Panthers (123/5) claim inaugural Champions One-Day Cup 2024 title, edging Markhors (122) by 5 wickets in thrilling low-scoring final

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
UMT Markhors have qualified for the final of the Bahria Town Champions One-Day Cup after their Eliminator clash against the Nurpur Lions was washed out due to rain here at the Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad on Friday.

According to the tournament qualifying conditions, in case of a washout in the play-offs, the team which has a higher standing at the completion of the league matches will qualify for the next stage.

The Markhors finished the league stage on top of the points table with three wins, one loss and 38 points while the Lions were placed fourth on the table with one win, three losses and 12 points. Markhors will now face the Lake City Panthers in the final on 29 September.

Squads:

MARKHORS
: Mohammad Rizwan (captain), Abdul Samad, Akif Javed, Ali Usman, Bismillah Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Haseebullah, Iftikhar Ahmed, Kamran Ghulam, Mohammad Faizan, Mohammad Imran Jnr, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Sarwar Afridi, Muhammad Imran, Naseem Shah, Salman Ali Agha, Shahnawaz Dahani and Zahid Mehmood

PANTHERS: Shadab Khan (captain), Abdul Wahid Bangalzai, Ahmed Bashir, Amad Butt, Arafat Minhas, Azan Awais, Haider Ali, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Umar, Mohammad Zeeshan, Mubasir Khan, Rizwan Mehmood, Saim Ayub, Umar Siddiq, Usama Mir and Usman Khan

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Panthers are favorite now as star players from Markhors have left to join the Test squad.

Not seen a single match. Any new and upcoming talent emerged from this tournamaent?

Panthers should be the favorites for this one but I expect a lot closer contest in this final than we saw in the Qualifier between these two teams.

Both Captains Ready to Battle for Glory in the Final Showdown in Champions One Day Cup

uMK1ogf.jpg

TSb3kXE.jpg

CYUVjHh.jpg

AKoraCS.jpg

Last edited:
Both Captains Ready to Battle for Glory in the Final Showdown in Champions One Day Cup

uMK1ogf.jpg

TSb3kXE.jpg

CYUVjHh.jpg
Lake City Panthers to lock horns with UMT Markhors in the final of Bahria Town Champions One-Day Cup

After 13 matches and 16 days, two teams - UMT Markhors and Lake City Panthers have emerged as the contenders for being crowned the inaugural winners of the Bahria Town Champions One-Day Cup 2024.

The final, set to begin at 3pm on Sunday at the Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad, will be the third occasion in this tournament where these two teams will face each other with both having won one game each previously.

In the tournament opener on 12 September, the Markhors got the better of Panthers with a 160-run win while the Panthers defeated Markhors in the qualifier by seven wickets to reach the final. Markhors on the other hand advanced to the final based on their top standing in the league stage after their eliminator clash against the Nurpur Lions was called off without a ball being bowled.

In total the Panthers have so far played five matches in the tournament winning four and losing just one while the Markhors have played six games reaping three wins, two losses while their last game was a washout.

Markhors and Panthers have both seen changes in their squads after the Pakistan’s Test squad for the England series was announced. In the Markhors squad, Mohammad Rizwan, Naseem Shah and Salman Ali Agha have been replaced by Bismillah Khan, Niaz Khan and Zain Abbas.

Danish Aziz and Sajid Khan have replaced Mubasir Khan and Saim Ayub in the Panthers squad. While Saim was named in the Test squad, the all-rounder Mubasir was ruled out due to a thumb fracture.

Lake City Panthers’ Usman Khan leads the runs scoring charts in the tournament with 259 runs at an average of 64.75 in five matches with one hundred. Allied Bank Stallions’ Tayyab Tahir sits on the second spot with 249 runs at 49.80 while Kamran Ghulam of UMT Markhors has scored 248 runs in the five matches at 49.60 including two hundreds. Usman and Kamran will look to finish as the top run-scorers of the tournament.

On the bowling front, Panthers’ Mohammad Hasnain is the leading wicket-taker with 14 wickets followed by Stallions’ Jahandad Khan, Lions’ and Markhors’ Zahid Mehmood who have 10 each to their names.

UMT Markhors Captain, Iftikhar Ahmed

“The Bahria Town Champions One-Day Cup has been a fantastic tournament and to stake a claim for becoming the inaugural champions of this domestic competition is an exciting prospect for the UMT Markhors.

“I will look to instill my experience of playing for Pakistan in high-pressure games to the young players in our squad. The fans will surely get to see a highly-competitive final tomorrow.

“We are hopeful to repeat the opening game heroics against the Lake City Panthers. Despite the departure of Mohammad Rizwan, Naseem Shah and Salman Ali Agha, the Markhors team is committed to giving the best performance in the final and lifting the trophy.”

