Shoaib Bashir's (4/84) impressive performance restricts India to 219/7 as they trail England by 134 runs at Stumps on Day 2 of the 4th Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not sure how this match will pan out.

Cracking test match so far.

Simply Amazing umpiring from Dharmasena...best umpire ever

Had India had as half as many umpires calls this Test as England had so far, there would have moaning and groaning about biased umpiring and BCCI corruption lol .

Not a squeal now .
Some sections of fans are totally silent on this but there was enough disscusion when Crawley was out in last test match.

Why did India rest Bumrah?

He would’ve gotten amazing reverse swing here and imagine if England has to bat again tonight he could have grabbed a wicket or two and made the match competitive again.

Mark wood would have been a handful on this surface. Ball skidding n keeping low

Some sections of fans are totally silent on this but there was enough disscusion when Crawley was out in last test match.

The issue with the Crawley dismissal was it was returned as umpires call despite visually showing as missing the stumps.

India still very much in this- a 100 run deficit and they could skittle England out cheaply to set a chase of 220-240.

Not likely - but certainly not impossible.

Watching Bashir for last half n hour. Can't believe he's playing international cricket. Atrocious bowler

Jurel reminds me a bit of Kedhar Jadhav with his simplistic batting technique and the backlift.

Minimum 100 run lead loading for England.

Stokes' captaincy has been outstanding.
Rohit captaincy was equally appalling. He should have persisted with kuldeep for the lower order as their lower order struggled with wrist spin earlier. Persisting with aswin, who was going at 4 r o and not bringing kuldeeep rt away for foakes at 112/5 was poor.stokes with calling out umpires publicly done a good intimidating job.

Anil Kumble questions England's batting approach on day 2, Kumble said while speaking on local media outlet:

"It was almost a giveaway. The two wickets that he (Jadeja) got were actually gifts from both Robinson and Bashir. He (Bashir) just tried a tailender's slog for the first ball he was facing and that didn't help. Once you give that to Jadeja, he is not going to let the last wicket go."

A tidy partnership between Dhruv Jurel and Kuldeep Yadav steadies the ship with India at 206/7

Rajat Patidar vs England so far:

9(19) & 32(72) in Vizag
0(10) & 5(15) in Rajkot
17(42) in Ranchi

What went wrong for him in this series?

Umpires became trigger happy against Indians lol But plumb were denied against England. Stokes strategy worked clearly.

I can see 3 prominent advertisement hoardings in the ground - Pan Paraag, Shikhar Guthka and Vimal mouth freshner.

Mera bhaarat mahaan

:kp
The creme-a'la-creme in pan masala plastered advt's was the old Kotla stadium in our capital, the glorified car park, that ugly assortment of structures that even a 3 year old could do a better job with lego blocks.....on every nook and cranny was plasted the pathetic paan masala advits or the equally damaging gambliing site advs, but then the politics of the DDCA cess pit put any local ground association into shame - Worldwide.
DDca the top of the pops....luckily for the WC, some wise head in a rare moment of brain clarity thought it apt to get rid of the paan masal adv's and the gambling sites and we have some which could pass muster amongs civilized rationale and long may this continue :) :ua :cool:

Unbelievably stupid batting. This is not even remotely close to how Murali/Herath bowled in some of the matches. These guys folded against bang average bowling thanks to crappy pitch. India always lost on pitches like this. They never learn.

