[PICTURES/VIDEOS] IPL 2024 discussion

Which side will win the IPL trophy this season?

• Total voters
Padikkal was supposed to be the next big thing from India. Shows how badly he has fallen. Plays like a tailender in Tests now.

Poor from Pathirana.

Padikkal was struggling and playing a match losing knock. Pathirana knocks him over and now it brings Pooran.

With dew setting in...can LSG make it a close contest?

87 req off 36 balls

Cricket is very fast changing game now a days tbh
But how can someone become so bad in 2 years is the question. He was playing like a dream just 2 seasons ago. Now he looks like he cannot play fast bowling at all. Looks late on the shots and pretty much batting like a Left handed Walsh.

What a knock from Stoinis. Did not even break a sweat in that effortless match winning hundred. :viv

One of the greatest T20 hundreds, to take them to victory chasing 210 when they were 88 in the first 10 overs is exceptional.

Chennai Super Kings 210/4

Lucknow Super Giants (19.3/20 overs) 213/4

LSG won by 6 wickets (with 3 balls remaining)

But how can someone become so bad in 2 years is the question. He was playing like a dream just 2 seasons ago. Now he looks like he cannot play fast bowling at all. Looks late on the shots and pretty much batting like a Left handed Walsh.
Something is definitely wrong. He had Jaiswal like early reading of length.

Now he is reacting half a second later than required of the level. Total reset before Ranji season is needed to save his game.

Marcus Stoinis played a bustling unbeaten hundred, offering a perfect counterpoint to Ruturaj Gaikwad's classy century. Stoinis scored 124 runs off 63 balls, including 13 fours and 6 sixes, guiding Lucknow Super Giants to a stunning six-wicket win over Chennai Super Kings in their IPL match on Tuesday. His remarkable innings helped the Super Giants achieve the highest chase of 211 at the Chepauk in IPL, finishing at 213 for four.

On the other hand, Ruturaj Gaikwad scored 108 runs off 60 balls, with 12 fours and 3 sixes, while Shivam Dube contributed a brisk 66 off 27 balls, featuring 3 fours and 7 sixes. The duo added 104 runs for the fourth-wicket partnership, propelling the Super Kings to a competitive total of 210 for four.

Lucknow Super Giants also secured a rare back-to-back home and away win over Chennai, having won the previous match at the Ekana Stadium just a few days earlier.

Australian batting great Ricky Ponting on Tuesday hailed the Indian Premier League as the world's best domestic T20 competition "by a long way", saying it is one of the best places to learn for talented youngsters such as Jake Fraser-McGurk.

Ponting, Delhi Capitals' head coach, was in awe of Fraser-McGurk who sizzled with an 18-ball 65 against Sunrisers Hyderabad, even as his team lost the match by 67 runs.

"There is no doubt about it that he (Fraser-McGurk) is a highly talented young man but he is by no means a finished product yet. There is a lot of things to improve in his game and there are not many best places to learn than IPL because it is the best domestic T20 competition in the world by a long way," Ponting said.

"The other day he made 65 off 18 balls but it is important he learns from that. He needs to make a 100 like (Yashasvi) Jaiswal did last night.

"Top-order batsmen, when they get opportunity to make big scores, they should go and get it, that's the difference between winning and losing games," the World Cup-winning Australian skipper added.

Ponting said execution in all departments matters a lot and and they can't falter at the start, like they did in their last match against Sunrisers Hyderabad.

Opting to field, the DC bowlers were taken to the cleaners by Travid Head and Abhishek Sharma, the SRH openers putting on a record power play score of 125 for no loss. SRH eventually finished at 266/7 to win the match by a huge margin.

"The important thing is to look back and understand what things worked for us and what didn't work.

"We didn't probably play as well under pressure as we would have liked. We knew the way Travis and Abhishek will come out and play, we planned for it but we got a little bit confused what we were trying to do," Ponting said on the eve of DC's match against Gujarat Titans.

