New Zealand (283/1) hammer England (282/9) by 9 wickets to win Match 1 of the ICC World Cup 2023

Which side will win the ICC World Cup 2023 game between England and New Zealand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
valid question
Shastris response is horrible, apparently this is a 110k stadium, which I keep hearing but I've also heard the figure 132k lol

Anyway Shastri claims there could be 35k in and it would still look this empty, get off! What a load of nonsense.

I'm sure the crowd will fill up in the evening but this propaganda is too much.

And he averted the question from the female commentator too and just said congratulations on India building such a big stadium lol

NZ has planned for each batsman. Without plan you cannot survive on this wicket just with 3 bowlers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where captaincy matter babar would never in lifetime bowl his main strike bowler in 38th over if he has already bowled 7 overs
Full marks to latham for bringing the change and creating a wicket out of nowhere.

Very intelligent bowling execution. You see why NZ always does well in world cup. They have great plans in place.

This is where captaincy matter babar would never in lifetime bowl his main strike bowler in 38th over if he has already bowled 7 overs
Full marks to latham for bringing the change and creating a wicket out of nowhere.
Babar will just wait for spinners to complete their qouta and then bring on seamers

Poor batting by England today apart from Butler and Root. Others will need to learn there is no need to hack, 50 overs give you enough time to score big.

Shaheen needs to learn from Boults spell. If it’s not swinging he needs to realise the magic balls will not come, he has more pace than Boult so he should stick to back of a length, angle away from the batsman. If the batsman are being aggressive then introduce slower balls

He needs to be patient and not always look for that magic delivery. Spot on.

I’m just stating honest observations
Rachin gave 60 runs in total out of which 23 runs were scored by Rizwan and Rizwan scored 103 runs before retiring out, so 23 out of 103 is your kind of "Most runs" basis your "HONEST OBSERVATIONS".

Root is a great player nice accumulator but against fast bowlers he plays a lot of that release shot . Should opposing teams use this in their plans ?

Why can't they take singles and twos. This is why Kohli has reached a peak not many can touch in this format. There was a match at Newlands, Capetown Kohli made 160 in 159 balls. Took 75 singles, 11 twos and 1 three. Most recently against Pakistan at colombo he took 38 singles 15 twos. It was not a tuk tuk innings either. 122 in 94 balls.

Rachin gave 60 runs in total out of which 23 runs were scored by Rizwan and Rizwan scored 103 runs before retiring out, so 23 out of 103 is your kind of "Most runs" basis your "HONEST OBSERVATIONS".
I’m talking about the past year or so. Including those 5 ODIs and T20s

I hope nz never win a world title. Odi world cup or t20.

Root is a great player of spin, to tie him down should use pace bowlers more against him.

I don't see England winning from here unless Woakes extract some movement and Rashid coming to party

Why can't they take singles and twos. This is why Kohli has reached a peak not many can touch in this format. There was a match at Newlands, Capetown Kohli made 160 in 159 balls. Took 75 singles, 11 twos and 1 three. Most recently against Pakistan at colombo he took 38 singles 15 twos. It was not a tuk tuk innings either. 122 in 94 balls.
In odi world cup in crucial stages he never performed.

Phillips to Root, OUT. 77 off 86
Reverse-sweep and bowled him.Phillips the golden-arm

Eng 229/7 (41.1/50 ov)

People were making fun of Philips bowling at Pakistan and them scoring against him.

This is at best is NZ B attack without Southee and Ferguson, and even Bracewell who I believe is out injured

This is the third time in recent times Root has succumbed to reverse sweep for England. Twice in Tests. Now here on a big stage

Buttler's cutesy shot was the turning point. Credit to NZ's precise planning to get him out.

He got 5 fifties last world cup. I am talking about general approach in ODIs. Let us not delve into that filter nonsense again.
It's the truth. He doesn't score against top full strength attacks. Hence his ko failures time and time again.

Kohli is an accumulator. If anything indicates should drop him and pick someone like that jasiwal guy. He looked a lot better.

It's the truth. He doesn't score against top full strength attacks. Hence his ko failures time and time again.

Kohli is an accumulator. If anything indicates should drop him and pick someone like that jasiwal guy. He looked a lot better.
He has thrashed them in various matches. Anyways let us not get distracted.

Curran and Woakes both are capable of good knocks but it will not be enough as main batsmen did not do their job except Root and Butler.

Knuckle ball pitch it has become. Fast and furious stuff will travel deeper and farther. Curran can use his cutters and sniff out a couple. Woakes with new ball. Rashid can bag a couple. One of the reason England will come back with hope is this NZ side is not exactly a great side against spin. May be that is why Ravindra is even there. Guys like Philips, Mitchell are all vulnerable.

santner is going to be more and more threatening as the world cup goes on. He will be in my Fantasy pick

Stick to only New Zealand vs England. Last warning else comments will be deleted

Why did the people who claimed England would hit 500 dissappear? I told you bros, After watching how eng did against Bangladesh it was always 70-30 in NZ's favour.

That's one of the best spin bowling spells in ODI cricket of recent times from Santner.

Most balanced ODI pitches in the world. Also , most varied pitches for a World Cup as acknowledged by Cricviz boffins themselves .

The quality of cricket is going to be of a very high standard :inti
Totally agree but some pandit said Indian pitch are most flat .

120-130 kmph pacer Henry should be brutally smashed. Not treated like McGrath. England is vastly overrated as I mentioned before. Flat track bully that fluked a world cup in 2019.

Nz missing lockie here.

If Kiwis can keep them under 270 they should fancy chasing it down.

Henry to Sam Curran, OUT
Short, swishes outside off, and a thin snick to the keeper! England's innings is falling in a heap now!

Matt Henry picks his third wicket.

Totally agree but some pandit said Indian pitch are most flat .
This pitch us fantastic. Perfect. If you apply yourself you can bat really well. Something for pacers and a bit for spin. Cant complain.

England's true colours are being shown.

Everyone got fooled by warm up match pitches :) Each ground have more than one pitch. Whatever they played on was flat. In world cup matches par score may be more like 280

The avg winning 1st inns score at this ground is 254. Again not a large sample, but it may be competitive especially if ball swings under lights.

Back