Umpires became trigger happy against Indians lol But plumb were denied against England. Stokes strategy worked clearly.
yeah, i guess England got the better of the marginal decisions and i could say we got the rougher end of the stick. Don't think Stokes is gonna cry oceans of tears on the 'umpires calls' or the Eng 'pop press paparazzi' are going to notice this, when it comes to narrative - they have a straight tried and tested one when touring India or for that matter pak/SC, since ages.
and the locals here who were missing in the last two tests and suddenly woke up to comment and found their voice now that we are doing not so well will not be in a hurry to attest to BCCI is not = ICC....u can bet on it :) :Dah

Rohit captaincy was equally appalling. He should have persisted with kuldeep for the lower order as their lower order struggled with wrist spin earlier. Persisting with aswin, who was going at 4 r o and not bringing kuldeeep rt away for foakes at 112/5 was poor.stokes with calling out umpires publicly done a good intimidating job.
IMHO rohit captaincy was pathetic when Foakes came into bat. Foakes is not the gr8tst exponent of Bazball and he never gonna hit bowlers off their lengths or got for the spectacular and try the exotic reverse switch hits. The moment was ripe for Fwd short leg and silly point with kulli and ash to bowl but rohit went back to siraj and spread the field out, it almost seemed that he felt stopping runs was more imp than taking wickets on a helpful pitch. am not sure what the rationale is in the indian camp.
the way we are place in this test, fantastic fight shown by Eng, but also fantastic fight show by indian lower order. Unless we whittle down the lead and Dhruv jurel needs to lead in this, we are down and out and we have to come back in Dharmshala with all guns blazing.
but good game to Eng, i thought Bashir and Hartley were awesome and kudos to their spirit, this is the first Eng team for almost a decade or maybe the first touring team that is really competing with us on our turf and making us earn our spurs,
a Fantastic series - this one.
:dsGo indiaaaaa!

IMHO rohit captaincy was pathetic when Foakes came into bat. Foakes is not the gr8tst exponent of Bazball and he never gonna hit bowlers off their lengths or got for the spectacular and try the exotic reverse switch hits. The moment was ripe for Fwd short leg and silly point with kulli and ash to bowl but rohit went back to siraj and spread the field out, it almost seemed that he felt stopping runs was more imp than taking wickets on a helpful pitch. am not sure what the rationale is in the indian camp.
the way we are place in this test, fantastic fight shown by Eng, but also fantastic fight show by indian lower order. Unless we whittle down the lead and Dhruv jurel needs to lead in this, we are down and out and we have to come back in Dharmshala with all guns blazing.
but good game to Eng, i thought Bashir and Hartley were awesome and kudos to their spirit, this is the first Eng team for almost a decade or maybe the first touring team that is really competing with us on our turf and making us earn our spurs,
This has to be one of the worst captaincy i have seen in my memory. This is not the first time he let the game drift in this series. Stokes showed how to create pressure artificially.

INDIA ARE 134 RUNS BEHIND ENGLAND AFTER DAY 2 OF THE FOURTH TEST

Shoaib Bashir has taken 4-84 from 32 overs as the hosts closed on 219-7 in Ranchi

Unbelievably stupid batting. This is not even remotely close to how Murali/Herath bowled in some of the matches. These guys folded against bang average bowling thanks to crappy pitch. India always lost on pitches like this. They never learn.

Rubbish pitch prepared by a low IQ cricket board.

INDIA ARE 134 RUNS BEHIND ENGLAND AFTER DAY 2 OF THE FOURTH TEST

Shoaib Bashir has taken 4-84 from 32 overs as the hosts closed on 219-7 in Ranchi
Shoaib Bashir's wonderful 4-84 gave England a golden opportunity to take control of the fourth Test against India in Ranchi.

Off-spinner Bashir, who is playing in only his second Test, bowled 31 consecutive overs in a spell that stretched across all three sessions of the second day.

At one stage he picked up three wickets for five runs in 41 deliveries, then crucially got Yashasvi Jaiswal to chop on to his stumps for 73.

From 177-7, India rallied to 219-7 thanks to an unbroken stand of 42 between Dhruv Jurel and Kuldeep Yadav, leaving the hosts 134 behind the 353 England were dismissed for on Saturday morning.

Joe Root and Ollie Robinson added 102 for the eighth wicket, with Robinson making 58 for his first half-century in Test cricket.

