[Report] Shakil Sheikh Emerges as Favorite to Become New Pakistan Chief Selector

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Please sit down before reading this.

==

Member of Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) new management committee, Shakil Sheikh is being considered as one of the top candidates to become the national team’s new chief selector. While the decision has not been made yet on the appointment of the new chief selector, it is reported that Shakil Sheikh is the current front-runner for the coveted position.

PCB has been on the lookout for a new permanent chief selector ever since Najam Sethi was appointed as the PCB chairman over a month ago. Former chief selector, Mohammad Wasim, was removed from his post after Sethi took over the regime from Ramiz Raja.

Wasim was replaced by former Pakistan captain, Shahid Afridi, as the interim national team chief selector. Afridi served as the chief selector for New Zealand’s tour of Pakistan, before excusing himself from the position.

According to sources, PCB is ready to put their trust in Shakil Sheikh as the permanent chief selector as they believe that Sheikh has a deep understanding of domestic cricket in the country and could prove to be a solid choice due to his experience at the grassroots level in the country.

Sheikh has previously served as the head of the Islamabad region and is currently an active member of the new management committee of the PCB. Despite the interest, it is reported that Sheikh is not too keen on becoming the chief selector, rather he wants to keep a close eye on the internal affairs of PCB along with Najam Sethi.

The announcement of the new chief selector is one of the priorities of the new PCB management along with appointing a new head coach for the national side. There have been many troubles in the appointments of both posts as PCB is unable to finalize a name for either post.

https://propakistani.pk/2023/01/19/...vorite-to-become-new-pakistan-chief-selector/

Thinking about this - this must be the most logical choice for Najam Sethi. Shakil is his supporter and has been in the forefront of all decisions taken so far.

“There is no light that can defeat darkness”

-Tolkien

Thinking about this - this must be the most logical choice for Najam Sethi. Shakil is his supporter and has been in the forefront of all decisions taken so far.

*Don* Shakeel Sheikh

What an inspirational fellow this man is!

I give up on pakistan cricket if this happens.

I would rather have akhtar than this

Man i just cant digest this news. Like even shakil himself should know that a selectors job is for 2-3 years. Taking it means he will be fired eventually.

Atleast BOG job has some security.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to Mohd Arsal Shaikh international debut soon.

Looking forward to Mohd Arsal Shaikh international debut soon.

Well Najam Sethi's son could not sing the PSL anthem due to conflict of interest so I Am sure Shakil will not give any special favours to his son!

It's all just people creating hype and trying to raise their profile by circulating these rumours. No chance shakeel sheikh becomes the chief selector

How many matches at a good standard has he played?

I guess zero.

How many matches at a good standard has he played?

I guess zero.

Ignoring that, one can still do this job well providing they have some qualifications and decent experience, more than that an open mind and high level of professionalism.

But asking this guy to do the job? it's like advocating any random uncle who talks rubbish all the time, think they know it all and drinks tea 24/7 before yelling at the cloud every hour or so. What a shambles mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the captaincy conundrum will also be solved by Shakil sahibs appointment.

Change for the sake of it is not always good, we didn't learn lesson from what happened in the country last year and its consequences . We changed the PCB chairman and the selector but things are getter from bad to worse.

Shakeel Sheikh is cricket in Pakistan.

Every business sector needs its pioneers and Shakeel Sahab runs cricket. Without him there is no cricket.

Look at the names that support him. Apart from Rameez and Tanvir I think they all on his side.

I've asked around and at this moment this story is not true.

This should happen

And there doesn’t need to be any press conferences to announce Squads

Simple as

This should happen

And there doesn’t need to be any press conferences to announce Squads

Simple as

than how should squads be announced? by press release?

issue is, in a country like Pakistan, squad selection leads to alot of questions raised which the selector has to answr

than how should squads be announced? by press release?

issue is, in a country like Pakistan, squad selection leads to alot of questions raised which the selector has to answr

Squads should be announced the way I think I’d right

And I think they should be announced like this. No press conferences

I've asked around and at this moment this story is not true.
There is an interesting scenario going around.

There are two issues.
one is that anyone taking a job at pcb will know that elections are going to happen, and if pmln losses than their jobs are not gonna last as there will be changes again at PCB.

Another issue is that our political situation has become so toxic that anyone that appears to get employment under the current PCB would show themselves as being pro PMLN or pro sethi. Thus, players are trying to save their own PR and not opting for the jobs at PCB.

