MS Dhoni is better than Michael Bevan - He is the BEST finisher of the game

Fastbowler123

Debutant
Runs
Watching Mahendra Singh Dhoni bat in a chase is a learning experience — the way he builds an innings; the way he calms the nerves of the other batsmen; the way he makes them contribute; the way he gives the opposition no chance at all.

What the Indian skipper brings to the middle isn’t quantifiable. It’s simply magic. As he led India to another win in the third ODI against England at Mohali, none of us were surprised. We had seen him do it so many times before, that only if he fails would we question his method. The template of his innings is normally a slow start as he settles in, lots of singles and then he builds to a crescendo. The innings he played in the World Cup final was exactly that – it wasn’t a fluke; it’s the way he plays.

There are images of Mahendra Singh Dhoni that are stuck in our heads — most of them have him holding the bat, hitting the winnings runs. It isn’t a sheer coincidence that he is there so many times at the end, guiding India to victory — with a twirl of the bat, a smile on his face and the helicopter shot thrown in for good effect.

The science of chasing tactics is something that Dhoni is privy to alone – because only he knows what goes on in his head. But the numbers are there for all to see and they are simply astounding.

If England wants to win even one match in the series, they will have to get Dhoni out. Getty Images.

Fathom this. In ODIs, Dhoni has played 194 matches. Of those matches, he’s not had to bat in 21 games, so that gives him a total of 173 innings. Now, he’s been not out 46 times in these matches. Now, here comes the clincher: Of the 46 times that he has been not out; India has lost just three matches. Just three…

That gives India a winning percentage of 93.5 per cent when Dhoni is at the wicket. For someone who has been playing ODIs since 2004, that is a frightening statistic. It also shows that he is the best finisher in ODI cricket at present, perhaps even the best the world has ever seen.

To most of us who have a keen interest in the game, the best finisher of the game was a certain, Michael Bevan. The Australian was simply superb. He had a keen sense of occasion, knew how to pace his innings and more often than not, he helped Australia to victory.

But not even Bevan was as potent as Dhoni is.

The Australian played a total of 232 ODIs for Australia and was not out 67 times in 196 innings. But Australia lost 13 matches even when Bevan was around in the end. That gives Bevan a finishing percentage of 80.6.

The difference is big. Perhaps one of the reasons for the difference is the strike-rate. While Dhoni’s strike-rate is 88.34, Bevan was positively slow in comparison with an SR of 74.16.

And come the big match, Dhoni seems to find his best form too. In 11 finals, he has an average of 49.77. Cometh the moment, cometh the man. He just can’t be denied and perhaps because he’s done it so many times before, it just seems like another day at the office to him.

For a long time, India’s problems in ODIs used to stem from their inability to finish things off. We would invariably start well but then stall at crucial moments. For a while, Ajay Jadeja filled the slot. Then there was Robin Singh. Even Rahul Dravid had a go but nobody was as good as Dhoni. No one even came close.

If one were asked to explain India’s recent success in ODIs in one word, all clues would simply point to Dhoni. As long as he’s around, India has hope. And if he stays in long enough, India will win. So far, that’s the way it’s been.

If England wants to win even one match in the series, they will have to get Dhoni out. Or else they might as well be up a creek without a paddle because they are fighting against the tide and you can rarely ever fight nature and come out triumphant.

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/dho...-is-the-best-finisher-in-the-game-114041.html

Dhoni :19:

Another reason for our successful chases are Gambhir.
Averages 52++ when batting 2nd ( average = 42 and when batting first he averages 31 :facepalm: )

Dhoni gives you scares if you are an Indian fan.

Many times when I see him bat, I feel that he is going to lose the match for India as he is a slow starter. But when it comes to finishing off the game in the final 3 or 4 overs, there is none better than him.

Captain Kool is awesome :kapil

difference is that bevan did it all over the world, not just in one country :D

Wait...Dhoni is a great finisher no doubt,,but better than Bevan??? Very tough to call...

There is no one better than Micheal Hussey. He has done it so many times for the Aussies in impossible situations.

