Pakistan v Sri Lanka | 2nd Test | Karachi | 19th-23rd December, 2019 | Day 1 Thread

caught a little. Pitch has no real pace. Ample time for batsmen to camp on backfoot and play. Bowling short is criminal here. Also pitch could break by third day.

Won't break - I can bet on that, unless 10 years have changed everything. Wicket doesn't break at Karachi, even on day 5 - but, it'll reverse and drift in 3rd session, probably because of sea breeze.

He can play only what is given to him. So far 4 PAK batsmen have batted in this series - two has got hundreds, other two undda, why?

So you saying that he can be amongst the elite in the future seems a bit premature?

This claim can be made for literally any debutant.

So you saying that he can be amongst the elite in the future seems a bit premature?

This claim can be made for literally any debutant.

He is delayed by 6 years at least, so not much time left. Next decline is his last. Every batsman goes through 2nd year syndrome - but if it's at genuine younger age, they can work on it and come back with counter measures .... but if he is born with few years and struggles at the wrong side of 30 .... he becomes Azhar Ali.

Here, if you look carefully, both PAK batsmen got out for "reaching out" with pathetic footwork, and missed slightly moving ball; this guy is waiting for the ball to come on bat - he'll be difficult to dislodge on this track.

Wonder what ever happened to Sri Lankan fast bowler Chameera. Looking at Kumara is a breath of fresh air. Kumara and Chameera bowling in tandem at above 90 MPH would be a treat.

That delivery to shan masood , delivery of the year i think. It was almost a leg break.

Because his feet didnt move an inch it looked even better than it was and there can be no excuse for missing the line of the ball by a complete foot

Embu has similar action as Ravi Shastri. But he bowls too many half trackers. Not as many as Yasir did in Australia though lol

Fawad should retire. He doesn't deserve to be humiliated again and again

No that will be letting him, inzi and others win. Don’t lose hope, never lose hope in shaa Allah these guys get exposed. Fact is there is no good journalist out there with guts that will call misbah out on his stupidity.

Brother don’t be disheartened, Fawad will play against Bangladesh I can guarantee it. Just keep your fingers crossed that Bangladesh tour against us or we agree on playing in Dubai.

Anyways with that I’d like to congratulate azhar ali on today’s gigantic score of 0.

Had the misfortune of watching Pakistan play so far. It is refreshing to see the bat fly of the bat in a home Test series. a world of difference between Pakistani and UAE pitches.

Nevertheless, although the state of the stadiums perfectly encapsulates the mediocrity of Pakistan cricket, the incompetent duo of Mani and Wasim have to ensure that they give the stadiums a facelift.

They look embarrassing.

Had the misfortune of watching Pakistan play so far. It is refreshing to see the bat fly of the bat in a home Test series. a world of difference between Pakistani and UAE pitches.

Nevertheless, although the state of the stadiums perfectly encapsulates the mediocrity of Pakistan cricket, the incompetent duo of Mani and Wasim have to ensure that they give the stadiums a facelift.

They look embarrassing.
Sethi did this renovation?? how can we call it renovation?

He shouldn't have been called at all - it was a knee jerk reaction just to chill some aggressive reaction after the AUS tour. There is absolutely no benefit playing him - he would have scored plenty here against SRL or may against BD in next Series wherever it's played; but few others can do that as well and it won't have earned PCT a single penny in UK 8 months later.

Only batsman that should be dropped is protected by Captaincy, Asad actually makes the Test XI on merit.

Asad makes the captaincy??? On what basis an average of 35 over the last 20 innings and then performing when we’ve more a less lost.

I’m sorry but what doesn’t make sense to me is misbah playing iftikhar Ahmed straight away, misbah playing Ahmed shehzad straight away and misbah playing Umar akmal straight away and then pulling some crap and not allowing Fawad a game that to in front of his home crowd.

I think 300 is a good score here but Pakistani pacers need to bowl Test match lengths and be patient. They are far too impatient especially Naseem.

Abid's technique of standing deep inside the crease to negotiate shorter ball could backfire if they bowlers start bowling fuller and fuller

Asad makes the captaincy??? On what basis an average of 35 over the last 20 innings and then performing when we’ve more a less lost.

