Shahid Afridi - Take a Bow!

Paragraphs would have helped though.

Its an emotional outburst. I typed this on to my mobile notepad and pasted here and somehow the formatting got removed. Wasn't bothered either. Felt strongly about this issue so had to type it down quickly. This is not about potw, its man to a man, laying it down what needs to be said. A 90s cricketer is about to retire, it cant get more sad for me!

Pakistan didn't deserve a gem of a player like him. I wish he would've played in a better team with better players and with a better fan following. Love you Afridi.

Epic, you have put us pak fans to shame FC, how on earth we pak fans could even dared to disrespect His Magisty! All hail the Legend! The last of the real stars. #AfridiWeAreSorry

I only started watching cricket from late 90s onwards but the little I know about the history of the game, I can very confidently claim that 90s was probably the most glorious era in Cricket. I was fortunate to have witnessed the era when cricket boomed and we had legends playing in pretty much each of the top 8 sides in Cricket. Even Zimbabwe had a great in Flower.

I was even more fortunate to have witnessed a player that touched everyone of us's hearts in a manner I again confidently claim no cricketer has ever done before to his fans and that of course was our very own little master Sachin Tendulkar. We grew with Sachin's career. Here I was gradually passing from one class to the other in school, college and university and there Sachin was in the field breaking records after records.

It was an era of icons, of course all good things come to an end one day and eventually all these stars of 90s started retiring one after another and here I was feeling like Lord Voldemort in HP seeing his horcruxes getting destroyed. Voldemort's soul remained alive in his 7 horcruxes and my soul as a young die hard cricket fan remained alive in these legends of 90s.

You may be wondering where is Afridi in all this but here we come, it is March 2016 and the last living superstar of the 90s is about to play his final tournament. Whatever I wrote above has to be said to understand the feeling in mine as well as my brother and idol Shahid Afridi's heart right now. A heart that melted seeing supposedly hostile fans of a supposedly enemy nation in total awe of him leading to him saying what he said, words that got taken out of context by people who don't feel much but think too much.

The greatest problem of our time. People these days unfortunately just aren't patient and peaceful enough to think rationally. What Afridi said were the words of a kid who lived the Pakistan dream for 20 years and is about to finally retire. Afridi needs our support, our encouragement. Regardless of his countless achievements we still don't claim too much about him as a player but I just request people to be respectful. Afridi is the last of the stars.

As a passionate and patriotic Indian I have loved to hate and diss Pakistani players and fans, all on good competitive spirit but when these Akhtars, Afridis are no more, even I feel discouraged to indulge in banter. Afridi's that spark who's kept the interest of the average fans alive in an era when there weren't any real stars. Last 5-10 years of Palistan cricket have been your poorest in terms of talent and achievements and yet Afridi's kept the interest alive. Respect him for that.

He's not an oxford intellectual. He's been into cricket from his early teens. He did not get to develop on his soft skills early in his career but he's shown a good honest heart even when he behaved outrageously. His name never appeared in match fixing. His name never appeared in drug abuse. I don't know what people really want from Afridi. It seems like no matter what he does, a certain lobby is always waiting there to pounce on him and bash him. Give it up. 20 years of Shahid Afridi!

The countdown clock is ticking. Afridi looks emotional and tense, he needs your encouragement now more than ever before. I thought what Afridi said was the statement of a mature leader who wants to settle things as quickly as possible and divert the attention to cricket from all the negativity and politics. As an Indian, I thought it was sweet and Afridi bhai we totally appreciate you for that and let me honestly tell you I am sure millions of Indians and not just me alone love you just as much and probably more than we love some of our players.

I will pray we get you out brother because you scare us to death with your presence. A lion is a lion, old or young.

But my prayers are always with you. Do well, may god bless you and always be the same Afridi!

Jai Sri Ram! :)

No disrespect to the OP ... just had to format it to read it and PP don't let an empty comment go.

He has sacrificed so much for Pakistani cricket. Always played for the team and fans. Never worried about his own stats. Selflessly retired from tests to give youngsters a chance. Now dragging his aged body for the team in crisis.

Massive respect and love.

:sa

He has sacrificed so much for Pakistani cricket. Always played for the team and fans. Never worried about his own stats. Selflessly retired from tests to give youngsters a chance. Now dragging his aged body for the team in crisis.

