Run feast expected - W.I v india (1st test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
India should be 97% safe now, a team has rarly chased 370 odd runs on the last day.

Kumble will make this total that much harder to chase for the Windies. It'll take something special though as 370 odd on the last day with Kumble is one dam hard task. When the Windies made that record 400+ in the last inns they had 2 days to get it.

But then again, Indias pace bowlers are very inexpierenced, this is testing tiem for them.

I dont think a draws likely here, a India or WI win.

Playa said:
India should be 97% safe now, a team has rarly chased 370 odd runs on the last day.

418 was chased here by WI vs the best team in the world.

A draw is still possible because 370 in 3 sessions would be quite difficult and if any one of the WI's top order play a long innings, draw could be possible.

akram_rejuvinated said:
And both of them like gentlemen did not try to contest or deny or even fight the judgement, how so ever controversial it was. In fact, when tendulkar was called for tampering, he was in fact removing grass and dirt from the ball and a majority of the cricket observers from england to australia came to his defence. In fact, the opposition, South Africa supported him too and agreed to renounce the last game of the series.

And believe me mate, ball tampering accusations have plagued more pakistani players than all the rest of the world combined. I think you are just burning in agony at the mention of Moin Khan and Wasim Akram. Well Akram was still a gentleman on other days (saving for accusations of match fixing etc etc) but moin khan, though a very talented player needed an education in ethics.

Neither acted like a gentlemen....in fact both Dravid and Tendulkar flatly denied it (despite being caught on camera). And you know it is not a fielders job to remove grass and dirt from the ball; he has to show it to the umpire and then take it off in front of him with his permission. That is the common practice which you will see at any game.

And yes there were ball tampering allegations at Wasim and Waqar but the FACT is that NEVER has there EVER been ANY evidence WHATSOEVER against them. Unlike Rahul and Sachin who were caught RED HANDED.

As for Balaji.......I don't care or know what the commentators said. If you have highlights of the game (though you probably don't because India lost and we all know about Indians and their highlights) just watch that incident- you will see that Balaji did not touch the ball.

So who is on this 'list' of yours so far?

Wasim and Moin we know. Plus Ian Bell I presume? And Ganguly too? Sachin and Rahul? Balaji? Who else.......might as well keep going. Just to ensure there is no bias or hypocrisy in your analysis.

zaf1986 said:
418 was chased here by WI vs the best team in the world.

A draw is still possible because 370 in 3 sessions would be quite difficult and if any one of the WI's top order play a long innings, draw could be possible.

That was in two days, a draw is possible, but a predict a India or WI win here.

Hash said:
... Sachin who were caught RED HANDED.

Wasn't Mike Dennis the refree of that match where Sachin was reported for tempering? I read he never ever got the chance to be a cricket test refree again, :D is that true?

Hash said:
Neither acted like a gentlemen....in fact both Dravid and Tendulkar flatly denied it (despite being caught on camera). And you know it is not a fielders job to remove grass and dirt from the ball; he has to show it to the umpire and then take it off in front of him with his permission. That is the common practice which you will see at any game.

And yes there were ball tampering allegations at Wasim and Waqar but the FACT is that NEVER has there EVER been ANY evidence WHATSOEVER against them. Unlike Rahul and Sachin who were caught RED HANDED.

As for Balaji.......I don't care or know what the commentators said. If you have highlights of the game (though you probably don't because India lost and we all know about Indians and their highlights) just watch that incident- you will see that Balaji did not touch the ball.

Wasim and Moin we know. Plus Ian Bell I presume? And Ganguly too? Sachin and Rahul? Balaji? Who else.......might as well keep going. Just to ensure there is no bias or hypocrisy in your analysis.

lack of evidence in the case of ball tampering is to a great extent due to the lack of proper technology to follow the ball around the park, unlike the contemporary camera networks that purpotedly caught rahul dravid and tendulkar "red handed".

the 'list' as of this moment contains just moin khan who i feel willfully and with a certain level of premeditation violated the code of ethics. there are some other such as roy gilchrist a fiery fast bowler from west indies who resorted to beamers and short pitched delieveries to knock out the batsman if he could not bowl him out; and the architects of bodyline.

i think wasim let his desire to win get the better of him (and now i am saying this a second time). i am sure that in all your ingenuity you can find a clip of the balaji-younis khan dismissal on the net and i ll probably be able to judge it more. and again, why are we adding ganguly to the list?

finally if you think tendulkar and dravid are unethical players of the game, i dont think i can argue with you any more as you seem to suffer from a state of demensia that no persuation on my part could cure (note that i did not add afridi to the list for his pitch tampering that he was caught "red handed" for and duly punished; there are violations, and there are mistakes, and then there are unethical and premeditated conducts).