I’m sorry but what doesn’t make sense to me is misbah playing iftikhar Ahmed straight away, misbah playing Ahmed shehzad straight away and misbah playing Umar akmal straight away and then pulling some crap and not allowing Fawad a game that to in front of his home crowd.

Not for Captaincy.

You can't justify one mistake with other. People don't like Misbah (me too and rightly so) - but just like those, calling back a 35 years old batsman to carry drinks is equally mistake. PAK Test cap isn't Shahrukh Khan's emotional drama that someone should be considered to play in front of home crowd.

Fawad's time is over - he was hard done by 10 years back, but you can't compensate that now. And, he doesn't make PAK XI over Asad or Haris - Haris for his SLAO spin (he'll be handy here) and Asad simply because he is the classiest experienced middle order in this line-up. People bash him for averaging 38 and kisses Babar for same average...... overall batting standard is low - that's the real problem, not Asad.

impressed by Fernando and Kumara here. With Lakmal's return it could be a very decent pace attack for the next few years for SL.

Should've sent Haris in at 5. Left-right combo and our best batting pair. Would've left Shafiq at his favourite #6 spot as well.

Such a classical action for him. Even more classical given that it is a srilankan who generally have odd ball action.

A better bowling attack would have run through Pakistan on this pitch

My views on Abid:

He is okay for Test cricket in the short-term. He can bat at a SR of 50+ and maintain an average of around 35, which actually makes him an improvement over our great captain, the Pakistani Gavaskar.

However, he is susceptible against the moving ball and could struggle in England next year. Moreover, notwithstanding his debut hundred, he should not play ODIs.

Not for Captaincy.

You can't justify one mistake with other. People don't like Misbah (me too and rightly so) - but just like those, calling back a 35 years old batsman to carry drinks is equally mistake. PAK Test cap isn't Shahrukh Khan's emotional drama that someone should be considered to play in front of home crowd.

Fawad's time is over - he was hard done by 10 years back, but you can't compensate that now. And, he doesn't make PAK XI over Asad or Haris - Haris for his SLAO spin (he'll be handy here) and Asad simply because he is the classiest experienced middle order in this line-up. People bash him for averaging 38 and kisses Babar for same average...... overall batting standard is low - that's the real problem, not Asad.

People bash Asad for averaging 38 after 70 odd tests and declining. They'll do the same for Babar if he averages 38 even a year from now.
Agree about Fawad, his time is over, need to blood someone younger

Pakistan has only 2 international standard batsman - these two😟
Rizwan had potential as a keeper/batsman but thats it.
Misbah are you sure fawad wasnt worth a try?

Not for Captaincy.

:murali

Last Two Years (TESTS)

Babar Azam - 57.63 AVG
Asad Shafiq - 35.50 AVG

Already 3 down against this hopeless attack! Burmah, Shami, Ishant & Aish will eat these Abids, Babars,Shans alive in just 1 session. Lucky that Pak doesn't play test cricket against India.

Not for Captaincy.

On the money again!

But what do you think about using fawad as a stop gap for 2 years, while we try out 1/2 new youngsters?
If we just add a couple of yoingsters with no experienced guy, we will get beat by zimbabwe!

People bash Asad for averaging 38 after 70 odd tests and declining. They'll do the same for Babar if he averages 38 even a year from now.

How do you know Babar will maintain 38 after 70 Tests? PAK batsmen start to fade away once opponents have a good look at them and this guy is more focused in T20 also..... Asad had an average of 42+ after 38 Tests...... PAK doesn't have too many options to be honest - if Imam plays all 3 Tests in UK, his career average will go down below 20 .... that's the best talent after Babar in recent times (with great work ethics, learning aptitude, fighting attitude, resilience, value for wicket .........) - I guess, you got the clue.

Fawad time is over .... What?

How do you know Babar will maintain 38 after 70 Tests? PAK batsmen start to fade away once opponents have a good look at them and this guy is more focused in T20 also..... Asad had an average of 42+ after 38 Tests...... PAK doesn't have too many options to be honest - if Imam plays all 3 Tests in UK, his career average will go down below 20 .... that's the best talent after Babar in recent times (with great work ethics, learning aptitude, fighting attitude, resilience, value for wicket .........) - I guess, you got the clue.
Brother, l keep telling these people asad is our second best test batsman, babar being the first.
And these two are the only international.quality batsman in the team.
They mock me, because they are kids, thats why its so great that you are on this forum, someone who knows what they are talking about!

