South Africa (86/4) defeat Bangladesh (84) by 6 wickets in the ICC T20 World Cup

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
South Africa can consolidate their top two position in Group 1 if they win their Super 12 ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021 match against Bangladesh.

The afternoon match in Abu Dhabi will be the fourth match of the Super 12 stage for both teams. South Africa recovered from an opening game loss to Australia to post hard-fought wins against West Indies and Sri Lanka. With just one more game to play after this one, a win is essential for them to stay in reach of a top two spot.

Bangladesh, meanwhile, are looking for their first points in the group, having lost close games to Sri Lanka and West Indies, and been brushed aside by England.

The Tigers' campaign has faltered on several counts. They haven't been able to hit out in the Powerplay, the large ground sizes haven't helped them clear the boundaries as regularly as they would have liked, and their catching has let them down. To compound things further, they have lost Shakib Al Hasan, the No.1 all-rounder on the ICC Men's T20I Rankings, to injury.

While they are almost out of the reckoning for a place in the semi-finals, they will be desperate to make a statement before bowing out. "Obviously morale has been low after those particular losses knowing that our chance in the World Cup are probably over," said Russell Domingo, the coach. "But we'll be ready to play. Mentally the guys will be up for it and know it's an important phase of the competition. Still two games to go. And guys are really determined to put in a good performance."

South Africa haven't been emphatic in their wins, but have been impressive at crucial points of the games. Where Bangladesh have let games slip away, Temba Bavuma's men have scrapped hard to claim the advantage when under pressure. Against Sri Lanka, for example, David Miller and Kagiso Rabada chased 25 in the last two overs by bringing out a few big hits.

Their challenge will be to quickly adjust to conditions in Abu Dhabi, where they suffered their only loss. Scoring has been hard at this ground, even with pacers enjoying success.

The teams have not met in the format since 2017. South Africa have won all six encounters so far.

Fixture details
The match: South Africa v Bangladesh, Match 30
Time: 14:00, Tuesday 2 November
Venue: Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi

The teams

South Africa are unlikely to tinker with a winning combination for a crucial match. Their bowling attack has been clinical, with all the personnel doing well in clearly defined roles and at different times in the innings. Their batting hasn't been fluent, but they will be pleased that different players have stood up at different points.

Possible XI: Temba Bavuma (capt), Quinton de Kock (wk), Reeza Hendricks, Aiden Markam, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi

Bangladesh are without the talismanic Shakib Al Hasan, who has been ruled out of the rest of the tournament with a hamstring injury. They are also missing wicketkeeper Nurul Hasan, who missed the game against West Indies with a midriff injury. Nasum Ahmed, the left-arm spinner, could be brought back to cover one of Shakib's skills, while all-rounder Shamim Hossain could also get a look in.

Possible XI: Mohammad Naim, Liton Das (wk), Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah (capt), Afif Hossain, Soumya Sarkar, Mahedi Hasan, Shoriful Islam, Shamim Hossain/Nasum Ahmed, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman

Key players

Dwaine Pretorius: The South African all-rounder does a very particular role for his team. Coming in to bowl in the second half of the innings, he has been successful in cleaning up the middle and lower order at the death. His variations of pace, and tendency to bowl full and wide on surfaces that keep low make him effective. Against both West Indies and Sri Lanka, he finished with an identical 3/17.

"I'm trying to vary my pace and my lengths quite a bit even though my line is the same, keeping the guys guessing," he said. "And then I'm trying to make sure I'm bowling to the batters' plan Cs and Ds instead of their plan A. It's not an ego battle out there; it's trying to be effective as much as possible."

Mahedi Hasan: The Bangladesh off-spinner doesn't turn the ball much, but has plenty of variations that make him a threat in the Powerplay. He may be used to attack the left-handers in the South African side and deny them scoring opportunities. He is yet to fire with the bat, although he got a promotion up the order in an earlier game. With Shakib missing, any additional contribution with the bat will be important for the team.

Ladder situation

If South Africa win, they can cement their position as second on the group ahead of Australia, who have played a game fewer. If Bangladesh win, they will likely throw the group open and rise up from the bottom of the table.

What they said

Russell Domingo, Bangladesh coach: "Having worked with South Africa for a long time myself, we know that there's always a question mark regarding the way they play spin. Hopefully the conditions will help us a little bit tomorrow ... [Shakib's injury is] a big loss for the balance of this side. But also in terms of his leadership and the calmness that he brings around the environment in pressure situations, that aspect will be lost. But it does provide an opportunity for someone new to maybe make his first World Cup appearance tomorrow, and we've got to see that as a positive for whoever that young player is going to be."

