Pakistan v Sri Lanka | 2nd Test | Karachi | 19th-23rd December, 2019 | Day 1 Thread

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
After the truncated first Test between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in Rawalpindi, expectations are high ahead of the second Test, with forecasts pointing to improved weather conditions in Karachi from Thursday, 19 December.

Pakistan v Sri Lanka
2nd Test
Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium
19-23 December; 10.00am local, 5.00am GMT

The much-anticipated return of Test cricket in Pakistan – the Rawalpindi Test was the first in the country in over a decade – ended tamely, with only 167 overs of play possible across five days due to rain and bad light.

Despite that, in the little play that was possible, there were three unbeaten centuries, eight wickets, and all-round good entertainment for the home fans in what was a good contest.

For Pakistan particularly, the centuries from debutant Abid Ali and Babar Azam, the No.9-ranked batsman in the MRF Tyres ICC Test Player Rankings, is cause for optimism, particularly given the form of Azhar Ali, their captain. In 12 Test innings, Azhar hasn't scored a half-century, and it is a sequence of scores he'll be desperate to change.

Sri Lanka, meanwhile, will be without Kasun Rajitha, who sustained a left hamstring strain in Rawalpindi. Asitha Fernando, the 22-year-old quick, who was called up to the side as replacement for the injured Suranga Lakmal, is in line to make his Test debut, should the management opt to continue with a three-man pace attack.

Remember the last time

In Rawalpindi, Sri Lanka skipper Dimuth Karunaratne and Oshada Fernando gave the visitors a good start. But their middle-order batsmen Kusal Mendis and Dinesh Chandimal were dismissed cheaply, before Dhananjaya de Silva helped revive the innings. Rain dominated most of the remainder of the Test. De Silva managed to reach his century on the final day, and helped Sri Lanka push their total past the 300-mark before declaring.

Pakistan lost their opener Shan Masood for nought in their first innings, and captain Azhar followed suit for 36. Abid (109*) and Babar (102*) then steadied the innings, putting on an unbeaten partnership of 162. They helped push Pakistan's total to 252/2 before rain forced early stumps on the final day.

What they said

Azhar Ali, Pakistan captain: "I was feeling confident, looked good, and got out. It's never good to be in that situation. I got some confidence, hopefully I can build on it in the next game."

Dimuth Karunaratne, Sri Lankan captain: "The batters did well, and unfortunately couple of days got washed out. We have some positives, want to learn from our mistakes and move on. We need to look at the positives and see how it goes in Karachi. Hopefully, it won't rain."

Conditions

Forecast is for sunny skies in Karachi. The last Test played at the Karachi National Stadium was also between Sri Lanka and Pakistan, in February 2009, and at the time, it was a batting paradise; Sri Lanka scored 644/7 declared in their first innings, only to see Pakistan respond with 765/6 declared.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1537060

Has anyone noticed that the bat Shan Masood uses looks smaller in width as compared to other bats!

This annoys me so much, with shan not performing. Fawad should be included. How much more longer does he have to wait. Until.he's 40!

Poor Fawad, should've gotten a game in his home ground

Last chance for Shan today. Go big or go home pal.

Fawad should retire. He doesn't deserve to be humiliated again and again

Very good toss to win for PAK - now, openers must not spoil it in first session. NSK is PAK's real fortress - was unbeaten here for almost 50 years, then lost 2 Test in last decade. I think, this game will be decided by one big first innings - whichever side can do that. At this point PAK starts as firm favorite with the toss win.

I have a little sweet memory of Karachi as my mom was born there.........

Yea this is just humiliating

Misbah is a piece of excrement.

He only selected him to get some media pressure off his back but will keep selecting parchis.

Even Abid Ali got due to immense pressure and has only kept his place due to debut century otherwise if it was sub 40 debuts score Imam would be back

He shouldn't have been called at all - it was a knee jerk reaction just to chill some aggressive reaction after the AUS tour. There is absolutely no benefit playing him - he would have scored plenty here against SRL or may against BD in next Series wherever it's played; but few others can do that as well and it won't have earned PCT a single penny in UK 8 months later.

Only batsman that should be dropped is protected by Captaincy, Asad actually makes the Test XI on merit.

Bhai kya scene hai tickets ka.
Apparently can’t get on ground?

So apparently you cannot buy the ticket on the day of the test match.

And it can only be bought online and then collected from a third location.

Cannot be bought at stadium

This is ridiculous

Didn't watch the expert pitch report, but if it's the color of wicket at Day 1 morning, by lunch it might turn into Grand Trunk Road. Babar should get his chance for a triple here........

Didn't watch the expert pitch report, but if it's the color of wicket at Day 1 morning, by lunch it might turn into Grand Trunk Road. Babar should get his chance for a triple here........

That being the case, scoring rate from Pak needs to be much better!

That being the case, scoring rate from Pak needs to be much better!

I think, PAK should plan here based on how many overs they need to take 20 wickets. 450 overs should be possible here over 5 day. My hunch is, it'll take over 200 overs for PAK attack to take 20 Lankan wickets. Since PAK is batting first, means more overs will be required to set a target on 4th innings. SRL can score around 700 max in combined innings, means PAK will need around 800 within 225 overs to put a real pressure on last innings - that's a good amount of runs at almost 3.5 rate.

Best way to do that is to bat first 2 sessions of both days carefully, not lose many wickets and score last 200 runs at 4.5+ rate against a tired attack (to reach 575 in 163 overs), and allow bowlers 15 overs on Day 2. Ideal platform for that is to end Day 1 at around 300-2 (90 overs), with Babar well set .....

