MS Dhoni is better than Michael Bevan - He is the BEST finisher of the game

Guys relax,
They are right

Dhoni is the best finisher.....BUt for the losing side.

Joke thread!

Bevan was a class.....Dhoni is not even close.

That is because Bevan was a fantastic rotator of strike, right from the moment at the crease, and would convert the ones into twos and retain the strike. Dhoni relies on big hitting and a final flourish instead.

dont think so.Bevan did not look to farm the strike,he gave confidence to the tail.if u look at tailenders's high scores most of them would be with Bevan

Dhoni can hit big,but he is also fantastic runer b/w the wickets n can score that way

Bevan had an incredible SR for the period he played, and as good as Dhoni's 90 SR. Clarke is of course a test batsman primarily though he can be dangerous in ODIs where the scores are between 230-250.

no way.74 is equivalent to 82-83 max,not 90.Bevan would never looking like tearing into a bowling attack n couldnt chase anything above 9-10 RPO

Guys relax,
They are right

Dhoni is the best finisher.....BUt for the losing side.

Joke thread!

Bevan was a class.....Dhoni is not even close.

losing side?I guess u know u r talking about current World Champs

losing side?I guess u know u r talking about current World Champs

Excuse me....World Champss??? More like World Chimps..

we all can see how true your world class....Ravinder clown jadeja and bionic fast baller vinay kumar are....

just one win and all the clowns are out! where were you guys on the last 9 defeats?

Bevan is the master for sure,but dhoni is up there these days.I think dhoni should just retire from tests and concentrate only in T20 and ODI,since the one day side looks far better under him.

He may be an ordinary and many times even an embarrassing test batsman but in ODI's he is right up there with the best finishers of all time. Record speaks for itself

we all can see how true your world class....Ravinder clown jadeja and bionic fast baller vinay kumar are....

just one win and all the clowns are out! where were you guys on the last 9 defeats?

I'm obviously,dont make urself look like an idiot by bringing tests here.in ODIs,we won in WI,v WI at home,blanked Eng at home,n now 2 wins here.only blip was in England which too was rain affected series

I guess the Mohali loss is still hurting u:misbah

Umar Akmal is also there with the average of 90 and his position is not fixed in ODI team I am a Indian ,so don't know much about internal politics of Pak ,but they are selecting Malik , Farhat and Person like Younis (whose performance against non minnows is quite pathetic in odi), so can anybody tell me why he is not playing on regular basis

Waiting for Asia Cup

bevan is better coz he had 2 face bowlers like wasim waqar saqlain akhtar razzaq and mushtaq from pakistan side

ambrose walsh from west indies
murli vaas both at there peaks from sri lanka
srinath kumble from india
gough from england
donald pollock from south africa
cairns bond and vettori from new zealand
streak and paul strang from zimbabwe

ALL WORLD CLASS ODI Bowlers.

dhoni had 2 face akhtar from pakistan
steyn from south africa
anderson swann from england
vaas mruli from lanka
vettori from new zealand

even though the pitches were flat back then aswel but still not as flat we have these days.

i might have missed out on few bowlers but this clearly shows the different in class.
dhoni is one fine odi batsman but 2 me just behind bevan.

bevan >>> dhoni

bevan never had to take on a fearsome experienced bowling attack lead by M.Clarke with 53 wickets

bevan is better coz he had 2 face bowlers like wasim waqar saqlain akhtar razzaq and mushtaq from pakistan side

ambrose walsh from west indies
murli vaas both at there peaks from sri lanka
srinath kumble from india
gough from england
donald pollock from south africa
cairns bond and vettori from new zealand
streak and paul strang from zimbabwe

ALL WORLD CLASS ODI Bowlers.

dhoni had 2 face akhtar from pakistan
steyn from south africa
anderson swann from england
vaas mruli from lanka
vettori from new zealand

even though the pitches were flat back then aswel but still not as flat we have these days.

i might have missed out on few bowlers but this clearly shows the different in class.
dhoni is one fine odi batsman but 2 me just behind bevan.

bevan >>> dhoni

ambrose and walsh were on the fag end of their carrier
murali and vaas were harmless away from SL
i guess bevan just managed to finish one match in India http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64711.html

Australia managed to dominate over England most of the times.... by the time bevan came into bat the match was well and truly over..