Lake City Panthers Captain, Shadab Khan

“I’m really excited to be leading the Lake City Panthers in the final of the Bahria Town Champions One-Day Cup and I’m pretty sure this occasion will bring the best out of our players.

“After our win in the Qualifier, we had four off days where we took ample rest and trained for the final as well which has set up the Panthers squad in the best stead possible to compete in a high-profile game.

“We will miss Saim Ayub’s presence with the ball and bat but so many of the other players are ready to put their hand up and give their best. The final is going to be a cracking contest and I hope the fans turn up in big numbers as they have done throughout the tournament”

After Riz, Iftimania is the second most deserving
Okay here's the thing, I'm going to be serious with you just this once, cause usually we just do light banter.

I can understand your support for Rizwan, Since at the very least his inclusion is political, but performance wise he did score In Australia, He did make a 171 against Bangladesh, He did score a world cup 100 in 2023, He did perform in 2021 againat India breaking Moqa Moqa, Fine. Agreed.

But what's the deal with Chacha? Genuinely what are his performances?

Here are his scores in world cup 2023

1) 9 of 11 against Nedtherlands
2) 22 of 10 Not put against sri lanka
3) 4 of 4 against India
4) 26 of 20 against australia
5) 21 of 31 BATTING AT NO 5 against south Africa
6) 40 of 27 against afghanistan
7) 3 of 5 agaisnt England
8) 17 of 15 not put against Bangladesh

The series before that he only performed against C team NZ and faiked Afghanistan and Asia cup 2023.

In 2024 he's flunked every t20 series included world cup 2024 as well as a super over? He missed 3 full tosses from India. People put weight on imad wasim but are willing to forgive chacha missing out on 3 full tosses? And getting out on a full toss from USA and corpse neesham?

Please tell me based of what performance is Chacha admired? I can understand rizwan, I can't understand chacha from any angel.

Okay here's the thing, I'm going to be serious with you just this once, cause usually we just do light banter.

I can understand your support for Rizwan, Since at the very least his inclusion is political, but performance wise he did score In Australia, He did make a 171 against Bangladesh, He did score a world cup 100 in 2023, He did perform in 2021 againat India breaking Moqa Moqa, Fine. Agreed.

But what's the deal with Chacha? Genuinely what are his performances?

Here are his scores in world cup 2023

1) 9 of 11 against Nedtherlands
2) 22 of 10 Not put against sri lanka
3) 4 of 4 against India
4) 26 of 20 against australia
5) 21 of 31 BATTING AT NO 5 against south Africa
6) 40 of 27 against afghanistan
7) 3 of 5 agaisnt England
8) 17 of 15 not put against Bangladesh

The series before that he only performed against C team NZ and faiked Afghanistan and Asia cup 2023.

In 2024 he's flunked every t20 series included world cup 2024 as well as a super over? He missed 3 full tosses from India. People put weight on imad wasim but are willing to forgive chacha missing out on 3 full tosses? And getting out on a full toss from USA and corpse neesham?

Please tell me based of what performance is Chacha admired? I can understand rizwan, I can't understand chacha from any angel.
I will tell you with full honesty, that in Pakistan team if there is one guy who can tackle extreme pace and quality spin, it is Chacha. The annoying thing is that his batting position changes in every game. He needs time to settle in before he changes gear. How many guys in Pakistan team can hit 6 sixes in over? Only two. Fakhar & Chacha.

We must back him till Champions Trophy.

I will tell you with full honesty, that in Pakistan team if there is one guy who can tackle extreme pace and quality spin, it is Chacha. The annoying thing is that his batting position changes in every game. He needs time to settle in before he changes gear. How many guys in Pakistan team can hit 6 sixes in over? Only two. Fakhar & Chacha.

This is where you're wrong. It was pace that he can't play. Him hitting 6 sixes in an over in domestic or leagues means jack considering crap players like azam kham have higher strike rate's then chacha in leagues but are completly useless in international and can't function at all.

He was given full tosses by Neesham, Full tosses by Netravalkar, Full tosses by Indian pacers and he didn't dispatch any. All those hypocrites who blame Imad wasim for the India game, Okay fair enough I agree, Imad botched it, But what's the excuse for chacha who could have easily dispatched All 3 for sixes and won the game? They were full tosses for NY pitch wasn't an issue?

As for batting positions, Again this is where you're wrong since chacha crying about shows his poor attitude. The truth is he's batted at no 5 and no 4 multiple times in his career and would do so in 2018-2020 time period. Problem was that he's so poor against spin that zampa completly exposed him.

Hence Misbah would wait for Zampa to complete his spell and then send chacha in t20 after the 13th to 16 depending on when zampa would complete it.

During Misbah's coaching stint he shuffled Chacha all over the place due to spin constantly waiting until spin was over and this is something Misbah himself admitted to.

