[PICTURES] England beat Sri Lanka by an innings and 88 runs in the first Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loool England prefer it when there underdogs. They don't like being the favourites in series where they are expected to lose cook always highlights how being the underdog will work in Englands favour need to change that mentality

1422300609719.jpg

Called it.

Weather plays a big part. Always get a bit of cloud cover which assists seamers.

Of course. I think the ball doesn't move like that in the air anywhere else in the world.

Think they use Duke balls in England... is that a factor as well? Does it swing way more than Kookaburra and SG?

Of course. I think the ball doesn't move like that in the air anywhere else in the world.

Think they use Duke balls in England... is that a factor as well? Does it swing way more than Kookaburra and SG?

I've always been lead to believe that the dukes ball doesnt do much for actually making more swing but it helps prolong the swing due to the much more pronounced and therefore durable seam.

Kookaburra goes soft after 20 overs and easier for batsmen to face. It does not offer the lateral movement, in the air and off the pitch, that can be obtained with the Dukes which is also more durable.

This morning of test cricket > Whole of IPL

A treat to watch
Each of his own really. For me Virat Kohli's innings yesterday surpasses this boring 70/4 in 30 overs by a huge margin. And if crowd attendance is a clue...no prize for guessing what maximum people thinks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Each of his own really. For me Virat Kohli's innings yesterday surpasses this boring 70/4 in 30 overs by a huge margin. And if crowd attendance is a clue...no prize for guessing what maximum people thinks.

If you find this morning of test cricket boring, I dont think you have any clue about test cricket and people should not argue about things about which they know nothing.

I would've loved Virat's innings more too if there had been a semblance of balance between the bat and the ball yesterday night.

The Eng vs SL scorecard is why we love Test cricket

This is so hilarious and beautiful.

We have the underdog Sri Lankans knocking off some quality batsmen, we have Hales digging in and making a stand like a lone warrior, we have Ben Stokes smoking 3 sixes then getting caught by captain Mathews...

But the funny thing is, you still can't predict how this match will turn out. England might slowly pile on a respectable total and Sri Lanka may suffer their own collapse.

Bring on the summer.

more snaps

Attachments

• DSC03010.jpg
    DSC03010.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC03011.jpg
    DSC03011.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC03012.jpg
    DSC03012.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC03013.jpg
    DSC03013.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC03014.jpg
    DSC03014.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC03015.jpg
    DSC03015.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 347
How is this beautiful test cricket when English are playing swing in their home like Indians?Its not like English are facing Marshal-Holding or Wasim-Waqar.

How is this beautiful test cricket when English are playing swing in their home like Indians?Its not like English are facing Marshal-Holding or Wasim-Waqar.

They need to dig in and survive in difficult conditions. Never easy to bat first at Headingley.

This is the beauty of it. But each to their own of course :)

They need to dig in and survive in difficult conditions. Never easy to bat first at Headingley.

This is the beauty of it. But each to their own of course :)

Exactly which they are not so how is competitive cricket which is what test cricket is laid out to be and being called beautiful here.

Exactly which they are not so how is competitive cricket which is what test cricket is laid out to be and being called beautiful here.

Hales has made an uncharacteristically slow 50 and the current pair have put on a 50 partnership.

Hales has made an uncharacteristically slow 50 and the current pair have put on a 50 partnership.

Agree watching his innings only hopefully makes a well deserved ton if not the test isn't that good.

Proper Test cricket so far.

Hopefully we can get up to 220 and ask some brutish questions of the Sri Lankan batsmen.

England were overwhelming favourites heading into this series. Sri Lankan bowlers may not be household names but they've used the conditions well like they did at Headingley in 2014.

The match has ebbed and flowed nicely with England starting well, Sri Lanka then tearing into the batting lineup, now Hales-Bairstow are leading a recovery.

Not saying its Edgbaston 2005 or Kolkata 2001 epic in the making but its a good contest.

