Pakistan bowled out for 297 at Stumps on Day 1 of 2nd Test against New Zealand

Shoot Azhar gone. Well played, certainly didn't expect this kinda innings from him. Keep it going Rana saab.

For such an experienced batsman and someone who has played so many overseas tests and is now on his 5th tour to NZ, I find it pathetic that Azhar played away from his body outside the offstump knowing the ball is swinging and seaming around. This just sums up our so called senior experienced players

You gota play your shots on this pitch to get anywer. Now Faheem shud play positive. Last thing we need is pak getting bundled for 250

I know Zafar can bat but don't really know what to expect from him today.

So unfortunate-!could have been his best hundred. Still has set a platform- at least PAK won’t loose this game on Day 1. But, I think we all misjudged this wicket - it has very good carry & pace, batsmen will gets value for the shots. Kiwis will also score quickly here, but for how long that’ll decide the game. Yasir could have been real handy here on day 4-5.

I like what I see from Gohar already. He looks like a batsman. Even if he gets out, he is an automatic upgrade over useless Shah overseas

So unfortunate-!could have been his best hundred. Still has set a platform- at least PAK won’t loose this game on Day 1. But, I think we all misjudged this wicket - it has very good carry & pace, batsmen will gets value for the shots. Kiwis will also score quickly here, but for how long that’ll decide the game. Yasir could have been real handy here on day 4-5.

Under these conditions Pak dont have the batting to take this game deep into day 5

Even if we post 300+ here, I still think our bowlers will concede 500+.

That could be, but still PAK won’t loose this game on first innings. Imagine PAK scoring 159, Kiwis 250... and PAK again 150 ....

We need to score 280-300 here need Zafar support here i hope he is better than Yasir Shah. His Batting stats in first class is better than Yasir but still average of 21

Under these conditions Pak dont have the batting to take this game deep into day 5

They did in last game, but that was more like English slow seemer, this one is faster. And, it’ll get faster on day two if sun is burning the deck - you will see some cracks on day four.

Really hope Zafar gets some score here. With a new selector coming in it’s guys like Zafar who are most at risk of being discarded after being given a one off test in unfamiliar conditions.

You just have to get a glimpse sometimes to differentiate batsmen. Zafar looks like a batsman unlike airy fairy shah

Next 17 matches is in Pakistan, WI, Bang and SL. England and this innings was so cruical for him to play 100 tests :))

Yasir could not do anything against Bangladesh on Pak pitches not too long ago. He is just done as a spinner and his batting is really pathetic to say the least.

One thing Azhar did today and I believe Kiwis will also do that is he has left lots of balls on length for the bounce of the track. Best medicine for that is McGrath length & keeping it tight - ball will hit bails if it’s on line. Abbas might be more threatening here than last Test.

Yasir could not do anything against Bangladesh on Pak pitches not too long ago. He is just done as a spinner and his batting is really pathetic to say the least.

Bangladesh plays spin better than Kiwis in slow wickets here batsmen can defend on front foot - same Yasir took 8 in a session against same Kiwis, therefore one off examples are a bit misleading. Also, PAK wickets are not for leg spin, slow, dead turners - here he could have bounce and there will be cracks on the track.

Next 17 matches is in Pakistan, WI, Bang and SL. England and this innings was so cruical for him to play 100 tests :))

Agree he is not going anywhere specially our next year schedule allows him to get through this phase and end of next year he'll around 90 tests.

He deserves to play 100 Test. One of the cleanest PAK cricketer, an honest trier and a very humble guy - that doesn’t mean he is soft. Apart from Junaids, I haven’t seen any PAK fan having any grudge against him.

Gohar, technically looks like a proper batsmen. Probably could pull off being a decent allrounder.

Zafar has a lot of potential with the bat. His technique is much better than the pseudo all rounders we’ve tried in Nawaz and Shadab. The guy is a fighter and I expect him to raise his game at Test level.

Bangladesh plays spin better than Kiwis in slow wickets here batsmen can defend on front foot - same Yasir took 8 in a session against same Kiwis, therefore one off examples are a bit misleading. Also, PAK wickets are not for leg spin, slow, dead turners - here he could have bounce and there will be cracks on the track.
it's not just one innings. He has been awful for last three years. He is just not good enough anymore.

Zafar has a lot of potential with the bat. His technique is much better than the pseudo all rounders we’ve tried in Nawaz and Shadab. The guy is a fighter and I expect him to raise his game at Test level.