:murali

Last Two Years (TESTS)

Babar Azam - 57.63 AVG
Asad Shafiq - 35.50 AVG

Doesn't matter - I watch cricket as well, beyond stats. Had Asad batted at 4 at Pindi last week, those figures could have been as close as 52- 42.

Asad Shafiq makes one of 4 middle order spots for PAK, on pure batting merit - I don't know, who should be dropped to accommodate someone, but not Asad, Babar - only two players who are comfortable against anything over 135K and actually can play on back-foot, through off-side.

Agree with both [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] and [MENTION=123787]angrypathan[/MENTION] , fawads time is over. He is 35 ,his best 10 years were wasted in the domestic circuit and at the age of 35 when batsmen are on his last legs how can we expect fawad to do wonders with the bat under strong scrutiny and expectations.

only few people came to watch the match

what could be the reason?
Cricket is dying in Pakistan.
T20 is the only cricket that should be played in the 21st century and even then these khi fans wont turn up!
Cricket should only be played in punjab - lahore, faislabad, multan and gujranwala.
Maybe sailkot as well.

Good pitch, has pace and some life. So much better than watching them play on the graveyards of the UAE.

LOL some people saying Babar can't play the short ball due to that one ball, he was caught by surprise as that was the first bouncer he faced after a huge amount of full balls on the stumps.

Abid wasn't selfish with the review, Babar asked him to review.

Not for Captaincy.

The value of looking classy is subjective. Its overrated for me. Age wise Asad is only 3 and half months younger than Fawad. Azhar is older than him. No reason Fawad cant play until 40 ( another 6 years) atleast, if he keeps fit, given he is a 1 format player.

I just don't think you can right off Fawad right now given Shafiq and Azhar's forms.

Not for Captaincy.

No I’m not letting that go. Fact is we could’ve done better than azhar and asad 2 years ago with the likes of usman salahuddin, saud shakeel, saad ali, Zeeshan malik but no these guys still made the XI. It’s pretty pathetic 2 guys who have been in the team for years and one having an average of around 35 oh I’m sorry 38 is pretty pathetic. We use to have higher standards than that long ago when batsmen averaged in their mid 40s.

“Kisses Babar for same average”- Babar has improved day by day, whereas asad has just been the same and not shown any improvement at all.

Fact is I think we’re making assumptions about Fawad and that’s not fair. Can’t tell if he’ll fail if he hasn’t played. Common sense would tell you that a guy who’s in hot form should be played, especially someone who’s just played in Karachi scoring 100s.

I asked you the question why did iftikhar play straight away? Why did Ahmed shehzad play straight away? Why did Umar akmal play straight away? Why was Ahmed shehzad in the 2nd t20 played one down?

Brother, l keep telling these people asad is our second best test batsman, babar being the first.
And these two are the only international.quality batsman in the team.
They mock me, because they are kids, thats why its so great that you are on this forum, someone who knows what they are talking about!

PAK doesn't have a single batsman beyond Babar/Asad, who can hit on the rise, on back-foot, through off side against anyone faster than Soumya Sharkar ...... that SAF guy (forgot name) made a career out of PAK batting, scaring them at 135K thunderbolts!!!!!! In LO, you can hide because bowlers are forced not to bowl short - if Fawad plays, not a single ball from Kumara will allow him to come on front foot and play his French cricket; might not be decisive at NSK, but won't help much against Jimmy, Berbi, Archer & Woakes.....

In 1974 Ashes, Lillee & Thompson terrorized England batsmen - they flew in Cowdrey from retirement and it became worse .... as such that, by 5th Test (of 6), Captain Mike Denness decided to drop himself for playing XI. In history of the game, I don't think ever any other Captain has done that (without being injured or banned) ...... Azhar has a fantastic chance of sharing that little piece of history.

But, Denness returned for 6th Test and scored an 188 to win that Test comfortably, albeit Aussies missing both DK-JT .... and he retired straight after landing at Hethrow...... Azhar might not resist facing BD attack - he needs to be sacked.

