevent this from happening again?

These are questions you should be asking the from the leader of PPP.

Is this the democracy Pakistani liberals were crying for when IK was in power?

What happens if Jibran makes another tweet that upsets the wrong people, will he be abducted again?

i mentioned that he will be released, the CM helped.

He was not abducted by the govt, if you dont know how pakistan runs, can explain each and everything here.

You lot dont care about Jibran Nasir, liberals do only. You guys only want to play politics on anyone being kidnapped.

Same Jibran can be kidnapped under PTI govt by Army, and you would care less.

Does being a liberal involve looting your country for everything it's got, being complicit in the murder of thousands of innocent people?

i mentioned that he will be released, the CM helped.

He was not abducted by the govt, if you dont know how pakistan runs, can explain each and everything here.

You lot dont care about Jibran Nasir, liberals do only. You guys only want to play politics on anyone being kidnapped.

Same Jibran can be kidnapped under PTI govt by Army, and you would care less.

The same could be said about you if Jibran was arrested during PTI tenure then you’d blame IK and call him a dictator etc.

Bro, Jibran may be a liberal but you are not a liberal. You cannot be a liberal and support parties like PTI, PPP or PML-N. There’s a reason why Jibran is an independent lol.

Back