Pakistan Charity Match - Oval - 10th July 2006 (merged)

lutonbadboy said:
Wow Afridi cained it 41 of 11 balls..........how many sixes

I think 5 SIXES
2 FOUR
and only singels of Akram he showed respect :91:

Afridi all the way.........wow 41 runs of 11 balls that is actually much more better then Dhoni the show pony

I think it was very funny when he only took singels of Akram and didn't heave him at all :p

5 SIXES
2 FOURS
3 Singels of Akram :D

Last edited:
Afridi hit a 6 first ball, then 4, then 6, then 6.

He was 22 of 4 balls at one stage! Think he hit 5 sixes in all in his 11 ball stay. A SIX ever two balls or so!

What a game! It would've been awsome to see it live but radio was great too.

Saqib said:
I think it was very funny when he only took singels of Akram and didn't heave him at all :p

5 SIXES
2 FOURS
3 Singels of Akram :D

It would need a Pakistani to tame the BEAST!!

Easatheman said:
Afridi hit a 6 first ball, then 4, then 6, then 6.

He was 22 of 4 balls at one stage! Think he hit 5 sixes in all in his 11 ball stay. A SIX ever two balls or so!

Only a beast like him can do stuff like this...No one can come close to what he is in terms of hitting....Go Beast Go

Afridi_Fan said:
Only a beast like him can do stuff like this...No one can come close to what he is in terms of hitting....Go Beast Go

Gerard Brophy was on 42 from 11 earlier tonight ;)

Oh my god!!! What a match!! And I can't believe I couldnt watch this one!! This one should not have been missed!!

The Beast has just sent out a punishing message to the rest of the world. What an amazingly destructive innings. Word has it, that The Oval had to be evacuated soon after his innings finished. It just wasn't safe for anyone to be anywhere near him then!!

yes, Afridi hit 5sixes and 2fours.3sixes and a four off zaheer only 4balls that he faced.and 2sixes of styris and a 4on Ajju i think.

that was such a good game.. everyone was making noise when afridi walked in and at
one point when he was ripping the bowlers apart i saw even some indian fans clapping
for him : ) .. wicked game and big up inzi too he played a top innings aswell..

UsmanCHADDA said:
Wow it was very dark at the Brit Oval or is it just the photos?
Yeah, it was quite cloudy at the Oval. Luckily the rain stopped for good at around 6.30 pm! I was in the top row of the Pavillion Stand- brilliant view of the game. Had the two pavillions on either side of the stand...Got to see Imran Farhat, Salman Butt and Dhoni!

Man, Afridi was just unbelieveable- 22 runs off his first four balls! The crowd were going totally wild. I wonder how our fellow Indian friends felt after that trashing? :D

Last few overs was very tense...Inzamam proved that he was a great captain by playing a crucial knock that guided Pakistan to victory. Hit a four off the last ball! Brilliant game! :14:

It was a very entertaining match and I'm glad I went.

Excellent innings from Afridi, who set the Oval on fire and Inzi also contributed very well and guided us home in the last over.

£250K raised from this match for charity. :14:

Last edited:

^^ pic of the crowd when afridi hit one of his sixes in the 1st 4 balls...

^^ pic of view from where i was sitting.. datz afridi fielding infront of us... i got
more pix but cant b asked 2 download them all now !!

HAFRIDI said:
Post the best ones toony, make a thread ; )

i will just bought the damn camera.

had option of panoramic view...no idea how to use it yet. would of been wicked.

will need to do bit of editing... with the camera software will post a bunch.

Last edited:
^ lol yeah... u wer probz sitting with the " we 8 india " lot ?? lol as in u see that pak
with the beard who had " we 8 india " on the back of his cricket shirt ?

That was a very enjoyable day.

Arriving at the ground and seeing the covers on I honestly did not expect there to be any cricket but a 10 over bash was perfect really.

Got to see Afridi completely upstage Sachin and Dhoni and got to see Inzi smashing the winning runs.

The crowd was great with a lot of Indians...including a man next to me who kept screaming like a little girl. I mean if you want to chant then that's great, if you want to shout then that's great.....but DO NOT scream like a little girl when you are a middle aged man. He shut up after the Afridi knock though.

Outside the ground there was a bit of 'goading' towards any Indian who walked past and the Pakistani fans had grouped together with someone playing the tabla and a few people doing the bhangra. It felt like Lahore!

From a personal point of view it was the perfect warm up for Thursday (I have a ticket for day 1!). I really cannot wait!

thursday is gna be sikk.. afridi has to be selected now... to bad u cant bring flags and horns 2 lords!!

Hash said:

Arriving at the ground and seeing the covers on I honestly did not expect there to be any cricket but a 10 over bash was perfect really.

