Newcastle United FC | 2023/24 Season

Talk Sport is basically Troll Sport. They always get angry fans on.

If you are into your football shows, The Big 6ix on youtube is fantastic. A great Panel with a mix of tribalism, humour and actual footballing guys who know what they are talking about.

I tune in weekly. Its generally twice a week. Monday is Review show and Thursday or Friday is preview show. Normally around 9pm

Talk Sport is basically Troll Sport. They always get angry fans on.

If you are into your football shows, The Big 6ix on youtube is fantastic. A great Panel with a mix of tribalism, humour and actual footballing guys who know what they are talking about.

I tune in weekly. Its generally twice a week. Monday is Review show and Thursday or Friday is preview show. Normally around 9pm

Even though we aren't part of the Big Six I actually listen to this show and have done regularly for a while now

Nick Pope has become the latest player to be added to Newcastle United's already extensive injury list, after suffering a suspected dislocated shoulder in their win over Manchester United.

The injury is another blow for manager Eddie Howe, who was already without the likes of striker Callum Wilson, defender Dan Burn and winger Harvey Barnes.

The Daily Telegraph's Luke Edwards struggled to explain Pope's innocuous injury on BBC Radio 5 Live's Football Daily podcast: "I'm just not sure how it happened. Well there wasn't any contact, was there? I don't know what he's done, he seemed to be going off holding his ribs or his shoulder.

"It seems to be another freak injury that they have had. Dan Burn landed on his back and is going to be out for three months after just jumping to get the ball and falling awkwardly.

"Sometimes, when you've got a lot of injuries, you look at the conditioning and what's going on in training. Yes Newcastle have got more games than ever before, and we're seeing a lot more injuries in the Premier League in general, but a lot of it is just bad luck.

"But they haven't used it as an excuse at any time. Sometimes managers go into press conferences and they talk about how many players are out, they talk about how many players are injured or missing, and that starts feeding into the dressing room culture. The players start thinking 'we can feel sorry for ourselves' or 'we've got a get out if we lose'.

"He [Eddie Howe] already had nothing on his bench [v Manchester United] and now he's lost his goalkeeper. So that will tarnish things, particularly with a tough week coming up."

Source: BBC Sport

Newcastle's troubles grow with Nick Pope's mysterious injury. Luke Edwards is puzzled, highlighting a streak of bad luck for the team. Manager Eddie Howe faces a tough challenge with key players sidelined.

Newcastle's troubles grow with Nick Pope's mysterious injury. Luke Edwards is puzzled, highlighting a streak of bad luck for the team. Manager Eddie Howe faces a tough challenge with key players sidelined.
It's not mysterious, he landed awkwardly and dislocated his shoulder but it just sums up the injury ravaged season we are having

It's a minor miracle we are in the position that we are and still in with a chance of getting to the next stage of the CL (this chance would have been higher if not for a huge officiating error)

Nick Pope: Newcastle goalkeeper set to miss most of season after suffering dislocated shoulder against Manchester United

Newcastle goalkeeper Nick Pope is set to miss most of the remainder of the season after it was decided he needs an operation on a dislocated shoulder.

Pope was substituted against Manchester United on Saturday after falling awkwardly trying to save a shot, and it has been confirmed he has dislocated his shoulder.

The timeframe of Pope's absence is unknown, but the average recovery time after such a surgery is approximately four months. Pope, 31, dislocated the same shoulder five years ago while a Burnley player and missed six months of action.

Pope was in brilliant form before his injury, with a string of outstanding saves against Bournemouth, Chelsea and PSG leading to calls for him to be recalled to the England squad.

Without Pope for an extended spell, Newcastle will need to lean on Martin Dubravka and Loris Karius.

Newcastle winger Jacob Murphy suffered a similar injury earlier this season. He tried to return to action without having surgery, only to break down again on his comeback - and has since been operated on.

Newcastle: Eddie Howe rues absence of attacking options as tired Magpies lose at Everton

Eddie Howe admitted it's a "big miss" to be without "outstanding" but injured attackers after seeing his weary Newcastle side lose 3-0 at Everton.

As well as goalkeeper Nick Pope, who was replaced by Martin Dubravka, Newcastle are currently missing 10 outfielders to injury: Jacob Murphy, Dan Burn, Callum Wilson, Elliot Anderson, Sean Longstaff, Sven Botman, Joe Willock, Harvey Barnes, Javier Manquillo and Matt Targett. Sando Tonali is also suspended.

That has led to Howe playing the same 10 outfield players in each of the past four Newcastle games and the strain told on Thursday. They were out-run by Everton 110km to 107km, with their opponents logging 151 sprints to Newcastle's 99.

Howe insisted his side could still have taken something from the game if they had performed better but rued the absence, in particular, of "attacking options", such as Wilson, Barnes, Murphy and Willock.

"There are reasons behind every performance and we have struggled to change our players in-running," he said.

"To have the attacking options we feel we need to change the game, that's not there for us and that's a big miss. There are some quality players, outstanding players that aren't with us at the moment.

"You can potentially do it for a short period of time, the longer you do it the harder it gets. That's not to say it's impossible. That's why I'm disappointed - I think it's a missed opportunity for us and we didn't really grab it and paid the price."

Speaking to Amazon Prime, Howe pointed to missed chances from his side, with Anthony Gordon wasteful on his return to his former club.

"It was a tough night in the end. I thought the first half was very even, a scrappy game - probably what we thought it would be. I don't think we stamped our authority enough on the game in those early stages.

