Runs
Stumps - Day 1

Jean-Paul Duminy 2
AB de Villiers (rhb) 51

Bowlers O M R W
Steven Smith (lbg) 4 0 18 1
Nathan Lyon (ob) 23 6 47 2

This is about 10 hours away lol.

SA had a good day, if SA can get between 320-350 I will fancy them to win this.

I see SA getting around 320 with AB getting a century

But overall I expect a draw for this game and SA to win the next one

Hopefully Johnson does as Smith says and rolls over the Saffer tail. Hoping to bowl South Africa at for around 300 and hopefully put on 350+

Rogers will be important and I think Clarke should do fine as should Smith

Hopefully we don't get too obsessed with forcing a high runrate

That new ball first thing should have a huge say, they get through that then 350+ is on.

Too early to be calling a draw though, we have no idea what SA can find on this pitch when they bowl.

Last edited:
How is it a choke when he just isn't good enough?

He is definitely not good enough but he would score when pressure is not on him. If the score was 350/5 you would have expected him to score at least a 50, but, now, since SAF needs him he would go cheaply. Story of his career bar one tour of Australia.

A choke is when you are in a can't miss situation and you still fail to get the job done.

India not being able to convert when the kiwis were 5 down and miles behind thats a choke, failing in a tense situation like 5/214 with a new ball due would not be a choke.

Choke can be used in multiple ways. Choke can be used as when pressure is applied on you and you collapse under pressure.

News to me, you couldn't get more different situations than failing when under the cosh and failing when you are miles ahead and looking unstoppable.

Only place i have ever seen choke used in the other way on a regular basis is on this forum but that doesn't make it correct.

Only place i have ever seen choke used in the other way on a regular basis is on this forum but that doesn't make it correct.

Choke on this forum is used when ever a South African player doesn't perform to his best.

Going to be a big day today and I'm going to be able to watch it - I'm not taking any calls tomorrow morning lol.

As Con said I'm hoping we can roll them for 300. I will take 350 though I think we can still win the game with 350. Any more than that it might be difficult. We may not take ABCD's wicket right away but if we can take JP's and get through their tail that will work just as well. The new ball is going to be really important and I hope they have their radar right straight away. We're not going to get as good an opportunity today than the first half hour or so.

Then bat...this is where Davey needs to curb his natural instincts first up and try and prosper later on.

Cricinfo have parnell listed as next in, he must be a pretty handy bat if he is above vernon.

I really don't know much about him with bat or ball to be honest.

Choke itself means to apply the pressure.. Strangle, squeeze, etc.

LOL you guys arguing about choking. Choking is when you fold when everyone expects you to win, or when you lose from a virtually unloseable position. Failing to perform, particularly when nobody expects you to, is not a choke. That would be like saying that Umar Akmal chokes each time he comes out to bat :D

Choke itself means to apply the pressure.. Strangle, squeeze, etc.

So then if jp gets out first thing tomorrow he applied pressure to the opposition?

You're not saying the aussies choked him you're saying he choked, two very different uses of the word.

No, I am saying JP duminy has a history of throwing it away when his team really wants him to score. He is under pressure right now and he is going to get strangled/(choke) by/(under) that pressure.

Last edited:
Choking is like the Melbourne Starts winning every regular season game of the BBL and then losing the semi final.

Choking is getting set 130 on a relatively decent batting wicket to win and getting bowled out.

Choking is losing 3 wickets in half an hour to lose a match.

Cricinfo have parnell listed as next in, he must be a pretty handy bat if he is above vernon.

Yes he score 2 list A hundreds opening the batting

Waiting for a certain Saffer to come here and post something like, 'So SA have got 214 and have shattered the ego of Aussies' etc. etc.

:moyo

Parnell is a proper all rounder and easily as good a batsman as Vern.

The course of the match lies in the first session today with the new ball. If S.A can see it off without too much damage then 350 is possible. If not S.A could be rolled for 250 which would pretty much be game over.

The course of the match lies in the first session today with the new ball. If S.A can see it off without too much damage then 350 is possible. If not S.A could be rolled for 250 which would pretty much be game over.

I think 300-320 is the most likely score.

Parnell is a proper all rounder and easily as good a batsman as Vern.

I rate him quite highly. He lost his way a bit and stopped really learning but the last two years he is getting back to his best particurlaly with the pace he is bowling at. I just feel that he is at this point in time a better long term shot at test cricket than Ryan. i think he has the ability to average around 30 with the bat.

Normally when Australia have a decent but not spectacular day bowling they come back much better the next morning after a good bollocking from the coaches. I expect all out by lunch with it being a 2h30m session.

I think 300-320 is the most likely score.

That relies on one of these two batsmen putting on another fifty and the tail chipping in with useful runs. But if the ball is swinging around (which it can do at this ground when the conditions are right) you can quickly lose 5 for 30.

Of course if De Villiers has a good day and they stay with him it could be 400-450.

Last edited:
No, I am saying JP duminy has a history of throwing it away when his team really wants him to score. He is under pressure right now and he is going to get strangled/(choke) by/(under) that pressure.

LOL but that's the whole point. JP does have a history of not scoring big, so he can't really choke. Historical non-performers can't choke. Because they don't perform historically. Replace JP with AB De Villiers and your point will be very valid.

That relies on one of these two batsmen putting on another fifty and the tail chipping in with useful runs. But if the ball is swinging around (which it can do at this ground when the conditions are right) you can quickly lose 5 for 30.

Of course if De Villiers has a good day and they stay with him it could be 400-450.

It's AB. When he bats well he's like Tendulkar in that he looks impossible to get out

Saw the highlights what happened to all the grass? :))

So resident Saffers, hows the weather today? Is it overcast or has it cleared out?

How do Aussies bat on this type of wicket ? Because if the new ball is having this little effect so far a draw seems likely.

But I'm pretty sure Steyn will get swing (lots), so the wicket isn't a huge factor if he does.

New Ball seems to just accelerate the scoring for now. Not trying to be nasty but can't these guys swing the ball ?

Something tells me S.A are going to miss Tahir here. A quality spinner might have been just the thing to force a result.

Going to be a hard slog to get wickets I reckon

Siddle just dropped the Test match

Well to be fair to him it didn't carry. Still he could've dived for it

Philanderer's 1st Test here at PE? That's a bit of a surprise. Steyn 16 wickets here at an ave of 25 and a sr of 40.

This is going to be hard, attritional Test cricket. Patience required from both the bowlers, who have to keep putting the ball in the right areas for little reward, and the batsmen who have to grind out the runs. One for the purists :D

So SA have successfully negated Mitch's first spell.

Time for some runs now

Harris going around the wicket to change the angle

This is going to be hard, attritional Test cricket. Patience required from both the bowlers, who have to keep putting the ball in the right areas for little reward, and the batsmen who have to grind out the runs. One for the purists :D

Always has been at Snt Georges park. Wicket is unlikely to deteriorate either.

Mark Nicholas needs to stop whingeing about the pitch. This is the pitch we have to play on, get over it

This is the type of pitch where Siddle will have to carry the bowling on his shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back