MS Dhoni is better than Michael Bevan - He is the BEST finisher of the game

Simply put he waited for the end to put SL under max pressure. He couldn't run very quickly due to his hamstring problem. It was a masterclass.

Dhoni IMO is the best of all time but the attacks around the world aren't as strong as those that Bevan faced. Then again you can only attack what's in front of you.

If I had to make a choice, I would go for Dhoni due to his power.

Also Bevan had better bowlers but slower fielders and had a strike rate wayyyyyyyyyyyy below Dhoni..Also he was part of a strong Aussie team whereas Dhoni is leading a mediocre+ Indian team...overall Dhoni irrespective of which era they played in

Also Bevan had better bowlers but slower fielders and had a strike rate wayyyyyyyyyyyy below Dhoni..Also he was part of a strong Aussie team whereas Dhoni is leading a mediocre+ Indian team...overall Dhoni irrespective of which era they played in

I hope you are talking about the opposition's bowler cuz only that comes anywhere near making sense.. and If anything, it only boosts bevan's case.

And in what world is this Indian team mediocre/mediocre+ ...? Its a very good side if you keep the pace duo of Ishant and Umesh out. The team fielded in the CT tournament was really a solid team.

Dhoni doesn't even have a single century outside Asia in any format and amount of hype he gets ione would think as if he is second coming of Bradman.
Inzi, Bevan, Hussey all better than him.

Dhoni doesn't even have a single century outside Asia in any format and amount of hype he gets ione would think as if he is second coming of Bradman.
Inzi, Bevan, Hussey all better than him.

Agree with you. Centuries outside asia is a matter of concern for Dhoni in ODIs

The best part was that nobody was surprised! It's sort of becoming an ordinance.. :)

Agree with you. Centuries outside asia is a matter of concern for Dhoni in ODIs

yes sir at number 6 the 100's are important..not the matches he finished against australia in 2008 and again in last cb series or cracking form he was in england
cracking form again in new zealand in new zealand..

bevan had 6 hundreds guess why ?

So, Dhoni is not good because he only wins the matches but what about centuries ?

Tendulkar is not good because he only scores centuries but does not win matches..

Anything to put down India's great ODI players. As if other team's batsmen are dishing match winning centuries every other day.

So, Dhoni is not good because he only wins the matches but what about centuries ?

Tendulkar is not good because he only scores centuries but does not win matches..

Anything to put down India's great ODI players. As if other team's batsmen are dishing match winning centuries every other day.

Sheer jealousy. Hate anything Indian..

I dont think there's much to choose between Dhoni and Bevan.

The only major difference being their SR's -

Dhoni has an SR of 88, while Bevan had an SR of 74.

Plus Dhoni looks good to join the elite 10,000 run club in the coming few years. Might also
become the first batsman to do so at an average of 50+. Staggering!

I dont think there's much to choose between Dhoni and Bevan.

The only major difference being their SR's -

Dhoni has an SR of 88, while Bevan had an SR of 74.

Plus Dhoni looks good to join the elite 10,000 run club in the coming few years. Might also
become the first batsman to do so at an average of 50+. Staggering!

That comes down to the eras they played. Bevan's was respectable when he played and so is Dhoni's now..

yes sir at number 6 the 100's are important..not the matches he finished against australia in 2008 and again in last cb series or cracking form he was in england
cracking form again in new zealand in new zealand..

bevan had 6 hundreds guess why ?

get a bit of sarcasm in it :)

Expletives were flowing from my mouth in that last over when Dhoni was finishing the match with those huge sixes .... not bcoz i was angry or something .... but just in awe of what was unfolding .... there never have been a brave man taking on the field than MSD ... he is brave, calm, sure about himself .... and without any ego ....

Bevan my foot..... Whenever there is a big final .... or that crucial crucial match .... it has to be Dhoni ... Bevan can go have his lollipop....

Bevan was part of the reason Australia developed the frightening aura that they could win from any given situation.

Dhoni similarly has helped an Indian team that was destined to lose in big games without Sachin get over that mentality.

Bevan was a conservative quick singles/twos player who could astonish you with phenomenal big hitting when the pressure required it.