"I thought we had our best spell in the second half, when we camped them in for 15, 20 minutes, but we weren't clinical enough when those chances came. We shot ourselves in the foot, really."

He also defended Kieran Trippier, who was at fault for two of the goals. "Trippier's been absolutely magnificent," said Howe. "He's probably been the catalyst behind what we've done. As a team, we weren't where we needed to be - that's why we didn't win the game."

So far so good for Newcastle as they are winning against AC Milan and PSG vs Dortmund game is level at 0-0.

Things were looking at the Half Time but they conceded two goals in the second half to lose 1-2 against AC Milan and PSG vs Dortmund game is ended at 1-1. It means that Newcastle isn't only out of the Champions League knockouts but they are also out of the Europa League as well as they have finished at the bottom of their group.

Newcastle United's Champions League campaign ended in heartbreak on a night of emotion and drama on Tyneside, as AC Milan came from behind to win at St James' Park and send them out of Europe.

The Toon Army were dreaming of a place in the knockout stages when they took the lead through Joelinton's 33rd-minute thunderbolt while Borussia Dortmund led against Paris St-Germain in Germany.

It was an outcome that would have sent Newcastle through on head-to-head results against PSG - but the mood shifted in a matter of minutes just before the hour.

Teenager Warren Zaire-Emery equalised for the French champions in Germany, then former Chelsea forward Christian Pulisic levelled for Milan.

As both sides pushed for a winner in an open game, Milan keeper Mike Maignan did brilliantly to turn Bruno Guimaraes' shot on to the woodwork before Rafael Leao raced clear for the Italians, only to shoot against the foot of the post.

Newcastle's fate was sealed six minutes from time when Milan struck ruthlessly on the counter-attack, substitute Samuel Chukwueze curling a superb finish high past Martin Dubravka.

It left manager Eddie Howe and his players devastated following a return to the Champions League which was fiercely fought, but has ended with them bottom of Group F and without even the consolation of a place in the Europa League.

Newcastle United moves up to number 6 spot on the table after a comfortable 3-0 win over 10-man Fulham. During the match, seventeen-year-old Lewis Miley became youngest Premier League goalscorer for Newcastle.

They are now only 5 points from the top 4 so this win would keep them in hunt to finish the season in the top 4 but it will be tough battle with the likes of Tottenham, Aston Villa and Manchested United.

Well it's no secret that gulf money can change fortunes of club. First Manchester City and now New Castle. New Castle looking sharp this season.

What's happened to Kieran Trippier?

Costing Newcastle games week after week right now

Newcastle United: Drop in standards contributing to poor form - Kieran Trippier​

Full-back Kieran Trippier says a drop in "standards" is contributing to Newcastle's poor Premier League form, which continued with a home defeat by Nottingham Forest.

The Magpies slipped to their fourth defeat in five top-flight matches on Tuesday, and sit seventh in the table.

Eddie Howe's team have also been knocked out of the Champions League and Carabao Cup during December.

"We know we can do better," Trippier said on Amazon Prime.

"The standards we have set throughout the last 18 months, we have come away from them a little bit in the last few games."

Uncharacteristic errors in defeats at Everton, Tottenham and in the EFL Cup at Chelsea earlier this month have also placed added scrutiny on the England full-back, who captained the side against Forest in the absence of Jamaal Lascelles.

The 33-year-old, who has widely been held up as a symbol of the club's transformation under Eddie Howe, offered a candid assessment of his own current form, while saying he is determined to return to his best quickly.

"My standards have dropped and my own performances have been nowhere near recently," added Trippier, who withdrew from Three Lions squad in November for personal reasons.

"I won't shy away from it. I have had a lot of setbacks in my career and this is just another one where I need to keep going and keep believing. I have always got that belief to bounce back."

Added commitments taking their toll
Newcastle's loss to Forest came in their 10th fixture in 31 days, and both Trippier and Howe believe the punishing schedule and a crippling injury list should be factored into their recent struggles.

"It is a lot of games and being in Europe has been a challenge for the club," Trippier said. "The majority of the players are not used to playing in the Champions League and it's been a challenge for the team.

"We've had a lot of injuries, the lads have given everything and worked hard for each other, but we have to start the second half of the season strong.

"Teams always go through moments and we are going through one now, but football changes quickly and for sure this team will bounce back."

Meanwhile, Howe added: "The big thing for us is that we haven't been able to train [properly] in a long period of time and hopefully now we'll get some training-ground time.

"I don't think physically we're at our best. I think that's obvious and I think I would be lying if I said otherwise."

Newcastle will travel to Anfield, a venue where they last won in 1994, to face title challengers Liverpool in their next Premier League fixture on 1 January.

Source: BBC

Newcastle Starting XI vs Liverpool: Dubravka; Livramento, Schar, Botman, Burn; Miley, Guimaraes, Longstaff; Gordon, Isak, Joelinton.

Liverpool deserved to win but two odd penalties.

What's your thoughts @Geordie Ahmed on the penalties and the decision to stay on field calls?

Clear and obvious or subjective?

Liverpool deserved to win but two odd penalties.

What's your thoughts @Geordie Ahmed on the penalties and the decision to stay on field calls?

Clear and obvious or subjective?