"Leaving the power play we did a really good job in the whole game, the last 14 overs to restrict them to 266 was actually a pretty good effort. And our batting in the last couple of overs we were on track.

"So there are positives to take from that game but we can't start a game of cricket like that, we can't be that far off from execution because in this competition, against good players, these things will count," he added.

Coming back to Fraser-McGurk, Ponting expressed his desire to work with the 22-year-old and help him polish his skills.

"He is learning and I would like to work with him more for the next couple of years. He is just a terrific kid. He has simple game plan, hit the first ball for 6, second ball for 6, and we are letting him go and play as he wants to," he said.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link: https://www.telegraphindia.com/spor...world-by-a-long-way-ricky-ponting/cid/2015305

Ponting also talked highly of young wicketkeeper-batter Abishek Porel, who played a few cameos for DC while coming in as an impact player.

"We have seen Porel on a couple of occasions going in at No. 3. I think he is a future star. He has got real talent.

"He is still leaning every day, he is learning about his training, he is learning about different phases of the game," the coach said.​

Stoinis another man who looked clueless & toothless while playing for RCB :confused:

Toss Update:

Delhi Capitals vs Gujarat Titans, 40th Match

Gujarat Titans opt to bowl

Toss Update:

Delhi Capitals vs Gujarat Titans, 40th Match

Gujarat Titans opt to bowl
Delhi Capitals (Playing XI): Prithvi Shaw, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Abishek Porel, Shai Hope, Rishabh Pant(w/c), Tristan Stubbs, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Anrich Nortje, Khaleel Ahmed, Mukesh Kumar

Gujarat Titans (Playing XI): Wriddhiman Saha(w), Shubman Gill(c), David Miller, Azmatullah Omarzai, Rahul Tewatia, Shahrukh Khan, Rashid Khan, Ravisrinivasan Sai Kishore, Noor Ahmad, Mohit Sharma, Sandeep Warrier

This is how you bat in powerplay. No half measures.

Imagine Head and McGurk opening in a T20 for Australia in WC. It will be fireworks from Ball 1.

Meanwhile India may go with Rohit and God forbid Kohli as openers.

This is how you bat in powerplay. No half measures.

Imagine Head and McGurk opening in a T20 for Australia in WC. It will be fireworks from Ball 1.

Meanwhile India may go with Rohit and God forbid Kohli as openers.
IND is not in top 4 teams with the likely 11 they will select .

IND is not in top 4 teams with the likely 11 they will select .
If India can go with Abhishek and Jaiswal as openers, it will be a different side. But the selectors will not have the guts to change the batting order or even drop Rohit.
The core of Rohit, Kohli, Hardik have lost so many finals, but the selectors will not learn. Its all about big names.

If India can go with Abhishek and Jaiswal as openers, it will be a different side. But the selectors will not have the guts to change the batting order or even drop Rohit.
The core of Rohit, Kohli, Hardik have lost so many finals, but the selectors will not learn. Its all about big names.
true Champa Seth , the malady lies in selecting those not good enough now & Pandu is a big time fraud imo !

Hope is a bigger worthless than Chris Jordan. Both are absolutely useless, but somehow successfully sell themselves as T20 players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor captaincy by Gill

Sai Sudharshan 19th over?

What’s the point of destroying this guy’s career?

There is so much Non-Indian feel good happiness (a bit like Aussie fearless attitude) that Pant insists in me! No other Indian Cricketer ever in the entire history has given me so much assurance! A must be man in any ICC tournament (badly missed in World Cup, would have scored when it mattered unlike the timid KL Rahul) Missed even in WCC Finals... Now don't make the mistake by not selecting him and consider others over him (Kishan, Rahul, DK, Samson, etc...)