SA had the better of Australia under Cronje's captaincy it was after he was banned from the game Australia started to dominate them and Pollock and Donald were not the same bowlers then when they played Aus

Same with Nzl mostly Aus had the better of them..Bevan did play one innings though where he won them the game from nothing

Streak was good but never the bowler that woud Dominate over good batsmen..

Did bevan manage to win any game for Australia against pakistan while chasing against the bowlers you mentioned from an hopeless situation???

Last edited:
Dhoni may not be an all time best, but is one of the best atm I feel. Coming at no 5 or 6 or may be even down and an avg of 50 is phenomenal.

He was run out by miles twice yesterday

was very very lucky and left the chase too late considering they were 5 down

I really dont like watching him with his shovel bat style of batting

but that 6 was fantastic

Bevan is a class above but Dhoni is priceless for India

i guess bevan just managed to finish one match in India http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64711.html

Australia managed to dominate over England most of the times.... by the time bevan came into bat the match was well and truly over..

SA had the better of Australia under Cronje's captaincy it was after he was banned from the game Australia started to dominate them and Pollock and Donald were not the same bowlers then when they played Aus

Same with Nzl mostly Aus had the better of them..Bevan did play one innings though where he won them the game from nothing

Did bevan manage to win any game for Australia against pakistan while chasing against the bowlers you mentioned from an hopeless situation???
:))) I love Dhoni's batsmanship but this post reeks of desperation. Considering Bevan effectively finished off a good 70 percent of matches he played in, amazing batsman. The one I remember best is 74* v England

Dhoni's a class finisher though, but his innings yesterday was pretty strange. Came in with a required rate of 6, brought it up to 8 by blocking and blockingg and then unleashed an amazing last-over six.

He simply butchered Pakistan in 2005/06 though, him and Yuvraj helped make it 4-1 for India after losing the Tests

:))) I love Dhoni's batsmanship but this post reeks of desperation. Considering Bevan effectively finished off a good 70 percent of matches he played in, amazing batsman. The one I remember best is 74* v England

Dhoni's a class finisher though, but his innings yesterday was pretty strange. Came in with a required rate of 6, brought it up to 8 by blocking and blockingg and then unleashed an amazing last-over six.

He simply butchered Pakistan in 2005/06 though, him and Yuvraj helped make it 4-1 for India after losing the Tests

Check the post above the one you posted please

This is a bad comparison for all you say.

India without Dhoni would have lost atleast 50% more ODI matches for sure. How many matches he has won when India would fold so meekly in all the close matches without him.

Can you say same thing for Bevan? If yes then is he was more valuable for Australia than Dhoni for India.

The comparison in this thread is not at all correct.

Anyway Yesterday's match was really bad for MSD barring that six at right time. He should have won a lot earlier than that.

Bevan and Dhoni have much in common.

1. Both good ODI batsmen.
2. Both good finishers.
3. Both average test players.

Bevan could probably be more useful under tough batting conditions, however if the asking RR in 8 or 9, I would rather have Dhoni on my side.

einstein, we are talking about odi here. Not test. What test result has got to do with odi?

you seem 2 lost it boy... bevan came in 2 ausie team mid 1990s ...
ambrose and walsh were at there finest til they left cricket..

a normal cricket fan would understand this.. but this wil upset u.. :yk

yeh yeh murli and vaas were harmless away from home just as dhoni is harmless away from asia:yk remeber 54 all out murli 7/30 enough said .

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65552.html

Last edited:
With yesterday´s last over finish, MS Dhoni has now chased down a target of between 10 and 20 in the last over twice in his ODI career.........

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wivind2009/engine/match/377315.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/commonwealth-bank-series-2012/engine/current/match/518959.html

..... With one failure......

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvsl/engine/current/match/267712.html

66.66% record isn´t bad I suppose;-).

To dig this out, I had to rely on my memory. Please add further if I have missed out on anything.

That is because Bevan was a fantastic rotator of strike, right from the moment at the crease, and would convert the ones into twos and retain the strike. Dhoni relies on big hitting and a final flourish instead.