Dwaine Pretorius, South Africa all-rounder: "What astonishes me is how this team has stuck together. Doesn't really matter what controversy has come out ... If you think about when this group of, let's say, 20 players got together, it's been a few months now. So the guys are, really it's cliché, but we're really forming a family. And that's probably one of the biggest advantages we have when it comes to COVID and bubble life. You're really forced to spend a lot of time together. And you start realising how much it actually means to each other to be playing for your country."

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

Last edited:
Will probably be a boring day at the world cup, 2 big dogs (SA and Pak) against 2 minnows (Bangladesh and Namibia).

Bangladesh (Playing XI): Mohammad Naim, Liton Das(w), Soumya Sarkar, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah(c), Afif Hossain, Shamim Hossain, Mahedi Hasan, Nasum Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Taskin Ahmed

South Africa (Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Temba Bavuma(c), Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi

South Africa have won the toss and have opted to field

Really ordinary batting by BD so far.

They need a solid partnership here.

Brilliant performance by Bangladesh so far today. Bravo.

I got a feeling SA will pull something off against england throwing 2nd spot for this group wide open

I got a feeling SA will pull something off against england throwing 2nd spot for this group wide open

No. I think England should crush South Africa.

But, West Indies may demolish Sri Lanka and Australia and make it to semi-final. It can happen.

Last edited:
Many Bangladeshi fans are blaming the coach. Are they naive or what?

Bangladesh have tried many coaches. Are they all bad? LOL.

Issue lies with other factors. Blaming coach is funny.

This is a must win game for South Africa and they are toying with BD. Minimal celebration on the wickets - it has the feeling of a friendly match for some reason.

Bangladesh - 46/6.

Another wicket.

Oman should've been here instead of Bangladesh. They probably would've done better.

Many Bangladeshi fans are blaming the coach. Are they naive or what?

Bangladesh have tried many coaches. Are they all bad? LOL.

Issue lies with other factors. Blaming coach is funny.

BD has some decent youngsters (As the recent success at U19 level with WC win showed) coming through however, their development especially due to the nature of wickets BD produces has been questionable.

Need wickets with decent pace which support good fast bowling as well as batting against them. Wickets providing too much assistance to spinners at domestic level and international whiteball level curtails the development of pacers and batsmen’s skills development against them. The more balanced wickets one can produce the more chance there is to nurture youngsters with decent talent in a well rounded way.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, BD will never remotely challenge unless the wickets are changed. For years, BD have prepared poor spin friendly wickets to ensure they win games at home. They need to prepare batting tracks where batsman learn to play long innings and make it difficult for bowlers to take wickets. This is the only way to develpo test batsmen and wicket taking bowlers.

BD has some decent youngsters (As the recent success at U19 level with WC win showed) coming through however, their development especially due to the nature of wickets BD produces has been questionable.

Need wickets with decent pace which support good fast bowling as well as batting against them. Wickets providing too much assistance to spinners at domestic level and international whiteball level curtails the development of pacers and batsmen’s skills development against them. The more balanced wickets one can produce the more chance there is to nurture youngsters with decent talent in a well rounded way.

I agree with you.

Many BD fans and board are too short-sighted. They care about some cheap wins instead of long-term goals.

Also, a few wins can cause them to behave very arrogantly. Attitude is very poor and that needs to be fixed first.

As others have mentioned, BD will never remotely challenge unless the wickets are changed. For years, BD have prepared poor spin friendly wickets to ensure they win games at home. They need to prepare batting tracks where batsman learn to play long innings and make it difficult for bowlers to take wickets. This is the only way to develpo test batsmen and wicket taking bowlers.

I tried to raise this issue on a Bangladeshi platform. I was attacked by other Bangladeshi posters. ROFL.

The irony is that from the CURRENT T20 India and BD squads - Shakib, Taskin, Fizz and Mahedi would walk into the Indian 11. This highlights how weak the Indian bowling attack is in this tournament.

Well, this is extremely poor by the mighty Bangladesh, self acclaimed second best white ball team from Asia.
For so long, several countries have supported Bangladeshi Cricket but it is sad to see that even after 25+ years they are still playing like an associate team, Afghanistan came in quite late but still they are giving a tough time to all top teams and they might qualify for semi final as well.