I can see why the first one was given, there was contact, it was a silly tackle to make, soft but made sense to stay with the on field decision

I thought the second penalty was just bizarre, there was slight contact but he takes 2 steps and then falls over, which meets the definition of a dive for me

Overall though, they absolutely battered us so even if the penalty decisions weren't correct I can't be too upset as they were the better team by some distance and deservedly won

We are on a horrid run at this moment, think the brutal fixtures as well as the injury crisis has well and truly caught up with this season. In the league we have City (H) and Villa (a) next so it isn't going to get easier, however on paper Feb onwards looks kinder to us so that's where Howe/players will need to really go on a run and try to see if we can scrape into a European spot

Before that though, we have Sunderland away from home in the Cup, I'm a lot more nervous about that game when the draw was made. Our form, combined with their form, plus all the pressure is on us means it's got possible defeat written all over it. Hopefully I'm wrong and we can get a comfortable win

I can see why the first one was given, there was contact, it was a silly tackle to make, soft but made sense to stay with the on field decision

I thought the second penalty was just bizarre, there was slight contact but he takes 2 steps and then falls over, which meets the definition of a dive for me

Overall though, they absolutely battered us so even if the penalty decisions weren't correct I can't be too upset as they were the better team by some distance and deservedly won

We are on a horrid run at this moment, think the brutal fixtures as well as the injury crisis has well and truly caught up with this season. In the league we have City (H) and Villa (a) next so it isn't going to get easier, however on paper Feb onwards looks kinder to us so that's where Howe/players will need to really go on a run and try to see if we can scrape into a European spot

Before that though, we have Sunderland away from home in the Cup, I'm a lot more nervous about that game when the draw was made. Our form, combined with their form, plus all the pressure is on us means it's got possible defeat written all over it. Hopefully I'm wrong and we can get a comfortable win
Reading your posts you seem a "football man".

Whats your take on Eddie Howe? Did really well to get you to where he did but not sure what the feeling is amongst NUFC fans.
I feel the media will be nice to him being English but the pressure seems to be mounting. Depending on how ambitious your owners are and whether they want to bring in a big name at some point.

I mean the injuries you guys have had have been mental but losing to Forest at home like you did was pretty low.

A win against the mackems will score a few points surely IF he is under any pressure of course.

Fair post. Jota was a pen as there was contact, it doesnt matter if he went down after, as players can try to continue after getting tagged but can fall if they feel the contact has caused poor balance,touch etc. But no point debating this Newcastle were taken apart the whole match.

My question to you as a Newcastle fan is ... why didnt the richest owners on the planet spend big in the summer? Howe did amazing to get into the CL league. Why no big marquee signings? I thought Newcastle would go out and buy a couple of 100 million world class players esp as over the years their spend has been very low, so no issue of breaking spending rules?

Reading your posts you seem a "football man".

Whats your take on Eddie Howe? Did really well to get you to where he did but not sure what the feeling is amongst NUFC fans.
I feel the media will be nice to him being English but the pressure seems to be mounting. Depending on how ambitious your owners are and whether they want to bring in a big name at some point.

I mean the injuries you guys have had have been mental but losing to Forest at home like you did was pretty low.

A win against the mackems will score a few points surely IF he is under any pressure of course.

Personally I'm very much supportive of Eddie Howe and I am uncomfortable with any notion of him being in trouble

The feeling amongst the majority of the fans is the same but the twitter fans (who are a different breed) are starting to shout about him being under pressure but as long as the match going fans, especially the away fans stick with the manager then those on twitter can say what they like. We've only won 1 game away from home in the league all season yet at the end of each game the fans show full support to the manager

We have the 9th highest wage bill in the league, what we did last season was overachieve significantly, especially when you really look at our squad, there's lots of likeable players but they aren't that good really. However when you overachieve there is a danger that people have short memories, if we had this season last year people would have been delighted. Also, the margins are so fine, we were seconds away from winning away to PSG but were on the end of a horrible decision and we were seconds away from being in the League Cup semi final before Trippier gifted them a goal.

For me, he gets a pass because the injury situation has been so brutal, the current set of players have been ran into the ground and they look absolutely knackered. I think we are at pretty much 1 game each week, the fixtures are kinder and we should have a few players start to come back (maybe add 1 or 2), I'm quietly confident we can go on a run and aim to finish around 7th.

Regardless of how the season ends, for me Howe needs to be backed in the summer and allowed to be in charge for next season. If we don't see improvements then I could see him being in trouble but that's far away and not something to really think about at this moment.

Fair post. Jota was a pen as there was contact, it doesnt matter if he went down after, as players can try to continue after getting tagged but can fall if they feel the contact has caused poor balance,touch etc. But no point debating this Newcastle were taken apart the whole match.

My question to you as a Newcastle fan is ... why didnt the richest owners on the planet spend big in the summer? Howe did amazing to get into the CL league. Why no big marquee signings? I thought Newcastle would go out and buy a couple of 100 million world class players esp as over the years their spend has been very low, so no issue of breaking spending rules?

It's often said we have the richest owners in the world, whilst that may well be true but it doesn't make us the richest club in the world and that's a big difference

We are very much restricted by FFP, our revenue for years was pathetic and very low thanks to Mike Ashley. He did nothing to grow the revenue and we need to start building that up. The shirt sponsor, new Adidas deal as well as other sponsorships we've announce should drive that revenue but it takes time.