I'd not go that far saying he is the best but Dhoni surely is among the best finishers of the game.

difference is that bevan did it all over the world, not just in one country :D

Fail. :))

averages 48 outside India.

Last edited:
Best finisher in India!

HUSSEY > DHONI - everywhere else.
BEVAN > DHONI - everywhere else.

I'd not go that far, Dhoni is surely among the best finishers of the game.

Fail. :))

averages 48 outside India.

Yes, batted really well in England.. all in losing causes.

This thread is about FINISHING matches(winning) and Dhoni didn't do that in England.

This thread is about FINISHING matches(winning) and Dhoni didn't do that in England.

Ah well, you should know what a finisher means then, chasing. India batted first on all occassions. :facepalm:

on Slow Low, NO lateral movement , no bounce , no seaming wicket, on Fast bowlers grave yard wicket he is good. Michal Bevan is in different league !!!!!!!!

Who is the best is up for debate. But Beven, Dhoni and Gmabhir are the 3 top players while chasing totals. None better !

India did not chase in any game in England, how can he finish games if his team is not batting second :)

Not sure about best, but he's very good under pressure most of the time.

I disagree he's only good at home.

The man averages 48.82 away from home during ODI chases.

He's very good, don't discredit him cause he's Indian. He is one of the better finishers in the game.

Dhoni among the rest of the ODI batsmen.

Players with Best averages
Fullscreen-capture-22102011-123346-AM.bmp

Players with best Strike Rates
Fullscreen-capture-22102011-123643-AM.bmp

Players with best average outside home
Fullscreen-capture-22102011-123903-AM.bmp

While batting first
Fullscreen-capture-22102011-124550-AM.bmp

While batting second
Fullscreen-capture-22102011-125041-AM.bmp

Last edited:
Dhoni..BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA...saying Dhoni as the best finisher,is like saying Rehane the best opener of all time...BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Shameful thread OP

Dhoni is better than Bevan. He is the BEST finisher in the game

Better to avoid titles like this.
Will be bumped by PPers whenever he fails :D

Dhoni is better than Bevan. He is the BEST finisher in the game

Better to avoid titles like this.
Will be bumped by PPers whenever he fails :D

Man you are the only Indian PPer who kinda make sense.:asif

Its just a myth that a subcontinent batsman cannot be as good as a western player since they play on flat tracks. But when western players come and play on this so called flat tracks they struggle, not sure why. If it is flat it is flat for both the teams. The other argument is that Bevan played well in tougher conditions so he is better than Dhoni doesn't make sense either. The reason being,

Players from Australia, SA and England are used to wickets which has pace and bounce and have grown up playing there. But when they come to Subcontinent and do not find that pace and bounce they struggle. So how can you say that they played in tougher conditions when they have played there all along. If I grew up playing cricket on a minefield, I will obviously be better than someone who tours once in a while to play on it.

In that sense shouldn't players like Sachin, Dravid, Sanga be better than English and Australian counterparts as they have superior average on surfaces to the players who have been brought up on it?

how sweet you are :heart:

actually i like Dhoni but i dont want PPers to bump him whenever he fails like Raina's thread :facepalm:

You're right my friend..Keep up the good work and please teach some discipline to your fellow PPers

Def an all time great ODI finisher. He just expects to finish the game successfully.

i doubt his potency viz a viz bevan but his "the innings" world cup final makes him a champion. if he sustains this for another year or so he would be right up with bevan.

He is better than hussey as a finisher ... esp when you consider his hitting prowness

You're right my friend..Keep up the good work and please teach some discipline to your fellow PPers

:19:
Most of us are peace loving creatures.
But cricket is like a religion for many of the Indians ( bollywood movies wont get released during IPL season ) ,
and most indians are very sensitive about our brand of cricket/cricketers which is very difficult to change. :D

When it comes to finishers, it's all about who you hate bowling to when you are defending a total.

Dhoni is one of those batsmen.

Bowlers hate bowling to him, he gets the job done.