There is so much Non-Indian feel good happiness (a bit like Aussie fearless attitude) that Pant insists in me! No other Indian Cricketer ever in the entire history has given me so much assurance! A must be man in any ICC tournament (badly missed in World Cup, would have scored when it mattered unlike the timid KL Rahul) Missed even in WCC Finals... Now don't make the mistake by not selecting him and consider others over him (Kishan, Rahul, DK, Samson, etc...)
Pant has this "don't care" attitude in him. When it comes good, he will look amazing. When he fails, it will look like the guy is not interested in batting.

Innings Break

Delhi Capitals 224/4 in 20 overs (R Pant 88*, A Patel 66) against Gujarat Titans in an IPL 2024 game

"It is illegal to score 100 runs in 5 overs" - Wasim Akram says he is lucky he is not playing cricket as a bowler right now

"It is illegal to score 100 runs in 5 overs" - Wasim Akram says he is lucky he is not playing cricket as a bowler right now

Wasim Akram has expressed his gratitude to God for allowing him to have a successful career as a bowler before the T20 era started. He feels that scoring 100 runs in five overs of any cricket game is illegal.Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH)'s openers Travis Head and Abhishek Sharma destroyed Delhi Capitals' bowling lineup last Saturday at the Arun Jaitley Stadium. The duo added 125 runs in the six-over powerplay.

Appearing as a guest on Sportskeeda Cricket's Match Ki Baat show, Wasim Akram said that the batting skills have evolved so much now that the bowlers are just getting paid to get destroyed by them.
team flag.

"Thank God, I am not playing cricket in this era. I mean they are scoring 270 in 20 overs. It's like 450 or 500 in a 50-over game. If it happened once, it was okay, but this has happened three-four times, which shows how strong the batting is," Akram said.

"It is illegal to score 100 runs in 5 overs. How can this happen? Even if you bowl full-tosses, it is tough to do it. For bowlers, it has become like take money and get destroyed here. I feel for the bowlers in this format," he added.

Akram further highlighted that the boundary sizes might have become shorter, but most of the grounds are still the same, where the previous era's cricket games were played. Hence, he credited the modern-era batters for their extraordinary success.

"Heinrich Klaasen is one of my favorite players in the world" - Wasim Akram
During the same show, Akram was asked if any franchise can match the firepower that Sunrisers Hyderabad have in their batting lineup for IPL 2024. He opined that none of the franchises can do it, but perhaps, an international side can match that.

"I don't think so (if any franchise can have such a destructive batting lineup like SRH). Maybe, at the international level, you may get one. However, in leagues, it is quite tough," Akram responded.
The legendary Pakistan pacer concluded by naming SRH's Heinrich Klaasen as one of his favorite white-ball players. He also spoke about the importance of Pat Cummins, the leader.

"Heinrich Klaasen is one of my favorite players in the world if you talk about white-ball cricket. His ability to hit sixes is incredible. Abdul Samad is doing a good job as a finisher. He is playing his role well. Also, Pat Cummins' presence as a captain has brought some calmness in the SRH dressing room," Wasim Akram concluded.

Source: Sportskeeda

One of the best straight drive sixes I’ve seen by Miller against Nortje

Nortje has been the Harris Rauf of this tournament

I am convinced now Harris Rauf can play IPL

Delhi stadium is the best party venue of the tournament

Sick tracks and crowed energy!

In a high-octane IPL 2024 match at the Arun Jaitley Stadium on Wednesday, the Delhi Capitals clinched a narrow 4-run victory over the Gujarat Titans. Opting to bat first after winning the toss, Delhi Capitals posted an impressive total of 224 for 4 on the board.

Rishabh Pant and Axar Patel were the stars for Delhi with Pant smashing a blistering 43-ball 88. Axar Patel also contributed significantly with a solid 66. Tristan Stubbs played a crucial role in the latter stages of the innings, scoring an unbeaten 26 off just 7 balls.

In response despite a valiant effort of Sai Sudharshan and David Millers from the Gujarat Titans' batting lineup, they fell just short of the target, ending their innings at 220 for 8.

