New Zealand (283/1) hammer England (282/9) by 9 wickets to win Match 1 of the ICC World Cup 2023

Which side will win the ICC World Cup 2023 game between England and New Zealand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NZ may be start getting worried. Everybody IPL follower know how dangerous Buttler can get towards the end. He rips the bowling to shreds.

Boult has improved recently. I am not going to blame NZ bowling here. 4 wickets here is a bonus. This is a good batting surface.

Root has to be there till the end to ensure Eng gets a good score. Has played beautifully so far.

Where is Sodhi?

Last edited by a moderator:
No one has an issue with the number 3 of Pakistan going at at 90-100 strike rate and guiding the innings

Tbh, root always looks at ease when playing, with babar it's unknown when he'll get out. Even in 2019, it always looks as if root is playing so well, he gets a high score without ever dropping low on Sr, or decreasing the run rate. Proper risk free cricket but also High SR to accommodate. Excellent no 3 for England.

They are making sure that the scoreboard keeps ticking. Something we lack

I know but atleast talk relevant stuff. We want to be excited about the match and world cup.
Very idea of him bringing in was to talk about his experience having been part of 6 world cups and game's evolution. Its okay in a ODI where you have a lot of steady moments where you have nothing else to talk about. There are some guys who can share the same things in a lighter vein. Tendulkar is not used to it. Ashwin in future will be interesting to listen to.

Tbf, root always looks at ease when playing, with babar it's unknown when he'll get out. Even in 2019, it always looks as if root is playing so well, he gets a high score without ever dropping low on Sr, or decreasing the run rate. Proper risk free cricket but also High SR to accommodate. Excellent no 3 for England.
Root is a more versatile batsman. Apart from Australia where you have bounce he has fantastic record

Ravendra back on

Bat hitting ball sound of Buttler is a sign of his rhythm typically. So far it is nothing but sweet.

Respectfully the world except for Pakistan knows how to play on India pitches and hopefully thats remedied in the coming years as well...
I don't want to derail the thread as this is not about Pakistan v India. All i said was that India had home advantage since the WC taking place in India. But you could not post without bringing in Pakistan.

Yes the World knows how to play on indian pitches, but not the current Pakistani players. Can you tell me how many of the current pakistani players have played in India before this WC? Rest of the world plays there at least 2 months annually.

And if you look at Pakistan's past record in ODIs in India, that's not bad you know....

Doully spot on, this is a very good pitch and easily 300+ but England played some overly aggressive shots but then again thats how they play.

Having said that, NZ have been so tight and accurate, in particular Santner and Henry.

This is a good contest but it will be so easy chasing.

Root is a more versatile batsman. Apart from Australia where you have bounce he has fantastic record
I mean, Root looks more at ease then any no 3 including kohli, Kohli has more impact, but root looks very class playing at no 3. Its the standard definition of how you can pay completly risk free but still go at 90+ SR from the get go.

just our luck , wel be playing these teams when there main players will be back from injuries . Southee injury sounds concerning though! Stokes has not had much game practice so might be under cooked , but that stokes is a phenomenal

Big wicket

England can get wrapped up under 260 here

Looks like it's going to be a win toss and bowl first kind of world cup with teams preferring to chase...except in the case of Pakistan who self-destruct when chasing...

Genuine quicks may make life easier on these slower Indian pitches .
Trundlers like Henry who are tight and wobble the ball are far more valuable

I don't want to derail the thread as this is not about Pakistan v India. All i said was that India had home advantage since the WC taking place in India. But you could not post without bringing in Pakistan.

Yes the World knows how to play on indian pitches, but not the current Pakistani players. Can you tell me how many of the current pakistani players have played in India before this WC? Rest of the world plays there at least 2 months annually.

And if you look at Pakistan's past record in ODIs in India, that's not bad you know....
Again dont want to derail honestly and this is my last post on it and we can continue it else where. I meant except for against Pakistan, India doesnt hold much of a home advantage for any other opponents, in terms of pitches etc. HA for crowd yes, pitches nope.

And then I said hopefully thats remedied in the coming years i.e. India hosts Pakistan in the coming years, IPL etc etc. Nowhere was it a dig at Pakistan- rather stating India doesnt hold home advantage at all much these days.

Pakistan's record in India is quite good and this isnt India v Pakistan, but sometimes eyes read and brain interpret what they want to...

Looks like it's going to be a win toss and bowl first kind of world cup with teams preferring to chase...except in the case of Pakistan who self-destruct when chasing...
No at all .win toss & bat first then score 340-350

Again, this is kinda what I was talking about since yesterday. England isn't as strong as people are making them out to be

Their a class team but they were never ever in a position to thrash New Zealand. The fact that NZ are playing with a virtually 2nd string team atm while England is only missing Ben Stokes kinda proves my point in current NZ being superior.

It's why I voted for NZ and why the vote didn't change. Besides Root, they don't have any player who has discipline and can properly play. It's really just do or die approach for every batter except Root.

Henry having one of his best games ever, I've seen him bowl so much in the last few years and this is some of the best he has ever looked. Great line, length, changes in pace and just that sneaky wobble seam.

Ravindra is going at 8. Has bagged 1 wicket. They don't seem to mind. It is a trade off for them

Despite loosing wicket, england would still make 300-310 and its not gonna be easy chase for blackcaps.

Henry having one of his best games ever, I've seen him bowl so much in the last few years and this is some of the best he has ever looked. Great line, length, changes in pace and just that sneaky wobble seam.
You weren’t paying attention in the Pakistan series

He’s been bowling really good there as well

Rules to bowling against Buttler
1. Don’t bowl full
2. Go back to rule 1

People always underrate the NZ team going into the wc.

Truth is, they’re the most balanced side of the tournament.
They’re good side , play the game smart but I think their spin option MAY hurt them . They’re most people’s favourite team outside their own

NZ banks on Ravindra's batting. But i have to say he has conceded too many to compensate for it. 67 means he needs to score atleast 30.

Rizwan scored most of his runs against Ravindra btw
Everyone here was aware of your motivations for targeting this poor individual. Now that you've noticed the lack of response, it seems you've opted to express your rhetoric more directly.

This is some crazy decision to play just 3 main bowlers. So they must have a target they are comfortable with.

Mike Arthron grilling Shastri on why host team is not playing the opening game

They’re good side , play the game smart but I think their spin option MAY hurt them . They’re most people’s favourite team outside their own
Their spin is garbage unfortunately.

Back