Pakistan bowled out for 297 at Stumps on Day 1 of 2nd Test against New Zealand

Kiwis still only used 4 bowlers here. Can we force them to use a 5th?

Younus has brought positive attitude to the batting. I hope we will see a better Pak batting performance in the 2nd inning.

We are expecting way too much from Naseem here. I don't have much expectations from him. Shaheen and Abbas would be the ones to do magic here if we are to win.
Williamson and Taylor are technically very proficient to negotiate our bowling attack though.

Not expecting Naseem to run through NZD. But do expect him to have a coherent plan and execute it reasonably.

I said during session 1 of the first Test that Rizwan, as captain and keeper, will need to time his move up to the stumps when Abbas bowls. This pitch has more bounce but Rizwan will have to make that decision pretty soon.

Taylor is OK. Williamson, in my opinion, has the best technique out of the Top 10 to bat in seaming and swinging conditions. Don’t think Amir got him even once in 2016 - shape into RHB was easy to negotiate. We saw how he played us in the First Test. Would say surprise bounce is the way, but let’s see.

Fahim need to attack, i like this approach why play against your nature cricket. If you are aggressive batsmen must play like it.

Pakistan must aim for 300 here. Will depend on Azhar here how big inning he plays.

I am extremely impressed by Rizwan and Azhar Ali, they have done exactly what was needed from them. The showed some spine, and both played excellent innings.

Excellent session for Pakistan against a moving ball.

Azhar proves his worth overseas YET AGAIN, despite being unpopular with many PPers.

Rizan & Faheem doing the right thing- taking lessons from last match to keep the scoreboard ticking instead of waiting like a sitting duck.

Either side can own the day with a strong last session now. Ball won't stop moving for 2 days I think.

Yup, just checking ;)

Could also be Rizwan. His character is, to put politely, opposite of Misbah’s. Sample size is small but quickly growing.

But I doubt Rizwan would be having this much of a say in his just second test as captain that too as a stand in.

Rizwan is just class, i eat a humble pie everytime i see him perform. He has proved me so wrong, what a turnaround since his comeback in England series.

Younus has brought positive attitude to the batting. I hope we will see a better Pak batting performance in the 2nd inning.

Think YK has merely asked them to play their game and not get bogged down. A lower order that gets bogged down, especially in conditions where sooner or later one will have your name on it, is pointless. This is because if the top order has already fallen trying to defend, the lower order may as well try and put some runs on the board.

We’re too harsh on this team man. This tour has been one from hell with the crazy quarantine to begin with, then Babar ruled out and then preparations massively hampered for playing in some of the most alien conditions. Yet, the players have still stood up in parts and shown fight. Incredible knocks from Rizwan and Azhar today. Come on Azhar, big ton here - one for the ages!

Not expecting Naseem to run through NZD. But do expect him to have a coherent plan and execute it reasonably.

I said during session 1 of the first Test that Rizwan, as captain and keeper, will need to time his move up to the stumps when Abbas bowls. This pitch has more bounce but Rizwan will have to make that decision pretty soon.

Taylor is OK. Williamson, in my opinion, has the best technique out of the Top 10 to bat in seaming and swinging conditions. Don’t think Amir got him even once in 2016 - shape into RHB was easy to negotiate. We saw how he played us in the First Test. Would say surprise bounce is the way, but let’s see.

For williamson i would go with zafar gohar and surprise him with that.

Alot will depend on Shaheen and Fahim here, i think this test match fahim will surprise us with ball as well.

Naseem need to bowl like henry must learn from him.

I am worried about our bowlers having a plan apart from the first 20 overs. Waqar's philosophy has always been to go for the stumps and hope the batter will miss one eventually.

24 overs left before the new ball. I hope we make the most out of this ball and play at least 80 overs. Even 280 would be awesome on this pitch in the first inning. This pitch is supposed to ease out in the last few days of the test.

Rizwan is just class, i eat a humble pie everytime i see him perform. He has proved me so wrong, what a turnaround since his comeback in England series.

He was class act before it was media hyping Sarfraz all the time, Rizwan still came late in the team, he should have played as a batsmen to begin with.

He will be the Captain soon.

But I doubt Rizwan would be having this much of a say in his just second test as captain that too as a stand in.

I know. I try not to talk up YK too much given my very transparent username.

It’s good to see hardworkers and honest workers like Fawad and Azhar performing. They don’t have all their careers in front of them but would be good if they phase out over the next two years while helping phase in new players. But they cannot be liabilities throughout so they need to phase out while performing.