Dhoni was a big hitter who surprised everyone by developing the ability to work in singles.

Other than a World XI vs Asia game I don't remember Bevan doing anything spectacular in Asia, just as Dhoni's ODI exploits outside Asia are limited to the recent triseries in Aus.

I'd pick Dhoni because some of his big hits are more mind-blowing from a viewing point apart from the fact that he does this after having kept and captained all day.

Would have been nice if some of the people here actually watched Bevan play rather than discovering his existence off the internet.

Expletives were flowing from my mouth in that last over when Dhoni was finishing the match with those huge sixes .... not bcoz i was angry or something .... but just in awe of what was unfolding .... there never have been a brave man taking on the field than MSD ... he is brave, calm, sure about himself .... and without any ego ....

Bevan my foot..... Whenever there is a big final .... or that crucial crucial match .... it has to be Dhoni ... Bevan can go have his lollipop....

Yeh thoda jyada ho gaya.. I think you have let your emotions take over your argument..

Bevan was part of the reason Australia developed the frightening aura that they could win from any given situation.

Dhoni similarly has helped an Indian team that was destined to lose in big games without Sachin get over that mentality.

Bevan was a conservative quick singles/twos player who could astonish you with phenomenal big hitting when the pressure required it.

Dhoni was a big hitter who surprised everyone by developing the ability to work in singles.

Other than a World XI vs Asia game I don't remember Bevan doing anything spectacular in Asia, just as Dhoni's ODI exploits outside Asia are limited to the recent triseries in Aus.

I'd pick Dhoni because some of his big hits are more mind-blowing from a viewing point apart from the fact that he does this after having kept and captained all day.

Would have been nice if some of the people here actually watched Bevan play rather than discovering his existence off the internet.

you are saying this to make ur post look balanced
dhoni has scored in england,new zealand,australia (two times )
and ofc everywhere in asia and now match winning knock in west indies
only place he failed is south africa and that might change next time. .

you are saying this to make ur post look balanced
dhoni has scored in england,new zealand,australia (two times )
and ofc everywhere in asia and now match winning knock in west indies
only place he failed is south africa and that might change next time. .

Wasn't the knock he played in NZ on the back of Sachin's 150 odd - the one with that shot where he hit a six without taking his gaze off the pitch?

Don't recall his England exploits. Apologies, must be my memory since I only remember Rahane from that tour.

In SA, he has played one of his best ever innings (in Test cricket though) - a 90 odd in partnership with SRT. But we're on ODIs, hence it's probably irrelevant.

Dhoni is better than Bevan. He is the BEST finisher in the game

As usual people suffering from nostalgia. Bevan was awesome but Dhoni is far better.

Wasn't the knock he played in NZ on the back of Sachin's 150 odd - the one with that shot where he hit a six without taking his gaze off the pitch?

Don't recall his England exploits. Apologies, must be my memory since I only remember Rahane from that tour.

In SA, he has played one of his best ever innings (in Test cricket though) - a 90 odd in partnership with SRT. But we're on ODIs, hence it's probably irrelevant.

Yes, Dhoni was brilliant in Eng in ODIs..

The similarity b/w Dhoni and Bevan is that both are ODI greats and average players in Test matches.

lets say england did not dismiss for whole 2 odi series :p

If 15 needed of last over, I will always pick Dhoni over anyone else (with an exception of Klusener)..

If Dhoni hadn't played that innings in WC final, I would rate Bevan as better carrier of innings than Dhoni.

It's our nature to glorify the past.

it is specially now as most good players are either very young or in middle phase where they are not considered great but some one who is near greatness ..

soon after these guys like amla,abdv,dhoni retire people will understand how good these guys were..

the career dhoni is having is mind blowing and people will consider it like a myth 10-15 years from now how dhoni finished games..im serious i saw my team lose match after match chasing targets and now people dont want us to bat second cos of him and other players who are inspired by him..

It's also our nature to praise the current as the best ever without watching the past.

We weren't born yesterday.

We all have seen Bevan. Fantastic player, but Dhoni is better.

