Malala Yousafzai - Mega Discussion Thread

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aPKwWkKNC-Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

Good bump. Most people have forgotten about Malala in reality, but we must assume there will be some further role for her in world affairs given these timely reminders.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My statement on the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Afghanistan?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Afghanistan</a> Peace Talks <a href="https://t.co/yGwvL4TBgX">pic.twitter.com/yGwvL4TBgX</a></p>— Malala (@Malala) <a href="https://twitter.com/Malala/status/1305497710821355521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

UNITED NATIONS: As many as 20 million girls may not return to schools even after the Covid-19 crisis is over, warns UN Messenger of Peace Malala Yousafzai.

Speaking at a side event of the UN General Assembly on Friday afternoon, the youngest Nobel Laureate acknowledged that Covid-19 had been “a striking setback to our collective goals”, such as educating women.

“On education alone, 20 million more girls may never go back to the classroom when this crisis ends [and] the global education funding gap has already increased to 200 billion dollars per year,” she said.

Malala reminded the international community that sustainable global goals, set by the UN five years ago, represented the future for millions of girls who wanted education and were fighting for equality.

Noting that little had been done in the last five years to achieve those goals, she asked the world body, “when are you planning to do the work”?

UN chief says world must set its sights high

“When will you commit the necessary funding to give every child 12 years of quality education? When will you prioritise peace and protect refugees? When will you pass policies to cut carbon emissions?”

UN Secretary-General António Guterres, who also addressed this virtual event, underlined the need to “strike out for a world of dignity and opportunity for all on a healthy planet”.

“We must look beyond the current crisis and set our sights high…to show that transformation is possible and is happening right now”, he said.

The UN chief urged rich nations to address the immediate, medium and longer-term needs of developing countries and to support a UN debt service suspension initiative to at least the end of 2021.

He also stressed the need for transition to a more equitable and sustainable economy, ending fossil fuel subsidies and placing women at the centre of building back.

Deputy Secretary-General Amina J. Mohammed noted that this “transformation” was already “happening everywhere and must not leave anyone behind”.

The head of the UN Develop*ment Fund (UNDP), Achim Steiner warned that for the first time in 30 years, the march of progress in human development was expected to go sharply into reverse.

“Building people’s resilience against vulnerability, risk and deprivation, and helping them to get on their feet if they falter, defines social protection in the 21st century,” he said.

Munir Akram, president of the Economic and Social Council, said that the “global magnitude of the challenge we are facing” as a result of Covid-19, was “the greatest since the creation of the United Nations”.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1580635/20-million-girls-may-never-return-to-school-warns-malala

Last edited:
Pakistani Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai was on Monday invited by Indian author Twinkle Khanna for a virtual interview. Many remember Malala Yousafzai from the 9th of October 2012 incident when a Taliban gunman shot her as she was on her way to school. Yet, most people remember Malala for her charity works and activism after surviving the bullet.

Who is Malala Yousafzai?

Ever since late 2012, Malala Yousafzai became an advocate for girls’ education and set on a journey to enhance the status of education in Pakistan and women’s rights. Malala became not only the youngest person in the world to win the Nobel Peace Prize, but also to give a speech to the United Nations, and even publish her first book, ‘I Am Malala’. The Pakistani activist has now become a symbol of hope, bravery, and optimism for all school-going girls and women in general.

Interview with Indian author Twinkle Khanna

“Malala is a symbol of hope, bravery and optimism. She has been recognized globally for her work for the rights of women especially their education”, Khanna said in the live interview.

While sharing the interview clip, Twinkle Khanna wrote, “Tweak turns one today and to kick off the celebrations we have the wonderful Malala with us. This was a surreal day. It was meant to be an audio interview that turned into a video. I also managed to jab my eye with a kohl pencil, in a hurry. I shouldn’t have really bothered with it, because she made me cry and that kohl only ended up as a smudge. Here we are, talking about using your voice, your platform, to make a difference.“

Over the course of the interview, Malala talked about how she handles being a famous student and shared, “Becoming well known at a very young age was challenging. I did not have anyone to guide me and I had to learn everything myself. I was not like, you know, a TV celebrity. So even the fame and support I got was different. It was like Malala, you are an inspiration for us. So for me, it was like thank you so much for supporting me and thank you for standing up with me. And if they would ask for a picture, why not.”

“I never treat it as celebrity fame but in college, I was a bit overwhelmed with how it was going to. Later it was fine in Oxford. I am sure they have seen celebrity students before as well.” continued Malala.

She then proceeded to talk about what she does for fun and said, “For me, fun means spending time with friends whether that’s going out to a restaurant and having lunch together or going to see a movie. There are many societies in Oxford so I sometimes go to the cricket club. I have also played for my college.” Host Khanna – on live television – can be seen to be particularly impressed by this.

Malala proceeded to talk about the time when she used to get death threats. When asked how she would respond to them, Malala replied, “It was announced on the FM radio by the Taliban spokesperson that from the 15th January 2009, no girl can go out and go to school. I was 11 and it was shut down on schools because they did not believe in women’s rights. For a woman not to be able to get an education means that she is more vulnerable to get married early. She is more vulnerable to be a victim of domestic violence and many things. So for me, a life that way was the worst thing that I could imagine. That is why I started speaking out for my rights and for girls in Swat Valley.”

Malala further added, “I said to myself, Malala, you must be brave. You must not be afraid of anyone. You are only trying to get an education. You are not committing a crime.” Khanna can be seen to be thoroughly touched by Malala’s statement.

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/malala-yousafzai-reveals-she-plays-cricket-at-oxford/

Last edited:
'Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act' for Pakistani women approved by US Congress

Pakistani women can now get more scholarships under new merit and needs-based program after the United States Congress passed a bill named after Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai.

The Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act was passed by the House of Representatives in March last year, and the US Senate adopted it by a voice vote last Friday, according to the congress website.

It has now been sent to US President Donald Trump to sign it into law.

The bill requires the United States Agency for International Development to award at least 50% of scholarships to Pakistani women, across a range of academic disciplines and in accordance with existing eligibility criteria.

In October 2012, Malala was shot in the head at point-blank range by the Taliban as she was returning home from her school in Swat valley.

Two years later, Malala became the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of her efforts for children's rights.

She then became a UN Messenger of Peace in 2017, with a special focus on girls’ education.

Last year, Malala was chosen by Teen Vogue as its cover person for its last issue of the decade and was also declared by the UN as "the most famous teenager in the world" in its Decade in Review.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/328046-ma...t-for-pakistani-women-approved-by-us-congress

I see they made a movie about her - looks awful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CPKcHGCNeDU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Bill was signed into law by United States President Donald Trump earlier this week.

According to a bill announcement issued by the White House, the US president signed off on the Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act on January 13.

Under the Act, US Agency of International Development (USAID) will be awarding at 50% of the merit and needs-based scholarship programmes across a wide range of academic disciplines to Pakistani women who meet the existing eligibility criteria.

The Act was passed by the US House of Representatives last year in March and was voted into existence by the US Congress on January 1, 2021.

'Most famous teenager'

On October 2012, Malala was shot in the head at point-blank range by the Taliban as she was returning home from her school in Swat valley.

Two years later, Malala became the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of her efforts for children's rights.

She then became a UN Messenger of Peace in 2017, with a special focus on girls’ education.

Last year, Malala was chosen by Teen Vogue as as its cover person for its last issue of the decade and was also declared by the UN as "the most famous teenager in the world" in its Decade in Review.

^ This is an amazing initiative. This scholarship would allow Pakistani women to pursue quality higher education in the US. This country needs more educated women.

^ This is an amazing initiative. This scholarship would allow Pakistani women to pursue quality higher education in the US. This country needs more educated women.

Why is that? Are women not getting enough opportunities to pursue higher education opportunities in the US?

