Imad Wasim ends retirement, set to play T20Is for Pakistan leading up to ICC T20I World Cup 2024 [Post Updated #116]

Is Imad Wasim coming out of retirement leading up to the ICC T20I World Cup 2024 good for Pakistan?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The Pakistan Cricket Board has been in touch with Imad Wasim to discuss the possibility of him reversing his retirement from international cricket.

Imad's outstanding performance in PSL 9, where he scored 126 runs and took 12 wickets, played a crucial role in Islamabad United clinching their third PSL title.

Imad Wasim is being encouraged to reconsider his retirement plans, and discussions on the matter are ongoing.

Despite playing his last T20 International for Pakistan against New Zealand in Rawalpindi a year ago, Imad stated during an exclusive interview with Saj Sadiq, "You never know, I can take my retirement back."

So now let's see what happens.

What is your take on this? Do you want him to come out of retirement?

What’s more significant is that Shaheen Afridi is the one leading the initiative to have him back.

Signs of a good leader. No ego, all that matters is what is the best for Pakistan

Babar failed in this regard.

InshaAllah the best outcome for Pakistan

If you can get Imad, Usman Khan and Amir back…that’s 3 solid first team cricketers added into the roster. It will significantly strengthen your squad

Not sure about Usman.

I think imad may come back, I don't think Amir is coming back though.

Amongst the myriad of things PAK routinely mess up during tournaments - adapting to local conditions is one of them.

Imad's played countless matches in the CPL so his knowledge of each venue is invaluable. Good move from PCB.

Gotta respect Imad. He didn't like the way PCB were bullying players with franchise league NOCs and announced his retirement. And now they are the ones asking him to come back instead of the other way around which has been the case for so many Pakistani and South Asian players in the past. Hopefully he does come back because he will be incredibly important in the T20 World Cup. Not only does he have a great amount experience playing the CPL in the West Indies but he has also played MLC in the US too. Though I wonder how many of the same pitches will be used in the World Cup and how many will be created from scratch.

good move, Babar needs to put is personal issues aside, Babar isn't god of Pakistan cricket he's just another Pakistani player
we need to work as a team and make decisions what are best for Pakistan cricket rather than bringing favouritism and personal issues in Pakistan team

What’s more significant is that Shaheen Afridi is the one leading the initiative to have him back.

Signs of a good leader. No ego, all that matters is what is the best for Pakistan

Is he? Has this been reported somewhere?

Amongst the myriad of things PAK routinely mess up during tournaments - adapting to local conditions is one of them.

Imad's played countless matches in the CPL so his knowledge of each venue is invaluable. Good move from PCB.

Wait until the end of the T20 WC and the Honeymoon period will come to an end.

Every single PPer will be waiting for Imad with their Shovel.

Shaheen approached Amir as well.

I don't understand this...

It's not the captains job to approach players, not is it solely their job to select players...

Pakistan Cricket is run by bafoons.

Rameez raja is the bafoon who started this trend by giving full authority to captains

Not just Rameez, every single chairman...

Managment is supposed to do just that. Manage the players... they have to make sure different personalities/egos come together as a team...

No captain, Babar, Shaheen or anyone else, should have the power to drop or bring back a player

Amir and Imad should be back in the team. Especially Amir, Shaheen is not a leader of the pace attack.

Even Usman Khan has been approached. It is good if all stakeholders are putting aside their egos and picking the best possible available players for Pakistan. Enough of the dosti yaari tuu mera match winner culture we saw during Babar's time.

My captain, oh captain. Cant wait for Shaheen to lead us to world cup glory!

Not just Rameez, every single chairman...

Managment is supposed to do just that. Manage the players... they have to make sure different personalities/egos come together as a team...

No captain, Babar, Shaheen or anyone else, should have the power to drop or bring back a player
Why not? Captain has to take the maximum responsibility when the team loses. So they should get the players they want. When this gets bad is when captains are left unaccountable for 4 years. There needs to be a balance.

Even Usman Khan has been approached. It is good if all stakeholders are putting aside their egos and picking the best possible available players for Pakistan. Enough of the dosti yaari tuu mera match winner culture we saw during Babar's time.
Love to see this! Usman should come in as opener. Time for Fakhar and Rizwan to warm the bench.