Robinson was the first of three wickets taken in 11 deliveries by Ravindra Jadeja, who mopped up the tail to leave Root unbeaten on 122.

England may have sensed a chance to be batting again before the day was out, but Jurel and Kuldeep fought hard and face the prospect of the second new ball on the third morning.

England have been excellent since they were reduced to 112-5 in spicy conditions on the first morning.

Root mastered the situation, cajoling 241 runs out of England's last five wickets, then the brilliant Bashir led the visitors' steady work through the India batting.

Bar fleeting moments, India were outplayed. They were flat during the first hour as Root and Robinson extended their partnership, then their top order would have been blown away had it not been for the prolific Jaiswal and 38 from Shubman Gill.

There were times when the pitch looked docile, but increasing signs of uneven bounce are a good sign for England as they will bowl last in the match.

As a sub-plot, England benefited from three 'umpire's call' lbw decisions, having questioned the Decision Review System after defeats in the second and third Tests.

India are not out of this, especially if they can defy England on Sunday morning, but Ben Stokes' side will know they are a strong second innings away from being on the brink of a series decider.

Bashir is turning into one of the most inspired England selections in recent memory, having been chosen for this tour after only six first-class matches for Somerset.

Just last summer, he was still playing club cricket for Taunton Deane.

Left out of the third Test following a debut in the second, the 20-year-old showed why he appears most likely to succeed the injured Jack Leach as England's first-choice spinner.

Though James Anderson had Rohit Sharma caught behind for his 697th Test wicket, England's pace bowlers struggled to get the same life out of the surface as India's. Robinson looked rusty and down on pace, having not bowled in any competitive cricket since July.

So Bashir was plugged into a marathon spell that started before lunch and would have lasted until the close had he not switched ends for his final over of the day. He bowled with relentless control, helped by some occasionally defensive fields from Stokes.

England were just beginning to look bereft when Jaiswal and Gill were adding 82, but Bashir got sharp turn to Gill for a first tight leg-before decision.

Rajat Patidar was trapped on the back foot and Jadeja got in a tangle to be caught at short leg.

Jaiswal remained, looking immovable, until Bashir found some low bounce, taking the toe of the bat en route to the stumps. Tom Hartley had been ignored until the 32nd over, but in an 18-over spell of his own, the left-armer had Sarfaraz Khan edge to slip and pinned Ravichandran Ashwin in front.

Bashir was into the longest spell by an England bowler for 11 years and he went down with cramp in his 24th over. For an England squad down to 14 players, assistant coach Marcus Trescothick donned his whites to run the drinks.

It was a huge collective effort, only halted by the determination of Jurel and Kuldeep.

From England's overnight 302-7, Robinson dominated the scoring as he and Root pushed on against the second new ball. At one point he crashed Akash Deep for three fours in the same over.

Robinson's half-century was the first by an England number nine for three years, the stand with Root England's first in excess of 100 for the eighth wicket since 2017.

Root, 106 not out from Friday, was untroubled bar an edge off spinner Kuldeep that fell just short of slip.

However, Root was a helpless spectator as England lost their last three wickets for six runs.

Robinson gloved a reverse sweep at Jadeja to wicketkeeper Jurel and last man Anderson was leg-before. In between, Bashir played a wild hack at only his second delivery, but made complete amends with his beguiling bowling.

BBC Sport

Rubbish pitch prepared by a low IQ cricket board.
Total lottery pitch. Ball literally rolls sometimes under the bat. Jaiswal's delivery barely 3 inches above the ground, it hit his bottom of the bat and rolled on to stumps.

