[PICTURES/VIDEOS] IPL 2024 discussion

Which side will win the IPL trophy this season?

• Total voters
Team like RCB covers up his weaknesses (Even Indian team has passengers and he covers behind them brilliantly!) Put him to CSK team, that management will screw him & demands to perform (like get down the batting lineup at No.4 or lower like Dhoni who bats at No.8 - a kind of role which may hurt his ego)
Whenever a wicket falls he will score even more slowly. He is also a guy that will stop showing intent once pp os over.. Needlessly will try to bat through. Others takes risk and perishes.

This is why we never want kohli. He won't get out too. He will stay there.
I am okay with him striking around 150-160 in middle order.

As an opener, Kohli is extremely poor. He neither scores aggressively, nor gets out. He plays T20 like an ODI.

I am okay with him striking around 150-160 in middle order.

As an opener, Kohli is extremely poor. He neither scores aggressively, nor gets out. He plays T20 like an ODI.
When did he go at 150 160 in middle overs. Last few years below 130

Whenever a wicket falls he will score even more slowly. He is also a guy that will stop showing intent once pp os over.. Needlessly will try to bat through. Others takes risk and perishes.
Exactly what I wanted to tell... All those points are correct... Slows down when wicket falls, when PP is over, when wickets fall... Typical ODI/Test thinking... Such players should set aside their ego and take a secondary role in the format which doesn't belong to them (he should not be opening. No.4 is the highest position for him to bat if at all he wants to play in this format... That is where an anchor if at all is needed in a T20 game... T20 is a format where 1st 6 overs they should go berserk, and continue that onslaught even from 7th over relentlessly putting pressure on opponents. If at all they want to change this, they should prepare spicy pitches, which is not going to happen! Only then openers will need to play cautiously!)

Exactly what I wanted to tell... All those points are correct... Slows down when wicket falls, when PP is over, when wickets fall... Typical ODI/Test thinking... Such players should set aside their ego and take a secondary role in the format which doesn't belong to them (he should not be opening. No.4 is the highest position for him to bat if at all he wants to play in this format... That is where an anchor if at all is needed in a T20 game... T20 is a format where 1st 6 overs they should go berserk, and continue that onslaught even from 7th over relentlessly putting pressure on opponents. If at all they want to change this, they should prepare spicy pitches, which is not going to happen! Only then openers will need to play cautiously!)
This probably was an acceptable template 10 years back. Definitely not now. You only have 120 balls. If you are scared of collapse without trusting your middle order the. You should come down the order and let them have a go.

Patidar is the most consistent and reliable (Top-Order) batsman for RCB, he should take all the limelight (perhaps even open the innings - there is no issue of movement with new ball - it is all about hitting - at least on Flat Indian Pitches). RCB management should think in this way, instead of chanting Kohli-Kohli and praise his orange cap! Even CSK does that (chanting Dhoni, Dhoni - but smartly puts him in the position where he belongs - and others take up the show! And more importantly Dhoni obliges to this... But Kohli is the big egoistic person he fails to accept this & keeps thinking that what he does is fine for the team, and he is the best!)

Now the anchor Kohli will guide RCB towards 190 retaining his orange cup which will then be chased down by Head, Klaasen & co in 15 overs! Kohli brand will flourish further...

Now the anchor Kohli will guide RCB towards 190 retaining his orange cup which will then be chased down by Head, Klaasen & co in 15 overs! Kohli brand will flourish further...
Even for that (190) he will need the aid of DK or Lomror to play the cameo...

I know RCB bowlers will get all the blame (and Kohli will hide behind them). But it is not like other teams are not conceding 200, 250+ runs and losing the matches! It has to be remembered that RCB bowlers at least won them a match by restricting opposition below 180 in one of the earlier matches (it is the only match RCB has won so far!)

Can't blame Kohli. Blud knows RCB is not gonna get any trophy anyway let me just get some orange caps. He anyway cannot play at 200 strike rate after pp.
These all classy batsmen should be told to play odi and test only.

What an inning by former Kaptaan!

A fifty!