What's there to talk about?

Simply ask him if he wants to make a comeback or not... there's no need to convince anyone.

What's there to talk about?

Simply ask him if he wants to make a comeback or not... there's no need to convince anyone.
He’s apparently asked for some gaurentees

Let’s see how this transpires

I don’t blame him, the only guys gaurenteed a spot regardless of performance is Shaheen, Babar and Rizwan

Is he? Has this been reported somewhere?
The person who broke the news is the one who also said Shaheen and Wahab Riaz have both contacted Imad

Shaheen wanted Imad to confirm his availability before the PSL but Imad said he will sit down and talk to him in detail after it.

Shaheen has been quietly doing his business behind the scenes. He will InshaAllah get Amir to come back too

I don’t blame him, the only guys gaurenteed a spot regardless of performance is Shaheen, Babar and Rizwan
Gurantee of his place in the team must be linked to his performance. If he keeps doing well he can stay in the team but one thing is for sure that the team's environment will be effected by his inclusion.

Last edited:
Hurantee

Gurantee of his place in the team must be linked to his performance. If he keeps doing well he can stay in the team but one thing is for sure that the team's environment will be effected by his inclusion.
No I think some players are above that now.

Sorry but the Pakistan team do not drop Babar for scoring below par scores then how can you have a different rule for all other players?

Imad Wasim plays every game in the World Cup just like Islamabad played him in every game and were rewarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
In an interview, Mark Butcher urged Imad Wasim to reconsider his international retirement for the T20 World Cup following his Player of the Match performance in the PSL final, he said:

“He’s unbelievably cool under fire, very very unemotional, reads pitch conditions very quickly, both bowling and batting. We saw him take all the pace off the ball, bowling in the final on a pitch which didn’t really turn if he fired it in, but would if you took the pace off and were brave in that regard.

“He was brave in the Eliminator, took two when they were five down against [Peshawar] Zalmi, dead and buried. Halfway through the tenth over I watched him very calmly nudge a ball just wide of extra cover and take one. I said on commentary at the time, this is the kind of batting that starts to scare the life out of you as a fielding captain, because he’s basically taking one every ball he faced and then inevitably a bad ball would come along and they were going at tens without taking any risks. And they won it with an over to spare, Haider Ali put his foot down at the back end and they won the game."

“It was so calculated and unemotional and so almost un-Pakistani in a way, that it was inevitable that they were going to take out that run chase. In all three innings in those knockout matches that they won back-to-back, his bowling was exactly the same. Very, very clever, very clam, read the conditions brilliantly, came out with figures of one, two, three for nothing at the end of three games. If you’re telling me there’s a better option than him, a utility player with experience and big-match temperament then I want to see him.”

“They really need a bit of chill, and I don’t know how many times you can prove it, that’s the point. You see a lot of players who’ve got flashy shots and bowl the odd brilliant delivery but then when the pressure comes on they kind of wilt. But he gets bigger the more difficult or the more pressure is on. You need guys like that in you team if you’re going to win big tournaments.”

The Pakistan Cricket Board has been in touch with Imad Wasim to discuss the possibility of him reversing his retirement from international cricket.

Imad's outstanding performance in PSL 9, where he scored 126 runs and took 12 wickets, played a crucial role in Islamabad United clinching their third PSL title.

Imad Wasim is being encouraged to reconsider his retirement plans, and discussions on the matter are ongoing.

Despite playing his last T20 International for Pakistan against New Zealand in Rawalpindi a year ago, Imad stated during an exclusive interview with Saj Sadiq, "You never know, I can take my retirement back."

So now let's see what happens.

What is your take on this? Do you want him to come out of retirement?
He has shown on current form he is an asset to the T20 side and hungry to perform.

In an interview, Mark Butcher urged Imad Wasim to reconsider his international retirement for the T20 World Cup following his Player of the Match performance in the PSL final, he said:

“He’s unbelievably cool under fire, very very unemotional, reads pitch conditions very quickly, both bowling and batting. We saw him take all the pace off the ball, bowling in the final on a pitch which didn’t really turn if he fired it in, but would if you took the pace off and were brave in that regard.