Malala Yousafzai tells Desert Island Discs: 'Birmingham has become a second home'

Malala Yousafzai, the 23-year-old human rights activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner, has opened up about life as a student, her hopes for the future, and why she loves a Birmingham accent.

Here are seven things we learned from her interview with BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs.

1. Birmingham is her 'second home'
It has been more than eight years since Malala arrived at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, after being shot in the head by Taliban gunmen while on the bus to school in Pakistan's Swat valley, for saying that girls should be educated.

She tells Lauren Laverne that when she woke up from a medically induced coma, she didn't realise quite how long she would stay in the UK for - and even asked her dad to bring her physics revision from Pakistan because she had exams coming up.

Since then, she says the city "has become a second home".

"Firstly we had to understand the accent," she laughs. She's got pretty good at a Brummie accent, though, and even quotes from a speech she gave to the United Nations to demonstrate. "I love [it]," she says (you can hear it about 28 minutes in to the Desert Island Discs episode).

"But Swat, Pakistan - that is always my first home and that's still in our hearts," she says.

"I hope to go back to Pakistan soon to see my home again."

Who is Malala Yousafzai?
The girl who was shot for going to school

2. She embraced student life

Last year, Malala graduated from the University of Oxford with a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics. Like a lot of new students, moving to university was another big adjustment.

"It's the first time you have left your home," she says. "You are learning what it means to be independent."

She says the "best times" were when she was hanging out with friends. For the first time since her traumatic experience, she says she felt her childhood had "come back".

"I wasn't having much fun before university, but when I went to university and when I connected to people of my age, friends of my age, that is when I realised that 'okay, I am actually not that old and I can still have those experiences of youth that I deserve and that everyone else is having'," she says.

She finished her exams at home because of the coronavirus pandemic and celebrated with her family. But she still catches up with her friends on video chat.

3. She loves an 80s sitcom
She has taken some time to relax since finishing her degree, watching shows like Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses and Yes Minister. "I am a big fan of British sitcoms so I always watch those shows," she laughs.

She's also enjoyed West End hits - a track from Phantom of the Opera made it on to the list of songs she'd take with her if she were stranded on a desert island.

"When I moved to the UK I was very new to this culture and I was trying to find what I liked and disliked in the music and the art here. I realised that I really liked musicals," she says. "I watched the Phantom of the Opera so many times and I loved each and every song."

4. She's a Belieber
Another tune she would take with her is Justin Bieber's Never Say Never.

"I used to listen to these songs in Pakistan and I was very new to pop culture, but it was trending at that time," she says.

5. She's bossy... but in a 'positive' way

Asked how she separates her public and private lives, she says "there is another Malala in the house".

"I am quite bossy in a way, in a positive way!" she says. "I lecture my brothers all the time... They probably need it, boys need a lot of lectures."

She says her dad, fellow activist Ziauddin Yousafzai, is an "amazing feminist father" who didn't like the way his own sisters were treated when he was growing up and "ensured that I get treated the same way as my brothers".

And her parents' relationship? The story of how they met in Pakistan is "quite cute", she says.

"They didn't have Tinder or these dating apps or anything... they couldn't go on a date or anything," she says. "My mother would sometimes visit their house and they'd just look at each other from a distance, that is sort of their love story."

6. She might go into politics one day
Malala says that when she was younger she used to think: "One day when I'll become the prime minister, I'll fix everything".

"What I have learned is that things are quite complicated," she says. "Right now my focus is to work on girls' education and then I don't know, I could consider politics in 20 years or something. There's always time for that!"

Reflecting on what inspired her to become an activist in Pakistan, she says: "For me the fear was living in that situation forever, for my whole life.

"You just feel this strength within you, even though you're tiny. And I am still tiny - I'm like 5ft!"

7. She's a big fan of Plato and... lip balm
Asked what else she would take with her to a desert island, she says she became a "big fan" of Plato at university and would take his complete works.

"I cannot survive without a lip balm, so I'm going to take my lip balm - which is a slightly coloured sort of lip balm so it gives a beautiful colour," she adds. "I would be very happy with that forever."

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56062789.

Former TTP spox Ehsanullah threatens Malala on Twitter, tells her to come back to Pakistan and this time, the aim of their gunmen would not miss.

He is the same person who escaped from Pakistan Army custody.

A Pakistani Taliban militant who nine years ago is alleged to have shot and badly wounded Nobel Laureate Malala Yousafzai has threatened a second attempt on her life, tweeting that next time, “there would be no mistake.” Twitter on Wednesday permanently suspend the account with the menacing post.

The threat prompted Yousafzai to tweet herself, asking both the Pakistan military and Prime Minister Imran Khan to explain how her alleged shooter, Ehsanullah Ehsan, had escaped from government custody.

Ehsan was arrested in 2017, but escaped in January 2020 from a so-called safe house where he was being held by Pakistan’s intelligence agency. The circumstances of both his arrest and escape have been shrouded in mystery and controversy.

Since his escape, Ehsan has been interviewed and has communicated with Pakistani journalists via the same Twitter account that carried the Urdu-language threat. He has had more than one Twitter account, all of which have been suspended.

The government is investigating the threat and had immediately asked Twitter to shut down the account, said Raoof Hasan, an adviser to the prime minister.

Ehsan, a longtime member of the Pakistani Taliban or Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan as they are known, urged Yousafzai to “come back home because we have a score to settle with you and your father." The tweet added that “this time there will be no mistake."

Yousafzai, who has setup a fund that promotes education for girls worldwide and even financed a girls' school in her home in the Swat Valley, called out the government and the military over Ehsan's tweet.

“This is the ex-spokesperson of Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan who claims the attack on me and many innocent people. He is now threatening people on social media," she tweeted. “How did he escape?”

Associated Press queries to the military were unanswered.

The charges against Ehsan include a horrific 2014 attack on a Pakistani army's public school that killed 134 — mostly children, some as young as five years old.

He also claimed responsibility for the 2012 shooting of Yousafzai in Swat Valley. In the attack, the gunman walked up to Yousafzai on a school bus in which she was travelling, asked for her by name and then fired three bullets. She was just 15 years old at the time and had enraged the Taliban with her campaign for girls education.

Her father, Ziauddin Yousafzai, a teacher, ran a school in Swat Valley for boys and girls. In 2007 when the Pakistani Taliban took control of the area, they forced girls out of schools and ruled with a brutal hand until 2009, when they were driven out by the Pakistani military.

During his years in military custody, Ehsan was never charged. Authorities also later never explained how he left the country and traveled to Turkey, where he is believed to be living today.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4129775

Former TTP spox Ehsanullah threatens Malala on Twitter, tells her to come back to Pakistan and this time, the aim of their gunmen would not miss.

"Escaped" :))

"Escaped" :)) garbage Pak army, patriots my a**
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-leader-ehsanullahs-escape-to-turkey.amp.html

"Is Pak army lying about taliban leader escape"
https://www.wionews.com/south-asia/...ng-death-squad-on-pak-armys-behest-320303/amp

"Taliban terrorist Ehsanullah Ehsan confesses leading death squad on Pak Army's behest"

Last edited:

That was a fake account.

The old philosophy of having borders and divisions doesn't work anymore and the people in India and Pakistan want to live in peace, Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai said on Sunday, stressing that it is her dream to see the two countries become "good friends".

She also said that minorities need protection in every country, be it Pakistan or India, adding that the issue is not related to religion but to the "exploitation of power" and must be taken seriously.

Yousafzai, a Pakistani activist for girls education who miraculously survived a bullet to the head from the militant Taliban in October 2012, said the news of internet shutdown and arrests of activists "protesting peacefully" in India is "worrying" and expressed the hope that the government will make sure that people are heard.

"It is my dream to see India and Pakistan become true good friends and that we can visit each other's countries. You can continue to watch Pakistani dramas, we can continue to watch Bollywood movies and enjoy cricket matches," the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner said.

She was speaking on her book "I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban" on the concluding day of the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) which is being held in the virtual mode.