Massive respect and love.

Wow!

The cult mentality is as deeply entrenched as it is detached from reality.

Superb post brother. Really amazing. Afridi I am sure is the last player from that legendry 90s era who is about to retire. Lets all back him and show him love as a cricket fan.

Wow!

Question - Why do you mostly and only comment in threads related to Afridi?

You are such a good poster, why don't you post in various threads?

I am feeling ashamed as a Pakistan fan today. You have opened my eyes FC. Feeling really humiliated due to this POTW worthy post. Sorry lala, i am with you. Lets hack our way to victory

Wow!

Not a cult member. Just a fan who calls spade a spade.

Has Afridi ever betrayed Pakistani trust like so many others did?

Has any Pakistani single-handedly won a World cup after 1992?

Has any modern Pakistani player filled stadiums like Afridi does?

He is a superstar personified in every sense - Performance, Charisma, Integrity and many more qualities.

Difficult to separate serious posts from sarcastic posts in this thread, anyway I agree afridi is being treated badly here, criticize him on his cricketing performance and that too with decency, the things being said about him by former Pak players is despicable

bhai itna emotional post parh kar Afridi zaroor retirement delay karne ka bare soch raha hoga..:13:

Not a cult member. Just a fan who calls spade a spade.

Has Afridi ever betrayed Pakistani trust like so many others did?

Has any Pakistani single-handedly won a World cup after 1992?

Has any modern Pakistani player filled stadiums like Afridi does?

He is a superstar personified in every sense - Performance, Charisma, Integrity and many more qualities.

Absolutely pathetic!

Afridi has betrayed Pakistan more than any other cricketer. Always putting his interests ahead of the team.

Single handedly? A convenient phrase used by cult members without any substance. Please prove how he even remotely came close to winning it single-handedly. If this isn't an example of the cult mentality then what is?

He fills stadiums in Pakistan games only due to the media creation. He is seen as a circus clown elsewhere.

Superstar due to performance? A pathetic record even if you include minnows.

Integrity? Never has there been a man in a green shirt that has less.

And many other qualities? Yes deluded, brainwashed cult members fabricating his narrative.

Freelance can you please translate that into a few sentences, very hard to read. Sorry.

Question - Why do you mostly and only comment in threads related to Afridi?

You are such a good poster, why don't you post in various threads?

I post more in Afridi threads because his cult members fabricate the narrative and degrade others in a desperate attempt to have him seen in a better light.

I post in other threads, but generally the the exchange will be one or two posts. However when it comes to Afridi threads his cult members will congregate throw ignorant insults, totally fabricate every aspect being discussed and then throw a tantrum. Hence, the exchanges are longer.

So the more pertinent question should be why such disingenuity is allowed rather than why I question it.

Absolutely pathetic!

Afridi has betrayed Pakistan more than any other cricketer. Always putting his interests ahead of the team.

Single handedly? A convenient phrase used by cult members without any substance. Please prove how he even remotely came close to winning it single-handedly. If this isn't an example of the cult mentality then what is?

He fills stadiums in Pakistan games only due to the media creation. He is seen as a circus clown elsewhere.

Superstar due to performance? A pathetic record even if you include minnows.

Integrity? Never has there been a man in a green shirt that has less.

And many other qualities? Yes deluded, brainwashed cult members fabricating his narrative.

I know Single handedly is relative term but nobody can deny what Starman did in London.

When has Afridy put himself ahead of the team? He is the one who is always ready to come at selfless batting positions like finishing or opening.

I agree that media has vested interest in promoting a marketable star but don't hate the player - hate the game (game=consumer economics)

His batting has deteriorated but he still deserves place as a pure spinner. And we can't base our opinions on pure stats only.

About integrity, he is role model for clean behavior regarding fixing and drugs etc.

And there is always a narrative being spun.Right now narrative is that Afridi is past it and other insulting things but we have to open our hearts to go beyond the numbers and reach the emotions.

Last edited:
I know Single handedly is relative term but nobody can deny what Starman did in London.

When has Afridy put himself ahead of the team? He is the one who is always ready to come at selfless batting positions like finishing or opening.