This has to be one of the worst captaincy i have seen in my memory. This is not the first time he let the game drift in this series. Stokes showed how to create pressure artificially.
He is the worst captain we had ,every body who captained alteast done well in home ground ,this idiot is totally useless
Calling from start that he along with the dravid and its lackeys bought indian cricket to lowest level , if kohli were to be there Mukesh / Bharat like players will never come in

England bowled and fielded really well today, but they still need a lead of at least 80 I think… in my opinion they left 30 runs out there in their first innings — 380 would have been a fantastic score — and they don’t want any first innings lead to be reduced below 50. The 4th innings will be very difficult yes, but batting in the 3rd innings here could be really tricky as well.

If England get a lead of 100 and then can score at least 180 in their innings, that’s probably the game… more and more balls keeping lethally low.

Joe Root, at day 2 stumps, said in the post-day interview:

"Looks like it will keep deteriorating.. it did briefly cross my mind [to get to my hundred with a reverse-scoop]... It was nice to contribute, it's been a lean series for me, but hopefully I can continue. I abused Ben's body when I was captain [so not bothered by not bowling], I had a great view of two young spinners while standing at slip. Shoaib is a great young lad to have in the group. Great character, great sense of humour, and huge ability and skill. Great to see him keep coming and asking questions."

Wonder if we will see Ben Stokes bowling in the 4th innings if England need a breakthrough.

On the flip side, as an indian supporter i still think +ve....
If Dhruv, kulli & co can get the lead to below 100 and having said that this potentially could be Dhruv's defining moment/coming of age/legacy (as he only gonna get limited gigs once Rishabh is back and the BCCI cement heads sort out the freakin saas bahu masala soap opera with Ishaan), the two/three guys who have not-stamped-their-class-on-this-series-but-have-the-freakin-potential-to-do so - ie Ash, Kulli and Siraj get going in the Eng 2nd dig or hoping fr the stars to be aligned here & Akash has his Ajit Agarkar-Adelaide 2003 moment, we still could be in with a chance......
TBH Ash is too goood not to go missing for 3 tests in a row, surely Rohit/team mgmt must be telling him he gotta take off and explode like popcorn :)
Else - its Dharmshala with winner takes all, and Rohit better be switched on - come 5th test ....i'd still back us for an xciting ride tommorow!!!...but frankly enjoid the spirit with which Eng have played.....
:haha

Wonder if we will see Ben Stokes bowling in the 4th innings if England need a breakthrough.
If tomorrow thing not going England way then stokes can hold a press conference after stumps and can cry about anything else . enough for umpire to put under pressure . brilliant mind game :kp

England is top of the game . They can take 100 runs lead and score another 200 more runs. Game is almost over for india.

He is the worst captain we had ,every body who captained alteast done well in home ground ,this idiot is totally useless
Calling from start that he along with the dravid and its lackeys bought indian cricket to lowest level , if kohli were to be there Mukesh / Bharat like players will never come in
Well , mukesh , KSB are out, i doubt if they will get more chances moving fwd...i would go easy on 'worst captain we ever had'...end of the day - we are missing Vk, Shami, KL, jazz boom, Rishabh -most of them would make most world XI's going around.
The same Dravid mgmt has given a chance to Akash and see how he has grabbed his chance and hoping he will be the crucial factor in the Eng 2nd dig. the same with Jaiswal. and i doubt if we are to our 'lowest levels' , yes we are down but not out....think +ve bhai :)

am guessing he will if the circumstances warrant which basically mean if the eng spin guys do not strike or our guys get a partnership movin and send the pepper up grumpy jim's nose .....but frankly i feel as an indian supporter there is some unexploded Ammo there, BS is too good a player to go missing by the 4th test of a series and i feel he is going to take off any moment in this series, maybe - its in this test :)

Eng has this game in the bag. India won't be able to chase 250-300 runs on this deteriorating pitch with 4-5 newbies and Eng should be able to put that target even if they bat poorly due to the big first-innings lead.

Eng has this game in the bag. India won't be able to chase 250-300 runs on this deteriorating pitch with 4-5 newbies and Eng should be able to put that target even if they bat poorly due to the big first-innings lead.
If its around 230 - 250 India are in the game for sure.