"You are Indian and I am Pakistani and we are completely fine, then why is this hatred created between us? This old philosophy of borders, divisions and divide and conquer... they just don't work anymore, as humans we all want to live in peace," she said.

The actual enemy of India and Pakistan is "poverty, discrimination and inequality" and both countries should unite and fight them, not each other, she added.

Apart from "India-Pakistan friendship", Yousufzai said she also dreams of the day when every girl would get to go to school and have access to quality education.

The 23-year-old activist also raised her voice for minorities across the world and said they are at "risk" and need to be protected globally by governments and human rights organisations.

"Minorities are at risk. Minorities' rights are not given to them. Be it Hindus and Christians in Pakistan, Muslims, Dalits and other minorities in India ... Palestinians, Rohingya refugees. It is not religion, it is the exploitation of power, it is just elites vs the poor and minorities.

"Minorities need protection globally from every country. They need a voice, need protection, and it is a reminder to governments, to human rights organisations to take this very seriously," she noted.

During the discussion, she also applauded Indian girls and young women fighting for human rights, "speaking out" for farmers in India, climate change and protection of the minority rights, and called their work "empowering and inspiring".

However, the news of the internet shutdown and arrests of activists protesting peacefully in India is "worrying", she claimed.

".. You may not like their political opinion but it does not mean that you put them in jails and arrest them. It is a democratic right of every individual -- including women and girls -- to highlight their political opinions... So I hope that the government makes sure that people can protest peacefully and ask for their rights, and that they are heard," she added.

The 14th edition of JLF featured over 300 speakers and performers representing around 25 Indian and 18 international languages and over 23 nationalities.

Some of the big names who made it to the festival this year included American linguist Noam Chomsky, 2020 Booker Prize winner Douglas Stuart, Nobel Laureates Joseph Stiglitz, Microsoft Corporation co-founder Bill Gates, and actor-author Priyanka Chopra.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/worl...good-friends-says-malala-101614509804445.html

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/3/9/pakistani-nobel-laureate-malala-yousafzai-signs-apple-tv-deal?__twitter_impression=true

Pakistani Nobel laureate and activist Malala Yousafzai, who survived a Taliban assassination attempt, has signed a deal with Apple TV+ that will see her produce dramas and documentaries focusing on women and children.

The multi-year partnership would “draw on her ability to inspire people around the world”, the company said in a statement on Monday, adding that content would also include animation and children’s series.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to support women, young people, writers, and artists in reflecting the world as they see it,” the 23-year-old was quoted as saying.

Yousafzai earned the wrath of the Taliban as a 10-year-old in rural northwestern Pakistan when she began campaigning for girls’ education rights.

At the time, the Pakistani Taliban had gained a significant foothold in the Swat Valley and had, among other things, banned education for girls and employment for women.

Yousafzai drew international attention with a series of blogs and articles she wrote under a pen name for the BBC about everyday life and hopes for a better future, but her fame incensed the Taliban, whose leadership ordered her murder.

In October 2012, a Taliban assassin shot Malala, then 15 years old, in a school van. The bullet struck near her left eye, went through her neck and lodged in her shoulder.

She recovered after months of treatment at home and abroad before co-writing a bestselling memoir titled, I am Malala, which drew even more international attention.

Yousafzai was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize as a 17-year-old in 2014, sharing the award with Kailash Satyarthi, a children’s rights activist from India.

Apple produced a documentary about Malala in 2015 and teamed up with her Malala Fund in 2018 to promote secondary education for girls across the globe.

She graduated from Oxford University last year and has since created Assembly, a digital publication for girls and women, that is available on Apple News and formed her own TV production company, Extracurricular.

“I believe in the power of stories to bring families together, forge friendships, build movements, and inspire children to dream,” she was quoted as saying in Monday’s statement.

In an interview with Reuters news agency, Malala said: “I hope that through this partnership, I will be able to bring new voices to this platform, to this stage. I hope that through me, more young people and girls will watch these shows, get inspired.”

After numerous delays, pay negotiations, and social media teases, the long-awaited Friends reunion is upon us. On Thursday, HBO Max unveiled the first trailer for the special, which reconvenes original cast members Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer for a conversation about the series on Thursday, May 27.

It was also announced that a grab bag of celebrity guest stars are joining the festivities. There’s former Friends alumni, including Tom Selleck, who played the superbly mustached Richard; Maggie Wheeler, whose Janice turned “Oh...my...God!” into a catchphrase; and James Michael Tyler, who dutifully ran Central Perk as Gunther. Plus, several presumed famous fans are making appearances, such as Lady Gaga, Mindy Kaling, Justin Bieber, and, surprisingly, Malala Yousafzai. Her inclusion in this lineup prompts a question: is the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Pakistani activist also an avid Friends watcher?

Amidst a sea of A-list athletes, musicians, and actors, Yousafzai doesn’t have any other known ties to the hit NBC sitcom, which ran from 1994 to 2004. (Yousafzai was born in 1997.) It’s also unclear if she’ll be appearing virtually or in-person to share her thoughts on the Central Perk gang. What we do know is that the 23-year-old has expressed her need to dive into comedy series after a day tirelessly advocating for girls’ education. “Just like everybody else, I also need a break to just focus on a show like Big Bang Theory, Girlfriends or Ted Lasso,” she said on the PEOPLE Every Day podcast in March. “These are things that just keep you sort of happy for a second. It helps you just to escape from all of the problems that are there outside.”

Yousafzai will pop-up in some capacity at the Friends reunion alongside David Beckham, BTS, James Corden, Cindy Crawford, Cara Delevingne, Elliott Gould, Kit Harington, Larry Hankin, Thomas Lennon, Christina Pickles, and Reese Witherspoon. Hopefully each of them will be asked a pivotal question: do they believe Ross and Rachel were really on a break?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...-friends-hbo-max-reunion-premiere-date-teaser

MALALA on MARRIAGE: ‘Why can’t it just be a partnership?’

The 23-year-old, who is unsure of her next steps after graduating from Oxford, has recently opened up in an interview to a British magazine about love and family.

Malala told British Vogue that as though all her friends are finding partners, she’s not sure if that’s what she wants.

About romantic relationships, a nervous Malala said that “If you can trust someone or not, how can you be sure.”

Malala’s parents had an “arranged love marriage”, and would like her to get married one day, but she isn’t sure if she’ll ever marry herself.

“I still don’t understand why people have to get married. If you want to have a person in your life, why do you have to sign marriage papers, why can’t it just be a partnership?” she said.

Her views on the institution of marriage have met with a mixed reaction from people in her home country, with social media users reminding Malala of her Pashtoon origin and calling out for for 'promoting western culture'. Still, there were many others who defended her against the criticism.

Meanwhile, according to the British publication, her father occasionally receives emails from prospective suitors in Pakistan.

The 2014 Peace Prize winner will feature on the July 2021 issue of British Vogue – that is on newsstands on 4 June.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/03-Jun-2021/malala-on-marriage-why-can-t-it-just-be-a-partnership

She hasn't come to terms with being in Britain yet it seems. There is no pressure to have a marriage in this country, she can not only have a partnership, it could even be with the same sex or transgender if it pleases her.

A storm of criticism is being directed at Malala on social media. The words being used for Malala on social media are vile and disgusting and showcases the misogynist and repressive nature of the country.

Utterly disgraceful the way this girl is being dragged through the mud!

A storm of criticism is being directed at Malala on social media. The words being used for Malala on social media are vile and disgusting and showcases the misogynist and repressive nature of the country.

Utterly disgraceful the way this girl is being dragged through the mud!

Everyone has an opinion. She lives in Britain. She can do whatever she wants. Its nobodies business.

Everyone has an opinion. She lives in Britain. She can do whatever she wants. Its nobodies business.