I agree that media has vested interest in promoting a marketable star but don't hate the player - hate the game (game=consumer economics)

His batting has deteriorated but he still deserves place as a pure spinner. And we can't base our opinions on pure stats only.

About integrity, he is role model for clean behavior regarding fixing and drugs etc.

And there is always a narrative being spun.Right now narrative is that Afridi is past it and other insulting things but we have to open our hearts to go beyond the numbers and reach the emotions.

Go and see what Razzaq did in that final. Afridi for once played with some responsibility and it has been spun as if he carried the entire team on his shoulders, whereas they carried him for the majority of the tournament. It's disgusting that you would diminish the achievements of Gul, Ajmal, YK, Amir and Razzaq to name a few.

Afridi has always played for his brand. Playing recklessly in order to maintain it rather than play for the team. Spin it which ever

I hate the corruption to which Afridi is a willing poster boy.

I'm not basing my opinion on stats, he is at best an inconsistent minnow basher.

Role model? Partaking in oaths to remove captains, harassing young women on planes, biting a ball, scuffing pitches, using the media to further his interests, starting a campaign to replace the captain in the run up to a world cup, always put himself ahead of the team, making chauvinistic statements, always blaming others for his failings, is just the tip of the i ce-berg.

Safe your lessons of compassion for those gullible to fall for it.

Go and see what Razzaq did in that final. Afridi for once played with some responsibility and it has been spun as if he carried the entire team on his shoulders, whereas they carried him for the majority of the tournament. It's disgusting that you would diminish the achievements of Gul, Ajmal, YK, Amir and Razzaq to name a few.

Afridi has always played for his brand. Playing recklessly in order to maintain it rather than play for the team. Spin it which ever

I hate the corruption to which Afridi is a willing poster boy.

I'm not basing my opinion on stats, he is at best an inconsistent minnow basher.

Role model? Partaking in oaths to remove captains, harassing young women on planes, biting a ball, scuffing pitches, using the media to further his interests, starting a campaign to replace the captain in the run up to a world cup, always put himself ahead of the team, making chauvinistic statements, always blaming others for his failings, is just the tip of the i ce-berg.

Safe your lessons of compassion for those gullible to fall for it.

I am not saying that Afridi is a saint. Nobody should carry that burden. But compared to other stars he is not that bad.

In no way I am belittling the contribution by other member of 09 WC. I know cricket is team game.

What can he do regarding Poster boy status? Fight against corrupt board by himself? May be you are expecting too much of a single man.

I am not saying that Afridi is a saint. Nobody should carry that burden. But compared to other stars he is not that bad.

In no way I am belittling the contribution by other member of 09 WC. I know cricket is team game.

What can he do regarding Poster boy status? Fight against corrupt board by himself? May be you are expecting too much of a single man.

He isn't an innocent poster boy, he has actively indulged in it to the detriment of Pakistan cricket.

He isn't an innocent poster boy, he has actively indulged in it to the detriment of Pakistan cricket.

May be. But would anybody else have done anything differently?

And It definitely was not intentional.

Last edited:
May be. But would anybody else have done anything differently?

And It definitely was not intentional.

Someone with integrity wouldn't have, or at the very least played for the team rather than themselves.

It was absolutely intentional. No other reason would he play for his brand than for his country.

Someone with integrity wouldn't have, or at the very least played for the team rather than themselves.

It was absolutely intentional. No other reason would he play for his brand than for his country.

He was teenaged when his brand was developed by adoring fans and media. I know from experience that expectations can make you do strange things.

He was teenaged when his brand was developed by adoring fans and media. I know from experience that expectations can make you do strange things.

No defence whatsoever. He is middle aged now and still petulant.

No defence whatsoever. He is middle aged now and still petulant.

I agree that it's too late to change the game for Afridi. So maybe let's say goodbye to him with hope that his good memories will sweeten with time and bad ones will be forgotten. You don't know what you have till it's gone. :sa

And rulesbhai it's sometimes good to get down from that horse and celebrate an ending of an era.

Wait wait..

He was young, naive, talented, and was manipulated..?
All too familiar stuff. :irfan

Two Afridi fans from India have emerged in the last few days. Seems like a reaction to his statement.

Two Afridi fans from India have emerged in the last few days. Seems like a reaction to his statement.

I am not recent fan.

I have been admirer sinse I started understanding cricket beyond Indian national team.