“He was brave in the Eliminator, took two when they were five down against [Peshawar] Zalmi, dead and buried. Halfway through the tenth over I watched him very calmly nudge a ball just wide of extra cover and take one. I said on commentary at the time, this is the kind of batting that starts to scare the life out of you as a fielding captain, because he’s basically taking one every ball he faced and then inevitably a bad ball would come along and they were going at tens without taking any risks. And they won it with an over to spare, Haider Ali put his foot down at the back end and they won the game."

“It was so calculated and unemotional and so almost un-Pakistani in a way, that it was inevitable that they were going to take out that run chase. In all three innings in those knockout matches that they won back-to-back, his bowling was exactly the same. Very, very clever, very clam, read the conditions brilliantly, came out with figures of one, two, three for nothing at the end of three games. If you’re telling me there’s a better option than him, a utility player with experience and big-match temperament then I want to see him.”

“They really need a bit of chill, and I don’t know how many times you can prove it, that’s the point. You see a lot of players who’ve got flashy shots and bowl the odd brilliant delivery but then when the pressure comes on they kind of wilt. But he gets bigger the more difficult or the more pressure is on. You need guys like that in you team if you’re going to win big tournaments.”
Great analysis by Butch.

Amir would be guaranteed a place in the XI alongside Naseem and Shaheen.

It seems the change of T20I skipper has resulted in both parties wanting to get Imad back in the Pakistan side.

I'm curious to know how Babar feels about this. Let us know if you hear anything on this.

As like most well wishers of Pakistan cricket, I hope Imad will take back his retirement so he can feature in the upcoming in the WT20.

BUT

He's well within his rights to demand a private and a public apology from Babar Azam, who not only wronged Imad but also Pakistan fans when he was excluded during his best years.

Personally, I don't think Imad should go to such lengths but if this is what he expects, he's not blameworthy by any stretch.

He's a very good fit for West Indian conditions and is a proven player there. His addition would create great depth for the team both with bat and ball.

Saw a video of him where he was critisizing his own team after the match against PZ. Guy is toxic and will be a problem for a new captain.

Hopefully he takes his retirement and than PCB still doesnt select him lol

The person who broke the news is the one who also said Shaheen and Wahab Riaz have both contacted Imad

Shaheen wanted Imad to confirm his availability before the PSL but Imad said he will sit down and talk to him in detail after it.

Shaheen has been quietly doing his business behind the scenes. He will InshaAllah get Amir to come back too
Amir is near to getting his UK nationality and be able to enlist himself for the IPL drafts for next season. Everyone knows that from the start of his career he preferred money over the country, so there is no way Amir will represent Pakistan when he is almost near to bagging millions in money from an IPL contract.

Saw a video of him where he was critisizing his own team after the match against PZ. Guy is toxic and will be a problem for a new captain.

Hopefully he takes his retirement and than PCB still doesnt select him lol

Meanwhile on Monday right after the final:

Should take his retirement back!

he won Islamabad all the play off games. Deserves praise and deserves to be in the Pakistan team

One thing he did prove and which matters alot is he has the mental ability to be able to absorb the pressure.
You do it once, its a fluke, do it twice, maybe that was luck.

But he did it 4 times on the trot. The best finish wasnt the one in the final even, it was the one in previous game where that allowed us to qaulify for the final. He kept his nerve and batted it out.

In interanational he did this against Afghanistan in the world cup. After doing this 4 times and 3 times in the play offs, he deserves a spot if he takes his retirement back.

Amir is near to getting his UK nationality and be able to enlist himself for the IPL drafts for next season. Everyone knows that from the start of his career he preferred money over the country, so there is no way Amir will represent Pakistan when he is almost near to bagging millions in money from an IPL contract.
Playing for Pakistan tomorrow won’t change his immigration status/being eligible for UK citizenship

I don't understand this...

It's not the captains job to approach players, not is it solely their job to select players...

Pakistan Cricket is run by bafoons.
Stokes reached out to Moeen for the Ashes. Then he pretty much selected Bashir for the test series in India. So I like that captain is taking the initiative to do what is best for the team in his opinion.