Tell that to Pakistanis. We are such a weird bunch. We are hating a girl for getting shot and then living to tell the tale. Instead of her shooters, we say that Malala -the victim- tarnished the image of Pakistan because her shooting drew international attention to the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell that to Pakistanis. We are such a weird bunch. We are hating a girl for getting shot and then living to tell the tale. Instead of her shooters, we say that Malala -the victim- tarnished the image of Pakistan because her shooting drew international attention to the country.
Oh come on !!! she is supporting Zina over Nikkah and you are defending her, all feminists and liberals will obviously defend her as its on their agenda lol and you are blaming Pakistanis for over reactions :afridi

The 23-year-old, who is unsure of her next steps after graduating from Oxford, has recently opened up in an interview to a British magazine about love and family.

Malala told British Vogue that as though all her friends are finding partners, she’s not sure if that’s what she wants.

About romantic relationships, a nervous Malala said that “If you can trust someone or not, how can you be sure.”

Malala’s parents had an “arranged love marriage”, and would like her to get married one day, but she isn’t sure if she’ll ever marry herself.

“I still don’t understand why people have to get married. If you want to have a person in your life, why do you have to sign marriage papers, why can’t it just be a partnership?” she said.

Her views on the institution of marriage have met with a mixed reaction from people in her home country, with social media users reminding Malala of her Pashtoon origin and calling out for for 'promoting western culture'. Still, there were many others who defended her against the criticism.

Meanwhile, according to the British publication, her father occasionally receives emails from prospective suitors in Pakistan.

The 2014 Peace Prize winner will feature on the July 2021 issue of British Vogue – that is on newsstands on 4 June.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/03-Jun-2021/malala-on-marriage-why-can-t-it-just-be-a-partnership

What a strange woman.

Wears headscarf, has been calling for womens rights esp Muslim girls but now thinks its ok for the same women to have intimate partners without marriage. lol

Has she lost the plot or never had a clue in the first place? :inti

Not sure why people pretend to be Muslims and then do everything that's against Islam. Disgusting.

Nothing new here, Pakistan is the only country that ditches its nobel prize winners and rubs dirt in there face, and makes extremists and terroists as heroes.

PESHAWAR: The controversy over Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai’s views on marriage echoed in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly on Friday with members of the opposition Pakistan Peoples Party and Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal urging her family to clarify position on the issue.

The issue was raised by PPP lawmaker from Upper Dir district Sahibzada Sanaullah on a point of order.

Saying Malala’s interview to the British Vogue magazine is circulating on the mainstream and social media for some days, he demanded of the government to probe whether the education activist really made those marriage remarks or not.

The member insisted that life partnership was not allowed in any religion and if Malala favoured it, then the stand was condemnable.

“She [Malala] should clarify if she has not made that statement,” said the lawmaker, who had quit the Jamaat-i-Islami to join the PPP.

Inayatullah Khan of the MMA said the marriage remarks attributed to the Nobel laureate had damaged her personality.

He said Malala’s father should clarify if it was a slip of tongue or she was quoted out of context.

“Following Muslim and Pakhtun values is Malala’s identity,” he said, adding that the activist was also criticised by her followers.

However, opposition Awami National Party’s Nisar Khan and ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf’s Ziaullah Bangash defended Malala and her family’s position on the issue.

“Malala is the daughter of Pakhtun nation, who faced terrorists with bravery. I condemn the resolution moved against her in the house,” Mr Nisar said.

Speaker Mushtaq Ahmed Ghani, who chaired the session, clarified that there was no resolution and instead, the issue was taken up on a point of order.

Mr Nisar requested his colleagues not to turn the matter into a controversy.

Mr Bangash defended Malala and her family and said the interview’s portion, which was being subjected to the controversy, was in fact a mother-daughter dialogue.

He said this conversation was taken out of context to stir a controversy, which caused mental agony to the family.

“Her [Malala’s] comments were twisted and mentioned out of context,” he said.

Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl MPA Naeema Kishwar also asked the activist’s family to clarify position on the matter and disown the statement attributed to her by the magazine.

During question hour, law minister Fazal Shakoor Khan said on the directives of Prime Minister Imran Khan, the Governor’s House in Peshawar would be either converted into university, library or museum.

He said a three-member subcommittee had been set up to work out feasibility for the purpose.

The committee comprises Umar Khan Afridi, Naeem Safi and Dr Faisal Khan.

The lawmakers began debate on the proposals for the upcoming budget to be unveiled on June 18.

Initiating debate on the subject, Leader of the Opposition Akram Khan Durrani urged the government to complete all ongoing schemes instead of launching new ones.

He criticised the government for allocating meagre funds for education sector in the previous budget, which plunged universities into financial crises.

The opposition leader said the Islamia College University, a historical educational institution, faced a serious financial crisis prompting teachers to start protest.

He said the health sector was also in dire straits and the launching of Medical Teaching Institute had crippled health delivery system across the province.

“The government’s flagship Sihat Sahulat Card programme is not entertained in the public sector hospitals due to the unavailability of specialist doctors and latest machines. The cardholders get treatment from private hospitals,” he said.

Mr Durrani said the KP government was committing a criminal negligence by not securing the financial rights of the province.

He said the provincial government had failed to ask the federal government for the payment of oil and gas royalty.

Published in Dawn, June 5th, 2021

For those who havent seen the interview

[utube]bnPmLwFcCqA[/utube]

There are two kind of people,

1-with positive mind set, appreciate all good things, not jealous of anyone's success and fame, knowledgeable and open minded. Do not criticize unnecessarily and those are the people on this forum and elsewhere who feel proud of Malala , her positive contribution to the society , particularly in raising awareness in girl's education .

2-Apposite to the type 1 people, not hard to find them. Look at their comments here and elsewhere , saying bad things about this brave young girl.

The father of Pakistani Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai has said that a purported comment of his daughter about marriage in a popular fashion and lifestyle magazine has been taken out of context, twisted and circulated on social media with sinister interpretations.

In a post widely shared on social media, British Vogue purportedly quoted Malala as saying: “I still don’t understand why people have to get married. If you want to have a person in your life, why do you have to sign marriage papers, why can’t it just be a partnership?”

Malala, 23, gave a wide-ranging interview to British Vogue and features on the cover of the magazine’s July issue. She was pictured for the cover wearing a red headscarf. She said her dress is not a sign she is “oppressed”, according to the snippets of the interview released by British Vogue.

She said the headscarf represents her roots as a Muslim of Pashtun ethnicity. “Muslim girls or Pashtun girls or Pakistani girls, when we follow our traditional dress, we're considered to be oppressed, or voiceless, or living under patriarchy,” she added.

However, it was her purported comment about marriage that immediately went viral on social media, inviting venomous criticism. A Peshawar-based influential cleric asked Malala’s father to explain his daughter’s purported comments.

“A news report has been making the rounds on social media since yesterday that your daughter Malala Yousafzai has categorically rejected the institution of marriage and said that ‘partnership’ is better than getting married,” Mufti Shahabuddin Popalzai, the imam and khateeb of Peshawar’s Qasim Ali Khan Masjid, said in a tweet tagging Ziauddin Yousafzai.

“We are all deeply disturbed by this statement. Please explain,” he added.

Replying to Popalzai’s tweet, Ziauddin said that Malala’s interview was twisted and her comments were quoted out of context with sinister designs.

“Respected Mufti Popalzai Sahib, there is no truth in it. The media and social media have taken an excerpt of her interview out of context and shared it with their own interpretations. And that's it,” Ziauddin wrote on his verified Twitter handle.

hat Malala told the magazine is this: “I am aware of the power that is in the heart of a young girl when she has thought and a mission.”

The cleric retweeted Ziauddin’s tweet with his comments. “Malala Yousafzai's respected father made three important points in his explanation: 1.) He denied the statement; 2.) He said the comment has been presented out of context; 3.) The words have been altered and twisted,” he wrote in another tweet.

