"Soldiers are martyred on the border, so we should not play cricket with Pakistan" : Gautam Gambhir

I don’t think that GG is totally wrong about it. But what I don’t understand is why play Pakistan in CT, WC, AC, WT20, etc. Now I know the cliched logic of ‘oh these are not bi-lateral tournaments’ but doesn’t it make the whole point a bit useless? I mean what is the worth of some random WC or CT or WT20 or AC when our/your soldiers are dying on borders?

Its an MOU it's not a contract. BCCI doesn't owe PCB anything. If they did, PCB could have done something about it. The fact that they have failed to do so proves that they were simply begging for money.

PCB has been doing fine without Playing India, especially now that PSL is profitable. They doesn't need to beg anyone. But if they feel BCCI failed to deliver on their promise then why shouldn't they go after BCCI?

I don’t think that GG is totally wrong about it. But what I don’t understand is why play Pakistan in CT, WC, AC, WT20, etc. Now I know the cliched logic of ‘oh these are not bi-lateral tournaments’ but doesn’t it make the whole point a bit useless? I mean what is the worth of some random WC or CT or WT20 or AC when our/your soldiers are dying on borders?

I have seen a LOT of posters here struggle with this and I can't understand why.

You guys are supposedly knowledgeable cricket fans. Yet you don't seem to understand how bilateral cricket works.

The objective is not to "not play cricket with Pakistan". It is to not have Pakistan make any economic profit from playing cricket with India.

If bilateral cricket is played that means PCB will make money of their home series with India. And the GOI does not want that.

In multi-national tournaments, the country boards aren't earning the profit but the ICC/ACC is.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

I have seen a LOT of posters here struggle with this and I can't understand why.

You guys are supposedly knowledgeable cricket fans. Yet you don't seem to understand how bilateral cricket works.

The objective is not to "not play cricket with Pakistan". It is to not have Pakistan make any economic profit from playing cricket with India.

If bilateral cricket is played that means PCB will make money of their home series with India. And the GOI does not want that.

In multi-national tournaments, the country boards aren't earning the profit but the ICC/ACC is.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Here’s a kicker. ICC distributes certain amount of its profits to the members and associate nations. So when India plays Pakistan in Multinational tournaments, I assume that it becomes indirectly profitable for Pakistan as well. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Here’s a kicker. ICC distributes certain amount of its profits to the members and associate nations. So when India plays Pakistan in Multinational tournaments, I assume that it becomes indirectly profitable for Pakistan as well. Correct me if I’m wrong.

PCB is entitled to their 3.82% profit regardless of Pakistan playing India in tournaments.

But if India tours Pakistan, then PCB is entitled to 100% of gate and broadcast revenue. And the GOI does not want Pakistan making money off the Indian cricket team.

PCB is entitled to their 3.82% profit regardless of Pakistan playing India in tournaments.

But if India tours Pakistan, then PCB is entitled to 100% of gate and broadcast revenue. And the GOI does not want Pakistan making money off the Indian cricket team.

The thing is bro, that there is a big difference between the 3.8% of a few milllion dollars and the 3.8% of a few billion dollars.

So I think it’s a bit counter intuitive for India to play against Pakistan in multinational events.

The thing is bro, that there is a big difference between the 3.8% of a few milllion dollars and the 3.8% of a few billion dollars.

You have misunderstood.

PCB will get 3.82% profit from ICC as long as the Pakistan cricket team plays in the tournament.

This 3.82% profit margin is only for ICC tournaments. Not bilaterals.

It has nothing to do with BCCI or Indian team. And they have no control over it. Pak can play the tournament without ever playing India and still be entitled to get 3.82%. Or they can play India 3 times in the tournament and still will be entitled to the same 3.82%.

But bilateral means PCB will only make money if the Indian team tours Pak/UAE. And like I have said before, GOI does not want that.

Last edited:
You have misunderstood.

PCB will get 3.82% profit from ICC as long as the Pakistan cricket team plays in the tournament.

It has nothing to do with BCCI or Indian team. And they have no control over it. Pak can play the tournament without ever playing India and still be entitled to get 3.82%. Or they can play India 3 times in the tournament and still will be entitled to the same 3.82%.