I don't thing even Afridi knows what comes out of his mouth sometimes. I don't take his statements seriously, they are often contradictory or he will contradict them in future.

I agree that it's too late to change the game for Afridi. So maybe let's say goodbye to him with hope that his good memories will sweeten with time and bad ones will be forgotten. You don't know what you have till it's gone. :sa

And rulesbhai it's sometimes good to get down from that horse and celebrate an ending of an era.

What good memories? A few sixes are not going to make up for 20 years of failure.

I more than know what I've got because I know what we lost before the advent of Afridism.

Of course you will be mourning his loss. He has been a valuable player for India and soon you will have to face 11 Pakistanis on the field for the first time in 20 years.

Celebrate what exactly? 20 years of failure? The lowest depths our cricket has ever seen?

You tend to your own horse, I'm comfortable in my saddle "Bhai".

But you were looking for Afridi?

I just responded to this thread just as I have to many others, I don't go looking for threads particularly if they are about players I hate. I'm not the guy to have the most posts in a Faisal Iqbal or Kamran Akmal thread just because I dislike them.

I just responded to this thread just as I have to many others, I don't go looking for threads particularly if they are about players I hate. I'm not the guy to have the most posts in a Faisal Iqbal or Kamran Akmal thread just because I dislike them.

By inference, you're insinuating that I look exclusively for Afridi threads and only post because I hate him.

Would be nice if you could substantiate it by proving where I have criticised your guru without proof?

Also show that I have exclusively posted in Afridi threads, given the explanation I provided above.

By inference, you're insinuating that I look exclusively for Afridi threads and only post because I hate him.

Would be nice if you could substantiate it by proving where I have criticised your guru without proof?

Also show that I have exclusively posted in Afridi threads, given the explanation I provided above.

My guru? You're being a little judgemental, don't you think? Where did you do your MBA btw?

Afridi will be the only captain to lead Pakistan to back to back defeats against Bangladesh in T20s. Whattay legend, Lala love you. :sa

when this guy debuted half the forum wasnt even born. now 20 years later, he's fitter and more attractive than almost the whole forum. well done lala.

So, on one hand you can liberally throw aspersions but when I retort it is being Judgemental?

I don't have an MBA.

You speak like one of us. I thought you were one of us but you aren't :( You started it though, I was responding in the same tone just to make it clearer for you to see :))

Take a bow lala!

I hope he will be at his best like he was in 2011 WC.

Played brilliantly yesterday !

You speak like one of us. I thought you were one of us but you aren't :( You started it though, I was responding in the same tone just to make it clearer for you to see :))

And what is one of us?

I started what exactly?

Clear for what to see?

What good memories? A few sixes are not going to make up for 20 years of failure.

I more than know what I've got because I know what we lost before the advent of Afridism.

Of course you will be mourning his loss. He has been a valuable player for India and soon you will have to face 11 Pakistanis on the field for the first time in 20 years.

Celebrate what exactly? 20 years of failure? The lowest depths our cricket has ever seen?

You tend to your own horse, I'm comfortable in my saddle "Bhai".

It is here where u lose the credibility when u go over board with the hate.
"Of course you will be mourning his loss. He has been a valuable player for India and soon you will have to face 11 Pakistanis on the field for the first time in 20 years."

How can u forget chennai test 99 bangalore test 05
Asia Cup 2014. As Pakistanis we can never forget these games.

And what is one of us?

I started what exactly?

Clear for what to see?

One of us means one of us MBAs. You called the posters here members of Afridi's 'cult' which is an assumption and not a good one at that. If you can assume sth, I can too :srini :ksi

[MENTION=65183]freelance_cricketer[/MENTION] bhaijaan, where are you?

We need your support tomorrow!

Glass shatters!

Bhaijaan enters. Brothers, I am sorry but tomorrow I will be against a few of my Pakistani friends because I don't know about ordinary Indians like Bhaag Viru but I treat every India-Pakistan game as a war!

Afridi bhai. I hope you go out for duck.

Lets do it. A blue storm is coming. Give me a hell yeah!

Having said that, By Gawd what a knock against Bangladesh wow. I told everyone Lala wasn't finished. Look now, fools!

Afridi is still the most dangerous player in the world slightly below ABD and on par or even better than Maxy, Andy or Joss The Buttler baby.