You are entitled to your opinion though.

it is specially now as most good players are either very young or in middle phase where they are not considered great but some one who is near greatness ..

soon after these guys like amla,abdv,dhoni retire people will understand how good these guys were..

the career dhoni is having is mind blowing and people will consider it like a myth 10-15 years from now how dhoni finished games..im serious i saw my team lose match after match chasing targets and now people dont want us to bat second cos of him and other players who are inspired by him..

Yes true. But Amla has to show some performances in ICC events. He has a failure up til now.

We weren't born yesterday.

We all have seen Bevan. Fantastic player, but Dhoni is better.

You are entitled to your opinion though.

You are also entitled to opinion, but when you say nostalgia is the only reason why past players are glorified (you did not say 'only' but I am assuming you implied that), it's disrespect to other's opinions.

Too many times, I see Eng/Aus new players are called the best since Bradman, a disrespect to the many greats b/w Bradman and that new sensation. It's not only about Eng/Aus, but common scenario.

So, no, it's not the past only which gets wrongly glorified, it's present also.

Did you see his innings in Eng ODIs ? what is spectacular ?

Spectacular is what he did in a runchase vs Inzy's Pak in 2005-06, the WC final, his 90 odd in a test vs SA in SA, last night's final over and so on. I don't remember exactly his Eng knocks and maybe it's because my mind was totally scrambled after the wretched Tests. So you guys might have a point about it. Just don't remember anything that sticks.

i saw my team lose match after match chasing targets and now people dont want us to bat second cos of him and other players who are inspired by him..

I'd distribute a lot of that credit among Yuvraj and Raina (during Dravid's tenure) when India became a team that was no longer scared of chasing.

Spectacular is what he did in a runchase vs Inzy's Pak in 2005-06, the WC final, his 90 odd in a test vs SA in SA, last night's final over and so on. I don't remember exactly his Eng knocks and maybe it's because my mind was totally scrambled after the wretched Tests. So you guys might have a point about it. Just don't remember anything that sticks.

I'd distribute a lot of that credit among Yuvraj and Raina (during Dravid's tenure) when India became a team that was no longer scared of chasing.

raina?
it was always dravid,dhoni and yuvi always..

You are also entitled to opinion, but when you say nostalgia is the only reason why past players are glorified (you did not say 'only' but I am assuming you implied that), it's disrespect to other's opinions.

Too many times, I see Eng/Aus new players are called the best since Bradman, a disrespect to the many greats b/w Bradman and that new sensation. It's not only about Eng/Aus, but common scenario.

So, no, it's not the past only which gets wrongly glorified, it's present also.

It isn't the only reason but it is a big factor certainly.

Today I see people drooling over Ijaz Ahmed. Yes he always had a blinder up his sleeve like the one against India in Lahore and turned it on against the Aussies but he was a highly inconsistent player and his average reflects that.

it is natural for people took look back on retired players with a positive mindset.

Yes true. But Amla has to show some performances in ICC events. He has a failure up til now.

i agree even talked about that in some thread ,,
but hope u get my point in test smith will soon be considered great like langer
there are just many other players who are on verge of getting following like old legends :p

people look back and think there aren o great players now but there are definitely some great performances coming through and great performances make great players :)

there are just many other players who are on verge of getting following like old legends :p

people look back and think there aren o great players now but there are definitely some great performances coming through and great performances make great players :)

I agree.

Smith is ATG test opener and a legend. but people hesitate to talk about him in the same light as the likes of Gavaskar.

Once he retires, people will glorify him.

raina?
it was always dravid,dhoni and yuvi always..

Raina's first year or so in cricket where we chased and created some sort of record for most consecutive wins or something. Yeah Dhoni was part of the team too, but Raina and Yuvi were very consistent and used to bat the way Dhoni does now - singles, twos, a four here and there while Dhoni stuck to being explosive.

It isn't the only reason but it is a big factor certainly.

Today I see people drooling over Ijaz Ahmed. Yes he always had a blinder up his sleeve like the one against India in Lahore and turned it on against the Aussies but he was a highly inconsistent player and his average reflects that.

it is natural for people took look back on retired players with a positive mindset.

That's true.. Fast bowlers become faster after they retire..

I am only saying the wrong perception cuts the other way also. Didn't we glorify Clarke as the next Bradman, Ashraful as the next Tendulkar, and Amir as better than Wasim based on a handful of performances and promise ?