But bilateral means PCB will only make money if the Indian team tours Pak/UAE. And like I have said before, GOI does not want that.

Let me make it a bit more simple. Pakistan vs India matches makes more profit for ICC. More profit for ICC means more money distribution to the members and associated nations, including Pakistan. So when India refuses to play Pakistan because it doesn’t want Pakistan to make profit but plays against Pakistan in an ICC event which indirectly gives Pakistan more money, in which case India defeats its own cause.

Because Kashmiri separatism and terrorism is happening in India and for decades.

Because Mumbai attacks happened in India.

haven't there been multiple India (RAW) spies found in Pakistan recently? And they've admitted to funding terrorism
Lets not pretend India is innocent. This is a 2-way street

because it will bring revenue. indians politicians and ex cricketers think above money matters.

really?! so you think guys like Wasim Akram care about the revenue PCB generates?

what a childish statement. try and join us in the real world sometime

Its an MOU it's not a contract. BCCI doesn't owe PCB anything. If they did, PCB could have done something about it. The fact that they have failed to do so proves that they were simply begging for money.

That's not how it works. US left the Paris agreement and the Iran agreement, despite agreeing to them. In theory if someone powerful enough was around, something could have been done, but nothing such exists. Similarly, ICC is not strong enough to do anything about BCCI not honouring its agreements. BCCI has gotten away with bullying the ICC several times before.

Let me make it a bit more simple. Pakistan vs India matches makes more profit for ICC. More profit for ICC means more money distribution to the members and associated nations, including Pakistan. So when India refuses to play Pakistan because it doesn’t want Pakistan to make profit but plays against Pakistan in an ICC event which indirectly gives Pakistan more money, in which case India defeats its own cause.

You're still struggling to understand this.

India playing Pak in an ICC tournament doesn't make it a billion dollar revenue from a million dollar one. The tournament makes money as it is. A single Indo-Pak match doesn't double the profits, like you seem to think.

Secondly, considering BCCI gets 22.9% of profits as opposed to the 3.82% that PCB gets, BCCI will always make more money than PCB in ICC tournaments. So it is, in fact in the interest of the BCCI if the tournament makes more money.

It's a completely different situation when it comes to bilateral cricket. Because if India tours Pakistan, PCB is entitled to 100% of the revenue. Which is going to be a far bigger gross amount than the 3.82% PCB receives from ICC.

That's not how it works. US left the Paris agreement and the Iran agreement, despite agreeing to them. In theory if someone powerful enough was around, something could have been done, but nothing such exists. Similarly, ICC is not strong enough to do anything about BCCI not honouring its agreements. BCCI has gotten away with bullying the ICC several times before.

As fast as the Paris climate treaty and the Iran treaty is concerned, there is indeed a body powerful enough to question USA on its actions - the United Nations Organisation.

They couldn't do anything for precisely the same reason why PCB haven't been able to do anything. It's simple - an MoU is not a binding contract. It does not hold up in court.

Why doesn't Gambhir criticize the Modi govt. for not cutting off diplomatic ties at all levels with Pak or review the MFN status accorded to the country ? It's the "simplest" they can do, esp. when Modi has openly said what Indian leaders in the past have been doing covertly, that is to isolate Pak, but it's easy to limit the criticism to Bollywood or cricket because of ideological subjectivity.

And ofc soldiers were also dying when Gambhir was still in the Indian team.

As fast as the Paris climate treaty and the Iran treaty is concerned, there is indeed a body powerful enough to question USA on its actions - the United Nations Organisation.

They couldn't do anything for precisely the same reason why PCB haven't been able to do anything. It's simple - an MoU is not a binding contract. It does not hold up in court.

That's how it works in the world of fairies and elves. In real world, the Iran agreement was a binding agreement (i.e. not a MoU - to make it clear) that the US walked away from, and UN could not do anything about it because UN is only useful on paper. In practice, it holds very little power and is in no power to tell the US what to do. UN is not a court and certain not powerful enough to influence the US to that extent.

Last edited:

The amount bcci receives is much bigger. So its more profitable for bcci.