The owners could spend a billion and not bat an eyelid but we'd get caught by FFP and we've seen what's happened to Everton, so we need to follow the rules and the owners have shown a willingness to do that. Which means we can't just spend £200m on a couple of players, we need to be more sensible with our spending and we are a few years away from being able to even get close to competing with the "big 6" clubs

Also, in terms of revenue we haven't really made money by selling players. Saint-Maximum is the biggest sale we've done but the previous players we either sold/loan or got rid of were worth absolutely nothing because they were rubbish and brought in nothing in terms of revenue (Clark, Gayle, Darlow, Hayden, Hendrick, Shelvey etc etc).

Whilst I don't want to sell our key players but if we sold some players we could get a few quid for them, which also helps.

So in short, we aren't able to spend due to FFP and it's going to be a gradual process before we increase our revenue and in turn will be able to spend more.

Newcastle accept they may have to sell one of their star players this summer as they strive to remain on the right side of the Premier League’s profit and sustainability regulations.

Although the club’s latest accounts revealed a loss of £155m over the past three seasons – ostensibly in excess of the £105m PSR limit – it is understood that money invested in the women’s team, charity foundation and academy can be removed from the deficit, leaving Newcastle on the right side of the law.

“We’re compliant,” said Darren Eales, the chief executive, before refusing to rule out the possibilities of “trading” a player such as Bruno Guimarães, Alexander Isak or Sven Botman or even eventually leaving St James’ Park for a new stadium.

Newcastle’s two-goal hero Alexander Isak clashes with Sunderland's Daniel Ballard during a feisty FA Cup third-round derby.
‘Winning meant a hell of a lot’: Howe warns Newcastle’s confidence is back

Despite Eales’s evident delight at the club’s latest set of financial results highlighting a near 40% rise in turnover to £250.3m and a 66% increase in commercial revenues to £43.9m, St James’ current 52,000 capacity is restricting room for further growth.

Given that Newcastle made an overall post-tax loss of £73.4m in the financial year to June 2023 and the ability of the vastly wealthy Saudi ownership to invest in new players is limited by PSR, maximising off-field income is vital.

“If we’re going to get to where we want to get to, at times, it’s necessary to trade your players,” said Eales who is determined to help establish Newcastle as a trophy-chasing, top-six club. “It’s a counterintuitive part of the PSR system that there is an incentive to trade players if you want to reinvest.” He then explained that were Newcastle to sell a homegrown player for £50m, that total sum would count as profit but, should they then purchase a new £50m first teamer, the cost could be spread across five seasons.

Eales has commissioned leading international architects to compile a feasibility study on the potential for increasing St James’ Park’s capacity. Its city centre location makes this complicated and Newcastle’s chief executive conceded: “We have to grow our revenues. St James’ Park is in an amazing location and the ‘cathedral on the hill’ is part of what makes us special. If we’ve got the ability to stay in this location and still drive revenues that’s what we’ll do. But I don’t want to second-guess the study.

“We want to be a top-six sustainable club but Tottenham’s latest accounts show £440m (in turnover). We are at £250m so it’s a big step even to the lower end of the top six. Manchester City are at £710m. There’s a long way to go.”

It explains why Newcastle are unlikely to buy a new player outright to help Eddie Howe’s currently struggling team this month and fear the loan fee asked for Manchester City’s Kalvin Phillips may be too steep. “We’ve always known the [financial] rules of the game,” said Eales. “And we will always be complaint. But if you’re trying to be upwardly mobile it makes it a huge challenge. Have we [the Premier League] got that tension right in allowing clubs to be competitive and protecting them from going bust or over-spending?”

Source: The Guardian

Newcastle are prepared to let Brazil midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, 26, join Barcelona or Real Madrid for less than his £100m release clause this summer.

Newcastle United Stating XI vs Manchester City: Dubravka; Tripper, Schar, Botman, Burn; Miley, Guimaraes, Longstaff; Almiron, Isak, Gordon.

NUFC footballer Joelinton's home broken into

Burglars have targeted the home of Newcastle United footballer Joelinton.

Northumbria Police officers were was called at about 19:30 GMT on Saturday evening.

The homeowner, who the force is not naming, reported there were three men inside the house in Darras Hall, Northumberland.

A force spokesperson said: "Thankfully the homeowner was not home but had received a security alert on their phone and immediately reported concerns to police."

Officers were sent to the house, but anyone who had been inside had left, the force said.

Newcastle were playing Manchester City at St James' Park at the time.

Joelinton is currently injured, but was at the ground.

It comes only weeks after a break-in at the home of Manchester City player Jack Grealish.

His house was targeted by thieves on 27 December while he was playing against Everton in Liverpool.

Northumbria Police is asking anyone with information to contact the force.

Newcastle chair Yasir Al Rumayyan faces $74m lawsuit for allegedly “having carried out instructions” of Saudi Crown Prince MBS, with “malicious intent” of “harming, silencing & ultimately destroying” family of Saudi ex-intelligence chief.

Newcastle are going to review their January transfer plans at a special meeting this week following the injury to Brazil midfielder Joelinton, 27.

SOURCE: GUARDIAN

Newcastle United have rejected an approach from Bayern Munich for 33-year-old defender Kieran Trippier.

Newcastle forced to sell Bruno Guimaraes and Alexander Isak - sensational details emerge​

Newcastle United will be sensationally forced to sell first-team superstars Bruno Guimaraes and Alexander Isak to meet FFP regulations, sources have told Football Insider.

Speaking to the new edition of Football Insider’s Inside Track Podcast, transfer correspondent Pete O’Rourke revealed that there will be plenty of interest in the Magpies’ “prized assets” in the summer.