Squeaky bum time for Idnian fans, they were already panicking yesterday and must be in full trademark mourning and superstition galore :yk2

Getting done by a bowler from the Sundays hahahahaha that’s just brilliant.

They talk of Jadeja and Ashwin as legends / ATG’s through these pitches and there’s Hartley and Bashir, just showing up and rolling an arm.

Your delusional fans and team deserve this humiliation.

The low life gutter individuals attempted to stop Bashir playing in India, now we know why.

They were not ready for our Sundays talent.

Produce these horrible wickets and then pretend their players are ATG’s, you guys are absolute crap, Hartley and Bashir have proved it during this series

If its around 230 - 250 India are in the game for sure.
Below 250 yes, but Eng has to bat badly to not set a target of at least 250. Eng should be looking to set at least 300 plus to be safe. The first-inning lead is often the decider and Eng should take a big lead in the first inning.

It will set up the series very well for the 5th test. Fantastic series so far.

Below 250 yes, but Eng has to bat badly to not set a target of at least 250. Eng should be looking to set at least 300 plus to be safe. The first-inning lead is often the decider and Eng should take a big lead in the first inning.

It will set up the series very well for the 5th test. Fantastic series so far.
England batting badly against Ashwin and co isn't impossible.

As I said before its unlikely BUT if India get under a 100 deficit a 3rd innings collapse could also happen.

Its a tantalising match still.

Issue is what is the so called team management and support staff are doing when captian is doing a pathetic job.their approach has to be analysing the things differently from Captain and what's Is the use of data analysis. Kapil dev ,ambrose etc used to say every bowler has to remember the weakness of all the batsmen played against them and should target that way.what is the use of bowling coach doing there .

Definitely rohit should not lead the aus tour,he will just crumble against Aussies along with that timid coach.

India will be allout within 15 overs. England can then Bazzball the daylights out of India and let them bat in the 3rd session.

The series is heading towards 2-2.

Next match India can rest Ashwin, Jadeja, Rohit, Gill for the IPL and find some random itty bitty players to play against England in the 5th Test. :unsure:

India will be allout within 15 overs. England can then Bazzball the daylights out of India and let them bat in the 3rd session.

The series is heading towards 2-2.

Next match India can rest Ashwin, Jadeja, Rohit, Gill for the IPL and find some random itty bitty players to play against England in the 5th Test. :unsure:
That will be hilarious. Why stop at 5-6 new players, just have the entire 11 players new like SA sent to NZ, lol.

That will be hilarious. Why stop at 5-6 new players, just have the entire 11 players new like SA sent to NZ, lol.
Yea Dravid can hire some spectators to pose as cricket players for the next test. :ROFLMAO:

England batting badly against Ashwin and co isn't impossible.

As I said before its unlikely BUT if India get under a 100 deficit a 3rd innings collapse could also happen.

Its a tantalising match still.
Well, anything can happen in cricket, but as you said unlikely. So the chance of India making a comeback is slim.

Ashwin has exposed himself as a bowler. He was always poor in SENA averaging 38 with ball. Now, on home tracks when pitches are flat and opposition is good, he again got exposed. His batting also is exposed now which was highly inflated by minnow bashing Windies.

If he played in 90s and 00s, he would have been treated very poorly by Lankan batters. If we look at his home career too, he was poor vs England in 2017 and in this series while 2021 was the one where India produced turners and he alongwith Axar created havoc there.

Squeaky bum time for Idnian fans, they were already panicking yesterday and must be in full trademark mourning and superstition galore :yk2

Getting done by a bowler from the Sundays hahahahaha that’s just brilliant.

They talk of Jadeja and Ashwin as legends / ATG’s through these pitches and there’s Hartley and Bashir, just showing up and rolling an arm.

Your delusional fans and team deserve this humiliation.

Quick question - you will stick around till the end of this test match and not run away, correct?