Express Tribune

She's got humour

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/t1wKAmkswK">pic.twitter.com/t1wKAmkswK</a></p>— Malala (@Malala) <a href="https://twitter.com/Malala/status/1401180175304433669?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

a partnership is fine if you want to live without kids, but if you want to have kids, and one party in the partnership, the women invariably, has to sacrifice a greater deal of her earning potential into raising kids, legal protection to insure the rights of that partner and kids is a must, and marriage does a good job of providing that.

if you don't want to have kids you should pbly avoid getting married imo, especially if you earn more than your partner.

The majority of people in Pakistan do not like Malala. She is like the Pakistani version of Greta Thunberg.

Its condescending to hear a child lecture adults. Its worse when its viewed in a racial lens, as in white people are using her to teach Pakistanis to value female education.

Last edited:
I've near really understood the Pakistani dislike for Malala tbh. Most south asians tend to be right wing conservatives when it comes to politics, more so in the case of Pakistan. So I can understand the dislike for left liberals like Asma Jahangir, which isn't that different from Indians dislike for Arundati Roy, as people like them bring out the skeletons in the closet and talk about the ugly face of their respective countries.

But I've hardly seen Malala talk a bad word about Pakistan and is generally seen as an ambassador for peace and female empowerment from Pakistan in all honesty. I get the feeling Malala would've been hailed as a hero if she had unfortunately succumbed to the attack, but because she survived against all odds, her existence (particularly in the west) serves as a living reminder of all the odds and difficulties she faced as a girl child to get education in her region in Pakistan.

Last edited:
The majority of people in Pakistan do not like Malala. She is like the Pakistani version of Greta Thunberg.

Its condescending to hear a child lecture adults. Its worse when its viewed in a racial lens, as in white people are using her to teach Pakistanis to value female education.

Pakistanis need to realise the value of education. With a literacy of 58% and a female literacy of 44.5%, we have a long way to go! We need at least one million more Malalas. Half of all married Pakistani women are illiterate!We rank number one in education inequality. This country is a terrible terrible place for education.

I've near really understood the Pakistani dislike for Malala tbh. Most south asians tend to be right wing conservatives when it comes to politics, more so in the case of Pakistan. So I can understand the dislike for left liberals like Asma Jahangir, which isn't that different from Indians dislike for Arundati Roy, as people like them bring out the skeletons in the closet and talk about the ugly face of their respective countries.

But I've hardly seen Malala talk a bad word about Pakistan and is generally seen as an ambassador for peace and female empowerment from Pakistan in all honesty. I get the feeling Malala would've been hailed as a hero if she had unfortunately succumbed to the attack, but because she survived against all odds, her existence (particularly in the west) serves as a living reminder of all the odds and difficulties she faced as a girl child to get education in her region in Pakistan.

Is there anyone similar who can be seen as a role model for female empowerment in India? Perhaps that would enable us to understand better.

Well Malala's case was a peculiar one. Don't think we have an Indian equivalent of Malala.

But females in India are definitely repressed and undervalued. This is a country which distributes celebratory mithai on the birth of a son and has an unnatural ratio of boys to girls for disturbing reasons. Until we have a girl from India getting asylum in the west and campaigning for female empowerment in India, we can't really know how she would be received by Indians around the world.

But females in India are definitely repressed and undervalued. This is a country which distributes celebratory mithai on the birth of a son and has an unnatural ratio of boys to girls for disturbing reasons. Until we have a girl from India getting asylum in the west and campaigning for female empowerment in India, we can't really know how she would be received by Indians around the world.

Two wrongs don't make a right though, does it..

Unfortunately, females all over the world are repressed and undervalued (it is only the degree by which they suffer). That is the way the world is.
If a famous male champion were to tweet that "why get married?" , his tweet would not be called out like Malala's was.

Two wrongs don't make a right though, does it..

You were saying you couldn't really understand the dislike for Malala in Pakistan so I was trying to shed some light on it by imagining it from an Indian perspective since you are Indian. It's not a matter of right or wrong per se.

Unfortunately, females all over the world are repressed and undervalued (it is only the degree by which they suffer). That is the way the world is.
If a famous male champion were to tweet that "why get married?" , his tweet would not be called out like Malala's was.

I'm not sure that's true, I think he would get called out as well, but there would probably be more tolerance of it because we live in a sexist world, and Pakistanis could be described as more sexist than most.

Not sure who thinks Malala is a spokesperson for the Muslim world - she expressed her own views - that's it.

Not sure who thinks Malala is a spokesperson for the Muslim world - she expressed her own views - that's it.

Absolutely, and as a young girl she is entitled to give her opinion . She is not a 60 year old religious leader.

It is awful to see Veena Malik, Mathira, Feroz Khan,and other film industry muppets who engage in all sorts of immoral behavior accusing Malala of anti-Islam.

Veena Malik who is very well known in Pakistan for notorious reasons and nude photoshoots has become so pious all of a sudden. She has been after Malala and other women rights activists for a long time, claiming that they are promoting liberalism, and secularism.

I have come to a conclusion that no politician or film star has any morals or principles. They are always look out to win favors with the public by using religion. Every single one of them is a hypocrite!

I have come to a conclusion that no politician or film star has any morals or principles. They are always look out to win favors with the public by using religion. Every single one of them is a hypocrite!