The club’s January business has been greatly impacted by their obligations to FFP following huge spending in the last few transfer windows.

Newcastle, like many Premier League sides, are fearful of facing charges recently levelled at Everton, who faced a 10-point deduction in November, and Nottingham Forest. This has motivated them to plan sales for their key stars to keep in line with the rules.

Both Isak and Guimaraes were bought for a reported £63million and £40million respectively by PiF, who have spent heavily on rebuilding the club.

Source: Football Insider

Bit of a blow that Joelinton is out for the rest of the season. Opposition will be pleased they don't have to deal with him at least.

Also looks like his contract is up next year so will be suprised if we see him in the black and white stripes again.

What's Bayern plan and Tuchels plan ? They trying to recreate Pochs spurs?

Where is Mousa Dembele these days?

Newcastle United have rejected latest bid from Bayern Munich for Kieran Trippier. Proposal was for permanent transfer worth €15m. Newcastle United have been adamant right-back is staying + 33yo will respect their decision but FC Bayern keep pushing Athletic Club.

Newcastle United have rejected latest bid from Bayern Munich for Kieran Trippier. Proposal was for permanent transfer worth €15m. Newcastle United have been adamant right-back is staying + 33yo will respect their decision but FC Bayern keep pushing Athletic Club.

Howe on Bayern bid rejected for Trippier: "You see the numbers and you think that might be good value for Kieran. But when you're in our position and you see the actual breakdown it's not good value at all", told Sky.

"It would have been a poor decision to accept it".

Newcastle United starting XI against Fulham in the FA Cup fourth round:

Dubravka, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn, Guimaraes, Longstaff, Miley, Murphy, Isak, Gordon

Newcastle United have made an approach to sign Aston Villa's Jacob Ramsey, who is also admired by Bayern Munich and Tottenham.

The 22-year-old is a key player for #AVFC, who ideally wouldn't consider selling the midfielder, but funds must be raised before the end of June to stay compliant with profit and sustainability rules.

That has alerted suitors, who believe offers above £50m ($63.5m) will at least be contemplated.

Newcastle Starting XI vs Aston Villa: Dubravka; Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn; Miley, Longstaff, Guimaraes; Murphy, Isak, Gordon.

NEWCASTLE'S Saudia Arabian owners are targeting an £800million takeover of Roma, according to reports.

The Saudi Public Investment Fund [PIF] purchased Newcastle from Mike Ashley in October 2021.

And the PIF are now planning to add Serie A giants Roma to their portfolio, according to La Repubblica.

Talks are underway with Roma's American owners Dan and Ryan Friedkin, with the PIF understood to be planning a £768m offer.

The Saudis are also planning to invest a further £258m into the club to build a new stadium in Pietralata.

Private investor Turki Alalshikh, who is a royal adviser and president of the General Entertainment Authority of Saudi Arabia, could front the takeover bid.

However, the Friedkins could prove tough negotiators as they value the club at £1billion and want to remain majority shareholders.

Roma's legal chief Eric Williamson, who works closely with the Friedkins, has been spotted in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia.

He is believed to have discussed a potential takeover with the Saudis, as well as the club's sponsorship deal with Riyadh Season, a Saudi sports and leisure festival that now features on the front of the Roma kit.

The PIF is part of the Saudi state and reportedly has resources of up to £1.1trillion.

NUFC starting Xi against Nottingham Forest: Dubravka, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn; Bruno, Miley, Longstaff, Almiron, Gordon, Wilson.

Newcastle striker Callum Wilson needs surgery on a chest muscle injury and faces up to 12 weeks out.

Eddie Howe confirms that Kieran Trippier will be out for the next two games, with the Newcastle manager hoping he will return after the international break.

Newcastle United staring XI vs Manchester City: Dubravka; Murphy, Schar, Lascelles (C), Botman, Burn; Guimaraes, Longstaff, Willock; Gordon, Isak.

Newcastle defender Sven Botman has been ruled out for six to nine months after sustaining an injury to his ACL.

Bad news for Newcastle as Lewis Miley has been injured on England duty.

Miley will be out for a number of weeks, it could be up to 6 weeks as per reports.

Newcastle have confirmed that Sandro Tonali has been charged with misconduct by the FA for allegedly breaching betting rules

talkSPORT revealed in November the Italian was being investigated by the FA for offences separate from those committed in Italy that resulted in his ten-month worldwide ban.

Tonali, a £55million signing from AC Milan last summer, is now accused of breaking betting rules 50 times between August 12 and October 12, following his move to St James' Park.

The midfielder is believed to be cooperating with the FA amid fears he could face further sanctions.

Tonali has been given until Friday, April 5 to respond to the charge.

An FA statement read: "Sandro Tonali has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of The FA’s Betting Rules.

"It’s alleged that the Newcastle United midfielder breached FA Rule E8 50 times by placing bets on football matches between 12 August 2023 and 12 October 2023."

Tonali made 12 appearances for Newcastle - the last of which came in the 1-0 Champions League defeat to Borussia Dortmund on October 25.

His initial ban from the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) was related to placing bets on matches he featured in during his time in Serie A.

It meant that Tonali was instantly sidelined for the remainder of the 2023/24 season and he will also miss Euro 2024 with Italy.

His lengthy suspension was due to expire on August 27, 2024, but Newcastle must now wait to see if further FA punishment follows.