:salute

Now it's s over to bowlers to do the easy part. :afridi

Can't blame Kohli. Blud knows RCB is not gonna get any trophy anyway let me just get some orange caps. He anyway cannot play at 200 strike rate after pp.
These all classy batsmen should be told to play odi and test only.
Corporates / Sponsors won't agree to this... Hence a balance is needed... Such players should play but they should be restrained... That's where franchisee/owners role comes into play... He should bat at No.4, in that way at least he will not bat in the powerplay (unless there is a collapse, then by all means he can do his anchor job) and he will at least rotate and give the strike back to set batsman. Batting at No.4, it is OK if he ends up scoring like 43 (30) in the middle overs. But opening and eating the powerplay balls and ending up 51 (43) or even 100 (69) is not permissible in today's demands!

What if Babar Azam had scored 51 runs in 43 balls on a pitch like Hyderabad?
Problem is Babar has not achieved at least half of what Kohli has achieved in international cricket! Kohli is without doubt a proper legend of the game... It is our internal problem (what Kohli has been doing to Indian Cricket in past few years), why Babar or any Pakistani batsman has to be brought into this, I don't know!

To answer your question, if Babar does this, he will be benched (if he is playing for any IPL franchisee) because there are enough blistering overseas batsmen to occupy the only 4 overseas players slot! On the other hand RCB will still play Kohli even if scores hat-trick 0(0) in a season!

Sucks for Samson if Pant scores big and is in the squad for WCT20.
Sanju's best format is odi, in T20 there's already too many top order bats for India, so he won't get a chance there.. and finisher role is a hit or miss job and if he failed there (if selected) it'll jeopardize his odi chances too..

Will be yet another failed WT20 for us courtesy this good for nothing prima donna, Kohli.

This is the problem with RCB. Look how they are celebrating these wickets. They are abusing players, fans are jumping and kicking seats, and they are telling SRH fans to be silent by putting fingers on their lips. They literally celebrate wins as if they have won the cup. Bro, you are 10th on the points table. Have some shame.

More importantly why is Virat swearing after every wicket. This guy is a sore loser for RCB. Virat represents every rcbian.

Sanju's best format is odi, in T20 there's already too many top order bats for India, so he won't get a chance there.. and finisher role is a hit or miss job and if he failed there (if selected) it'll jeopardize his odi chances too..
Sanju should be in middle order. Not as a finisher.

Playing T20's will always have its risks. A couple of bad forced shots and the player will be branded a failure. But then again, it is the place where household names are made.

Who is that commentator who keep saying reviewing wides is time wasting? He's absolutely wrong there.. there's too many times it had big impact on match results when wide is given or given ( I mean wrong call)... And how it is time wasting? If they failed the review they lost a review, they're not reviewing it free..

Rajat Patidar's explosive fifty and a collective effort from the spinners set up Royal Challengers Bengaluru's 35-run win over Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL 2024 game on Thursday, bringing an end to their six-match losing streak. Patidar's 50 off 20 balls stood in stark contrast to Virat Kohli's measured 51 off 43 balls as RCB put up 206 for seven after opting to bat.

For a team that has breached the 250-run mark thrice this season, the target was very gettable. However, the in-form SRH batting line-up could not deliver on this occasion and ended at 171 for eight in 20 overs.

Who is that commentator who keep saying reviewing wides is time wasting? He's absolutely wrong there.. there's too many times it had big impact on match results when wide is given or given ( I mean wrong call)... And how it is time wasting? If they failed the review they lost a review, they're not reviewing it free..
The ever annoying Gavaskar...

IPL: The batting blitz turning cricket into baseball

There's been carnage and plunder in the Indian Premier League (IPL), the world's richest cricket tournament, this year.

At grounds across the country, batters are throwing caution to the winds, unleashing big shots without mercy and turning virtually every match into a six-hitting festival. This is leaving bowlers hapless, confounding experts and fans about where Twenty20 cricket is headed.

Look at some of the numbers highlighting the batting mayhem witnessed so far.

After the 39th match of the season between Chennai Super Kings and Lucknow Super Giants on Tuesday night, a total of 1,191 fours and 686 sixes had been struck.

In comparison, IPL 2023 recorded 2,174 fours and 1,124 sixes. Even with less than half the current season remaining, it's reasonable to expect last year's figures to be easily exceeded.

The increase in fours and sixes has correspondingly boosted team totals.