This is not really true. Politicians and film stars do have morals, but they are 21st century morals of materialism and fame. Of course politicians and film stars will put popularity above all other considerations, that is their livelihood. If they can score points of Malala or Imran Khan like his ex-wife, then they will grab that opportunity with both hands.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Malala?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Malala</a> Yousafzai talks to me about her new venture "Assembly" - a platform for girls around the world to share their thoughts, challenges and accomplishments. Take a listen below<a href="https://twitter.com/MalalaFund?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MalalaFund</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Malala?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Malala</a> <a href="https://t.co/TqxPUOwqc7">pic.twitter.com/TqxPUOwqc7</a></p>— Zain Asher (@ZainAsher) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZainAsher/status/1412157472102666252?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="instagram-media" data-instgrm-captioned data-instgrm-permalink="https://www.instagram.com/p/CROet3GMrSC/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" data-instgrm-version="13" style=" background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);"><div style="padding:16px;"> <a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/CROet3GMrSC/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" background:#FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank"> <div style=" display: flex; flex-direction: row; align-items: center;"> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 60px;"></div></div></div><div style="padding: 19% 0;"></div> <div style="display:block; height:50px; margin:0 auto 12px; width:50px;"><svg width="50px" height="50px" viewBox="0 0 60 60" version="1.1" xmlns="https://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><g stroke="none" stroke-width="1" fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"><g transform="translate(-511.000000, -20.000000)" fill="#000000"><g><path d="M556.869,30.41 C554.814,30.41 553.148,32.076 553.148,34.131 C553.148,36.186 554.814,37.852 556.869,37.852 C558.924,37.852 560.59,36.186 560.59,34.131 C560.59,32.076 558.924,30.41 556.869,30.41 M541,60.657 C535.114,60.657 530.342,55.887 530.342,50 C530.342,44.114 535.114,39.342 541,39.342 C546.887,39.342 551.658,44.114 551.658,50 C551.658,55.887 546.887,60.657 541,60.657 M541,33.886 C532.1,33.886 524.886,41.1 524.886,50 C524.886,58.899 532.1,66.113 541,66.113 C549.9,66.113 557.115,58.899 557.115,50 C557.115,41.1 549.9,33.886 541,33.886 M565.378,62.101 C565.244,65.022 564.756,66.606 564.346,67.663 C563.803,69.06 563.154,70.057 562.106,71.106 C561.058,72.155 560.06,72.803 558.662,73.347 C557.607,73.757 556.021,74.244 553.102,74.378 C549.944,74.521 548.997,74.552 541,74.552 C533.003,74.552 532.056,74.521 528.898,74.378 C525.979,74.244 524.393,73.757 523.338,73.347 C521.94,72.803 520.942,72.155 519.894,71.106 C518.846,70.057 518.197,69.06 517.654,67.663 C517.244,66.606 516.755,65.022 516.623,62.101 C516.479,58.943 516.448,57.996 516.448,50 C516.448,42.003 516.479,41.056 516.623,37.899 C516.755,34.978 517.244,33.391 517.654,32.338 C518.197,30.938 518.846,29.942 519.894,28.894 C520.942,27.846 521.94,27.196 523.338,26.654 C524.393,26.244 525.979,25.756 528.898,25.623 C532.057,25.479 533.004,25.448 541,25.448 C548.997,25.448 549.943,25.479 553.102,25.623 C556.021,25.756 557.607,26.244 558.662,26.654 C560.06,27.196 561.058,27.846 562.106,28.894 C563.154,29.942 563.803,30.938 564.346,32.338 C564.756,33.391 565.244,34.978 565.378,37.899 C565.522,41.056 565.552,42.003 565.552,50 C565.552,57.996 565.522,58.943 565.378,62.101 M570.82,37.631 C570.674,34.438 570.167,32.258 569.425,30.349 C568.659,28.377 567.633,26.702 565.965,25.035 C564.297,23.368 562.623,22.342 560.652,21.575 C558.743,20.834 556.562,20.326 553.369,20.18 C550.169,20.033 549.148,20 541,20 C532.853,20 531.831,20.033 528.631,20.18 C525.438,20.326 523.257,20.834 521.349,21.575 C519.376,22.342 517.703,23.368 516.035,25.035 C514.368,26.702 513.342,28.377 512.574,30.349 C511.834,32.258 511.326,34.438 511.181,37.631 C511.035,40.831 511,41.851 511,50 C511,58.147 511.035,59.17 511.181,62.369 C511.326,65.562 511.834,67.743 512.574,69.651 C513.342,71.625 514.368,73.296 516.035,74.965 C517.703,76.634 519.376,77.658 521.349,78.425 C523.257,79.167 525.438,79.673 528.631,79.82 C531.831,79.965 532.853,80.001 541,80.001 C549.148,80.001 550.169,79.965 553.369,79.82 C556.562,79.673 558.743,79.167 560.652,78.425 C562.623,77.658 564.297,76.634 565.965,74.965 C567.633,73.296 568.659,71.625 569.425,69.651 C570.167,67.743 570.674,65.562 570.82,62.369 C570.966,59.17 571,58.147 571,50 C571,41.851 570.966,40.831 570.82,37.631"></path></g></g></g></svg></div><div style="padding-top: 8px;"> <div style=" color:#3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram</div></div><div style="padding: 12.5% 0;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: row; margin-bottom: 14px; align-items: center;"><div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);"></div></div><div style="margin-left: 8px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 20px; width: 20px;"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 2px solid transparent; border-left: 6px solid #f4f4f4; border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)"></div></div><div style="margin-left: auto;"> <div style=" width: 0px; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-right: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(16px);"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);"></div></div></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center; margin-bottom: 24px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 224px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 144px;"></div></div></a><p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;"><a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/CROet3GMrSC/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Malala (@malala)</a></p></div></blockquote> <script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>

LAHORE: The Punjab Curriculum and Textbook Board (PCTB) has issued a clarification on why it has confiscated a school textbook after a social media controversy suggested that it was done for including education activist Malala Yousafzai's picture in a list of important personalities.

The PCTB confiscated a social studies book, saying that it was published despite not being issued a no-objection certificate.

A PCTB spokesperson said the entire stock of the book was picked up from a book market in Lahore.

He said it was published by a private publisher without an NOC.

A picture of a page inside the book circulating on social media suggests that the book was confiscated for including Malala's picture on an important personalities list.

The PCTB spokesperson, however, denied media reports saying that action against the private publisher was taken for printing a picture of Malala alongside that of 1965 war hero Maj Aziz Bhatti Shaheed in the list of important personalities.

According to a report in Dawn, pictures of some important personalities had been published on page 33 of the book. They included Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, national poet Allama Iqbal, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, Liaqat Ali Khan, legendary philanthropist Abdul Sattar Edhi, Begum Raana Liaquat Ali Khan, Nishan-i-Haider recipient Maj Aziz Bhatti Shaheed and activist Malala Yousafzai.

Last year, the PCTB had banned 100 textbooks being taught in private schools deeming them “anti-national” and “blasphemous”.

According to the banned list obtained by Geo.tv, 17 books were taught to class-I students, 18 were taught in class-II, 19 in class-III, 24 in class-IV, 13 in class-V, 4 in class-VI, three in class-VII, one to class-IX and one to both class-IX and X.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/359775-sc...ted-in-punjab-for-being-published-without-noc

<blockquote class="instagram-media" data-instgrm-captioned data-instgrm-permalink="https://www.instagram.com/p/CROet3GMrSC/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" data-instgrm-version="13" style=" background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);"><div style="padding:16px;"> <a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/CROet3GMrSC/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" background:#FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank"> <div style=" display: flex; flex-direction: row; align-items: center;"> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 60px;"></div></div></div><div style="padding: 19% 0;"></div> <div style="display:block; height:50px; margin:0 auto 12px; width:50px;"><svg width="50px" height="50px" viewBox="0 0 60 60" version="1.1" xmlns="https://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><g stroke="none" stroke-width="1" fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"><g transform="translate(-511.000000, -20.000000)" fill="#000000"><g><path d="M556.869,30.41 C554.814,30.41 553.148,32.076 553.148,34.131 C553.148,36.186 554.814,37.852 556.869,37.852 C558.924,37.852 560.59,36.186 560.59,34.131 C560.59,32.076 558.924,30.41 556.869,30.41 M541,60.657 C535.114,60.657 530.342,55.887 530.342,50 C530.342,44.114 535.114,39.342 541,39.342 C546.887,39.342 551.658,44.114 551.658,50 C551.658,55.887 546.887,60.657 541,60.657 M541,33.886 C532.1,33.886 524.886,41.1 524.886,50 C524.886,58.899 532.1,66.113 541,66.113 C549.9,66.113 557.115,58.899 557.115,50 C557.115,41.1 549.9,33.886 541,33.886 M565.378,62.101 C565.244,65.022 564.756,66.606 564.346,67.663 C563.803,69.06 563.154,70.057 562.106,71.106 C561.058,72.155 560.06,72.803 558.662,73.347 C557.607,73.757 556.021,74.244 553.102,74.378 C549.944,74.521 548.997,74.552 541,74.552 C533.003,74.552 532.056,74.521 528.898,74.378 C525.979,74.244 524.393,73.757 523.338,73.347 C521.94,72.803 520.942,72.155 519.894,71.106 C518.846,70.057 518.197,69.06 517.654,67.663 C517.244,66.606 516.755,65.022 516.623,62.101 C516.479,58.943 516.448,57.996 516.448,50 C516.448,42.003 516.479,41.056 516.623,37.899 C516.755,34.978 517.244,33.391 517.654,32.338 C518.197,30.938 518.846,29.942 519.894,28.894 C520.942,27.846 521.94,27.196 523.338,26.654 C524.393,26.244 525.979,25.756 528.898,25.623 C532.057,25.479 533.004,25.448 541,25.448 C548.997,25.448 549.943,25.479 553.102,25.623 C556.021,25.756 557.607,26.244 558.662,26.654 C560.06,27.196 561.058,27.846 562.106,28.894 C563.154,29.942 563.803,30.938 564.346,32.338 C564.756,33.391 565.244,34.978 565.378,37.899 C565.522,41.056 565.552,42.003 565.552,50 C565.552,57.996 565.522,58.943 565.378,62.101 M570.82,37.631 C570.674,34.438 570.167,32.258 569.425,30.349 C568.659,28.377 567.633,26.702 565.965,25.035 C564.297,23.368 562.623,22.342 560.652,21.575 C558.743,20.834 556.562,20.326 553.369,20.18 C550.169,20.033 549.148,20 541,20 C532.853,20 531.831,20.033 528.631,20.18 C525.438,20.326 523.257,20.834 521.349,21.575 C519.376,22.342 517.703,23.368 516.035,25.035 C514.368,26.702 513.342,28.377 512.574,30.349 C511.834,32.258 511.326,34.438 511.181,37.631 C511.035,40.831 511,41.851 511,50 C511,58.147 511.035,59.17 511.181,62.369 C511.326,65.562 511.834,67.743 512.574,69.651 C513.342,71.625 514.368,73.296 516.035,74.965 C517.703,76.634 519.376,77.658 521.349,78.425 C523.257,79.167 525.438,79.673 528.631,79.82 C531.831,79.965 532.853,80.001 541,80.001 C549.148,80.001 550.169,79.965 553.369,79.82 C556.562,79.673 558.743,79.167 560.652,78.425 C562.623,77.658 564.297,76.634 565.965,74.965 C567.633,73.296 568.659,71.625 569.425,69.651 C570.167,67.743 570.674,65.562 570.82,62.369 C570.966,59.17 571,58.147 571,50 C571,41.851 570.966,40.831 570.82,37.631"></path></g></g></g></svg></div><div style="padding-top: 8px;"> <div style=" color:#3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram</div></div><div style="padding: 12.5% 0;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: row; margin-bottom: 14px; align-items: center;"><div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);"></div></div><div style="margin-left: 8px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 20px; width: 20px;"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 2px solid transparent; border-left: 6px solid #f4f4f4; border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)"></div></div><div style="margin-left: auto;"> <div style=" width: 0px; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-right: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(16px);"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);"></div></div></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center; margin-bottom: 24px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 224px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 144px;"></div></div></a><p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;"><a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/CROet3GMrSC/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Malala (@malala)</a></p></div></blockquote> <script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>