Hash said:

hmm...another disciple of Farhad?

And you know it is not a fielders job to remove grass and dirt from the ball; he has to show it to the umpire and then take it off in front of him with his permission. That is the common practice which you will see at any game.

Sachin was doing only that, taking the grass and dirt off the seam. Does that constitute as ball tampering? His only mistake was that he did not inform the umpire. That's all.

If Sachin Tendulkar was really guilty, why did Mike Denness apologize to him? Why did he completely clear him of ball tampering?

Do you even know the context of how he was 'caught'? A television company was recording the day's play and saw sachin with the ball. That tape was given directly to Mike Denness Mike Denness immediately announced his decision, but failed to say anything about it. In the press conference, he remained absolutely quiet. Eventually, he cleared Tendulkar of all wrongdoing. He's lucky Tendulkar didn't slap a suit of defamation on his ass.

How will did Sachin handle the incident? With grace, as always. He didn't make any outlandish comments to the media, or cry about it.

This thread is about WI Vs India First Test - Pls dont get into this SRT debate etc.

If Lara insisted on the batsman to take the fielders word I can see a problem with that.

A) The fielder eyes were firmly fixed looking up towards the ball and he had no chance of knowing if he in fact touched the boundry rope.

B) If the fielder did touch the boundry then all the WI protestations are outside the laws of cricket.

C) The batsman has no obligation to take the fielders word just as a fielder will not accept a batsman insisting he did not get an edge.

D) Ponting raised this issue but the WI cricket players were silent when it came to supporting Ponting and now expect to benifit from something they would not support.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for teams that find themselves in this position after ignoring the opportunity to make these decisions clear cut after Ponting and the Australian team pushed for not long ago.

Last day's play about to start, India need 10 wickets, Windies need 379 runs.

All four results possible, should be a good day.

Easatheman said:
Last day's play about to start, India need 10 wickets, Windies need 379 runs.

All four results possible, should be a good day.

hopefully a west indies win. :D

Come on WI! Even if they dont win and it ends a draw im still hoping for India to get thrashed.

The Windies are going at a great rate so far.

2.31 RPO......not even trying to win IMO. Wasnt this pitch suposed to have eased out.

C Gayle* 15(64)
D Ganga 27(59)

They are making yesterday's Kaifs stint seem like fireworks time.

W.I 67/1

Ganga gone to kumble, superb one handed catch @ short leg by yuvraj.

Sarwan gone, lashes at ball away from body and is caught in gulley.

neva looked comfy in short stay.

W.I 68/2

WI will not survive the day - they just dont play like that - Now watch Lara play a typical swashbuckling 70 odd and then go in an hours time !

Lara gone lbw to sreesanth.

looked very close.

W.I 72/3

i expect all india fans to magically appear on this thread as is the norm. only post when india is doing well.

Three quick wickets might have just turned things India's way a bit. Could have easily been 4 down. But with Chanderpaul and Bravo still to come, the Windies might still save the game. Winning the game for them is outta question now with Lara and Sarwan gone cheaply.

Amjid Javed said:
i expect all india fans to magically appear on this thread as is the norm. only post when india is doing well.

That's right.....I am here :)

I usually think of it as India loses mostly when I am not able to watch due to other commitments (like I was the whole of the last month)

Amjid Javed said:
well am sure tupac, snoop dog and notorious B.I.G will be along shortly. :)

AM always here AJ :D .. Unfortunately I cant see the match on TV, Wonder if Lara cried to Rauf, oh pleease oh please dont give me out, its not fair :6: :6: :6: .. After what he did yesterday he is offically in my COWARDS_LIST. He doesnt have the balls to show this I stick up for my team attitude against Aus, Sa, ENg etc, where he just bows his head down , puts his tail between his legs and walks back like a dog put in its place after a big hard beating from its master. But seems he somehow finds courage against the Asian team :13: ...

Romali_rotti said:
AM always here AJ :D .. Unfortunately I cant see the match on TV, Wonder if Lara cried to Rauf, oh pleease oh please dont give me out, its not fair :6: :6: :6: .. After what he did yesterday he is offically in my COWARDS_LIST. He doesnt have the balls to show this I stick up for my team attitude against Aus, Sa, ENg etc, where he just bows his head down , puts his tail between his legs and walks back like a dog put in its place after a big hard beating from its master. But seems he somehow finds courage against the Asian team :13: ...