There are some rumours that Imad has kept 2 conditions to take his retirement back. Hope this is not true and just a rumour.

There are some rumours that Imad has kept 2 conditions to take his retirement back. Hope this is not true and just a rumour.
And PCB must not cater to any of them. Simple as that if he wants to play he should just take back his retirement and play like a normal player. There is no need to give him any extra protocol like he is the Don Bradman of cricket.

And PCB must not cater to any of them. Simple as that if he wants to play he should just take back his retirement and play like a normal player. There is no need to give him any extra protocol like he is the Don Bradman of cricket.
His demands most likely were that he wants no stress when applying for NOC’s for Hundred, CPL, BBL and ILT20

That’s his 4 big money makers. He will probably get those demands. It’s only fair

His demands most likely were that he wants no stress when applying for NOC’s for Hundred, CPL, BBL and ILT20

That’s his 4 big money makers. He will probably get those demands. It’s only fair
lets see what it comes out at the end, hopefully he will not ask for the captaincy in T20 WC :D

Playing for Pakistan tomorrow won’t change his immigration status/being eligible for UK citizenship
And you ignored the whole post.....

Playing for Pakistan will make him ineligible for an IPL contract. Knowing him, he would do anything for an IPL contract.

Well, he should have been the captain in the first place. He will be very good if the PCB actually do make him captain.

Should have become Pakistan’s white ball captain after the 2019 ODI WC.

I have no doubt Pakistan would have won either the 2021 or 2022 WT20 tournaments and boosted their chances of making the semis in the 2023 World Cup under his leadership.

And you ignored the whole post.....

Playing for Pakistan will make him ineligible for an IPL contract. Knowing him, he would do anything for an IPL contract.
Nope.

Having a Pakistani passport only makes him ineligible

Azhar Mahmood played for Punjab Kings as soon as he got his British Passport.

He can retire from Pakistan as soon as he’s got his British Passport, or maybe IPL owners could care less.

Well, he should have been the captain in the first place. He will be very good if the PCB actually do make him captain.
Yeah so good that he was 100% losing record when he captained against Australia D.

Against popular belief I don't think he batted well in last two matches (the ones I watched), they won those games bcs of power hitting of Haider Ali (E2) and Naseem Shah (final) (really!).. and he's not a power hitter at all.. he's more relying at placing the ball in gaps, and most often that'll be useless when power hitting need.. despite facing 98 deliveries he only hit 1 six in this psl..
Screenshot-2024-03-23-06-41-42-932-com-UCMobile-intl.jpg

Yeah so good that he was 100% losing record when he captained against Australia D.

You just exposed your agenda again by citing 100% in an attempt to deliberately magnify those two losses as captain, when he was deputising for Shoaib Malik.

The more you talk about Imad, the more obvious your agenda is for everyone to see.

I despise Misbah for what he’s done to ruin Pakistan cricket, but you’ll never see me refer to his 2013 CT, where he lost all 3 games for Pakistan, with hyperbole like “100% losing record” because this is exactly what an agenda looks like.

You also lied about his “smoking gestures” in the post-match presentation that took place after the PSL final.

You’re not doing yourself any favours with such hyperbole and false statements.

^add to that when he tries to hit big he often lost the shape..
Tbh he’s out on a bit of weight too and isn’t as intense as he was in 2023. Last year he was looking a lot more trim and that’s why he was getting a lot more shape when hitting the ball. He hit some sixes last year, was in excellent batting form. I think he needs to improve his fitness for sure. Can’t just rely on natural talent. He is calm and composed none the less

You just exposed your agenda again by citing 100% in an attempt to deliberately magnify his two losses as captain, when he was deputising for Shoaib Malik.

The more you talk about Imad, the more obvious your agenda is for everyone to see.

I despise Misbah for what he’s done to ruin Pakistan cricket, but you’ll never see me refer to his 2013 CT, where he lost all 3 games for Pakistan, with hyperbole like “100% losing record” because this is exactly what an agenda looks like.

You also lied about his “smoking gestures” in the post-match presentation that took place after the PSL final.