Wow what a guy this Mike Denness but we had a gem too who in recent history retired from the game (tests) mid-series. Clue: he came back in the test team after a long time that too as a captain and after 1 match he retired. In his last innings his team was chasing 400+ target and when he came at 227-5 he scooped the fifth ball to mid wicket region to make it 229-6

Cricket is dying in Pakistan.
T20 is the only cricket that should be played in the 21st century and even then these khi fans wont turn up!
Cricket should only be played in punjab - lahore, faislabad, multan and gujranwala.
Maybe sailkot as well.

No marketing and strong security measures are the reasons too , no one wants to go through a million barriers to get to a stadium where only watchable player is babar azam.

Whenever you see the pakistani scorecard for the first time in a session, be prepared for at least 2-3 wickets down.

Good pitch, has pace and some life. So much better than watching them play on the graveyards of the UAE.

LOL some people saying Babar can't play the short ball due to that one ball, he was caught by surprise as that was the first bouncer he faced after a huge amount of full balls on the stumps.

Abid wasn't selfish with the review, Babar asked him to review.
He can only dodge a bouncer, he has no hook shot or pull shot against pace to speak off.
A one trick pony!

He can only dodge a bouncer, he has no hook shot or pull shot against pace to speak off.
A one trick pony!

Don’t know what you are smoking. Probably the only pakistani batsman who can play short pitched bowling quite comfortably. Against very good bouncers even Ponting and KP could struggle, but on a general Babar is good against this sort of bowling.

No I’m not letting that go. Fact is we could’ve done better than azhar and asad 2 years ago with the likes of usman salahuddin, saud shakeel, saad ali, Zeeshan malik but no these guys still made the XI. It’s pretty pathetic 2 guys who have been in the team for years and one having an average of around 35 oh I’m sorry 38 is pretty pathetic. We use to have higher standards than that long ago when batsmen averaged in their mid 40s.

“Kisses Babar for same average”- Babar has improved day by day, whereas asad has just been the same and not shown any improvement at all.

Fact is I think we’re making assumptions about Fawad and that’s not fair. Can’t tell if he’ll fail if he hasn’t played. Common sense would tell you that a guy who’s in hot form should be played, especially someone who’s just played in Karachi scoring 100s.

I asked you the question why did iftikhar play straight away? Why did Ahmed shehzad play straight away? Why did Umar akmal play straight away? Why was Ahmed shehzad in the 2nd t20 played one down?

How do you know - Fakhar Zaman was a million dollar kid in his first one-two years?

As I said, yes there could be new faces tried, but not at the expenses of Asad - he is not at the bottom of the packing order. PAK still is wasting No. 3 spot to accommodate Azhar, gave Ifti a taste of Test cricket as well .... My point is, you can't drop Asad keeping Azhar in the XI ....

No marketing and strong security measures are the reasons too , no one wants to go through a million barriers to get to a stadium where only watchable player is babar azam.
Excuses, Pakistanis are tight with money, especially karachites, they rather watch on tv.
Advertising? I am in the uk, up in the early hours watching and these guys dont know a match is on?😅

Wow what a guy this Mike Denness but we had a gem too who in recent history retired from the game (tests) mid-series. Clue: he came back in the test team after a long time that too as a captain and after 1 match he retired. In his last innings his team was chasing 400+ target and when he came at 227-5 he scooped the fifth ball to mid wicket region to make it 229-6

:sendoff

Pakistan has better bowling combination for this Test. Srilanka has picked a side to draw the test.

Excuses, Pakistanis are tight with money, especially karachites, they rather watch on tv.
Advertising? I am in the uk, up in the early hours watching and these guys dont know a match is on?��

Entry is free for some stands and 50 rupees is peanuts for the other stands.

Marketing matters because not everyone is a cricket nut like posters on PP. They specially don't watch Test cricket so much. You have to provide some hype and marketing to get people into the ground.

Don’t know what you are smoking. Probably the only pakistani batsman who can play short pitched bowling quite comfortably. Against very good bouncers even Ponting and KP could struggle, but on a general Babar is good against this sort of bowling.
Na useless shaan and rizwan are the best in this team at playing bouncers.
Outside this team then hafeez, shajeel and junior are better than everyone in this team at playing bouncers.
Babar is mediocre, not as bad as imam or haris etc but still not very good.