In the early IPL seasons, a score of 150-160 was deemed competitive, but today it often leads to defeat in eight out of 10 games. To illustrate the shift in scoring patterns, consider Yuvraj Singh's six sixes off Stuart Broad in the inaugural T20 World Cup in 2007, where India totalled 218 - a monumental achievement at the time. However, 16 years later, team scores of 200 have become routine.

In the 39 matches of this IPL season up to Tuesday, teams have surpassed the 200-run mark 19 times. Aggregate scores have exceeded 400 runs nine times, with two matches astonishingly surpassing 500 runs!

There's more.

The average run rate this season hovers around 10 per over.

Unfancied Sunrisers Hyderabad, who have been in record-breaking overdrive since the start of the season, clobbered an unprecedented 125 runs in the first powerplay (six overs) against Delhi Capitals which translates into a mind-boggling 20.83 runs per over.

The Sunrisers have scored more than 250 runs in an innings thrice this season, with a whopping 287 against Royal Challengers Bangalore, an IPL record suggesting that the 300-run landmark is in danger of being overhauled, perhaps this season itself.

T20 cricket, by nature, guarantees high-octane action. Batting demands relentless stroke play, where even a dot ball is unacceptable. Batters are tasked with maximising run value per delivery, granting them unrestricted freedom to hit. Despite the risks that this strategy brings, the run-scoring, fuelled by boundaries and sixes, has been exceptional this season.

What's influencing such explosive batting?

Flat pitches for one.

As a thumb rule, pitches for white-ball cricket, ODIs and T20, are curated to be benign, rather than "sporting" the world over. Because T20 holds out the promise of spectacular action, big shots have become a staple of the format - for fans, broadcasters and sponsors - and everything is done to facilitate this. Unlike in other T20 leagues, the IPL takes this seriously enough to ensure that pitches remain strongly batting friendly.

However flat tracks are not the only hurdle bowlers face.

Batters have become fitter, stronger, and more importantly, adventurous, particularly young players weaned on T20 in their formative years. They take more risks, attempt more spectacular feats to win matches, to stave off competition or for greater recognition and reward.

Some rule changes have also contributed in diminishing the role of bowlers.

For instance, the introduction of the Impact Substitute this IPL season has afforded coaches and captains the option of bringing in a player at an opportune time. It's an interesting improvisation, and even a bowler can be brought in as an Impact Sub. But the trend so far favours players who extend batting depth and heft.

An old cliché goes that cricket is a batter's game. But whether this growing imbalance between bat and ball is good for even T20 is the hot debate on the cricket circuit currently.

Interestingly, former India captain and batting great Sunil Gavaskar puts his weight behind bowlers in this scenario. "If it gets so-one-sided, it takes away from the contest, reduces interest," he says.

Gavaskar's big peeve is about the boundary distance being reduced from the conventional 75 yards to 65 or even lesser.

"A bowler forces a mistake from the batsman but is penalised because the boundary has been brought in. What could have been a catch results in six runs!" he fumes.

Given the proficiency of modern bats, even mishits can travel considerable distances, justifying Gavaskar's concern.

Equally intriguingly, former South African pace bowling great Dale Steyn sees the situation as one which challenges the skills and temperament of bowlers. "There's opportunity and incentive for bowlers to become heroes in four overs," says Steyn.

T20 skill sets and mindsets have shifted dramatically from the orthodox and continue to evolve. This demands players across all departments to be dynamic, proactive, and creative.

But the balance between bat and ball has to tend towards equal if T20 is not to become a fusion of golf and baseball masquerading as cricket.

BBC

Former Pakistan pacer Wasim Akram revealed the bizarre schedule of West Indies stars Sunil Narine and Andre Russell when the two players are in India for the country's marquee T20 event IPL. He told during an interview with digital sports media platform:

"When I was a part of KKR, I would wake up early for breakfast. Sunil Narine came for breakfast with swollen eyes. I asked him, 'Hey mate! What's happening?' I tried for a West Indies accent, but it did not come out that way. It sounded like a British or Aussie accent."

"So, yeah, I asked him why he looked tired. He said I haven't slept. I said what do you mean I haven't slept. He said I am on West Indies time. I asked him to explain. Sunil said he stays up at night and sleeps in the day. Even Andre Russell, I think he does the same thing. These guys sleep in the day during IPL and stay up whole night."