Got to see Afridi completely upstage Sachin and Dhoni and got to see Inzi smashing the winning runs.

The crowd was great with a lot of Indians...including a man next to me who kept screaming like a little girl. I mean if you want to chant then that's great, if you want to shout then that's great.....but DO NOT scream like a little girl when you are a middle aged man. He shut up after the Afridi knock though.

Outside the ground there was a bit of 'goading' towards any Indian who walked past and the Pakistani fans had grouped together with someone playing the tabla and a few people doing the bhangra. It felt like Lahore!

From a personal point of view it was the perfect warm up for Thursday (I have a ticket for day 1!). I really cannot wait!

yeah i was thereee

police done well to allow it n control the situation

can't wait til Lordz, im sittin in the members section !! have to wear a tie lol!

Hash said:

nice review hash

i cant wait for the tests !! bring em on!

Great reviews guys, WHAT AN INNINGS!!!

I didn't make it unfortunately, bah! Anyway, BRING ON THE TESTS. Afridi is a stunning species, his ferocity is mindblowing. There is no other hitter like him EVER in the world of cricket. That's fact.

ah dam DM..did u not get any ticket outside the ground or didnt make the trip

UNLEASH THE BEAST!

Last edited:
Couldn't make it bro, but as opposed to being disappointed, I am eternally grateful for not making the trip, for I would have likely had heart attacks in all 4 chambers had I witnessed the genocide

DM said:
Couldn't make it bro, but as opposed to being disappointed, I am eternally grateful for not making the trip, for I would have likely had heart attacks in all 4 chambers had I witnessed the genocide

:))) :))) :)))

I was ONLY listening to radio comm and i was struggling to breathe, an even the commies were wetting themsleves with excitement...

iv almost lost my voice what a game, the indians couldnt stop jumping up when dhoni was in but then Afridi shut them up, Afridi hit a beastly 6 in block 5.

respect to the brother with:
we
India
il be getting something similar like that on my Pakistan shirt

the indians at the back of block 5 shut up and went home early when Inzi hit a 6

Last edited:
Many Indians in the 90s complained that Tendulkar had a lack of support. Looks like even when he has the worlds best by his side it does not make a difference!

Nce to hear that some of the guys were present at the Brit Oval. Wish I would have been there aswell :(

From CricInfo report

The unlucky victim was Zaheer Khan who, bowling in near darkness, was hit for three sixes and a four in typically violent manner

and also:

Of course, it was just a charity match; of course ,the bowlers' weren't stretching themselves; and of course, it didn't even matter to the eventual result. When you have a monster-hitter like Afridi in your ranks, why sweat over minor trifles like your pace-bowling attack?

Amir said:
Many Indians in the 90s complained that Tendulkar had a lack of support. Looks like even when he has the worlds best by his side it does not make a difference!

Thats true, Wasim said to the media, when they was playing a Asia 11 vs the rest of the world 11, that evrey single player from the Asian team expected Sachin to score a 100 in these games!.

Afridi played the most BRUTAL innings. 6-4-6-6, first four balls!

BRING ON LORDS... UNLEASH THE BEAST!

It was an excellent game! Although I had to hear "Sachin, Sachin, Dhoni , Dhoni" for about an hour and contend with little P@k! "innit" rude boys!

Good to see Waqar pull his boots on. Even though he was probably bowling in the 70mph region, there's no fast bolwing action better than his!

Quite funny to see Azhar Mahmood and Mo Akram bowl against Afridi and co!

But what can I say about Afridi's innings! The first four hits had the entire ground on their feet! A Charity game, but little charity for Zaheer! His first ball

It went down to the wire too, so it was a perfect game really.

Had to walk and bus it to Elephant & Castle just to get on the tube , but it was worth it!

an abosulutey awesome game

so glad that we hung around - at 6:15 i never thought we'd have a game on.

Frankly we were cheering and chanting everybody (yes even Dhoni!)

it was fantastic to see that Waqar had teh pak team shirt on and opening the bowling -infact his 1st over wasnt bad at all!

Obvious highlight was the Afridi show - but Inzi turned it on just in time - fantastic!

basically the match didnt dissappoint - the only problem was the weather reducing the enjoyment - but what enjoyment it was!

Just got back from London after yesterdays game.

Arrived in London at 3pm - and made my way to the Oval on foot. Arrived at 4pm, and the crowd was building. Was surprised by the number of Indian shirts display (No Nike ones btw). Felt at ease with thousands of Pak shirts litttering the streets outside the Oval ground - no one was going inside until they had soaked up the atmosphere.