Quick question - you will stick around till the end of this test match and not run away, correct?
He came whenever India performed badly .:kp
Yes English side is well ahead right now but anything can happen as still more than two innings left .

Absolutely embarrassing, there is simply no excuse for being owned by kids, the end result wont mask that you’re going life and death with Bashir and Hartley LOL

The exam question on your disgraceful pitches remain, Jadeja and Ashwin are ATG’s only in your fantasy lands

When you get thrashed, don’t take a long hiatus like you did when Australia gave you a wedgie in your own backyard

The exact same score line after the 4 Tests in England last time where they were saved by Nottingham rain from an embarassing series defeat at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashwin has exposed himself as a bowler

That's a leap. He is certainly way past his peak and is also evidently going through some personal stuff.

If still anyone has any doubts on his bowling abilities, they should go and watch the 2016-17 Indian home season against New Zealand, England and Australia on BCCI.tv. Those were all mostly uber flat tracks and Ashwin was absolutely top class.

The low life gutter individuals attempted to stop Bashir playing in India, now we know why.

They were not ready for our Sundays talent.

Produce these horrible wickets and then pretend their players are ATG’s, you guys are absolute crap, Hartley and Bashir have proved it during this series
It's sport and a goid contest is always watchable! Yes now we know Bashir the greatest off spinner a legend that's why I guess he was being stopped from playing lol ok ! We get it.

I agree that it’s still an intriguing game. If England had bowled India out in the evening session today then it would have been good as done, but there’s still a chance of a lower order rearguard to mitigate the deficit. 3rd innings from England might be the time for a bit of Bazball, try and stretch the lead quickly by taking risks.

Why was kuldeep not used properly with bowl? Indian TM must answer this question. If there was some fitness concern, why was Axar not played then? He himself has beastly record on these pitches and with more assistance for spinners, he would be really dangerous and contributes very well with bat too.

It's sport and a goid contest is always watchable! Yes now we know Bashir the greatest off spinner a legend that's why I guess he was being stopped from playing lol ok ! We get it.

No English ?

I agree that it’s still an intriguing game. If England had bowled India out in the evening session today then it would have been good as done, but there’s still a chance of a lower order rearguard to mitigate the deficit. 3rd innings from England might be the time for a bit of Bazball, try and stretch the lead quickly by taking risks.

It’s not intriguing anymore, it’s a one sided massacre; the dibbly dobblies of club level cricket have had their say in this game. Stokes; a true great, will not throw away this advantage.

Test cricket dwindling, but all will be forgotten because mother of all tournaments IPl will start next month

On such a pitch every average spinner can get one scoot under the bat, bite of the crack. We have seen so many no name bowlers taking 4fers, 5fers in India.

I feel India is not taking this series seriously. They are just going through the motions and hoping that the series is over without too much damage to their ego and reputation at home.

I feel India is not taking this series seriously. They are just going through the motions and hoping that the series is over without too much damage to their ego and reputation at home.
England is far more desperate. Stokes takes ages to set field every single ball. He wants them in precise position every ball. THen he swaps fielders. Has funky field position. It is in contrast with what India did who simply hoped England would give their wickets away. They took advantage of lackluster approach of Indian team especially ROhit sharma b y milking runs silently. Aging players plus total rookies. England with a much better think tank managed to stay above India.

Wonderful Test match on, to be honest, a slightly dodgy surface.
That said, England grafted hard to get their first innings total (with a tour de force from Root). Now they mustn’t throw it away — get a hundred lead on first innings, play more freely in the second innings (because the pitch will be more of a lottery) and India will fold if they have to chase anything above 275.

The English players must be getting down on blended knee to thank the groundsman (the worse the wicket, the more it brings English spinners into the game) and the Indian selectors who “rested” Bumrah (he would be a nightmare to face on this wicket with uneven bounce). The series was still live — did he really need a rest for the IPL….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back