Even Tendulkar was called best after Bradman, totally ignoring Richards/Chappell/Hadlee/Pollock and many others.. not that he wasn't deserving, but people ignore all the other greats and put the current one next to the best of them all.

Last edited:

Langer isn't the same class as Smith. Seriously man.

I agree.

Smith is ATG test opener and a legend. but people hesitate to talk about him in the same light as the likes of Gavaskar.

Once he retires, people will glorify him.

my point exactly ..
people always glorify past more i dont think indian team was ever stronger even batting wise before..
even with fab 3 in team we struggled to put big scores many times now a days we are doing much better some how even without any legend ;)

Raina's first year or so in cricket where we chased and created some sort of record for most consecutive wins or something. Yeah Dhoni was part of the team too, but Raina and Yuvi were very consistent and used to bat the way Dhoni does now - singles, twos, a four here and there while Dhoni stuck to being explosive.

i remember that record it was before world cup
and yes it was dhoni and yuvi finishing the games after dravid setting it up..
raina came after wards he started bullying teams after asia cup in pakistan before that he was hit and miss

Yeh thoda jyada ho gaya.. I think you have let your emotions take over your argument..

Maybe.... but thats what i felt watching that last over... pure joy and euphoria was felt ... should have watched Kohli charge towards Dhoni after the win ....

Anyways let me enjoy it man.... beech mein mat aa....

Especially after those two losses in the start.....:kohli

Maybe.... but thats what i felt watching that last over... pure joy and euphoria was felt ... should have watched Kohli charge towards Dhoni after the win ....

Anyways let me enjoy it man.... beech mein mat aa....

Especially after those two losses in the start.....:kohli

Main beech mein nahin aata, if you hadn't called Bevan my foot and only stuck to celebrating Dhoni.. it's a comparison thread, so please maintain sanity in arguments.

Main beech mein nahin aata, if you hadn't called Bevan my foot and only stuck to celebrating Dhoni.. it's a comparison thread, so please maintain sanity in arguments.

Ok .... then first let Bevan win world cup finals .... and many other finals single handedly .... then we will talk.....

Some people are just sore losers.They would not give credit to any Indian player.

Ok .... then first let Bevan win world cup finals .... and many other finals single handedly .... then we will talk.....

ha ha ha.. he has retired so can't come and prove you wrong.. and FYI, he wasn't even required in any of the WC finals Aus won.. coz of strong top order performances from Aus.

Did Dhoni win the WC 2011 final single-handedly ? What about Gambhir's contribution ?

I think Dhoni might be better than Bevan but only just.. your post implied a gulf of difference b/w the two.

ha ha ha.. he has retired so can't come and prove you wrong.. and FYI, he wasn't even required in any of the WC finals Aus won.. coz of strong top order performances from Aus.

Did Dhoni win the WC 2011 final single-handedly ? What about Gambhir's contribution ?

I think Dhoni might be better than Bevan but only just.. your post implied a gulf of difference b/w the two.

Everyone will remember the six dhoni hit in that final to win the match .... and to some extent the sixes he hit yesterday to win the final again..... forever...

Which shots do you remember of Bevan..... a scrappy single taken to win a match.....

Everyone will remember the six dhoni hit in that final to win the match .... and to some extent the sixes he hit yesterday to win the final again..... forever...

Which shots do you remember of Bevan..... a scrappy single taken to win a match.....

so person who hits six is better player ?
who is better dravid or afridi ? :p

That six wasn't even required.. it was for the crowd.. what a lame argument!!

His innings in final is remembered (rightly so) for the courage he showed in coming at 4 when India was in trouble.. and carried the innings through the end. It was a wonderful innings under pressure.. perhaps his best ODI innings.

But to say that he won the match single-handedly is downplaying Gambhir and to a lesser degree Kohli's contributions..by the time Gambhir threw his wicket, India was almost sure of being in winning position.

And calling Bevan as only a scrappy singles player.. well let's not discuss it further.

Last edited:
That six wasn't even required.. it was for the crowd.. what a lame argument!!