:))) :))) :)))
well west indies is certainly not going to win now, the only possible outcomes now are either a draw (still credible with the likes of chanderpaul) or an indian win (though they did not really deserve it after their first innings debacle)

Andy Roberts was giving plenty of advice and tips to Irfan Pathan during the lunch break. This might really beneifit Pathan in the long term.

Fish said:
If Lara insisted on the batsman to take the fielders word I can see a problem with that.

A) The fielder eyes were firmly fixed looking up towards the ball and he had no chance of knowing if he in fact touched the boundry rope.

B) If the fielder did touch the boundry then all the WI protestations are outside the laws of cricket.

C) The batsman has no obligation to take the fielders word just as a fielder will not accept a batsman insisting he did not get an edge.

D) Ponting raised this issue but the WI cricket players were silent when it came to supporting Ponting and now expect to benifit from something they would not support.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for teams that find themselves in this position after ignoring the opportunity to make these decisions clear cut after Ponting and the Australian team pushed for not long ago.

I totally agree.

Taking fielder's word .. wow ... Nobel as it sounds (from bowling team perspective of course) .. tell me why did Gayle did not take fielders word for a catch today which was really very close. Just a day before his captain pleaded Dhoni to walk off after umpire gave him not out. Dhoni accepted and walked. How about a quick return favor. If Lara was really trying to build some character stuff then he should have given the same instruction to his team (to walk off after fielder claims the catch). Afterall he expected the other team to do exactly that and they complied. What happens if Gayle ends up being the difference between losing and a draw or an improbable win?

You see the problem with this logic is that the bowling side will always say that "take fielder's word" and batting side would always think otherwise. What happened in a matter of 2 days shows the real problem. It's basically a theory of convenience. People will always say things which will suit their team in a given situation. The best thing is to accept umpire's verdict and carry on. There would always be some wrong one's but it's part of game.

Gayle opening up a bit.

33.4 Kumble to Gayle, FOUR!!, drives it between extra cover and mid off, Patel begins to chase it but thats through

33.2 Kumble to Gayle, FOUR!!, tossed up and this time Gayle hits it over the infield, aiming mid wicket

Chanderpaul smashes ball into yuvraj @ short leg!

well done shiv!

4 more runs for shiv.

96/3

sreesanth has stopped staring and jumping around like a monkey now. Thankfully.

Amjid Javed said:
4 more runs for shiv.

96/3

sreesanth has stopped staring and jumping around like a monkey now. Thankfully.
He still is scratching his butt...

4 more as shiv slaps a floating half volley for 4.

100/3

wow! what a shot 4 more!

104/3 now.

shiv on fire west indies going for the win!

36.6 Sreesanth to Chanderpaul, FOUR!!, overpitched and widish, driving off the front foot and once again sweetly timed to sweeper cover

Good stuff by Chanderpaul, Windies 104-3

W.I 108/3

285 off 57 overs still very achievable.

Amjid Javed said:
And I laugh when the Windies win, and all the indians are on this forum :)))

Nah... a win is highly improbably for west indies. they cant maintain their current scoring rate (and i mean this particular patnership) fr the remaing 50 odd overs and if either one of these two falls, a defeat would be round the corner. maybe west indies should try to score for another few overs, maybe put a scare in the indian bowlers and then buckle down and play it safe wear out the attack and then eventually ride that to a draw.

attempting to go for a win would be fruitless and would almost certainly result in a loss.

akram_rejuvinated said:
Nah... a win is highly improbably for west indies. they cant maintain their current scoring rate (and i mean this particular patnership) fr the remaing 50 odd overs and if either one of these two falls, a defeat would be round the corner. maybe west indies should try to score for another few overs, maybe put a scare in the indian bowlers and then buckle down and play it safe wear out the attack and then eventually ride that to a draw.

attempting to go for a win would be fruitless and would almost certainly result in a loss.
India can never be scared, only frightened to death :)))

Shivs test record v india

overall ---- 14 mtchs 22 inns 7 n.o 1280 runs @ 85.33 - 5 (100) 7 (50)
@ home -- 10 mtchs 15 inns 5 n.o 1005 runs @ 100.50 - 4 (100) 6 (50)

and just think wasim jaffer dropped him.

required run rate just over 5... just when the match is getting interesting... i have class! damn you vlsi! bringer of pain and stealer of joy! see ya all at 3 cst.

akram_rejuvinated said:
required run rate just over 5... just when the match is getting interesting... i have class! damn you vlsi! bringer of pain and stealer of joy! see ya all at 3 cst.

i take it youll be back if india get back on top. enjoy youre "class" ;-) :))

113-3

A windies win is possible if these two get the majority of the runs, the rest can be knocked of by Bravo, Ramdin, Bradshaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back