Afridi battle tonight will seal the fate of this tournament.

One of us means one of us MBAs. You called the posters here members of Afridi's 'cult' which is an assumption and not a good one at that. If you can assume sth, I can too :srini :ksi

There are other Masters than an MBA.

You can assume all you want but can you substantiate it?

Afridi bhai,

We still love you and we will back you against NZ and Aussies. Lets show the same aggression you did against Deshiz.

Hopefully India and Pakistan both win against Aussies so that Afridi can retire with a win and India can still go through.

Jagein hae der tak,
Humein kuch der sone do.

Thhori si raat aur hae,
Subha to hone do...

Shahid Afridi, brother go out there tomorrow and have a blast. Last or whatever, you will always 'LAST' in our hearts.

For Afridi !

Changing my flag to respected Pakistan flag, one of the most beautiful flags in the world for 1 day only in respect of one of my favourite cricketers - Shahid Afridi.

Also urging members to show respect and their thanks to Afridi by changing their display picture to Afridis.

Our prayers are with you. Hope you have a good outing Afridi bhai. May Allah, Bhagwaan, All or any God there is be with you. Stay blessed.

Also dedicating this song to him on retirement.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jmCSBadJcw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i appreciate the sentiment, but perhaps we should merge all tributes, condemnations, and confused praise threads in to one.

i appreciate the sentiment, but perhaps we should merge all tributes, condemnations, and confused praise threads in to one.

Have already respectfully requested it.
[MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] please do the needful.

Family love is the biggest reason behind my respect for Afridi. He has angel daughters and the sheer love and affection and pride he shows for them makes me feel amazing. A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man. Afridi may have deficiencies in being a great cricketer, who doesn't? But what is to appreciate about him is his honesty, never indulging in drugs or other bad things in the game. A thorough family man, an honest guy who lets out his feelings without caring for being politically correct.

I could not think of a better display picture than hium being with his family. This over every sexy poses on a cricket field.

Changing my flag to respected Pakistan flag, one of the most beautiful flags in the world for 1 day only in respect of one of my favourite cricketers - Shahid Afridi.

Also urging members to show respect and their thanks to Afridi by changing their display picture to Afridis.

Our prayers are with you. Hope you have a good outing Afridi bhai. May Allah, Bhagwaan, All or any God there is be with you. Stay blessed.

Also dedicating this song to him on retirement.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jmCSBadJcw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

images (21).jpg

Is this fine?

Mehh.. sorry but the sole reason we didnt pick a specialist spinner is to fit this over the hill individual.

Afridi the man with all the talent now making an exit forever without even tapping into 25 % of that talent. This is what happens when you have no brain, you will always have your little kiddie fans who go crazy over your strike rate and 6s you hit but at the end of the day you will always be a what could've been till end of time...... GOODBYE AFRIDI

But another great man is retiring

Shane Watson

Get over.

Life is more than about cricket. Life is about living proudly and honestly. We have limitations, we have our ceiling. Its about making peace with whom we are and living a respectable and dignified life with what we have. Afridi never claimed to be an ATG, he never said things like Alhamdulillah I am now one of the best in the world. He's always kept a humble demeanour and said that its all God's wishes and the love of fans. It can't get better than that.

Like [MENTION=132715]Varun[/MENTION] also pointed out somewhere that Afridi is usually the first Pakistani cricketer to congratulate opposition players on landmarks and wins. Always has come across as a gentleman despite what media and some fickle fans have tried to portray him as.

But another great man is retiring

Shane Watson

and my respect goes to him too.

he was nothing when he began his career but only through hard work he at one point was one of the most feared cricketers in the world. Bit cocky? Yes but so be it. I respect Watsonj, again tough on the field but a gentleman off the field.

There are like 3-4 threads by FC on afridi repeating the same thing over and over again. Can mods please merge these threads? @#GreenRoads [MENTION=21699]Pakpak[/MENTION] [MENTION=139847]Ankit007[/MENTION]

There are like 3-4 threads by FC on afridi repeating the same thing over and over again. Can mods please merge these threads? @#GreenRoads [MENTION=21699]Pakpak[/MENTION] [MENTION=139847]Ankit007[/MENTION]

I have myself asked them already. :)

Back