That is a million dollar question no doubt. I believe that Abbas will be far more effective on this strip and could do the most damage. I am more worried about the 2nd free rider Shah. How would he bowl. He was atrocious in the first test trying to bowl full and ending up over pitching outside off most of the time. I was furious.

But we don't really have another pacer in the squad apart from Naseem for the third pacer slot. Sohail Khan is only first 7 over spell and then nothing.

Lol @ that NZ commentator. Ball going down leg side and he's like "That ball wasn't far from the leg stump...."

For williamson i would go with zafar gohar and surprise him with that.

Alot will depend on Shaheen and Fahim here, i think this test match fahim will surprise us with ball as well.

Naseem need to bowl like henry must learn from him.

Say if their first wicket falls in the first over, would you still want to open the bowling on this strip with Zafar? :O

Azhar locked into one side while rizwan shaped the momentum of the game. Captain tactics at play. Fearless

I am worried about our bowlers having a plan apart from the first 20 overs. Waqar's philosophy has always been to go for the stumps and hope the batter will miss one eventually.

Mental gymnastics were not WY’s forte ever. Let’s hope his absence allows the bowlers and Rizwan to exercise common sense.

When does his contract end, anyway?

If he gets his hundred, this’ll be Azhar’s best hundred in career - potentially has given bowlers a chance to win this Test.

If he gets his hundred, this’ll be Azhar’s best hundred in career - potentially has given bowlers a chance to win this Test.

Even if we post 300+ here, I still think our bowlers will concede 500+.

Mental gymnastics were not WY’s forte ever. Let’s hope his absence allows the bowlers and Rizwan to exercise common sense.

When does his contract end, anyway?

Don't know but I guess his contract has the same duration as Misbah's.

But we don't really have another pacer in the squad apart from Naseem for the third pacer slot. Sohail Khan is only first 7 over spell and then nothing.

Besides Abbas and Afridi, we have no 3rd pacer. Fortunately we have faheem there. Afridi and Abbas will be the first 2 followed by Faheem. Let see how Gohan bowls. I have high hopes after finally the free rider Shah is out

No joke, I am genuinely nervous about this. This is a hard square and a pitch where runs will come if the batting side can pick the deliveries to attack and can play horizontal bat shots well.

Will be interesting to see how Rizwan tries to strike the balance between RR and wickets. Hoping Zafar is a real turner of the ball. Williamson got out to legspin a few times inCWC19 and while it is not the same thing, the ball turning away may just do something. Let’s see.

But Rizwan cannot stay back to Abbas too long. Has to trust his ability to come up to bring LBW into play even if it means possibly dropping an edge he could catch from afar.

Sohail khan reminds of aizaz cheema, even he was a better bowler than him.

Cheema was picked too late, otherwise he was twice the bowler Sohail has ever been.

I wish we had Junaid instead of Sohail here. Atleast he can bowl long spells and on tracks like this can get good seam movement.

Excellent session for Pakistan against a moving ball.

Azhar proves his worth overseas YET AGAIN, despite being unpopular with many PPers.

Rizan & Faheem doing the right thing- taking lessons from last match to keep the scoreboard ticking instead of waiting like a sitting duck.

Either side can own the day with a strong last session now. Ball won't stop moving for 2 days I think.

If Pakistan can put near 300 then they will be in a strong position to take control of this test.

Besides Abbas and Afridi, we have no 3rd pacer. Fortunately we have faheem there. Afridi and Abbas will be the first 2 followed by Faheem. Let see how Gohan bowls. I have high hopes after finally the free rider Shah is out

Hassan Ali looks in supreme form back in QEA.

It's amazing how much of a difference can intent make. The way we played our first innings in the first test was baffling!

So refreshing, and tbh quite shocking, how we've been aggressive and looking for runs. Never expected this from Pak

Think YK has merely asked them to play their game and not get bogged down. A lower order that gets bogged down, especially in conditions where sooner or later one will have your name on it, is pointless. This is because if the top order has already fallen trying to defend, the lower order may as well try and put some runs on the board.
Right. Our middle order traditionally tries to save our behind anyway. I am happy to see that lower order is trying to stick around.

You have to bowl really bad to allow 500+ here. The ball will be moving even on 2nd day here.300+ should be a very good score here.

No joke, I am genuinely nervous about this. This is a hard square and a pitch where runs will come if the batting side can pick the deliveries to attack and can play horizontal bat shots well.