The thing is chacha can't open or play top order or no 4 because early seam and spin are put of the question, But he can't bat at no 6 or 7, Cause he isn't a finisher and takes an eternity even when only pacers are bowling to him and usually gets out on 25 of 21 or 30 of 25 etc.

Chacha whining means nothing, He has multiple interviews where he claimed he enjoyed the finisher role, and how he's famous as a finisher and enjoys playing at that number, But now that he's getting exposed he's going the Muhammad rizwan route and claiming Mein Khush nahi hoon no 6 pei.

Rizwan did the same, Rizzu had an interview in 2016 where he outright claimed that he doesn't care about batting at the lower order and enjoys it as he's happy to play for the team but now that Rizwan and chacha are mainstays amd have power and were exposed at lower numbers averaging less them 20, both are whining and want higher positions.

Ofcourse Misbah would make chacha captain
why Misbah didnt push him to be fit... If it ifthi chacha his fanboy then doesnt count on fitness..

Lol doesnt matter where he bats , he had ten matches in the 50 over CWC with whenever he walked there was ample time and overs to bat and he couldnt score a 50 goes to show that he doesnt belong to ODIs certainly not in intl arena...

Apart from him every single batsman was able to put a score atleast a 50 atleast against lower ranked teams.. this guy iftimania couldnt help himself in such favorite condition not foreign like SENA pitches...

Even Imam ul haq who was struggling was able to score a 50 ...

Simple this guy is useless to the core , just move on pls...He can hit sixers in his own backyard

Chacha is a crowd puller. Makes sense to make him captain. His knocks at the start of the tournament are what built some of the hype.

Hopefully if he can get his hands on the cup tomorrow PCB might consider him as the next white ball captain.

Chacha is a crowd puller. Makes sense to make him captain. His knocks at the start of the tournament are what built some of the hype.

Hopefully if he can get his hands on the cup tomorrow PCB might consider him as the next white ball captain.
They should make you VC as well. Both of you will go hand in hand

Shadab already had won PSL this year and now has the chance to add another trophy to his cabinet.

Yes absolutely. I think he could replace Shan as red ball captain as well.

UMT Markhors have won the toss and are batting first against Lake City Panthers in the FINAL.

Fakhar should settle in today and look to score big.

He's the only reason I'm watching the final

Chacha realises that tail is big. He has sacrificed himself from no.4 to no.5 for the team cause.

What a team man!
Bas kardo bas kardo.

Just admit he made excuses because he was failing at the top.

He knows full well he can't read early seam which is why when 2 wickets fell early he didn't come.out

Both finalists are the best two sides in bowling in the first 10 overs.

Panthers are the only side to average less than 20 in this phase!

OjDhgkL.jpg

Pakistan players seem to have lost their ability to dive and take catches with the same flair as superheroes.

ZHwJP27.jpg

Sajid Don

He wasnt considered good enough for Peshawar’s first XI by Iftikhar during the national cup

I really don’t get the point about crying on TV that you are being treated as a tailender, and saying you are a 4-5 number batsman….

But then hiding behind Zain Abbas, Haseebullah and Bismillah Khan when you are captain?

I really don’t get the point about crying on TV that you are being treated as a tailender, and saying you are a 4-5 number batsman….

But then hiding behind Zain Abbas, Haseebullah and Bismillah Khan when you are captain?
@gazza619 care to explain? What's the narrative now? Since you change it every day

What is the comentary even taking about? Their saying samad can hit the ball but that's not whats required at the moment.

Then what's required? You need to up the rr?

Sarmad experiment is over we hype ppl up just after one game thats how desperate we are he has played couple of good innings rest been awful

Chacha failed again

Better he would have focused on his batting than hairstyle, Markhors ain't winning the final

Of all batsmen Haseeb Ullah looked the best today. Shadab Khan has led well and contained the batsmen whilst chipping away wickets. Chacha is the last of KIA group to be sent to exile like Khushdil and Asif Ali, these 3 have never been good enough to play for Pakistan.

Fakhar Zaman: 3500 ODI runs with 2 double tons

Iftikhar Ahmed: 600 ODI runs in 28 matches, only 1 hundred against Nepal

Who did Misbah opt for captain? What does it tell you about the way this person’s brain works?

What’s your reading of “he looked the best today”?
Footwork, early intent of scoring runs on opportunities available, but like others he got stuck when spin introduced, but still looked more solid than others and less false shots.

Fakhar Zaman: 3500 ODI runs with 2 double tons

Iftikhar Ahmed: 600 ODI runs in 28 matches, only 1 hundred against Nepal

Who did Misbah opt for captain? What does it tell you about the way this person’s brain works?
No one considers Fakhar for captaincy yet he is one of the most stable guy(personality wise) in Pakistan.

Strange Shadab not bowled so far despite talking about long bowling spell helping his bowling again.

Back