The win boosts Delhi Capitals' position in the IPL 2024 standings, while the Gujarat Titans will look to bounce back in their next fixture.

Among the 150 plus run scorers Strike rates

Travis head 216.00 SRH
ABhishek sharma 216.00 SRH
MCGurk 211 DC
Klassen 198 SRH
Karthik 196 RCB
Stubbs 192 DC
Asutosh 189 PKXI
Dre Russ 184 KKR
S Narine 176 KKR
S Dube 170 CSK

Top 10 guys. 3 out of top 4 are from SRH. No wonder they are the posting totals like 260, 270. KKR has two such players. They also post big totals.

"Vijay Mallya Said Nobody Is Touching...": India Great Reveals His IPL Bid Tale

Spin legend Anil Kumble, who achieved stratospheric heights in cricket in national colours while also plying his trade in the Indian Premier League (IPL), shared memories from the time when he was signed on to feature for the Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) by former owner Vijay Mallya in the 2008 auction. In the inaugural IPL auction, Kumble went under the hammer after he was not included in the initial list of icon players. Batting talisman and present India head coach, Rahul Dravid, featured in the list of the RCB's icon players, ahead of Kumble, who was nicknamed 'Jumbo' during his playing days.

Kumble, who holds the record for scalping all ten wickets in a single innings in Test cricket alongside England's Jim Laker and New Zealand's Ejaz Patel, was picked up by the RCB at his base price after Mallya insisted at the auction that 'nobody' was to touch him as "he's my Bangalore boy".

"Yeah I mean it was one of those things where I was the captain of India in the Test and for some reason I was not a part of the icon list so I was a part of the auction. Which I obviously didn't participate in but my name was in the auction list. I remember somebody telling me that as soon as my name came up it is not how it is like now when my name came up Mr Vijay Mallya just stood up and said he's my Bangalore boy. Nobody is touching him and that was the end of any other bid coming. I think that was the base price that I was bought at and there was no auction dynamics that you see today. So that was what I was told there were no (other buyers) because the owner just stood up and said no way, no way he is going anywhere else other than Bangalore," Kumble said during a heart-to-heart chat with Ravichandran Ashwin on the latter's YouTube channel.

During his three-year stint with RCB, Kumble made 42 appearances for the Bengaluru franchise, picking up 45 wickets at an average of 23.51 and an economy of 6.58.

For the better part of his career, Kumble predominantly featured in Test and ODI formats, as T20Is came into the cricketing currency during the latter stages of his career.

On the challenges he faced in changing his approach from the longest format of cricket to the shortest format, ahead of the inaugural IPL season, Kumble recalled, "For me, it was quite a challenge to get my mind around to bowl just four overs because the time that I started playing I needed four overs to warm up. The body required that kind of overs to bowl 55 to 60 overs in a Test match on an average and to come back to think that if you end up bowling 60 overs you would be done with the tournament. It was not easy for me to change that mindset. But it became very evident that the best way to approach my four overs would be try and choose the most challenging ones. That's how you probably get more into the game rather than just thinking that bowl four overs, end your spell and then wait for the batters to do their job."

In the second season of the cash-rich domestic league, the RCB made it to the final but fell at the final hurdle against the Deccan Chargers, a Hyderabad-based franchise that no longer features in the IPL.

SOURCE:NDTV

Pant has this "don't care" attitude in him. When it comes good, he will look amazing. When he fails, it will look like the guy is not interested in batting.
That's what is needed in high-pressure games. Travis Head may not achieve 10% of Sachin Tendulkar or Virat Kohli, but he has already devastated Indian fans and denied them trophies! Bumrah looked clueless when attacked in a pressure match! Otherwise he was untouchable throughout the tournament!