Will be interesting to see how Rizwan tries to strike the balance between RR and wickets. Hoping Zafar is a real turner of the ball. Williamson got out to legspin a few times inCWC19 and while it is not the same thing, the ball turning away may just do something. Let’s see.

But Rizwan cannot stay back to Abbas too long. Has to trust his ability to come up to bring LBW into play even if it means possibly dropping an edge he could catch from afar.

Yep. Let's hope bowling clicks.

It's amazing how much of a difference can intent make. The way we played our first innings in the first test was baffling!

So refreshing, and tbh quite shocking, how we've been aggressive and looking for runs. Never expected this from Pak

It makes it nice to watch as well. You can't watch low-quality cricket. Win or loss is a different issue, but playing good cricket makes it good to watch even for home fans.

You have to bowl really bad to allow 500+ here. The ball will be moving even on 2nd day here.300+ should be a very good score here.

I would say one has field* really bad to allow 500+. And this is PAK team.

Honestly with some duds in our top order we cant expect to win here. But there have been some positives in this series. Faheem stepping up nd Yasir getting dropped. Rizwan has silenced the doubters as well

If Pakistan can put near 300 then they will be in a strong position to take control of this test.

If it were any other team, I would have agreed with you. But we need to add another 100 or 150 runs cushion with Pak, given our horrendous fielding.

Hassan Ali looks in supreme form back in QEA.

Hasan is a trier. He can certainly bowl better than baby shah on this track. I hope hasan is a more mature man after marriage. I don't follow cricket as much as I used to. Pak domestic structure is atrocious to say the least.

Honestly with some duds in our top order we cant expect to win here. But there have been some positives in this series. Faheem stepping up nd Yasir getting dropped. Rizwan has silenced the doubters as well

Fawad Alam's Century. . .

The ball Fawad lost his wicket was unplayable - unplayable no matter what standards of cricket you play

Looks like Faheem might find a new bat sponsor sooner than Haris Sohail.

It makes it nice to watch as well. You can't watch low-quality cricket. Win or loss is a different issue, but playing good cricket makes it good to watch even for home fans.

Totally agree! It's just so surprising to me how Pakistan hasn't figured out that this is the way to go, especially in conditions like those in NZ. On tough conditions, getting bogged down is asking for trouble.

Yousuf is another person who undeachived. Oathgate, incessant petty posturing, captaincy c**p. The guy damaged his own career beyond repair.

Totally agree! It's just so surprising to me how Pakistan hasn't figured out that this is the way to go, especially in conditions like those in NZ. On tough conditions, getting bogged down is asking for trouble.

That why... We should have at least 3 matches series...

Looks like Faheem might find a new bat sponsor sooner than Haris Sohail.

Notice how he’s letting the ball come to him a lot more? Instead of going lumberjack like hacks in front of his body. Guessing this is MoYo’s work. Hope it pays dividends well.

Good partnership here. Adding 30-40 more runs will take it closer to 300 runs.

Such positive cricket. The biggest difference I see under Younus coaching is running between wickets. The rotation of strike is the most important part of test cricket. Pak batting used to be lazy in test cricket barring a few batsmen. This is Younus style cricket.

Cheema was picked too late, otherwise he was twice the bowler Sohail has ever been.

I wish we had Junaid instead of Sohail here. Atleast he can bowl long spells and on tracks like this can get good seam movement.

Sohail khan was picked late too... it’s just a Pakistani thing either to catch them young or let them hang till they rot ..

I consider Tendulkar as the post Viv Era great and even he could only fend it.

Pretty simple formula. Bounce, seam movement (inward jago), rises off a good length and has pace. Not sure what was expected of the guy.

Such positive cricket. The biggest difference I see under Younus coaching is running between wickets. The rotation of strike is the most important part of test cricket. Pak batting used to be lazy in test cricket barring a few batsmen. This is Younus style cricket.

This is true. Even the short video PCB released just a few days ago had YK repeating his mantra of dropping and running, nudging and running.

Pakistan have been very lucky with the edges and guides to third man and the no of plays, misses, lucky leaves from some unplayable Jamison deliveries

NZ was also very lucky in the first test with edges, drops, and missing shots. It is all part of cricket and this is a.much more difficult wicket

Pakistan have been very lucky with the edges and guides to third man and the no of plays, misses, lucky leaves from some unplayable Jamison deliveries

Yup, on another day would have been 150 all out. On another day still, even less chances could have gone to hand. Important now to capitalise as best as possible on this.

Didn’t need to play at it was just wide enough and high enough but still. Good innings. Lower order needs to add another 50 more at least.

Back