Bevan had an incredible SR for the period he played, and as good as Dhoni's 90 SR. Clarke is of course a test batsman primarily though he can be dangerous in ODIs where the scores are between 230-250.

How and where exactly do you separate the two periods they both played in:13:? I would appreciate an answers:).

Dhoni183 bhai u r awesome!

Truly admire you for being neutral and supporting a player from IND without bias even though you are from PAK. Kudos.....

you seem 2 lost it boy... bevan came in 2 ausie team mid 1990s ...
ambrose and walsh were at there finest til they left cricket..

a normal cricket fan would understand this.. but this wil upset u.. :yk

yeh yeh murli and vaas were harmless away from home just as dhoni is harmless away from asia:yk remeber 54 all out murli 7/30 enough said .

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65552.html

no ambros and walsh just after the 96 world cup were jus the shadow of the bowler they were and it was evident by their results..

a normal cricket fan wud understand that....

and when murali got 7 wickets how was that match outside asia???

and dhoni has won us matches outside asia

http://www.espncricinfo.com/cbs/engine/match/291366.html

no ambros and walsh just after the 96 world cup were jus the shadow of the bowler they were and it was evident by their results..

a normal cricket fan wud understand that....

and when murali got 7 wickets how was that match outside asia???

and dhoni has won us matches outside asia

http://www.espncricinfo.com/cbs/engine/match/291366.html

show me when dhoni got 100 outside asia show me single in either test or odi:cheema

i think u wil find that middle east is out side asia

ambrose and walsh were still miles better then many bowlers u see these days trust me on that:sohail

Last edited:
dhoni is pretty much bevan of this era. till he is there, the odi doesnt quite seem over. there is always hope for the supporters and worry for the opposition.

imo, bevan's finest innings was the 180 odd vs asia xi or something. it was epic and i think bevan's team lost the match by 1 run or something.

show me when dhoni got 100 outside asia show me single in either test or odi:cheema

i think u wil find that middle east is out side asia

ambrose and walsh were still miles better then many bowlers u see these days trust me on that:sohail

where have i disputed ambrose and walsh were not better bowlers???i just stated when bevan started out both walsh and ambrose were on their fag end and were not as threatening as they used to be...

Now dont expect me to teach you geography..you better ask for a refund from your school if you think sharjah is outside Asia..

Dhoni183 bhai u r awesome!

Truly admire you for being neutral and supporting a player from IND without bias even though you are from PAK. Kudos.....

Thanks for your appreciations:). It is the encouragement from people like you that keeps me going as a poster:19:.

God bless you:)!

where have i disputed ambrose and walsh were not better bowlers???i just stated when bevan started out both walsh and ambrose were on their fag end and were not as threatening as they used to be...

read your own comments before u reply 2 my comments :akhtar

fag end of there careers lol... ambrose walsh at there peaks. go check

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65827.html

1994 debut of beven ...

I dont need to check.. i have watched them bowl post 96

and why do you post a link that is totally irrelevant....

i know what i posted it is who you are posting things out of the blue

IndianWillow said:

How and where exactly do you separate the two periods they both played in:13:? I would appreciate an answers:).

To further clarify my point, I mean where from do you exactly divide the "period" from?

Dhoni is the coolest captain out there.

Huge fan! respect!

I guess it´s time to update my list, eh;-)?!

And again! He keeps doing it to make me proud:19:! What a choice for the favourite player slot:14:!

Bad days are bound to and will come probably but it´s important to keep backing yourself.

also ran out Gambhir and Pathan...

exactly! Dhoni saves after pushing the team deep into the hole.... Had GG wasn't out, india would have won comfortably.

To all these people who calling him great, just watch and let india lose in a tight situation. You'l see what i am talking about....

^Dude? You're talking as if others were making merry out there. From 4.4 the middle order took the run rate upto 6. And it isn't easy to come in and hit, if it was so easy out there why didn't any of Rohit, Raina, Kohli, Tendulkar, Jadeja do the job?

Learn to give credit where its due. This argument that he got lucky is stupid for a guy who has played 200 games.

middle order is one batsman short. Sir Jaddu may do something good someday but they need someone who can play the role of a hitter. For that Raina will have to come down.

exactly! Dhoni saves after pushing the team deep into the hole.... Had GG wasn't out, india would have won comfortably.