Shadab has amazingly displayed good technique for test cricket. The guy seems to know where his off stump is and picks the right balls to hit boundaries

Career changing tour, this for Faheem. It's the shots by which he's got the runs that has been pleasantly surprising.

Hopefully Rana sa’ab gets his 100 today. Wisden team of the year beckons....

Most Scores in the 90s for Pakistan

10 Inzamam-ul-Haq
6 AZHAR ALI*
6 Misbah-ul-Haq
5 Javed Miandad & Majid Khan

One has to look at how Zafar played 3rd ball of this Jamieson's over with soft hands to judge him. He is talented!

Pakistan's day regardless of what happens from here.

Should have really done better with the conditions we had, but credit where due Pakistan batted really well.

Shadab is trash lol. Should be nowhere the Test team.
I disagree. As a batsman he has made a few clever changes to his technique which means he thinks about his game. Given he has the raw ingredients for a spinner, he needs to learn the art of setting up a batsman. In subcontinent conditions, him and zafar can vie for the allrounder slot if needed.

Faheem is a good addition if not great....said it for long time we need him in SENA conditions

Pakistan's day regardless of what happens from here.

Should have really done better with the conditions we had, but credit where due Pakistan batted really well.

You reckon there is a bit of reliance on Wagner? The way he keeps coming at the batsmen, must be very important to take the pressure off others in the attack

it's not just one innings. He has been awful for last three years. He is just not good enough anymore.

That could be true - he is definitely not someone taking 200 wickets in 35 Tests with a 5for in alternate Test - that’s almost Bradmanisque.

But, it’s about relativity - on such tracks leggis does better than finger spinners. This is also one myth I heard only from Junaids and immediately my confusion was clear - whatever he tells about spinners, I take opposite and it works most times.

Gohar can do well as he will be bowling 4th here and he’ll add batting depth, but if the two Tests, I would have played Gohar in last wicket & Yasir in this one.

Faheem is a good addition if not great....said it for long time we need him in SENA conditions

I have always maintained that we need him. People bash him for no reason. He is a good 3rd bowling option while we have none on the bench and also a decent batsman. Bash him when there are better options available

That could be true - he is definitely not someone taking 200 wickets in 35 Tests with a 5for in alternate Test - that’s almost Bradmanisque.

But, it’s about relativity - on such tracks leggis does better than finger spinners. This is also one myth I heard only from Junaids and immediately my confusion was clear - whatever he tells about spinners, I take opposite and it works most times.

Gohar can do well as he will be bowling 4th here and he’ll add batting depth, but if the two Tests, I would have played Gohar in last wicket & Yasir in this one.

I would have thought a leggie would only do well if they are able to extract/use bounce on this surface. Yasir is not tall and don’t think he uses a lot of overspin. Why do you think zafar may do worse? He looks taller than Yasir

I disagree. As a batsman he has made a few clever changes to his technique which means he thinks about his game. Given he has the raw ingredients for a spinner, he needs to learn the art of setting up a batsman. In subcontinent conditions, him and zafar can vie for the allrounder slot if needed.
Zafar is infinite times better.

The way the ball is moving around not sure how long they will last with the new ball which is due in a few overs. Good time to be a bit aggressive and get some quick runs.

Even their fifth bowler is faster than our so called strike bowler Abbas, never imagined i will live to see this day, country of imran, waqar wasim and Akhtar. Alas!

Zafar is infinite times better.
I hope he is. I am not comparing the two, just saying that there is potential in shadab and he can develop/enhance his utility for the team. A wrist spinner is always going to be a valuable commodity

I would have thought a leggie would only do well if they are able to extract/use bounce on this surface. Yasir is not tall and don’t think he uses a lot of overspin. Why do you think zafar may do worse? He looks taller than Yasir

Kiwi wickets don’t grip, without that SLAO spinner can’t trouble batsmen and these smaller grounds are not suitable for flight. Also, Yasir can use foot mark and in between use flippers to extract lbw, if Gohar tries to use footmark, he is taking out lbw. There is a reason Jadeja has probably worst record in NZ. But, here he’ll get runs to bowl with, different ball game.

I hope he is. I am not comparing the two, just saying that there is potential in shadab and he can develop/enhance his utility for the team. A wrist spinner is always going to be a valuable commodity
Yasir Shah is a wrist spinner bro

Back