Goodbye and good riddance Azhar Ali. Nearly a decade of international cricket and he still hasn't learnt how to play even the slightest hint of inswing

Every delivery to masood is UNPLAYABLE, coz he just can't play cricket...
Nepotism at it's best.

In 1974 Ashes, Lillee & Thompson terrorized England batsmen - they flew in Cowdrey from retirement and it became worse .... as such that, by 5th Test (of 6), Captain Mike Denness decided to drop himself for playing XI. In history of the game, I don't think ever any other Captain has done that (without being injured or banned) ...... Azhar has a fantastic chance of sharing that little piece of history.

But, Denness returned for 6th Test and scored an 188 to win that Test comfortably, albeit Aussies missing both DK-JT .... and he retired straight after landing at Hethrow...... Azhar might not resist facing BD attack - he needs to be sacked.

Babar has best part of 170 overs to bat here - he might not get a better chance of a triple in his life time; that wicket is a batting belter, outfield is lightning and SRL attack is quite friendly.

Azhar is an embarrassment. He needs to admit he is done and just move on. Ruining his legacy as a certified Pakistani Great.

Had Rajitha been available, this guy Fernando could have been carrying drinks today - PAK batting indeed has unique quality....

Feeling pity on Pakistan? What's with the part-timer in the 10th over? LOL

We're looking at 350-400 here easily. Should be an easy win for Pakistan.

Abid has the chance to be among a very elite list - Azharuddin, Ponsford, Walters, Blewett, Ganguly, Rohit Sharma, Kalicharran & Neesham ... players who have scored hundreds in first 2 Tests of career. Rowe & Hamid (Yasir) has scored two hundreds in their debut Test - this one actually is Abid's 2nd innings.

Last edited:
Abid has the chance to be among a very elite list - Azharuddin, Ponsford, Walters, Blewett, Ganguly, Rohit Sharma, Kalicharran & Neesham ... players who have scored hundreds in first 2 Test of career. Lowe & Hamid (Yasir) has scored two hundreds in their debut Test - this one actually is Abid's 2nd innings.

Azharuddin scored consecutive centuries in his first 3 innings.

Fernando channeling his inner Akram. Looking very threatening with good pace too. 140 KPH that Babar delivery.

Had Rajitha been available, this guy Fernando could have been carrying drinks today - PAK batting indeed has unique quality....

I don't know if it's a case of Pakistan making him look too good because he's genuinely bowling quite challenging lines.

Abid has the chance to be among a very elite list - Azharuddin, Ponsford, Walters, Blewett, Ganguly, Rohit Sharma, Kalicharran & Neesham ... players who have scored hundreds in first 2 Tests of career. Rowe & Hamid (Yasir) has scored two hundreds in their debut Test - this one actually is Abid's 2nd innings.

Ok lets not get ahead of ourselves here lol.

That delivery to shan masood , delivery of the year i think. It was almost a leg break.

11 overs in 65 minutes - ICC's point deduction method isn't working I guess!!!! Only solution is to spank it where it hurts - lunch is after 29 overs, tea after 58 overs ... at least. If not,play will extend cutting the break time........ and at the day end, every slow over X 6 runs as extra (could be for both teams) + monetary fine.

11 overs in 65 minutes - ICC's point deduction method isn't working I guess!!!! Only solution is to spank it where it hurts - lunch is after 29 overs, tea after 58 overs ... at least. If not,play will extend cutting the break time........ and at the day end, every slow over X 6 runs as extra (could be for both teams) + monetary fine.

There were sightscreen issues that wasted around 10 minutes of time.

Took at least 5-10 minutes for the sight screen issue to be sorted to be fair. Even with that taken into account not good enough

You guys think we may reach a point where Misbah finally realizes his sheer stupidity when it comes to continously selecting underperforming batsmen?

or is he too thick in the head?

Too many poor deliveries but Ali don't mine though. Easy runs on offer if u don't trough ur wicket away.

Ok lets not get ahead of ourselves here lol.

Every signs are there that he can get a hundred here. He has 19 hundreds in 196 FC innings, and probably 3 doubles .... still guy averages below 40, mans his problem is starting - too many failures at the start of innings, but once set, he bats for long....... He has bated in this series for 6+ hours without being dismissed, and nicely middling here - why not?

Babar is sheer class wow

How did we ever get a batsman of his calibre? Unbelievable

Every signs are there that he can get a hundred here. He has 19 hundreds in 196 FC innings, and probably 3 doubles .... still guy averages below 40, mans his problem is starting - too many failures at the start of innings, but once set, he bats for long....... He has bated in this series for 6+ hours without being dismissed, and nicely middling here - why not?

Because he's playing against a weak bowling attack on a dead pitch.
Did you not see how easily Babar scored his 100 in the last match?

Hmm that's fair

Looking great so far

I don't know if it's a case of Pakistan making him look too good because he's genuinely bowling quite challenging lines.

Normal new ball bowling to couple of struggling batsmen. Shan was horrible - that ball was decent, nothing much - if this excites then try Wasim vs Slatter at Hobert. If Shan had been decent as well, he would have edged it to slips .... here completely squired-up and missed the line to get castled being a Test opener!!!! This is the specimen of T20 era opener, least said about Azhar these days is better.

Abid Ali doesn't know how to rotate the strike.
He's just hoarding the strike.

Because he's playing against a weak bowling attack on a dead pitch.
Did you not see how easily Babar scored his 100 in the last match?

He can play only what is given to him. So far 4 PAK batsmen have batted in this series - two has got hundreds, other two undda, why?

caught a little. Pitch has no real pace. Ample time for batsmen to camp on backfoot and play. Bowling short is criminal here. Also pitch could break by third day.

Back