At about 4.30pm, the heavens opened - and first drizzle, then downpour!!! And it continued for a solid 90 mins.

By then, my mate had arrived, and we took our (wet) seats in Block 12 - a fantastic view right behind the bowlers arm! All we needed was some cricket. I was convinced we would get a game - there would be riots if we were sent home 'empty-handed'...and no refund to ease the pain!

When play started and we realised that it was Waqar marking out his run-out, that was an extra bonus - I had never thought I would watch him Live again - but for 2 overs, it was happening. As Lara and Tendulkar piled on the runs, I remarked to my mate 'Let Tendy score the runs - it usually results in defeat'!

Although impressed with ROW inngs, I thought of what was possible when our boys donned their pads......

My first thought upon seeing Imran Farhat opening was that Pak werent bothered in reaching the 124 runs required.....but that all changed when he got out.

In strode Afridi - and went about a demolition job that only he seems capable of. My mate and I then proceeded to spend the rest of the game laying into Dhoni - we shouted and jeered at him...asked him 'watch and learn'..called him 'Dhoni Kebab' etc and in the mean time Afridi, Malik and Inzi set about chasing that improbabale target.

Surrounded in our block by some 'intellectually challenged' fans - I was giving a 'balls-left/run-remaining' break down - the Oval authorities were very poor in this respect - they gave virtually ZERO information prior to and during the game....

As you know - we went on to win it.

Sure it was merely an exhibition game, but tell that to the 23,000 fans that packed into the Oval.

And credit to Pak fans for their behaviour!

On the way out, I tapped EVERY Indian shirt wearing fan, and said 'unlucky mate - next time' - and that continued until we reach our final destination via tube.

A good day out - a fantastic atmosphere - a great result - and most importantly, a quarter of a million pounds raised for the Earthquake appeal.....

Last edited:
Regarding the atmosphere, it was different to other games I have been to. Firstly, there a few more Pak families there thatn normal, and a lot of 'newbies' possibly attending their first ever LIVE cricket match.

Also, despite the rain from 4-6pm, there was noticeable 'buzz' - the noise level never dipped.

Deep down, we all knew it was a 'friendly game' - and exhibition - but once it started, the fans only know one way to treat such spectacles - and that is SERIOUSLY.

If I am honest, it was reminiscent of the Pak v Ind class in the ICC Trophy 2004 at Edgbaston. (but condensed into 90 mins of action-packed tension).

I worried when Afridi came out - huge expectancy on his shoulders to deliver in BEAST style - and when Dhonni and Tendulkar were getting quick runs, I thought ' How will you top that Shahid?' - but was it ever in doubt?

Will never forget the fact that we got see the man in the number 75 shirt running in Pak colours again.... :O

was it really waqar ... it was like a dream :O

Who ever thought up that idea needs to be given a medal... :14:

Salman said:
Will never forget the fact that we got see the man in the number 75 shirt running in Pak colours again.... :O

was it really waqar ... it was like a dream :O

Who ever thought up that idea needs to be given a medal... :14:

Was impressed with Waqar - looked in great shape - fighting fit.

Oxy™ said:
Was impressed with Waqar - looked in great shape - fighting fit.

His 1st over was decent, with only 5 runs coming from it.

He got hit a bit in his 2nd over.

But seeing Waqar bowling again was a huge surprise and I was glad to get a glimpse of this great player running in to bowl once more.

imagine this, if the injuries continue at this very rate, i think waqar younis has a great chance of playing a test match in england :D just a thought............

cavin420 said:
imagine this, if the injuries continue at this very rate, i think waqar younis has a great chance of playing a test match in england :D just a thought............

Best not to think like that......exhibition games arefine...Test matches..no way!

I remember seeing him bowl in 20/20 about 2 years ago I think and he was struggling to touch 80mph. How was his pace the other day?

Great reviews Hash, Oxy and others.

Did any of Afridi's sixes come near you?

yeh, one Afridi 6 was hit in block 4 about 150 or 20 rows back only agood 15 metes from were i was sitting, that six shut the indians up

Raz said:
Great reviews Hash, Oxy and others.

Did any of Afridi's sixes come near you?
Lots of straight driven boundaries came my way - Chris Cairns having to crawl under the covers to retrieve one of them was within touching distance!

btw, i cudnt enjoy this match because i had a 20:20 game for my club yesterday, i really wud have loved to come!

Rana said:
btw, i cudnt enjoy this match because i had a 20:20 game for my club yesterday, i really wud have loved to come!
You have to make sacrifices ...

was there a speed gun there? if yes then wats waqars average speed??

Rana said:
was there a speed gun there? if yes then wats waqars average speed??

Yeah he was bowling at 93 or 94 mph most deliveries

Back