Nissar Trophy - why has it been discontinued?

Paradox

ODI Debutant
Runs
I know the Mumbai attacks happened weeks right after the most recent Nissar Trophy edition in 2008, but it was regardless a great gesture between the two countries anyway - with the winners of the Quaid Trophy facing the winners of India's Ranji Trophy.

The most recent Nissar Trophy was played in 2008 at the Feroz Shah Kotla in Delhi, between Sui Gas and Delhi. The match was a draw but Sui Gas won on basis of first innings lead. Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/indiandomestic2008/engine/match/368336.html

Interesting to see the international players playing in that lineup too - Hafeez (c), Umar Akmal, Misbah, Adnan Akmal (wk), Asad Ali from SNGPL's side and Aakash Chopra, Sehwag, Kohli, Ashish Nehra, Ishant Sharma from Delhi.

The trophy is still in Pakistan as no further editions of this have been played, but due to the rising positive relations between the BCCI and PCB they should surely look to continue this series every year.

Why it was named NIssar trophy may be after the expert Hassan Nissar :13:

^

Named after Mohammad Nissar who played for India and died as a Pakistani.

it should start again,

was very helpful in identifying domestic talent and giving them exposure.

I really like such tournaments. Instead of Champions League T20 I think they should make a First Class League of champions from all countries domestic competitions.

It was a good Idea, but certainly 1 match isnt enuff....

MAy be finalists of both Ranji trophy and Pakistan FC tournament (Presidents trophy finalists rather than Quaid trophy) should play a tournament of 3 mtches...

Match 1: Ranji Runner up vs Presidents trophy winner

Match 2: Ranji winner vs Presidents trophy runner up

Final : Winner match 1 vs Winner match 2

And if Pakistan cant have a deal with India on such a tournament, we can start such a tournament with any country apart from Zimbabwe and Bangla....

Last edited:
It was a good Idea, but certainly 1 match isnt enuff....

MAy be finalists of both Ranji trophy and Pakistan FC tournament (Presidents trophy finalists rather than Quaid trophy) should play a tournament of 3 mtches...

Match 1: Ranji Runner up vs Presidents trophy winner

Match 2: Ranji winner vs Presidents trophy runner up

Final : Winner match 1 vs Winner match 2

And if Pakistan cant have a deal with India on such a tournament, we can start such a tournament with any country apart from Zimbabwe and Bangla....

what use is this if both matches are won by teams from the same trophy, i.e. both matches are won by the ranji trophy teams or both are won by presidents trophy teams...

what use is this if both matches are won by teams from the same trophy, i.e. both matches are won by the ranji trophy teams or both are won by presidents trophy teams...

Doesnt matter, all teams have equal chance of winning the tournament............

This tournament should return. It's a great concept. Perhaps make it a 3 or 5 first class match series. It should also be televised.

I really like such tournaments. Instead of Champions League T20 I think they should make a First Class League of champions from all countries domestic competitions.

Don't think this would work so well, it would be difficult to sell worldwide, FC cricket is really only followed in India and this would probably have a following in Pakistan as well. Domestic cricket elsewhere is followed, but not as much as the subcontinent.

Last edited:
This should be revived. Imagine the interest in 4 day cricket between them. Highest viewership for a domestic match surely.

Back