His innings in final is remembered (rightly so) for the courage he showed in coming at 4 when India was in trouble.. and carried the innings through the end. It was a wonderful innings under pressure.. perhaps his best ODI innings.

But to say that he won the match single-handedly is downplaying Gambhir and to a lesser degree Kohli's contributions..by the time Gambhir threw his wicket, India was almost sure of being in winning position.

And calling Bevan as only a scrappy singles player.. well let's not discuss it further.

I am entitled to my opinion or do i have to agree with whatever you say.....

When Dhoni and Bevan will be remembered in future .... there will be images of Dhoni's sixes coming to mind ....

Well many dont even remember how Bevan looked like.... I end my argument.....

When Dhoni and Bevan will be remembered in future .... there will be images of Dhoni's sixes coming to mind ....

argument which was baseless ,un-thoughtful and full of lack of knowledge about cricket..
yes cricket is only remembered cos of sixes ! :)

Many times on this forum, I saw people hiding behind the excuse of "I am entitled to my opinion" argument when their opinion is questioned on the basis of logic and truth.

If we are allowed to post anything and get away with by saying "I am entitled to my opinion".. then nothing will ever reach conclusion.

Many don't remember what Bradman or Richards looked like too.. so on this basis, Dhoni is better than them also.. they had never won their team a final by hitting a six.

argument which was baseless ,un-thoughtful and full of lack of knowledge about cricket..
yes cricket is only remembered cos of sixes ! :)

Cricket may not be remembered for sixes .... but .... hell yeah.... that six will be remembered forever ....

Just like the Miandad's six of Sharjah even after 30 years....

Some things cant be forgotten.....

Many times on this forum, I saw people hiding behind the excuse of "I am entitled to my opinion" argument when their opinion is questioned on the basis of logic and truth.

If we are allowed to post anything and get away with by saying "I am entitled to my opinion".. then nothing will ever reach conclusion.

Many don't remember what Bradman or Richards looked like too.. so on this basis, Dhoni is better than them also.. they had never won their team a final by hitting a six.

What Richards look like .... Public went wild when he entered the stadium as Delhi Daredevils mentor this season ... what are you talking about ..... Dhoni is slowly getting into that league if not already there ....

And who is this Bhuvan or Bevan or whatever his name is.....

Cricket may not be remembered for sixes .... but .... hell yeah.... that six will be remembered forever ....

There is a world of difference b/w these two sixes. While Dhoni's six was only for the crowd, and wasn't required as such, JM's six was the defining shot of the innings with 4 needed of 1 ball.

If you want to pick Dhoni's sixes, his yesterday's and that CB series six against Aus were the required and defining shots.

The WC final six is only marketing and for public images who don't really spend time to know what really happened in the game...

What Richards look like .... Public went wild when he entered the stadium as Delhi Daredevils mentor this season ... what are you talking about ..... Dhoni is slowly getting into that league if not already there ....

And who is this Bhuvan or Bevan or whatever his name is.....

I feel it is pointless to argue further.. you don't remember Bevan is enough to say he was not good.. it's true many don't remember how Richards looked like.. and a great many don't know what Bradman did.. if this is the criterion for greatness, I think Amir Khan (he hit a six too off the last ball, remember and he did it twice) will be called great because Lagaan was such a big hit, everyone remembers.

Chalo.. khush raho.

Last edited:

dhoni himself said that six was not that great as it wasn ot crucial for winning game
six in australia was better against mckay :p

Do u want a match to be won or won in style?
Just cuz a player didnt end the game with a bit of pomp doesnt means his contribution wont count. People who have watched the game and admired good batting skills will always remember bevan.

Silly arguement.

Dhoni is just plain lucky. It just takes a deeper look at the scorecard.

1. The 8th Indian wicket fell on the fifth ball of the 42nd over. At that time, India required 35 runs in 49 balls (RR less than 4 per over). Now Dhoni still manages to get this to 15 off 5 balls!! Thankfully for India, it was an inexperienced Eranga who bowled the last over.

2. Out of those 49 balls (after the fall of the 8th wicket), Dhoni lets the number 10 and 11 face 23 balls (almost 50% of the strike).