I don’t mind it. Whenever this guy spews hate, Imad comes back with serious performances and he has to start begging not to be humiliated

Oh this reminds me when someone claimed that in odi, Babar has an average of 88 in knockout stages when he's only played 2 knockout stages in his whole life that being champions trophy, but this logic fakhar has an average of 100+ and azhar Ali has an average of 90+ in knockout stages 😂😂

Using percentages for a sample size of two matches is the work of a con artist/fraudster.

Even dodgy sales people don’t go down this road.

I don't even get why people like major hate inad so much?

Major went on a rant in the past that the reason Misbah is such a good captain was because of his education and his degree.

Well imad was literally studying medicine before dropping out to pursue cricket. In the UK imad spent years getting good grades in gsce and A levels being a topper, he then spent a good amount of time getting his science degree and then went on for his 5 year med school jpurney before dropping out.

Imad has a degree and got accepted into a proper UK institution over misbah's pakistani institution, UMT isn't a bad uni, my dad has a friend who teaches their and he teaches in Luns and nust and he's verbatim said that the standards of Nust are far far higher then UMT.

Imad has studied in institutions far above that of Misbah or any in Pakistan for that matter.

So doesn't the same logic apply for imad then? Isn't he an intelligent, smart well educated captain who speaks English far better then shan could possibly dream of?.

Oh this reminds me when someone claimed that in odi, Babar has an average of 88 in knockout stages when he's only played 2 knockout stages in his whole life that being champions trophy, but this logic fakhar has an average of 100+ and azhar Ali has an average of 90+ in knockout stages 😂😂

This is even more hilarious. Neither of those two knocks resulted in a half century for Babar.

To see Babar’s 38 not out against England in the semi-final and 46 in the final of the 2017 CT being used to hype up his average in knockout stages is absurd.

I don't even get why people like major hate inad so much?

Major went on a rant in the past that the reason Misbah is such a good captain was because of his education and his degree.

Well imad was literally studying medicine before dropping out to pursue cricket. In the UK imad spent years getting good grades in gsce and A levels being a topper, he then spent a good amount of time getting his science degree and then went on for his 5 year med school jpurney before dropping out.

Imad has a degree and got accepted into a proper UK institution over misbah's pakistani institution, UMT isn't a bad uni, my dad has a friend who teaches their and he teaches in Luns and nust and he's verbatim said that the standards of Nust are far far higher then UMT.

Imad has studied in institutions far above that of Misbah or any in Pakistan for that matter.

So doesn't the same logic apply for imad then? Isn't he an intelligent, smart well educated captain who speaks English far better then shan could possibly dream of?.

Excellent overview of Imad’s superior education background.

From what I’ve been told by a reputable poster, Misbah attended a 3rd rate university in Pakistan.

I can see why Misbah fans hate on Imad and give him nazar.

You just exposed your agenda again by citing 100% in an attempt to deliberately magnify those two losses as captain, when he was deputising for Shoaib Malik.

Imad fans don't like facts and stats. They live in a universe of their own. Again I didn't lie about his smoking gestures I am not allowed to share links you can easily find them, might be difficult for you as a Imad fan.

I just stated a fact Imad has 100% loss record. Somehow this is agenda. Well tough for you this is something which can't be changed.

The more you talk about Imad the obvious it's gets you are no different to misbah fans how defend their hero as any cost.

This is even more hilarious. Neither of those two knocks resulted in a half century for Babar.

To see Babar’s 38 not out against England in the semi-final and 46 in the final of the 2017 CT being used to hype up his average in knockout stages is absurd.
Babar azam isn't a bad player. I don't mind babar at all in odi as a no 3.

The problem is Pakistani fans for some reason take a few classy innings that he has played over the years like his 196 in test, or his 68 not out against india and use that to justify him as the goat, by this logic fakhar is even more of a goat since fakhar has actually played proper ATG innings, but I don't hype fakhar up like he's the 2nd coming of Gilchrist.

99% of the time babar is an average accumulator who pretty much soft scores, and he doesn't even soft score or play as well as kane Williamson who is a far superior accumulator and can actually keep pace and not put burden on other batsmen around him like rachin or Devon Conway he keeps pace with them and makes sure to give them strike 90% of the time.