In a statement, the Magpies said: "Newcastle United acknowledges a misconduct charge received by Sandro Tonali in respect of alleged breaches of FA Betting Rules.

"Sandro continues to fully comply with relevant investigations and he retains the club's full support.

"Due to this ongoing process, Sandro and Newcastle United are unable to offer further comment at this time."

Tonali has been training with Newcastle during his ban, with Eddie Howe recently claiming to have seen improvements in his game.

Asked about the Italy international last month, Toon boss Howe said: "We have spent time with him identifying areas of his game that we want to improve.

"He's got a lot of time to do that so we have spent a lot of time with him doing that. That naturally engages your brain into what you're doing.

"If we had not done that and it was just random training for him that was not specialised, that's when he could potentially drift mentally.

"I have to say he has been very good in supporting his teammates and very good in making the training sessions better for everybody. I've definitely seen an improvement in his game despite the fact he is not playing.

"That can sometimes be very difficult to improve your game without getting the match stimulus you need, but he has played in training games and bigger pitch stuff.

"It's important that we do that for him so athletically he does not suffer."

It's often said we have the richest owners in the world, whilst that may well be true but it doesn't make us the richest club in the world and that's a big difference

We are very much restricted by FFP, our revenue for years was pathetic and very low thanks to Mike Ashley. He did nothing to grow the revenue and we need to start building that up. The shirt sponsor, new Adidas deal as well as other sponsorships we've announce should drive that revenue but it takes time.

The owners could spend a billion and not bat an eyelid but we'd get caught by FFP and we've seen what's happened to Everton, so we need to follow the rules and the owners have shown a willingness to do that. Which means we can't just spend £200m on a couple of players, we need to be more sensible with our spending and we are a few years away from being able to even get close to competing with the "big 6" clubs

Also, in terms of revenue we haven't really made money by selling players. Saint-Maximum is the biggest sale we've done but the previous players we either sold/loan or got rid of were worth absolutely nothing because they were rubbish and brought in nothing in terms of revenue (Clark, Gayle, Darlow, Hayden, Hendrick, Shelvey etc etc).

Whilst I don't want to sell our key players but if we sold some players we could get a few quid for them, which also helps.

So in short, we aren't able to spend due to FFP and it's going to be a gradual process before we increase our revenue and in turn will be able to spend more.

The FFP rules will change soon , I can’t see how the big clubs will continue down this path , esp with Newcastle leading the way .

Now there is talk of selling Isak , your best player imo . Newcastle need to be patient , build a team by buying young talent .

the turning point was Tonali being banned, the team was playing well with his arrival. Now he’s facing more charges, someone missed his habits before signing him .

I would keep Eddie Howe for now

That's rough. I hope he has a speedy recovery

8yNKmw7.png

Howe wants to build team around Guimaraes​

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe says he wants to build a team around Bruno Guimaraes after it emerged the Brazil midfielder's £100m release clause expires this summer.

Guimaraes, 26, has been one of Newcastle's standout players this season and has been linked with Manchester City and Arsenal.

He signed a new five-year contract in October 2023, having impressed following a move from Lyon in January 2022.

Howe wants Guimaraes to stay but admitted Newcastle were "not in control" because of the clause, which expires at the end of June.

"Having that [release clause] was well planned and structured by the club," said Howe on Friday.

"We don’t want constant speculation, it’s not healthy for the player or for us. It goes without saying we want to keep him, I want to build our team around him.

"His form has been very good and he seems very happy and settled.

"He’ll be thinking about a very busy summer ahead, where hopefully we can take the team - with him a big part of it. But we aren’t in control of that so let’s see."

Newcastle, who are involved in a race with Manchester United to finish sixth, will relegate bottom club Sheffield United if they beat the Blades at St James' Park on Saturday (15:00 BST).

The Magpies are seventh in the table, three points behind sixth-placed Manchester United with five games left.

England forward Callum Wilson could make his first start since 10 February after returning from injury in the 2-0 defeat at Crystal Palace on Wednesday.

"He came through fine, I thought he looked good and worked well with the lads around him," added Howe.

BREAKING: 🚨 Newcastle's Sandro Tonali handed two-month suspended ban for 50 breaches of FA's betting rules.

BREAKING: 🚨 Newcastle's Sandro Tonali handed two-month suspended ban for 50 breaches of FA's betting rules.
Fortunately common sense prevailed

Any extended or additional ban would have been absurd

He owes us big time so hopefully next season he can be a standout player for us

Been a tough season having to deal with injuries (a suspension) and brutal cup draws

All things considered 7th is pretty good, just having a decent keeper for the previous 3-4 months and I reckon we would be closer to top 4

Man U were the only side in the PL we have never finished above so it's nice to have done that

I'd love us to have European football next season so hopefully City can win the FA Cup final

Big summer ahead, if we can keep Isak/Bruno and improve the squad we can be in the mix for top 4/5 (hopefully PL sides fare better in Europe next season)

Been a tough season having to deal with injuries (a suspension) and brutal cup draws

All things considered 7th is pretty good, just having a decent keeper for the previous 3-4 months and I reckon we would be closer to top 4

Man U were the only side in the PL we have never finished above so it's nice to have done that

I'd love us to have European football next season so hopefully City can win the FA Cup final

Big summer ahead, if we can keep Isak/Bruno and improve the squad we can be in the mix for top 4/5 (hopefully PL sides fare better in Europe next season)

I think the Tonali suspension changed things . When Darwin scored the two late winners, it’s still the best win of Liverpool season, not only being down 1-0 with ten men but Newcastle were playing sublime football. Europe also took a lot out of the team but yes overall a good season .