Advertising? I am in the uk, up in the early hours watching and these guys dont know a match is on?��

Test cricket's marketing has to be done differently. The world has changed, so is the media/entertainment pattern, life style. I can assure you I try to watch/follow every Test, but I had NEVER been in stadium for Test cricket in last 20 years, because it blocks my time. I can watch HD pictures, with expert analysis and graphics, replays from the comfort of my AC room, with a lap top, a palm top open, may be a bit music as well, someone serving coffee & chips, I can do my studies or office work (in fact right now I have an excel file open...) ....... that doesn't mean I have lost interest in Test cricket.

10 years back, people would have been trolling you if you had said that CR 07 earns over $35mn/year from his YouTube, Instagram, FB.... accounts!!!! The world has changed - money is there now through on-line, advertisement/branding and social network.... Koun Kambakht expects gate money from Test cricket!!!!!!

Entry is free for some stands and 50 rupees is peanuts for the other stands.

Marketing matters because not everyone is a cricket nut like posters on PP. They specially don't watch Test cricket so much. You have to provide some hype and marketing to get people into the ground.
You are talking t20 hype - actors, singers, dancing girls, catch a crore and most importantly SIXES!
Test cricket is on life support, lets just switch the life support off and watch t20s(coming from someone whose been watching tests ,when possible , for over 37 years)!

How do you know - Fakhar Zaman was a million dollar kid in his first one-two years?

As I said, yes there could be new faces tried, but not at the expenses of Asad - he is not at the bottom of the packing order. PAK still is wasting No. 3 spot to accommodate Azhar, gave Ifti a taste of Test cricket as well .... My point is, you can't drop Asad keeping Azhar in the XI ....

Some people make debuts late and doesn’t mean automatically they’ll fail based on their age, misbah made a late debut and look at what he achieved. Similarly, I’d say this is probably fawad’s best time to show his worth as he did in the recent QeA season.

The criteria for playing cricket should be if someone is fit and is in form after that nothing matters.

Asad is doing good from what you’d expect from someone who’s been in the squad as a new starter. Fact is the board has spent too much investment in these guys and the return has been average to say the least, India are better than us because they constantly trial new guys but no for us it’s the same boring old same XI.

In closing brother cricket is for all. Come in the team based on effort and not by staying based on Purchi.

You are talking t20 hype - actors, singers, dancing girls, catch a crore and most importantly SIXES!
Test cricket is on life support, lets just switch the life support off and watch t20s(coming from someone whose been watching tests ,when possible , for over 37 years)!

No, I am talking about raising awareness and providing some hype to the contest.

Test cricket's marketing has to be done differently. The world has changed, so is the media/entertainment pattern, life style. I can assure you I try to watch/follow every Test, but I had NEVER been in stadium for Test cricket in last 20 years, because it blocks my time. I can watch HD pictures, with expert analysis and graphics, replays from the comfort of my AC room, with a lap top, a palm top open, may be a bit music as well, someone serving coffee & chips, I can do my studies or office work (in fact right now I have an excel file open...) ....... that doesn't mean I have lost interest in Test cricket.

10 years back, people would have been trolling you if you had said that CR 07 earns over $35mn/year from his YouTube, Instagram, FB.... accounts!!!! The world has changed - money is there now through on-line, advertisement/branding and social network.... Koun Kambakht expects gate money from Test cricket!!!!!!
Very true, i am a armchair fan too, i cant stand the noise, being sat in a uncomfortable chair for 8 hours+(i am lying in bed watching on my tv) and the extortionate prices for food and drinks.
And even in the uk, the toilets are disgusting, cant imagine what Pak would be like.

I would play Fawad Alam at 3. Drop Shan and move Azhar up to open. Fawad's FC average dwarfs Shafiq and Azhar's. He has a track record of scoring big, slow, ugly runs. It's the Pujara type role which should suit him perfectly. Give him a couple of series. If it doesn't work fine, move on. But I have a feeling Pakistan might discover another late career gem in Fawad.

Back