But more than that India doesnot want other teams to be affected by its issues.

haven't there been multiple India (RAW) spies found in Pakistan recently? And they've admitted to funding terrorism
Lets not pretend India is innocent. This is a 2-way street

1. I can name quite a few UN sanctioned terrorists or terror organisations who are involved in killing Indians. Can you name a few Indian ones.

2. Whats pakistans reaction to its issues is Pakistans decision. India will take its own.

That's how it works in the world of fairies and elves. In real world, the Iran agreement was a binding agreement (i.e. not a MoU - to make it clear) that the US walked away from, and UN could not do anything about it because UN is only useful on paper. In practice, it holds very little power and is in no power to tell the US what to do. UN is not a court and certain not powerful enough to influence the US to that extent.

In the Iran deal, after the US withdrew, countries and unions have enacted a blocking statute in accordance with UNO and WTO, thereby nullifying all US sanctions on countries that trade with Iran.

So as you see, when there was something to be done, it was done.

So if there was something to be done by the PCB, they would have achieved the same by now. The reason they haven't been able to succeed is because there are no grounds for it.

In the Iran deal, after the US withdrew, countries and unions have enacted a blocking statute in accordance with UNO and WTO, thereby nullifying all US sanctions on countries that trade with Iran.

So as you see, when there was something to be done, it was done.

So if there was something to be done by the PCB, they would have achieved the same by now. The reason they haven't been able to succeed is because there are no grounds for it.

My question was why was US able to leave despite agreeing to be part of it for 15 years? That shouldn't be happening as per your logic, but it did.

I agree with him for once. If India plays Pakistan in Asia Cup/ICC events why not play a bilateral series?

I believe India is simply scared of Pakistan once again arriving in their land and beating them at home as we did in 2013. Btw nothing has changed since then, so why not play now?

I agree with him for once. If India plays Pakistan in Asia Cup/ICC events why not play a bilateral series?

I believe India is simply scared of Pakistan once again arriving in their land and beating them at home as we did in 2013. Btw nothing has changed since then, so why not play now?
Gambhir played in that series also. Situation on the border or between two countries were not that different during those days as well but Gambhir still played against Pakistan. So I am thinking this has something to do with his political career.

Gambhir played in that series also. Situation on the border or between two countries were not that different during those days as well but Gambhir still played against Pakistan. So I am thinking this has something to do with his political career.

I agree it makes no sense. You play when both sides are killing each others soldiers but now you've retired and go into politics you dont want to see any play?

Cricket is a unique aspect for both nations where competing against each other will only improve ties. Im hoping bilateral series will start again asap even if the likes of Ghambir or anyone in Pakistan doesn't wish this to happen.

Gambhir is a proper hypocrite. He kept playing against Pakistan in his playing days and is now telling others not to. His intentions are for all to see, he wants to establish his political career in India and what better to win votes than use BJP's good old speak against Pakistan, win votes tactic.

1. I can name quite a few UN sanctioned terrorists or terror organisations who are involved in killing Indians. Can you name a few Indian ones.

2. Whats pakistans reaction to its issues is Pakistans decision. India will take its own.

You won't get any answers, mate. It's a waste of your time.

You won't get any answers, mate. It's a waste of your time.

There is no need to reply to his points as he uses UN when it suits him and denys its views when it doesn't.

Do you want to see Pak v India series or not? If no what are you doing here?

You are wrong on the MOU.
I have already explained this on other threads but yes it is a binding contract if there is consideration.

Not going to repeat again here.

I don’t blame India for not playing against us. I blame PCB for making such a big issue out of it. National pride is more important than signing some dubious MOU with a board that acts like a pharaoh and that can never be relied upon.

There is no need to reply to his points as he uses UN when it suits him and denys its views when it doesn't.

Do you want to see Pak v India series or not? If no what are you doing here?

I definitely want to see India and Pakistan play cricket.

What I don't like however is how many posters here shift all the blame to India and pretend as if Pakistan is in no way to blame for the state of affairs. That's something I definitely don't want to see.

I don’t blame India for not playing against us. I blame PCB for making such a big issue out of it. National pride is more important than signing some dubious MOU with a board that acts like a pharaoh and that can never be relied upon.

PCB needs money. India is the big fish when it comes to audience and TV revenue.