3. What was the logic behind dropping your best pace bowler for the final and play a hack like Vinay Kumar instead? If Umesh really needed rest, why couldn't he be rested earlier in the tournament?

I think it would be great to compile a stats of Bevan, Dhoni, Hussey and Inzi ( 4 greatest finishers that we know)

In terms of
1. no. of Matches that these greats finished
2. Getting the team from bad situations but the match may not have won

The comparison of opposition bowlers quality cannot be taken as you deal with what you served.

1. The 8th Indian wicket fell on the fifth ball of the 42nd over. At that time, India required 35 runs in 49 balls (RR less than 4 per over). Now Dhoni still manages to get this to 15 off 5 balls!! Thankfully for India, it was an inexperienced Eranga who bowled the last over.

2. Out of those 49 balls (after the fall of the 8th wicket), Dhoni lets the number 10 and 11 face 23 balls (almost 50% of the strike).

3. What was the logic behind dropping your best pace bowler for the final and play a hack like Vinay Kumar instead? If Umesh really needed rest, why couldn't he be rested earlier in the tournament?

Many questionable tactics indeed.. Coming to batting, Dhoni always does this, like showing the bone to the dog and pocket it himself :yk

i don't like dhoni's tactics(gambling?) but bevan is wayyyy over rated too.

Many questionable tactics indeed.. Coming to batting, Dhoni always does this, like showing the bone to the dog and pocket it himself :yk

Some times I feel he is playing chess with those chases. He knew Malinga wont bowl the last over and backing himself up with any non-Malinga bowler to get anything around 15 in the last over.

Who else whould have Bowled that last over?

Yes , Because all they needed was to defend their wicket. It was a 11 vs 1 contest.

:facepalm: Buvaneshwar has been the best pacer for us..... Vinay is similar. I cant justify why Ishant played but replacing Umesh with Vinay is no brainer

Some times I feel he is playing chess with those chases. He knew Malinga wont bowl the last over and backing himself up with any non-Malinga bowler to get anything around 15 in the last over.

He knows what he's doing. He's not a glory hunter either. I remember the way Dhoni took apart Dale Steyn in IPL. It was surreal to see Steyn being taken to cleaners with such disdain! He could score off Malinga if he wanted to, but he's pragmatic enough to understand what needs to be done.

Last edited:
will not deny that Dhoni is the better finisher. But we cannot deny that if Bevan played in this era he would modify his game and eventually become the better finisher.

People only bring in Bevan because they are jealous of Dhoni's success, like they always bring in Lara to downplay Sachin. But rest assure its not true :asif

will not deny that Dhoni is the better finisher. But we cannot deny that if Bevan played in this era he would modify his game and eventually become the better finisher.

It is your opinion. Many people may disagree with you. You just blanket out other possibilities and say 'we cannot deny' :)))

People only bring in Bevan because they are jealous of Dhoni's success, like they always bring in Lara to downplay Sachin. But rest assure its not true :asif

Probably you have never seen Bevan play.. He was one of the main pillars of Australian ODI success. Brilliant player. Dhoni will himself feel proud to be compared to Bevan..

P.S. Lara was pretty much equal to Sachin.. Two of the greatest ever.

I don't think he wanted to take it to 50th over with 15 needed. But unfortunately Ishant wasted the 49th over.

What I observed is he just wanted to get Malinga's over finished and knew that the inexperienced bowler will bowl one over which he wanted to target.

Also, for any player making 2-3 hits is possible where you need around 10-15 runs than starting to hit when 30 needed.

So his strategy is always been to bring the needed run down below 20 when the bowling team is also in pressure. In that situation he is the king as he handles pressure better than opposition.

What happened to England in CT final. They were in much better position with many wickets left but couldn't handle the pressure.

But Dhoni's tactics of taking the match to the last over is baffling .. as good a finisher as he is, why does he allow the match to drift away ?

But Dhoni's tactics of taking the match to the last over is baffling .. as good a finisher as he is, why does he allow the match to drift away ?
Actually, if you see most of the time he takes it to 49th over and not 50th (with exception like yesterday).

After 47th over, he targets the over which is bowled by the least experienced bowler. So it can be 48 or 49. By 50th over he most of the times would have already won or needing less than 10.

Back