Pant is similar guy... In knockout games it is all about putting pressure on the opponent relentlessly... Once you are put under pressure you will even forget your basic skills (like Bumrah, Shami...). Mc.Grath, Warne, etc. also lost their prowess against Laxman-Dravid partnership in that great test match! It is more about MENTAL GAME...! KL Rahul lost all his skills & energy in the finals! That's about it...

IPL: The batting blitz turning cricket into baseball​

There's been carnage and plunder in the Indian Premier League (IPL), the world's richest cricket tournament, this year.

At grounds across the country, batters are throwing caution to the winds, unleashing big shots without mercy and turning virtually every match into a six-hitting festival. This is leaving bowlers hapless, confounding experts and fans about where Twenty20 cricket is headed.

Look at some of the numbers highlighting the batting mayhem witnessed so far.

After the 39th match of the season between Chennai Super Kings and Lucknow Super Giants on Tuesday night, a total of 1,191 fours and 686 sixes had been struck.

In comparison, IPL 2023 recorded 2,174 fours and 1,124 sixes. With over half the current season remaining, it's reasonable to expect last year's figures to be easily exceeded.

The increase in fours and sixes has correspondingly boosted team totals.

In the early IPL seasons, a score of 150-160 was deemed competitive, but today it often leads to defeat in eight out of 10 games. To illustrate the shift in scoring patterns, consider Yuvraj Singh's six sixes off Stuart Broad in the inaugural T20 World Cup in 2007, where India totalled 218 - a monumental achievement at the time. However, 16 years later, team scores of 200 have become routine.

In the 39 matches of this IPL season up to Tuesday, teams have surpassed the 200-run mark 19 times. Aggregate scores have exceeded 400 runs nine times, with two matches astonishingly surpassing 500 runs!

The average run rate this season hovers around 10 per over.

Unfancied Sunrisers Hyderabad, who have been in record-breaking overdrive since the start of the season, clobbered an unprecedented 125 runs in the first powerplay (six overs) against Delhi Capitals which translates into a mind-boggling 20.83 runs per over.

The Sunrisers have scored more than 250 runs in an innings thrice this season, with a whopping 287 against Royal Challengers Bangalore, an IPL record suggesting that the 300-run landmark is in danger of being overhauled, perhaps this season itself.

T20 cricket, by nature, guarantees high-octane action. Batting demands relentless stroke play, where even a dot ball is unacceptable. Batters are tasked with maximising run value per delivery, granting them unrestricted freedom to hit. Despite the risks that this strategy brings, the run-scoring, fuelled by boundaries and sixes, has been exceptional this season.

What's influencing such explosive batting?

Flat pitches for one.

As a thumb rule, pitches for white-ball cricket, ODIs and T20, are curated to be benign, rather than "sporting" the world over. Because T20 holds out the promise of spectacular action, big shots have become a staple of the format - for fans, broadcasters and sponsors - and everything is done to facilitate this. Unlike in other T20 leagues, the IPL takes this seriously enough to ensure that pitches remain strongly batting friendly.

However flat tracks are not the only hurdle bowlers face.

Batters have become fitter, stronger, and more importantly, adventurous, particularly young players weaned on T20 in their formative years. They take more risks, attempt more spectacular feats to win matches, to stave off competition or for greater recognition and reward.

Some rule changes have also contributed in diminishing the role of bowlers.

For instance, the introduction of the Impact Substitute this IPL season has afforded coaches and captains the option of bringing in a player at an opportune time. It's an interesting improvisation, and even a bowler can be brought in as an Impact Sub. But the trend so far favours players who extend batting depth and heft.

An old cliché goes that cricket is a batter's game. But whether this growing imbalance between bat and ball is good for even T20 is the hot debate on the cricket circuit currently.

Interestingly, former India captain and batting great Sunil Gavaskar puts his weight behind bowlers in this scenario. "If it gets so-one-sided, it takes away from the contest, reduces interest," he says.

Gavaskar's big peeve is about the boundary distance being reduced from the conventional 75 yards to 65 or even lesser.