Believe me, that's the only reason PCB's gone to such lengths to play with India.

On topic, GG is a little hate spreading hypocrite :trump nothing more.

PCB needs money. India is the big fish when it comes to audience and TV revenue.

Believe me, that's the only reason PCB's gone to such lengths to play with India.

On topic, GG is a little hate spreading hypocrite :trump nothing more.

But according to some fans here indian audience is not interested in ind vs pak matches anymore so how will that help in generating TV revenue? :inti

People all claim India do not care about cricket. Their pathetic media which is arguably the most biased in the world is completely obsessed about Pak. Clearly remember when Pak beat England at Lords in a test, they started a show sayin "Virat ko India kay taraf say gawab dena hai to sarfaraz." They will not say anything about the piece of **** actor raju shirivastav mocking pakistan nor that sore loser rishi kapoor talking nonsense on twitter, but when sarfaraz sings mauka just to please the crowd they get jealous and Hasan Ali does a random pose on wagah border, they lose their ****.

For heavens sake, stop lying . Your media is crazily obsessed with Pakistan.

Who are they?

The indian posters on Pakpassion?

Or these people?

To refresh your memory, it wasn't the Pakistani side that made big claims and undermined India when the last time we met. It were the likes of Ganguly, Sehwag, Gambhir, Harbhajan, Rishi Kapoor etc. who made claims after claims against Pakistan. It was the Indian media that made videos and hyped the match against Pakistan. It were the indian channels who created videos like Mauka Mauka against Pakistan. It was the Indian crowd that engaged in fist fest against Pakistan after their humiliating loss. It was Indians who broke the record for highest viewership in the CT Final.

I couldn't put it better.
However, the perception has become that Pakistan is the 'naughty boy' begging for a lucrative cricket series.
We need to adapt some bottle and also refuse to play India on the basis of atrocities their terrorist RAW & Soldiers are committing against Pakistan.

I just saw him on a news channel. He can't even say no to India vs Pakistan discussion panel and some people claim that he has the personality to say no to Pakistan matches. Lol. This is pure hypocrisy. I will say this again he was doing it for his political career.

Logic fail again. he is not a neutral that he will stay away from discussion. he is hot blooded patriot and he is doing the right thing by representing the patriotic opinion on any platform and fora he is invited to.

So soldiers are martyred on the border but he wants to talk kirkut with pro-Kashmiri Afridi, even the lady anchor seemed more patriotic as she was trying to create controversy, referring to Afridi's tweets :dw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uz07gEQdoP4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So soldiers are martyred on the border but he wants to talk kirkut with pro-Kashmiri Afridi, even the lady anchor seemed more patriotic as she was trying to create controversy, referring to Afridi's tweets :dw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uz07gEQdoP4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He can't even say no to discussions with pakistanis on a news channel and people were claiming he would have declined to play against Pakistan if it was in his hands. :inti

Seems as if Gambhir has changed his mind over his original comment! Despite his attempts to be impartial I can see all the hate towards Pakistan on bis face.

No bilateral cricket with Pak until they shun terrorism: Jaishankar

Jaishankar said the prevailing unrest in the Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) was the fallout of people's wish to be a part of India.

"People of POK are witnessing the positive impact of the abrogation of Article 370 on Kashmir. The situation in the valley is constantly improving and rapid development is taking place. The positive changes in Kashmir have swelled the resentment of people in POK," said Jaishankar, who was on his maiden visit to Nashik city on Wednesday.

"I feel that PoK should be a part of India. Even people of our country now think about PoK becoming part of India because they feel that our Prime Minister Narendra Modi can do it. They have seen him play an instrumental role of not only abrogating Article 370 but also ushering development in the valley," he said.

Responding to a question on India's long-term agreement to run the Chabahar Port in Iran, the external affairs minister said, "The signing of the agreement was due for a long time. The development of the port will benefit several counties. We will make the US understand why India signed the agreement."

The US had earlier said that the countries considering business deals with Iran "need to be aware of the potential risks".
On India's ties with Canada, Jaishankar said the problem stemmed from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's minority government.

"He is in power with support from a political group that backs the Khalistan movement," he said. India would look forward to better ties with Canada, he added .

Back