Inzamam was the same. Bevan was an expert, of course. Hussey, is another brilliant finisher.

I don't know about finisher but no one can disagree with the fact that Dhoni is one top notch individual and has achieved more for India than Tendulkar could ever imagine.

Didn't actually see much of Bevan but IMO Dhoni is the best finisher I've seen. Hussey comes in at a close second.

I don't know about finisher but no one can disagree with the fact that Dhoni is one top notch individual and has achieved more for India than Tendulkar could ever imagine.

Praising Dhoni has to come at the expense of :sachin doesn't it?

Those are amazing stats. He's a brilliant clubber, devastating when in the zone.

Average cricketer ... struggles big time in testing conditions. Without being bias, he is a FTB.

You call him an average Cricketer because he made Dernbach The Richard Hadlee II and Tim Bresnan The Kapil Dev II look like pie chuckers in India?

what are his ODI stats from positions 5-7 outside India?

FC I can't see your image, but Alizee has shown them.

that's really something!

very tough call, I was never really a big fan of Bevan to be honest.

plus he's a captain and a keeper, so I'll go for Mahi.

I will go for Beven actually, just loved his batting. But MSD is up there with them.

some of you wanted him out of the team after your tour in England lol

FC I can't see your image, but Alizee has shown them.

that's really something!

very tough call, I was never really a big fan of Bevan to be honest.

plus he's a captain and a keeper, so I'll go for Mahi.

Although both are finishers, I still find difficult to compare them. Both play differently.

Dhoni can bat slowly and change gear at any moment. He is one guy who can be relied upon when you need 70-80 in last 10. He can bat without getting too much worried about run rate as he can accelerate any time.

Bevan could ensure that he will always hold one end no matter how what is happening at other end.

If these two players could bat for same team, then this would be probably best combo of finishers.

Last edited:
Dhoni is certainly one of the best ODI batter (and finisher alongside Hussey) around currently, but I couldn't put him ahead of arguably the best ODI batsman ever. In Tests, his batting has deteriorated though.

^ He was struggling in ODIs also. Although he played one superb knock in final, but he was average during rest of the WC, SA series and some matches before that.

Although both are finishers, I still find difficult to compare them. Both play differently.

Dhoni can bat slowly and change gear at any moment. He is one guy who can be relied upon when you need 70-80 in last 10. He can bat without getting too much worried about run rate as he can accelerate any time.

Bevan could ensure that he will always hold one end no matter how what is happening at other end.

If these two players could bat for same team, then this would be probably best combo of finishers.

I think you are under rating Yuvraj-Dhoni pair , Yuvraj is another gem of an ODI player remember.
We have been fortunate to have them playing for us, together these two have scripted numerous wins.

Last edited:
I think you are under rating Yuvraj-Dhoni pair !
We have been fortunate to have them playing for us, together these two have scripted numerous wins.

won last 2 ODI series v Pakistan single-handedly for India.

especially Yuvraj.

Bevan=Hussey>Dhoni.

But being in such a category is an achievement itself. All 3 are really good players.

won last 2 ODI series v Pakistan single-handedly for India.

especially Yuvraj.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/236809.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/237571.html

If situation is like this match, then I would prefer Dhoni.

In the second match, they were not worried about run rate at all. Both Yuvi and Dhoni were taking singles comfortably and RRR was going up. At one point it was over 8. Dhoni hit few sixes and sealed the game for India.

Last edited:
That's how it works in team games. Everyone has a certain task to do. Yuvraj's wasn't to take the risks , we all know he is as good as anyone at hitting 4s and 6s

dont care what anybody says

only pakistanis will downrate dhoni as an awful player

truth is brilliant captain,amazing batsman

Great batsman who loves asians pitches as his overall record shows he needs 2 make few 100s ouside asia... just for fun... but overall superb player under pressure...