More pics including Bairstow reaching 50

Attachments

• DSC03016.jpg
    DSC03016.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC03017.jpg
    DSC03017.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC03018.jpg
    DSC03018.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 297
this morning Bumble said "Herath is obviously someone who doesn't like training!" as the little man stood there with his pot belly on show.

England were overwhelming favourites heading into this series. Sri Lankan bowlers may not be household names but they've used the conditions well like they did at Headingley in 2014.

The match has ebbed and flowed nicely with England starting well, Sri Lanka then tearing into the batting lineup, now Hales-Bairstow are leading a recovery.

Not saying its Edgbaston 2005 or Kolkata 2001 epic in the making but its a good contest.

Good 2nd Session,not great 1st one no fight then from England, 171/5

88 off 21 overs for the 6th wicket partnership... England are slowly getting back into it. Hales has been quite solid and Bairstow aggressive. SL need to break this partnership as early as possible to keep the advantage.

Eng bat deep. Real deep. Should be able to get 300+ from here I would think. That'll be 150+ more than what our lot could handle :uakmal

Looking forward to seeing Amir run through the English (hopefully).

Bairstow and hales will look to accelerate soon. England can still get 350 with the depth of batting they have

Good 100 from Bairstow, hes been in incredible form in the last 12 months, expect he'll start hitting out a bit more now with the tail.

Great ton from Bairstow. The sun's out, its a good time to bat, SL need to mop up this tail quickly.

England will still win their bowling is their strength and Lankan batting is weak

Mikey is off on one here ! Great rant on state of West Indies cricket.

Sky and BBC paying tribute to Tony Cozier during the lunch break.

Finn on 8 off 39.

That's all you have to do as a tailender. Be able to survive and allow your senior batsmen to farm the strike, adding crucial runs.

Our tail however are a sitting duck and contribute so little. Need to improve that this summer.

Not sure our batting order is correct, Bairstow has an extremely high level of capability and should certainly be coming in higher than 7.

Not sure our batting order is correct, Bairstow has an extremely high level of capability and should certainly be coming in higher than 7.

If Buttler returns after the IPL and gets a couple of scores in the county championship before the Pakistan series I can really see us slotting him in at 7, Bairstow up to 5 with Vince or Root moving up to 3.

Don't have much faith in Compton scoring many this series.

Last edited:
Wonder who will be doing short leg duty with no Taylor and Bairstow behind the stumps?

I don't get Compton. Never have.

He won't last IMO.

Karunaratne gone. Good angle by Broad around the wicket.

Playing at a ball wide of off stump, head falling over....Karunaratne's struggle comes to an end.

Broad and Anderson unreal in these conditions. Broad just seems to keep getting better and better. Think he will surpass Jimmy

Broad got these Sri Lanka youngster beauties fishing :yk2. Finn hasn't even come on yet :))

Jesus Christ.

SOS to Mathews once again !

Pakistani top order are watching this from behind the sofa.

SL top order is a joke. Openers with averages of 34 and 31 playing mostly on flat wickets in Sri Lanka and a number 3 with a FC average of 31. Did they really think they had a chance?

Chandimal and Mathews have to come in at 3 and 4 in these conditions. Can't have three hacks in a row at the top.

Chandimal and Mathews look a bit more comfortable. Hope I don't jinx them now :))

Good to see Vince bowling with a speed gun for once, bit quicker than I thought he was at late 70mphs. Given the batsmen struggled a bit with his height and bounce I think we'll see Finn on shortly after tea.

In other news, all of Pakistan's top order has reported injured at the camp. They were last seen watching Sri Lanka batting in the first test.

To be fair, it is Headingley under the clouds on a cold May afternoon. It should be warmer later this summer and bit easier for batting.

Beautiful drive from Thirimanne.

Angelo Mathews must have a hernia from carrying this Sri Lankan batting lineup on his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back