It's the same with fakhar, 80% of the time he's a liability but he's needed for the 20% X factor atg chance innings he tends to play, every 10 games he'll perform in atleast 3 and those 3 games are auto victories which is why he's needed.

Fans just don't want to accept this reality and hold babar up to be some modern era great when he isn't even close to players like quinton, Rachin, Maxwell etc.

It's the same with rizwan, I had an entire debate with someone just to prove why rizwan is not top 3 batsmen in the world just because anil kumble said so.

Excellent overview of Imad’s superior education background.

From what I’ve been told by a reputable poster, Misbah attended a 3rd rate university in Pakistan.

I can see why Misbah fans hate on Imad and give him nazar.
UMT is a good uni for Pakistani standards, my dad's friend teaches their along with other uni's.

It's a great engineering university. It shpuld still be top 10 uni's in Pakistan.

Problem with Pakistani universities compared to UK, Australian or US universities (I've studied in UK and aus uni's) is that Pakistani uni's can't get rid of the system of school, aka assignments, exams, rata bazi, traditional classrooms etc.

Whereas UK and aus uni's offer placement years where you get one year proper work experience, as well as having classes such as how to create a killer resume, proper career centers, actual job placement centers, like amazon frequently cones to my uni to hire or offer placement programs for work, as well as many assignments involving real projects, such as my design projects usually involve me making a demo reel.

For one of my assignments I was tasked to create a real life cgi choclate commercial, whereas in Pakistan I'd have been given an exam paper to do and would be doing some useless design theory from outdated books.

Pakistani education is a bit behind, and only NUST amd ITU seem to be taking initiatives and trying their best to adopt to proper standards. Quaid e azam University has also adopted to modern standards and lums is making a bit of progress.

But Pakistani universities are still a good 20 years behind the rest of the world atm.

UMT is a good uni for Pakistani standards, my dad's friend teaches their along with other uni's.

It's a great engineering university. It shpuld still be top 10 uni's in Pakistan.

Problem with Pakistani universities compared to UK, Australian or US universities (I've studied in UK and aus uni's) is that Pakistani uni's can't get rid of the system of school, aka assignments, exams, rata bazi, traditional classrooms etc.

Whereas UK and aus uni's offer placement years where you get one year proper work experience, as well as having classes such as how to create a killer resume, proper career centers, actual job placement centers, like amazon frequently cones to my uni to hire or offer placement programs for work, as well as many assignments involving real projects, such as my design projects usually involve me making a demo reel.

For one of my assignments I was tasked to create a real life cgi choclate commercial, whereas in Pakistan I'd have been given an exam paper to do and would be doing some useless design theory from outdated books.

Pakistani education is a bit behind, and only NUST amd ITU seem to be taking initiatives and trying their best to adopt to proper standards. Quaid e azam University has also adopted to modern standards and lums is making a bit of progress.

But Pakistani universities are still a good 20 years behind the rest of the world atm.
Edit: Just to clarify, Pakistani universities are extremely good in traditional degrees like medicine, etc, traditional mechanical engineering etc.

It's the newer degrees like programming, design, Aerospace engineering etc where it lacks behind.

I agree it is absurd what do you say about Imad 25 runs in CT final? According to some it was match winning. Isn't this absurd too?

Should have become Pakistan’s white ball captain after the 2019 ODI WC.

I have no doubt Pakistan would have won either the 2021 or 2022 WT20 tournaments and boosted their chances of making the semis in the 2023 World Cup under his leadership.
I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

He has a below 50% win rate in PSL as captain of Karachi Kings and couldn’t keep the job, but somehow he would have led us to winning a WC which is 100x harder?

Why does everyone always go from one extreme to the completely opposite extreme? People are talking about Imad Wasim as if he’s Gary Sobers, yet he averages 15 with the bat in T20. He’s not even as good as Sikandar Raza, Shakib, Pandya, etc all of which are all better all rounders who have not been able to lead their team to a T20 WC.

Maybe his batting would have helped in the 2023 WC, but his bowling in Asia in ODI is horrible and literally worse than Nawaz and Shadab.

Back