What’s your view on these friendly fixtures at this time ?

Newcastle beat Spurs on penalties in Melbourne friendly​

Newcastle beat Tottenham 5-4 on penalties in a post-season friendly in Australia - just three days after the Premier League ended.

The timing of the match, which was played in front of 78,419 fans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and finished 1-1 after normal time, had been called "madness" by former England and Newcastle striker Alan Shearer.

It went ahead despite concerns about the increasing workload being faced by players.

England midfielder James Maddison scored the 32nd-minute opener for Spurs, taking advantage of a poor pass by Newcastle goalkeeper Nick Pope and then weaving past the Magpies defence and smashing into the top corner.

Swedish striker Alexander Isak levelled from close range just before half-time.

The game then went straight to penalties with Bryan Gil having Spurs' first spot-kick saved by Mark Gillespie - the only one missed as the remaining nine were converted.

Right-back Harrison Ashby, who spent last season on loan at Swansea, struck the winning penalty for Newcastle.

Both clubs named strong squads for the trip with England defender Kieran Trippier, Brazil midfielder Bruno Guimaraes and Isak in the Newcastle starting line-up, while Maddison, Dutch defender Micky van de Ven and South Korea captain Son Heung-min in the Spurs ranks.

Trippier, who like Maddison is in England's provisional Euro 2024 squad, came off after 36 minutes, which Newcastle said was "pre-planned".

Speaking before the match, boss Eddie Howe said it was an opportunity to "grow the name of Newcastle".

While Spurs manager Ange Postecoglou accepted the "exposure and revenue" was a key element of the long trip, he acknowledged had his side been in European competition this season he would have blocked it.

Newcastle will also play a second match against an A-League All Star side on Friday.

This summer has the European Championship in Germany, which starts on 14 June, while the Copa America gets under way in the United States six days later.

Critics say these global games are some of the least sustainable of any football fixtures based on the emissions from the long-haul flights.

Then there is the impact of fan travel – more likely this summer when several Premier League teams head to the United States for their pre-season tours.

More important than the emissions perhaps is the example it sets and the potential it has to undermine positive climate action, these games are not essential and are exactly the kind of emissions that should and could be avoided in any true Net Zero strategy.

Flying also impacts the body, and more games are bad for player welfare and wellbeing in an already overcrowded schedule. Ensuring rest is why clubs say they need to use domestic flights, so it points to double standards there.

They are financially motivated, in a sport with more money than any other. Whether the cost to the environment is worth the financial reward depends on your individual perspective but clubs definitely can’t be championing positive action at home among fans and then expect this kind of behaviour to go unchallenged.

I think the Tonali suspension changed things . When Darwin scored the two late winners, it’s still the best win of Liverpool season, not only being down 1-0 with ten men but Newcastle were playing sublime football. Europe also took a lot out of the team but yes overall a good season .

What’s your view on these friendly fixtures at this time ?

Those Darwin goals were fairly pivotal but we managed to get our season in a good place but December was brutal

From a football perspective the friendlies are absurd, we've had a tough season and such a lengthy flight can't be helping

However FFP/PSR means we don't have the luxury of turning down revenue when it presents itself so I get why the club have done it

It's a necessary evil if you will

Those Darwin goals were fairly pivotal but we managed to get our season in a good place but December was brutal

From a football perspective the friendlies are absurd, we've had a tough season and such a lengthy flight can't be helping

However FFP/PSR means we don't have the luxury of turning down revenue when it presents itself so I get why the club have done it

It's a necessary evil if you will

Sure , Newcastle have huge ambitions, money coming in is key . They will with others change that rules in the coming years . But I’m not sure selling key performing players like Isak is sensible unless replaced with a huge name who sells shirts worldwide.

Wonder if they’ll keep Eddie Howe . I have a feeling England will want him after Southgate goes in the summer

Sure , Newcastle have huge ambitions, money coming in is key . They will with others change that rules in the coming years . But I’m not sure selling key performing players like Isak is sensible unless replaced with a huge name who sells shirts worldwide.

Wonder if they’ll keep Eddie Howe . I have a feeling England will want him after Southgate goes in the summer
I'm not worried about Howe going, think the owners are more than happy with him and also he strikes me as someone that loves the day to day of football management

He'd be bored out of his mind if he managed England so it's not something I see him doing anytime soon

I agree keeping Isak and Bruno is key. With Isak we can scare people away by putting a crazy price on him (£120m+) whereas we are bit more vulnerable with Bruno as he does have a release clause

I'd much sooner lose a lot of the fringe players than lose Bruno or Isak but we'll have to see how the summer plays out

Newcastle United have missed out on European football next season following Manchester United's victory in the FA Cup final.

BBC

Newcastle release 11 players including two longest-serving stars and former Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius

Experienced duo Paul Dummett, 32, and Matt Ritchie, 34, are both leaving once their contracts expire next month.

The pair have made almost 450 appearances for the Magpies - who missed out on European qualification after Manchester United won the FA Cup.

Dummett was the club’s longest-serving player having joined their academy aged nine.

The Welsh international defender made his debut in January 2013 and made 215 appearances for his hometown team.

Ritchie joined from Bournemouth in 2016 and, alongside Dummett, played a huge role in Rafa Benitez’s Championship-winning side that season.