"A bowler forces a mistake from the batsman but is penalised because the boundary has been brought in. What could have been a catch results in six runs!" he fumes.

Given the proficiency of modern bats, even mishits can travel considerable distances, justifying Gavaskar's concern.

Equally intriguingly, former South African pace bowling great Dale Steyn sees the situation as one which challenges the skills and temperament of bowlers. "There's opportunity and incentive for bowlers to become heroes in four overs," says Steyn.

T20 skill sets and mindsets have shifted dramatically from the orthodox and continue to evolve. This demands players across all departments to be dynamic, proactive, and creative.

But the balance between bat and ball has to tend towards equal if T20 is not to become a fusion of golf and baseball masquerading as cricket.

Brace yourself guys. Most dangerous batting line up against most insipid bowling tonight. 300 under threat if Head and Abhisek get going.

That's what is needed in high-pressure games. Travis Head may not achieve 10% of Sachin Tendulkar or Virat Kohli, but he has already devastated Indian fans and denied them trophies! Bumrah looked clueless when attacked in a pressure match! Otherwise he was untouchable throughout the tournament!

Pant is similar guy... In knockout games it is all about putting pressure on the opponent relentlessly... Once you are put under pressure you will even forget your basic skills (like Bumrah, Shami...). Mc.Grath, Warne, etc. also lost their prowess against Laxman-Dravid partnership in that great test match! It is more about MENTAL GAME...! KL Rahul lost all his skills & energy in the finals! That's about it...
Fielding often decides these pressure games. That indicates how a team feels on that day. Australian fielding make 200 like 250. 250 like 300 and so on. Spin is the only weapon that can undo them. You need a little drier conditions. That is where they will come apart. Australia nearly lost two or three matches. If they had not won they would not even have qualified. Indias plan backfired as they did not expect Australia to field first. A flat deck would have been better for India with Oz playing tuk tukers Smith and labu

Fielding often decides these pressure games. That indicates how a team feels on that day. Australian fielding make 200 like 250. 250 like 300 and so on. Spin is the only weapon that can undo them. You need a little drier conditions. That is where they will come apart. Australia nearly lost two or three matches. If they had not won they would not even have qualified. Indias plan backfired as they did not expect Australia to field first. A flat deck would have been better for India with Oz playing tuk tukers Smith and labu
Aussies read the match and conditions better. Indians were busy preparing for celebrations 11/11... They were over-confident! Once they were put into pressure, they lost it completely (Kohli/Rahul going into shell). I am speaking in this regard with respect to Pant... He reads both the mind of opposition + the conditions of pitch, he is in not a blind slogger! These kind of players are needed for knockout games! (other examples are Dhoni, Kapil Dev, Yuvaraj, Gambhir, Kumble - yes Kumble does his part well in knockouts- he may not have much results to show...)

The problem is he will go into shell at some point (Kohli, instead of hitting out or getting out) which will be costly in modern T20 games! He might be good in some patches but that will not be enough... Bigger problem is he will try to save his wicket (the ODI/Test thinking - he still belongs to previous era batsmen!)

Will RCB rather reach the 300 first time? (and that being chased down by SRH later on...)

The problem is he will go into shell at some point (Kohli, instead of hitting out or getting out) which will be costly in modern T20 games! He might be good in some patches but that will not be enough... Bigger problem is he will try to save his wicket (the ODI/Test thinking - he still belongs to previous era batsmen!)
He slows down whenever he is closer to milestones.

He slows down whenever he is closer to milestones.
Team like RCB covers up his weaknesses (Even Indian team has passengers and he covers behind them brilliantly!) Put him to CSK team, that management will screw him & demands to perform (like get down the batting lineup at No.4 or lower like Dhoni who bats at No.8 - a kind of role which may hurt his ego)

In IPL 2024, no spinner has taken more wickets than Mayank Markande (4) in the first over of their spell.

Back