South Africa to get this in 12 overs and make the NRR extremely difficult for Australia to match.

Feel sorry for BD :( 84 all out!

Losing Shakib is basically like losing a top order batsman, a wicket taking bowler, an excellent fielder and a senior figure who boosts morale...

Let's see if they can choke South Africa and make the chase interesting.

Was this wicket really like dynamite? Looking at the score i'd expect it was like playing on a seamers paradise in South Africa?

South Africa to get this in 12 overs and make the NRR extremely difficult for Australia to match.

If Australia beat Bangladesh and West Indies, They should qualify due to having enough points. NRR is not needed then.

South Africa lose their first wicket.

South Africa - 6/1 after 1 over (target: 85).

UAE pitches in general are awful for white ball cricket

They are not

England smashed pakistan like no other during a 2016/17 tour if I remember correctly. You need to show intent. A lot of these sides have a weird mental block when they are out there as if they are batting on some landmine.

I tried to raise this issue on a Bangladeshi platform. I was attacked by other Bangladeshi posters. ROFL.

I used to visit the Bangladeshi cricket forum in the past from time to time but that forum seems to be dead these days.

Got me thinking if the interest for cricket is dying in Bangladesh.

This must be heartbreaking for BD fans and posters.

It is difficult viewing for me as a Pakistan fan.

They are not

England smashed pakistan like no other during a 2016/17 tour if I remember correctly. You need to show intent. A lot of these sides have a weird mental block when they are out there as if they are batting on some landmine.

This tournament is happening after the second half of the IPL took place with some 40 odd matches happening in it. I'm not sure if these wickets saw any cricket prior to the IPL too. The wickets are bound to be tired after all the cricket played since the IPL. Not comparable to the 2016/17 season.

I used to visit the Bangladeshi cricket forum in the past from time to time but that forum seems to be dead these days.

Got me thinking if the interest for cricket is dying in Bangladesh.

No. That particular forum is dead. But, there are many groups on Facebook.

Most are terrible and cringeworthy.

Last edited:
They are not

They are extremely slow wickets. History doesn't lie. Scores have been traditionally low

Why are South Africans being slow here? LOL. They should try to go for a good NRR.

South Africa - 20/1 after 4 overs (target: 85).

The Bangladesh disaster

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/o8qi0v" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

They are not

Trick most of teams didn't understand is you have to build momentum in start to finish over 150+. If batting team first get 100 in first 15 overs and keep wickets there is no excuse for not getting 50 odd runs in last 5 overs with set batsman or hitters and sloggers yet to come. As an example we can look englands inngs yesterday or zaman and babar inngs against Afghanistan. When you are 3 or 4 down in powerplay you need build the innings rather go for slogs.

South Africa lose their 3rd wicket. What's going on? LOL.

33/3.

South Africa are not being clinical here.

Sorry but these are false hopes for Bangladeshi fans. I will still back RSA even if it's 50/5.

Looks to be a quick even bounce pitch, ball is hurrying on.
Gee whiz Taskin...dude has lost weight, looks fitter and srtronger and his action is a lot different.
The one that got aiden markram was smart bowling.
Now if only mehdidy , and the other spinners can back this up and get a few more, will throw the cat amongst the pigeons.
i'd still back saf, BD dont have enough.
What BD should take from this is the spirit they showed, aint easy to come out and fiight when you have only 85 to defend.
Why cant taskin, musty etc bowl like this in tests?

South Africa - 42/3 after 8.1 overs (target: 85).

South Africa are not looking ruthless/clinical enough.

England should fry them.

If Bangladesh were able to get to 120ish they could have made it more difficult for South Africa

Bangladeshi pacers did okay today.

8-0-33-2.

They have bowled out their overs.

Bangla batting let the team down.A score of 135-145 would have been competitive.

I am surprised by South Africa's defensive approach.

They seem very timid compared to Graeme Smith's South Africa.

Not just the skills. Even the mindset.

Last edited:
SA to win today and improve NRR but not sure they can overtake Aus may be Bangladesh beats Australia then 🤔

SA to win today and improve NRR but not sure they can overtake Aus may be Bangladesh beats Australia then &#55358;&#56596;

South Africa have to beat England too probably.

This group is still wide open. South Africa and Australia have good chances. West Indies also have a small chance.

Back