The Scottish ace scored 25 goals in 215 matches for the North East side.

Meanwhile, ex-Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius is also heading out of the St. James’ Park exit door after 18 months on Tyneside.

The German, 30, made his debut in last season’s Carabao Cup final defeat to Manchester United with his only other outing coming in the 4-1 defeat at Arsenal in the Premier League back in February.

Midfielder Jeff Kendrick, 32, will also leave Newcastle after four years.

The Republic of Ireland ace joined as a free agent from Burnley but only made 27 appearances and scored three times for the Toon.

He has been shipped out on loan to QPR and Reading before spending this campaign on loan at Sheffield Wednesday.

Another academy graduate, defender Kell Watts, is being released to.

The 24-year-old began training with the club’s academy aged eight and he appeared once in the Premier League.

But he has played 100 times in the football League after loan stints with Stevenage, Mansfield Town, Plymouth Argyle, Wigan Athletic and Peterborough United.

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe said: “I'd like to say a huge thank you to each of the players leaving the club this summer.

“They have all given so much to the cause in their own ways, and I know our supporters will join me in wishing them every success with the next step in their careers.

“It's easy to judge players by appearances and goals, but the contribution made to the club by Paul and Matt in particular really has been immeasurable over many years.

“They have had a huge influence on our progress as a team and as a club.

“They have been incredible people and players to work with. Their dedication, professionalism and leadership in the dressing room during my time here has been first class, and they will bring undoubted quality and experience to their next clubs.

“It's also a significant moment for Kell, who has been with the club since he was eight. Kell is a top professional with an outstanding attitude, and his next club will be incredibly fortunate to have him.

“I wish the players and their families the very best for the future.”

Meanwhile, six academy players are also being released - including one who recently made their Premier League debut.

Matty Bondswell, Kyle Crossley, Amadou Diallo, Jordan Hackett, Michael Ndiweni and Jude Smith are all looking for a new club.

Diallo, 21, came off the bench against Chelsea in November for his first taste of top-flight action.

Newcastle sign former Bournemouth defender Kelly​

Newcastle have signed out-of-contract Bournemouth defender Lloyd Kelly, who is understood to have penned a five-year deal.

Kelly, 25, played 23 times in the Premier League for Bournemouth as his side finished 12th.

He will reunite with Newcastle boss Eddie Howe, who brought Kelly to the Cherries from Bristol City for £13m in 2019 when he was in charge of Bournemouth.

He said the chance to work with Howe ensured the move "wasn't a hard decision".

“Working with the gaffer previously, I know what he wants from his players and how he wants his players to play, and I think with what I can bring it just makes sense," Kelly said.

"I just can't wait to get started.”

Kelly can play as a left-back or left centre-half and bolsters Howe's defensive options after Newcastle missed out on Tosin Adarabioyo, who opted to join Chelsea from Fulham.

Newcastle United have turned defender Lewis Hall's loan move from Chelsea into a permanent switch for £28m

The 19-year-old joined the Magpies last August and made 22 appearances, scoring twice, during the 2023-24 season.

"I am extremely proud to be able to build on last season and continue my journey at Newcastle United," said the England Under-21 left-back.

"When you pull on the black and white shirt, there is no feeling like it and playing in front of the best supporters in the country is extra special for me, being a Toon fan.

"I gained a lot of experience last season, and with the squad we have, we'll be looking to push on even further this season. I can't wait to get started."

Hall came through the ranks at Chelsea and made his first-team debut in a FA Cup win against Chesterfield in January 2022.

"As well as being a talented player, he has a great attitude towards the game and to his own development and I'm excited for this next part of his journey in a Newcastle United shirt," said Magpies boss Eddie Howe.

Newcastle United co-owners Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi are set to leave the club.

They took a 10% share in Newcastle when they helped to orchestrate the Saudi Arabian-backed £305m takeover of the club in 2021.

The husband and wife's share has since decreased to six per cent as Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) and the Reuben family have increased their own shares.

BBC Radio Newcastle understands Staveley and Ghodoussi have now sold their remaining stake and will leave the club.

The pair have been instrumental in the day-to-day running of the club since the takeover, which gave PIF an 80% controlling stake in the Premier League club.

Staveley and Ghodoussi hired manager Eddie Howe in November 2021 to replace Steve Bruce and signed players such as Bruno Guimaraes and Kieran Trippier during their first transfer window in charge to help the club survive relegation.

Newcastle approach Palace over Guehi deal

Newcastle United have approached Crystal Palace over a deal for England centre-back Marc Guehi.

The 24-year-old played in six of England's seven games at Euro 2024 and was one of the tournament's standout performers.

Guehi established himself in a defensive partnership with John Stones and only missed the quarter-final win over Switzerland through suspension.

He has been monitored by several top Premier League clubs after excelling in 111 appearances for the Eagles since arriving from Chelsea in July 2021.

As first reported by the Athletic, external, Newcastle are the first club to enter formal discussions over the defender.

The Magpies are in the market for a centre-back and have been linked with Liverpool defender Joe Gomez, 27, this summer.

Guehi has two years remaining on his contract and Palace will be keen to avoid one of their prized assets from running down his deal.

The Eagles, who signed Guehi from the Blues after a successful loan spell with Championship side Swansea, have made a strategy of buying exciting young talent from the second tier.

They signed Eberechi Eze and Michael Olise from the division below, with the latter joining German giants Bayern Munich for around 60m euros (£50m) this summer.

BBC

Back