She does have a good sense of humour. Bless her.

Instead of Malala, we should put a picture of Ahsanullah Ahsan and Khadim Rizvi in our social studies book. The hatred for women in this country is despicable!

https://www.geo.tv/latest/359858-new-low-hrcp-demands-punjab-revoke-order-to-confiscate-textbook-containing-malalas-image

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HECP) on Tuesday demanded the Punjab Curriculum and Textbook Board (PCTB) to immediately withdraw the order of confiscating a school textbook that contains education activist Malala Yousafzai's picture in a list of important personalities.

A picture of a page inside the book circulating on social media suggests that the book was confiscated for including Malala's picture on an important personalities list.

According to a report in Dawn, pictures of some important personalities had been published on page 33 of the book. They included Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, national poet Allama Iqbal, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, Liaqat Ali Khan, legendary philanthropist Abdul Sattar Edhi, Begum Raana Liaquat Ali Khan, Nishan-i-Haider recipient Maj Aziz Bhatti Shaheed, and activist Malala Yousafzai.

"The PCTB's confiscation of a textbook - allegedly because it features a picture of Nobel laureate and rights activist @Malala Yousafzai - is a new low in the state's attempts to control information and manipulate public discourse," the HRCP said in a statement issued on Twitter.

"The PCTB must withdraw this order immediately," it added.

Issuing a clarification after the backlash, the PCTB said it had confiscated the social studies book as it was published despite not being issued a no-objection certificate.

A PCTB spokesperson said the entire stock of the book was picked up from a book market in Lahore and clarified that Malala's image was not the issue.

He said it was published by a private publisher without an NOC.

Last year, the PCTB had banned 100 textbooks being taught in private schools deeming them “anti-national” and “blasphemous”.

According to the banned list obtained by Geo.tv, 17 books were taught to class-I students, 18 were taught in class-II, 19 in class-III, 24 in class-IV, 13 in class-V, 4 in class-VI, three in class-VII, one to class-IX and one to both class-IX and X.

Pakistan’s private colleges federation releases anti-Malala documentary, promises to show it 20 million college students to expose the Nobel laureate’s anti-Islam stance.

Why are Pakistanis so enraged by strong women who stand up for their rights and refused to be silenced and abused?

Education activist Malala Yousafzai says she loved to play cricket as a girl, but that boys wouldn't throw the ball to her the same way they did to each other.

"As a girl, I loved to play cricket with my friends and brothers. But I noticed that boys would throw a slower ball to me, assuming girls were afraid to hit a fast ball," Malala wrote on Instagram.

She said she would always shout back at these boys and told them to throw the ball like they would if she were a boy.

The Nobel laureate spoke about the importance of sports. For her, playing sports helped give her the boldness to be competitive and resilient in her fight for girls’ education and equality.

The young Pakistani education activist turned 24 years old last week.

Read more: Safety and education for women most important part of Afghan peace talks, says Malala

Born in Mingora, Pakistan, in 1997, Malala has been speaking up for girls' education since 2008 when the Taliban had banned girls from going to school in Swat district.

Malala rose to fame after the Taliban attacked her in 2012 for campaigning for girls' education in her village despite the ban. The then-teenager was shot in the face, after which she was rushed to the hospital. The government of Pakistan later sent her to the United Kingdom for further treatment.

Since the attack, Malala has been living in the UK. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Oxford last year.

The teenager gathered public attention from media across the globe and has given numerous interviews in newspapers and television shows since her near-death experience. She is also the co-founder of her non-profit organisation, Malala Fund.

GEO

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome to Lord's, <a href="https://twitter.com/Malala?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Malala</a> &#55357;&#56395;<br><br>She is at the Home of Cricket as a guest of <a href="https://twitter.com/MCCOfficial?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MCCOfficial</a> President, <a href="https://twitter.com/KumarSanga2?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@KumarSanga2</a>.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LoveLords?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LoveLords</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheHundred?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheHundred</a> <a href="https://t.co/xZsyDNz3CJ">pic.twitter.com/xZsyDNz3CJ</a></p>— Lord's Cricket Ground (@HomeOfCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/HomeOfCricket/status/1419259410845769729?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 25, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome to Lord's, <a href="https://twitter.com/Malala?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Malala</a> &#55357;&#56395;<br><br>She is at the Home of Cricket as a guest of <a href="https://twitter.com/MCCOfficial?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MCCOfficial</a> President, <a href="https://twitter.com/KumarSanga2?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@KumarSanga2</a>.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LoveLords?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LoveLords</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheHundred?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheHundred</a> <a href="https://t.co/xZsyDNz3CJ">pic.twitter.com/xZsyDNz3CJ</a></p>— Lord's Cricket Ground (@HomeOfCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/HomeOfCricket/status/1419259410845769729?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 25, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A remarkable girl!

Malala says girls' education 'worth fighting for'

"Too many education systems are falling short", with more than 130 million girls missing out on school around the world, Malala Yousafzai has warned.

"Their futures are worth fighting for," the education campaigner told a global education summit in London.

She said the recovery from the pandemic had to mean fair access to education.

The Global Partnership for Education summit wants to raise $5bn (£3.6bn) to support education in some of the world's poorest countries.

Hosted by the UK and Kenya, it will raise funds for the next five years, creating an extra 88 million school places and supporting the learning of 175 million children.

'Biggest game-changer'
The pandemic has exacerbated the problems already facing schools in poorer countries - with warnings that children who were forced out of school because of coronavirus might never return.

The UK has promised £430m and other donor countries will be making pledges - with about $4bn (£2.9bn) of the total expected to be promised by Thursday, in what is claimed as the biggest ever education fundraising event.

Julia Gillard, former Australian prime minister and chair of the Global Partnership for Education, which distributes funding from donor countries, was confident that the full $5bn would be raised, but different national budget cycles would mean it would arrive in stages.

She said the pandemic had disrupted education in all countries - but the impact of closing schools had been much worse in poorer countries where many families lacked access at home to internet connections or electricity.