PCB seems desperate and maybe this Shakil Sheikh appointment could be to scare everyone where someone from the ex cricketers will raise their hand and apply for the job.

I heard that Waqar was offered, Misbah was probably offered, they all said no for now.

Think they'll be looking to get Inzi again. Or maybe Haroon Rashid(please not him) Abdul Razzaq could be a good choice. Maybe Yasir Hameed?

Think they'll be looking to get Inzi again. Or maybe Haroon Rashid(please not him) Abdul Razzaq could be a good choice. Maybe Yasir Hameed?

Yasir Hameed is the guy who challenged all of India’s batsmen in the elevator

He’s a joker mate

This sounds interesting! Off topic, but what did he say/do in that elevator?

You can find it on YouTube or somewhere. Sehwag disclosed a hilarious story of him telling all the Indian batsmen he will smash them or something like that. Too funny

They can have the ISLU recruitment team use analytics to select the squad, which can then be announced by the new Chief Selector Azhar Mehmood, the public face of selection.

Thus the squad won’t fully be Azhar’s selection, but rather backed by data. Having heard ISLU’s Rehan Ul Haq a lot, the guy invariably speaks a lot of sense. If he’s then helping pick the squad, you’ll know that there’s been done thought in squad selection.

Not true.

He was offered nothing.

Have you seen the comments on his tweet where he confirmed he isn’t interested?

People are genuinely sick of him and letting him know lol

Have you seen the comments on his tweet where he confirmed he isn’t interested?

People are genuinely sick of him and letting him know lol

He'd already told me before he tweeted:

No offer
And he isn't interested

The Management Committee Chairman Mr Najam Sethi is likely to hold a media conference at the Gaddafi Stadium on Monday - I am guessing it's related to this subject.

There are some chidiyas chirping that Inzamam may be back as Chief Selector.

If this guy can become Chief Selector then the position has no value. You might as well appoint fans as they will know more about cricket than some thuug

Man i just cant digest this news. Like even shakil himself should know that a selectors job is for 2-3 years. Taking it means he will be fired eventually.

Atleast BOG job has some security.

Own it son..this is what yu wanted

Sir, [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] Don't you think that other than Shahid Afridi or Inzamam Ul Haq, anyone who becomes chief selector would get dictated by Shakil Sheikh or Najam Sethi. Would that guy do his duty without any influence ? Or may be Shan Masood's appointment as VC, type secanario where NAJAM SETHI himself made that decision withotut asking anyone.

Sir, [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] Don't you think that other than Shahid Afridi or Inzamam Ul Haq, anyone who becomes chief selector would get dictated by Shakil Sheikh or Najam Sethi. Would that guy do his duty without any influence ? Or may be Shan Masood's appointment as VC, type secanario where NAJAM SETHI himself made that decision withotut asking anyone.

Time will tell.

But it's going to take a strong man to stand up as chief selector to the PCB hierarchy.

Beta when did i want shakil sheikh as selector

You were very happy with sethi and jumping up and down. Well this is the intellectual capacity of somebody who is mired in cronyism..let's hope this is just a rumour but if it turns out to be true I hope you support shakil and sethi...

You were very happy with sethi and jumping up and down. Well this is the intellectual capacity of somebody who is mired in cronyism..let's hope this is just a rumour but if it turns out to be true I hope you support shakil and sethi...

Major was the first person on this forum to draw attention to Shakil's shennaigans.

According to reports Haroon dinosaur Rasheed has been appointed the CS, will be announced tomorrow by Sethi.

A brilliant joke

According to reports Haroon dinosaur Rasheed has been appointed the CS, will be announced tomorrow by Sethi.

A brilliant joke

Bro Sethi and Co have a time machine that has transported us back to the 90's but without the all star cast..

It seems the Board want people who they can dictate and make key decisions for.

So basically Yes Men with the PCB hierarchy actually making the key decisions behind the scenes.

A brilliant joke

Oh god no.

One of the worst CS we ever had. Remember it was him who debuted 39 yr old Rifatullah Mohmand and played Khurram Manzoor in T20Is despite a domestic SR of around 110.

We were tottering in 9th and 7th in ODI and T20 rankings at the end of his tenure.

Thank God for commonsense to have prevailed.

Shakeel Sheikh showing the value of administrative experience. He has done a stellar job in maintaining the Diamond Cricket Ground. Ramiz turned out to be a totally incompetent joker in comparison to this guy.

Looks like the era of Haroon Rasheed, Intikhab Alam, Wasim Bari and Saleem Jaffar is back.

Back