To all these people who calling him great, just watch and let india lose in a tight situation. You'l see what i am talking about....

For a batsman of limited ability he has achieved a lot in ODIs. Putting any blame on Dhoni in this match is weird, it was a relatively small target, the top order should have done the job, why always leave it to the no:6 and 7?

Only recently I am seeing Dhoni following Misbah's strategy. just defend everything without rotating singles and wait till the last over. last match he did well at the last over, but it was due to Raina and Jadeja who accelerated towards the end and again in today's game, pathan's six of a no ball really helped, otherwise I am not sure how else he would have scored over 10 in the last over against malinga. he should have started hitting at least around 44th over as he should have known Malinga is all together different bowler to face in the final over.

Allthough he looked cool during his innings, I am not completely convinced that he knows what he is doing in the middle. Bevan may not be a big hitter like Dhoni but important quality of Bevan was rotating a strike without taking any risk and most of the times never allowed RR to go over 10 or so.

Last edited:
It was great to see when one of the best finishers in the world right (MS Dhoni) had to face the best death bowler in the world right now (Lasith Malinga) to get nine off his over to win the game. Deservedly for both of them it ended as a tie.

Kudos to both:14:!

Some interesting stats about their face-to-face record:

• Dhoni has played 108 balls from Lasith Malinga in ODIs, and scored 112 runs for one dismissal.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/commonwealth-bank-series-2012/content/current/story/553213.html

I guess it is tough to please haters! If he had tried to play shots to keep the required run-rate under control, what´s the guarantee that he wouldn´t have got out like many, many of his partners did in both the matches?

Do you think he ran out Gautam Gambhir and Irfan Pathan on purpose? In case of the former, it was MS Dhoni´s (wrong) call to run but his partner was equally lazy to get back for perhaps 'that' last meter.

India would have won comfortably had Gautam Gambhir not been out, really? How many times has he taken India through till the end?

I reckon you are one of those students from the 'Gambhir Cricket Teaching School' who are taught by the teachers to try and finish matches earlier even if it means putting a world cup on stake.......

[UTUBE]zwHGHiEjWOQ[/UTUBE]

(was a fabulous innings though, and deserved the Man of the Match Award ahead of MS Dhoni).

Hey by the way! This guy wanted to finish it off earlier than the last over against Australia on Sunday, I thus expected him to chase within 40 overs to get his team the bonus point;-).

Last edited:
Only recently I am seeing Dhoni following Misbah's strategy. just defend everything without rotating singles and wait till the last over. last match he did well at the last over, but it was due to Raina and Jadeja who accelerated towards the end and again in today's game, pathan's six of a no ball really helped, otherwise I am not sure how else he would have scored over 10 in the last over against malinga. he should have started hitting at least around 44th over as he should have known Malinga is all together different bowler to face in the final over.

Allthough he looked cool during his innings, I am not completely convinced that he knows what he is doing in the middle. Bevan may not be a big hitter like Dhoni but important quality of Bevan was rotating a strike without taking any risk and most of the times never allowed RR to go over 10 or so.

Funny thing = he didn´t let his team lose:)!!!!

Talking of taking singles and doubles, see this, then.....

[UTUBE]fH4CSrHU0j0[/UTUBE]

As for "ifs" and "buts", remember that if the towers, air planes, human-beings hadn´t existed then 9/11 would have never happened:(...... It takes every little thing for something big to happen - a sad reality:(.......

Last edited:
As for "ifs" and "buts", remember that if the towers, air planes, human-beings hadn´t existed then 9/11 would have never happened:(...... It takes every little thing for something big to happen - a sad reality:(.......

What?

He said.......

madaboutcricket said:
last match he did well at the last over, but it was due to Raina and Jadeja who accelerated towards the end and again in today's game, pathan's six of a no ball really helped, otherwise I am not sure how else he would have scored over 10 in the last over against malinga.

I hope you got it now:).

Good day:19:!

Was always feeling confident as MSD was still there. Even if it was Malinga and we needed 4 off last ball, somewhere i was feeling that he will do it.