Kolkata Knight Riders vs Punjab Kings, 42nd Match​

Punjab Kings have won the toss and have opted to field

Kolkata Knight Riders (Playing XI): Philip Salt(w), Sunil Narine, Angkrish Raghuvanshi, Shreyas Iyer(c), Venkatesh Iyer, Rinku Singh, Andre Russell, Ramandeep Singh, Dushmantha Chameera, Varun Chakaravarthy, Harshit Rana

Punjab Kings (Playing XI): Jonny Bairstow, Sam Curran(c), Rilee Rossouw, Jitesh Sharma(w), Shashank Singh, Ashutosh Sharma, Harpreet Brar, Harshal Patel, Kagiso Rabada, Rahul Chahar, Arshdeep Singh

The likes of Rabada and Nortje are getting destroyed in this IPL. Really poor bowling from Rabada.

I think Narine's longevity & effectiveness in T20 is comparable to that of Sachin Tendulkar (in Tests & ODIs). He is going on & on...

Today might be the day we see 300+
Punjab is another hapless team like RCB in most seasons...

Not sure if I'm enjoying 220+ in every match, this is becoming way too monotonous. I'd like to see more bowling friendly wickets here. They've gone too far with flat wickets and 12 players.

Not sure if I'm enjoying 220+ in every match, this is becoming way too monotonous. I'd like to see more bowling friendly wickets here. They've gone too far with flat wickets and 12 players.
this is monotonous & a month 2 go of mickey mouse cricket .... 203/3 & 27 balls left - wt fudge !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that 12 players (impact rule) should be removed first... Then at least teams will be worried & concentrated in preparing a balanced team!

India will be going into the world t20 with the worst bowling attack.

Instead of impact player, they can grant 1 extra over to two bowlers (5 overs each), so that whoever is bowling well on a given day can make the most of it... This way some kind of balance can be tilted towards bowlers... (e.g., If there is dew as in 2nd innings of a night game, pacers can bowl extra overs instead of spinners. Likewise if its 1st innings of D/N match, spinners can bowl extra overs)

Almost every match there is this 250+ score, seriously what is the point and what are we gaining out of this?

Even Rohit Sharma has said the same thing that we are unnecessarily complicating things by this Impact players and such flat decks all in the name of entertainment.

Many IPL seasons of the past were well balanced between bat and ball, were they not entertaining then? This is turning out to be a complete circus, monotonous and boring.

this is monotonous & a month 2 go of mickey mouse cricket .... 203/3 & 27 balls left - wt fudge !!!
Yes mate, pretty much my point... And what exactly are we gaining out of this? If anything this will backfire big time should the pitches in WI and USA be bowling friendly, because these players will be coming off batting on some of the flattest decks and will struggle to adjust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kolkata Knight Riders 261/6

Punjab Kings (18.4/20 overs) 262/2

PBKS won by 8 wickets (with 8 balls remaining)

Biggest chase in T20 history, and they did it with 8 balls remaining

Jonny Bairstow starred as Punjab Kings registered a world record against Kolkata Knight Riders at Eden Gardens on Friday. The opener anchored the PBKS innings with an unbeaten 108 off 48 as the side scripted history with the highest-ever successful chase in T20s. Chasing a mammoth target of 262, PBKS reached home in 18.4 overs.

Earlier, KKR scored an imposing 261 for 6 after getting an invitation to bat first. KKR rode on a 138-run partnership between openers Phil Salt (75 off 37 balls) and Sunil Narine (71 off 32 balls). However, the night belonged to PBKS, who dominated the game in the second innings and eventually sealed an 8-wicket win.

Almost every match there is this 250+ score, seriously what is the point and what are we gaining out of this?

Even Rohit Sharma has said the same thing that we are unnecessarily complicating things by this Impact players and such flat decks all in the name of entertainment.

Many IPL seasons of the past were well balanced between bat and ball, were they not entertaining then? This is turning out to be a complete circus, monotonous and boring.
Sharma ji still cannot score runs on these flat wickets.

tbh, a lot of talk about how these ipl pitches suck
i kind of like the high scoring games from an entertainment perspective

Death bowling is just impossible right now. There is nothing the bowlers can do if the batsmen are in the mood. Anything around 15 RPO in the last 5 is pretty achievable

Back