The summit wants to support the education of 175 million children in the world's poorest countries

Malala, a Nobel prize winner from Pakistan who has campaigned for female education, told the summit in London of the importance of investing in education, particularly for girls who don't have opportunities "just because of their gender".

"Too many children around the world - girls in particular - were already out of school before the pandemic," said UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

"Enabling them to learn and reach their full potential is the single greatest thing we can do to recover from this crisis," he said, urging the international community to contribute funding.

However, Mr Johnson has faced criticism, including from some of his own MPs, for pushing ahead with a cut in the UK's overseas aid budget.

But Gabriela Bucher, executive director of Oxfam, questioned the priorities of a world in which billionaires could compete in launching private space rockets while millions of children are unable to go to school.

She also warned of the negative impact from the UK "dramatically cutting aid".

"It will especially leave girls less healthy and less safe, before they even set foot in the classroom," said the aid charity head.

Opening the event, UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab emphasised the value of investing in girls' education as the "engine of progress" - with better-educated mothers improving the health and wellbeing of their families.

Education for girls is the "biggest game-changer", he told the summit.

Kenya's cabinet secretary for foreign affairs Raychel Omamo warned of the disruption caused by the pandemic - but said "education is the pathway, the way forward".

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-58006728.amp

Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai said she was deeply concerned about the situation in Afghanistan, particularly the safety of women and girls, and called on Monday for world leaders to take urgent action.

Yousafzai said Biden "has a lot to do" and must "take a bold step" to protect the Afghan people, adding she had been trying to reach out to several global leaders.

"This is actually an urgent humanitarian crisis right now that we need to provide our help and support," Yousafzai told BBC Newsnight.

Yousafzai, 23, survived being shot in the head by a Taliban gunman in 2012, after she was targeted for her campaign against its efforts to deny women education.

She had become known as an 11-year-old, writing a blog under a pen name for the BBC about living under the rule of the Taliban.

"I am deeply concerned about the situation in Afghanistan right now, especially about the safety of women and girls there," Yousafzai told Newsnight.

"I had the opportunity to talk to a few activists in Afghanistan, including women's rights activists, and they are sharing their concern that they are not sure what their life is going to be like."

Yousafzai said she had sent a letter to Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan asking him to admit Afghan refugees and ensure that all refugee children "have access to education, have access to safety and protection, that their futures are not lost."

Yousafzai moved to England after she was shot, where she received medical treatment and last year graduated from Oxford University with a Philosophy, Politics and Economics degree.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/365679-ma...-leaders-to-take-urgent-action-on-afghanistan

There is no humanitarian refugee crisis in Afghanistan because there is no civil war.

The displaced people are those who displaced by afghan army bombing them , now that those areas are secure the people can return back to their home towns and villages and try to rebuild their lives again.

What the west wanted was a civil war with afghan army and militias in a protacted bloody civil war with the taliban spilling over into neighbouring countries and destabilising the whole region in particular pakistan.

Never happened.

So now the propaganda has changed to women and girls in danger eventhough the taliban controlled large areas of Afghanistan whilst usa nato were present right under their noses, so why didn't these nato us troops rescue these women 20 years ago in areas controlled by the taliban.

Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai said she was deeply concerned about the situation in Afghanistan, particularly the safety of women and girls, and called on Monday for world leaders to take urgent action.

Yousafzai said Biden "has a lot to do" and must "take a bold step" to protect the Afghan people, adding she had been trying to reach out to several global leaders.

"This is actually an urgent humanitarian crisis right now that we need to provide our help and support," Yousafzai told BBC Newsnight.

Yousafzai, 23, survived being shot in the head by a Taliban gunman in 2012, after she was targeted for her campaign against its efforts to deny women education.

She had become known as an 11-year-old, writing a blog under a pen name for the BBC about living under the rule of the Taliban.

"I am deeply concerned about the situation in Afghanistan right now, especially about the safety of women and girls there," Yousafzai told Newsnight.

"I had the opportunity to talk to a few activists in Afghanistan, including women's rights activists, and they are sharing their concern that they are not sure what their life is going to be like."

Yousafzai said she had sent a letter to Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan asking him to admit Afghan refugees and ensure that all refugee children "have access to education, have access to safety and protection, that their futures are not lost."

Yousafzai moved to England after she was shot, where she received medical treatment and last year graduated from Oxford University with a Philosophy, Politics and Economics degree.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/365679-ma...-leaders-to-take-urgent-action-on-afghanistan

Don't disagree when it comes to the welfare of women; however

will she also follow up on this and see if this pig was investigated and prosecuted in India?

https://nation.com.pk/23-Jun-2016/i...rig-sk-narain-expelled-for-raping-afghan-girl

Don't disagree when it comes to the welfare of women; however

will she also follow up on this and see if this pig was investigated and prosecuted in India?

https://nation.com.pk/23-Jun-2016/i...rig-sk-narain-expelled-for-raping-afghan-girl

You sound a lot like many other countrymen who are always looking to catch Malala off-guard by bringing up ‘Did she condemn this?’/ ‘Did she condemn that?’

Why do you expect a 23-year old to condemn every single event that happens on planet earth? We all should be proud that we have produced such a peaceful, brave, and compassionate Pakistani which is a rarity!

You sound a lot like many other countrymen who are always looking to catch Malala off-guard by bringing up ‘Did she condemn this?’/ ‘Did she condemn that?’

Why do you expect a 23-year old to condemn every single event that happens on planet earth? We all should be proud that we have produced such a peaceful, brave, and compassionate Pakistani which is a rarity!

read again ... I did not used the words "Did she".

I know but you have the same line of thinking as all of her detractors.

So are you a mind reader, now?

On topic, she is a propaganda tool. Her life is a sham.

Still she earned Western passports for her extended family, so that's something! Good for them!

Still she earned Western passports for her extended family, so that's something! Good for them!

Her life is a sham? She is literally the reason Swat Valley got a life. She might be used as a propaganda tool but if it’s helpful to women’s education whats the big deal?

Now please don’t say Tk-Taliban didn't destroy Swat Valley ?

Her life is a sham? She is literally the reason Swat Valley got a life. She might be used as a propaganda tool but if it’s helpful to women’s education whats the big deal?

Now please don’t say Tk-Taliban didn't destroy Swat Valley ?

Leave it, buddy.

Beating a dead horse and all that.

Speaking for female education is the biggest sin! No wonder Pakistan has a literacy rate of 44.5%!

You are criticising Malala for having a foreign passport while you are living abroad!

By the way, why is her life a sham?

You know very exactly what I am talking about.

I am not ridiculing Malala. She is a hustler and in a way I respect her (and her father's) intelligence. They made the best out of a terrorist attack. But there were so many other little girls murdered / being murdered by terrorists. If these girls were to survive and become a propaganda mouthpiece, I'd say the same thing about them. This topic has been discussed to death at PP.

As I said, this is the logical decision. Same as that Afghan Diplomat's daughter who was supposedly kidnapped and beaten by "Pakistan communist goons" :)) She is in Germany living la vida loca.

According to you, it is Malala’s fault that she survived?

Malala represents all the girls who died at the hands of terrorists. She is a symbol of courage, bravery and perseverance. Similarly, although tens of thousands of Pakistanis died during partition, only Mohammad Ali Jinnah is remembered because he represents all those killed. It works like this!

I do not understand why people do not question other symbols such as Jinnah, Martin Luther King, Mandela and come up with silly excuses like they do in the case of Malala? Why only look at Malala with suspicion?

According to you, it is Malala’s fault that she survived?

Malala represents all the girls who died at the hands of terrorists. She is a symbol of courage, bravery and perseverance. Similarly, although tens of thousands of Pakistanis died during partition, only Mohammad Ali Jinnah is remembered because he represents all those killed. It works like this!

I do not understand why people do not question other symbols such as Jinnah, Martin Luther King, Mandela and come up with silly excuses like they do in the case of Malala? Why only look at Malala with suspicion?

Lol.

It does not work like this.

Back