He got 3 n saved us from a defeat :)

MSD you are the best captain to lead IND after Ganguly.

Funny thing = he didn´t let his team lose:)!!!!

Talking of taking singles and doubles, see this, then.....

[UTUBE]fH4CSrHU0j0[/UTUBE]

Dhoni,

you seem to be an hardcore Dhoni fan. I too used to like him. but in the last few yrs or so, I hate his batting style. Although he played a few great shots in the last over of both games, he was really lucky in both games. Other players hit a few important boundaries or sixers which saved him. Otherwise we would have lost both games. IMHO he almost screwed up the chase in both occasions which we should have won comfortably.

Dhoni,

you seem to be an hardcore Dhoni fan. I too used to like him. but in the last few yrs or so, I hate his batting style. Although he played a few great shots in the last over of both games, he was really lucky in both games. Other players hit a few important boundaries or sixers which saved him. Otherwise we would have lost both games. IMHO he almost screwed up the chase in both occasions which we should have won comfortably.

Agreed. Although he's as good a finisher in ODI as anyone but he definitely left too much to do in the last overs. His inning at the WC final was a greatly paced one though. Needs to play like that.

Agreed. Although he's as good a finisher in ODI as anyone but he definitely left too much to do in the last overs. His inning at the WC final was a greatly paced one though. Needs to play like that.

exactly. His innings in WC finals was perfect. his best innings I have ever seen.

dhoni really likes saving his team from trouble. infact so much so that he sometimes puts them in trouble himself only to rescue them.

Let's not forget MSD captains and keeps for whole match as well (also plays IPL and Tests) so by fitness level + ability to chase down target, he has already surpassed Bevan. He may surpass him on paper really soon if he keeps going like this till next WC.

What's cool is that he is doing it everywhere in ODI's at least. So no FTBness

What about Bevan in Asia?
Hussey actually has failed in few chases in India - Jerome Taylor's hattrick is the proof.I recall Hussey getting bowled by Sir Jadeja on 40 odd in a chase.
See the double standards applied in the thread.
Hussey was pretty decent batting first though.
P.s. I hate Dhoni but why only his away record is scrutinized? Why not Bevan/Hussey?

Dhoni,

It´s your view and I respect that as most of his haters from PP are my friends:). In MS Dhoni´s style, "Well of course you can say that";-).

I cannot understand how India would have won both the games 'comfortably' considering how his partners at the other end were getting out trying to finish it off by the 10th over:))?! Surely lack of some valuable cricketing knowledge on part of some:boom:.

One thing for all of you to consider:
"Luck favours the brave only" and he has done it on so many occasions anyway:p.

Batting up the order sometimes allows you pace the innings well. MS Dhoni´s great record whilst batting from opener to fifth speaks for his ability there as well as it is even better than his overall career figures......

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...orderby=default;template=results;type=batting

Batting down the order, you have to put a price on your wicket since there are not many batsmen left after you to bat.

very close call between Hussey, Bevan and Dhoni

they all the same

Agreed! They all are ideal for their teams:19:.

Last edited:
Dhoni is a brilliant ODI player. Average test player, but in colours he is lionized. He has the best temperament I have ever seen. Nothing fazes him, nothing stresses him out.

He is becoming a proper contender for an AT Asian ODI X1.

He is becoming a proper contender for an AT Asian ODI X1.

He is a contender for all time World ODI XI. I can only think of Gilly as the other contender for WK-batsman. But Gilly was an opener and there are many others who can do that job as well.

I am surprised to see so few matches for Hussey as compared to Dhoni and Bevan.

Current match showed how difficult it is to chase targets successfully.

We have been very good chasing team in ODis over the history (post- 96 of course) I think our team has record of chasing consecutive games successively, like 17-18 odis.

Hmmm 17 i suppose. MSD, UV were mainly responsible in those wins.

Now-a-days Gauti, Kohli n MSD r doing it.

I am surprised to see so few matches for Hussey as compared to Dhoni and Bevan.

Yeahh how come Hussey featuring in less number of triumphs than even Misbah when Aussies have been so good :13:

Anyway, Dhoni is a freak :bow: Goodness me

Back