5 odi 100s in india
1 in bangla
1 in pak

he is good... no question of that

beven/dhoni >>> hussey puzzy

we seem to forget bevan and hussey had awesome bowlers around them wich always help....coz most of times the total they had 2 chase have been not that many... and great batsman around aswel.. and a teams wich never seem to lose.... dhoni made india ... a hard team.. 2 beat... wel ganguly did that but its dhoni... who made what india is today...

dhoni never had one may be zaheer but he wont scare any one.. with pace.....

my fav indian player by country mile... and he married a girl from his area for that i respect him alot.. :p

Last edited:
India is only good in india, indians are only good in india...outside of india is another story.

Bevan had pulled Australia out of the deepest holes.

74/7 chasing 172 vs West Indies, SCG, 1995-96, 78*
82/6 and 143/7 chasing 245 vs NZ, MCG, 2001-02 102*
135/8 chasing 204 vs England, WC '03, 74*

Tell me when Dhoni has played similar innings?

Praising Dhoni has to come at the expense of :sachin doesn't it?

Relax, no need to jump to a conclusion, no amount of words could belittle Tendulkar or have any impact on what he has achieved in this game. He is a Legend.

Fun posts:yk

Great batsman who loves Dead pitches as his overall record shows he needs 2 make few 100s ouside asia... just for fun... but overall superb player under pressure...

5 odi 100s in india
1 in bangla
1 in pak

beven >>>>dhoni >>> hussey

we seem to forget bevan and hussey had awesome bowlers around them wich always help....coz most of times the total they had 2 chase have been not that many... and great batsman around aswel.. and a teams wich never seem to lose.... dhoni made india ... a hard team.. 2 beat... wel ganguly did that but its dhoni... who made what india is today...

my fav indian player by country mile... and he married a girl from his area for that i respect him alot.. :p

but still bevan is best as far

fine batsman who loves Dead pitches as his overall record shows he needs 2 make few 100s ouside asia... just for fun... but overall superb player under pressure...

5 odi 100s in india
1 in bangla
1 in pak

beven >>>>dhoni >>> hussey

but still bevan is by far the best:yk

The same guy who just lost every test, every t20 and ever odi in England?

Inzi/Hussey/Bevan >>>>> Dhoni (when not in India)

whoever has seen bevan in action i dont think can agree with this claim of dhoni being the better finisher.. bevan and finishing is like waqar and inswinging yorkers

Relax, no need to jump to a conclusion, no amount of words could belittle Tendulkar or have any impact on what he has achieved in this game. He is a Legend.

Fun posts:yk

I was relaxed, it was an observation. :yk

The same guy who just lost every test, every t20 and ever odi in England?

Inzi/Hussey/Bevan >>>>> Dhoni (when not in India)

No the same guy who won us many other matches in 8 his career spanning years...whats the point of handpicking one series when his whole career is talked about?

Dhoni played a legendary innings in the 2011 world cup final. That will never be forgotten.

However, Bevan is miles ahead of Dhoni. Bevan was the greatest ODI player ever (according to me).

Dhoni is probably the best finisher in the game today.

However I still rate Bevan higher simply because the quality of bowling he faced in the mid-late 90s was leagues above the bowling talent that is seen today. He succeeded against the best.

Hard on Dhoni because he never had the chance to face that era's bowling, but tested and accomplished > untested if all other stats are equal, in my book.

Bevan could have been one of Australians greatest test batsmen, such a shame.. his mentality let him down.. which is ironic because his mentality is what made him excel at the ODI level.

All things aside Dhoni has some simply astonishing stats, considering he is also a wicketkeeper and a captain( and not too shabby at either of those). Bevan will always have the ODI legend status, and it would be fairer to compare Dhoni to Bevan once he is in the twilight of his career, which by the looks of it isn't coming any time soon.

Michael Bevan was head and shoulders above anyone in his era where 300 was some total. His greatest strength was his ability to find those pressure releasing boundaries out of nowhere. And he was a brilliant runner between the wickets too. Not to forget , one of the most gifted fielders.

Dhoni has all those traits too and its a great thing he is being compared to Bevan in the first place. He is almost right up there with Bevan,just need another small notch.

Back